It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:42 am 

pizza_Place: The Hut
As I have several kids playing both baseball and softball, and I also coach, I figured I would reach out to see if there are any "gurus" here who would like to chitty-chat about the finer points of the swing, defense, hitting, pitching, etc., especially as they pertain to instructing youth players. I know a fair bit myself, both from my days as an amateur school and travel ballplayer, but mostly from the professionals that have worked with my kids.

Right now, I have a kid who gets all over fast pitching, but seems to mis-hit the ball when facing slow pitching. It is like a complete power outage. I am considering making him wear a patch on his front eye (he is rear-eye-dominant and swings lefty), as I was thinking that maybe he is hitting off of that eye as a guide, but anyone who has a tip or suggestion, please chime in.

Election 2020-The Largest Fraud in the History of Mankind.

*If you believe that Biden won, you also believe that Epstein killed himself*

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:46 am 

I used to talk to my son about facing a junk ball or slower pitcher about looking to go the opposite way. So many times as hitters we want to pull off the ball swinging at it so hard, especially younger hitters. If you work with them to take the ball the other way it forces them to keep the front side in and stay on the ball longer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:49 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
I used to talk to my son about facing a junk ball or slower pitcher about looking to go the opposite way. So many times as hitters we want to pull off the ball swinging at it so hard, especially younger hitters. If you work with them to take the ball the other way it forces them to keep the front side in and stay on the ball longer.

That is another thing, staying closed. I am finding that if you can keep the hands fused to a spot about two fists from the rear shoulder, for as long as you can, you will have great, great leverage and swing whipping velocity, but it is hard to do, as those hands just keep trying to cast.

I don't trust that gizmo the SwingRail, though, as I have demo'd it and it seemed like junk.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:51 am 

FukNuggitt wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

That is another thing, staying closed. I am finding that if you can keep the hands fused to a spot about two fists from the rear shoulder, for as long as you can, you will have great, great leverage and swing whipping velocity, but it is hard to do, as those hands just keep trying to cast.

I don't trust that gizmo the SwingRail, though, as I have demo'd it and it seemed like junk.

Never used any gizmo other than a hitting tee, there are all kinds of drills that you don't need any of that stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:53 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Nuggitt went to "amateur school"?

Sounds right.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:56 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
FukNuggitt wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

Never used any gizmo other than a hitting tee, there are all kinds of drills that you don't need any of that stuff.

Throw us out a drill then! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:58 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
:lol: Putting a patch over one of his eyes will take away his depth perception.

Great idea, Panther.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:03 am 

FukNuggitt wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
FukNuggitt wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

Throw us out a drill then! 8)

Let me talk to my son later when he is done with class, and I will try and remember to put something together. I will ask him some of the things they do in college also, as he is a pitcher.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:05 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:

Great idea, Panther.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shows you how exasperated I am and how I will try just about anything to fix this problem!

:pirat: :pirat: :pirat:

Last edited by Pres-Elect FukNuggitt on Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:16 pm 

Understand. I speak from experience in that area and switched from baseball to soccer once I could no longer pick up the speed/spin.

Aren't there youth baseball-centric boards that cover best practices and such? Drums and golf are my interests and message boards specific to those activities are great to ask questions to help kids along.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Hawg Ass wrote:

This is it. You want to stay back and go the other way. Even with faster pitchers you need to be patient in that the change up becomes a key pitch in high school. By learning to wait back, you end up being able to hit both the fastball and change up.

I was always amazed at how slower pitchers would mess up the better hitters.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:37 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
Aren't there youth baseball-centric boards that cover best practices and such? Drums and golf are my interests and message boards specific to those activities are great to ask questions to help kids along.

Yes, but I'm already here, so why wander?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:23 pm 

FukNuggitt wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

Great idea, Panther.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shows you how exasperated I am and how I will try just about anything to fix this problem!

:pirat: :pirat: :pirat:

Move him up in the box and make him lean back for her than normal on his back leg

Also throw him some low speed bp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I would never move a kid up in the box. They need to stay consistent in where they stand in the box and learn to adjust to the pitch speed. Eventually the kids will see pitchers that throw hard with the fastball and slow with a change up. They have to be able to hit slow and fast in the same at bat.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:32 pm 

FukNuggitt wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

:lol: I wasn't trying to get rid of you.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:45 pm 

denisdman wrote:
I would never move a kid up in the box. They need to stay consistent in where they stand in the box and learn to adjust to the pitch speed. Eventually the kids will see pitchers that throw hard with the fastball and slow with a change up. They have to be able to hit slow and fast in the same at bat.

Disagree that it's never a good idea but agree that ideally you are able to hit from the same spot.

This situation sounds like it's at the point where it's worth a try.

There are MLB MVPs that move up in the box when guessing off speed and college coaches that swear by it (not to mention moving laterally in the box based on an umpire giving a few inches off the plate) so it's not nearly as crazy or cut and dry as you make it sound

Also the guy with the most hits in MLB history is a big proponent of moving up/back in the box at times.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:02 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
FukNuggitt wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

:lol: I wasn't trying to get rid of you.

:lol:

So, lets not bury the lede - do you rock an swashbuckling eye patch, or what?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:04 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Disagree that it's never a good idea but agree that ideally you are able to hit from the same spot.

This situation sounds like it's at the point where it's worth a try.

There are MLB MVPs that move up in the box when guessing off speed and college coaches that swear by it (not to mention moving laterally in the box based on an umpire giving a few inches off the plate) so it's not nearly as crazy or cut and dry as you make it sound

Also the guy with the most hits in MLB history is a big proponent of moving up/back in the box at times.

I'm on both sides of this issue. I can't say I never told a kid to move up/back, but I do definitely prefer an individual adjustment of timing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:51 pm 

FukNuggitt wrote:
So, lets not bury the lede - do you rock an swashbuckling eye patch, or what?

Of course.

I was born with a lazy eye (not the wandering type :lol:) that was misdiagnosed as a damaged retina around age 5 and not properly diagnosed until I was 12. Found out later the eye doctor was a raging alcoholic. Went and covered his ass by "updating" the handwritten chart with a blurb about a possible lazy eye.

Anyway, by that time it was too late to patch the good eye, so the vision in my right eye is like 30/2000. Legally blind and I have no real depth perception, but it's all I've ever known. I was a pretty good left-handed shortstop as a kid, but of course they moved me to 1st base. The ball gets to you much quicker there and I couldn't judge speed/spin that quickly vs. shortstop. Batting became a real struggle as the MPH increased, so I switched to soccer.

I could never be a great jump-shooter in basketball because I don't sense the distance, I basically had to "learn" the distances all over each time I played through more muscle memory than anything else, since you don't have time to think about the distance during a jump shot compared to something like golf.

Except for hitting a baseball, I was never really aware of these things as a kid or young adult for some reason.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:42 pm 

Excellent backstory, Sir! 8)

Enjoy this. A dad from the team groupme'd it out and its damn good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHe3USYb_sE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:50 am 

denisdman wrote:

plenty of pros move forward and back in the batters box

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:03 am 

good dolphin wrote:
denisdman wrote:

plenty of pros move forward and back in the batters box

And then good catchers make pitching changes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:13 pm 

What is the best pitching strategy for attacking batters at the back of the box? I was thinking to have catcher move up as far as they could without interfering. Otherwise, you are adding 2-3 feet to the distance of the Pitcher's target.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:20 pm 

FukNuggitt wrote:
What is the best pitching strategy for attacking batters at the back of the box? I was thinking to have catcher move up as far as they could without interfering. Otherwise, you are adding 2-3 feet to the distance of the Pitcher's target.

Change up

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:54 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
First pitch strike is always strategy #1.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:49 pm 

FukNuggitt wrote:

aren't you talking about youth baseball

Strategy with pitching? Throw strikes. Almost none of them can spot their pitches, like less than a fraction of a percent.

I coached against some hump coach calling pitches and location. None of those kids were hitting spots and, at best they had 1.5 pitches they could throw. I don't know for sure but I'd bet it was one of those programs that charge $5K so he had to give the parents a show

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:28 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
FukNuggitt wrote:

Strategy with pitching? Throw strikes. Almost none of them can spot their pitches, like less than a fraction of a percent.

I coached against some hump coach calling pitches and location. None of those kids were hitting spots and, at best they had 1.5 pitches they could throw. I don't know for sure but I'd bet it was one of those programs that charge $5K so he had to give the parents a show

There are two kids on my team who take lessons and work with their dad a LOT and can hit spots about 40-50% of the time, which basically makes them terminators at this age group. When they pitch, the rest of the team starts making designs in the dirt because unless there is a walk, they have nothing to do. My kid is not one of those, as I am still trying to build his power and mechanics before worrying about honing accuracy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:33 pm 

FukNuggitt wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
FukNuggitt wrote:

There are two kids on my team who take lessons and work with their dad a LOT and can hit spots about 40-50% of the time, which basically makes them terminators at this age group. When they pitch, the rest of the team starts making designs in the dirt because unless there is a walk, they have nothing to do. My kid is not one of those, as I am still trying to build his power and mechanics before worrying about honing accuracy.

You guys clearly aren't talking about high level travel baseball. Every really good team I remember had at least 3-4 kids who were polished and could hit their spots.

There's a massive difference between travel and elite travel.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:44 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
FukNuggitt wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
FukNuggitt wrote:

You guys clearly aren't talking about high level travel baseball. Every really good team I remember had at least 3-4 kids who were polished and could hit their spots.

I ran across at least half a dozen elite teams at 12 years old including Wisconsin's top and never saw a kid who, if you called one of nine sectors was hitting it on purpose. Some kids throw very hard. Some consistently are in the strike zone. None were hitting spots.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:54 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
FukNuggitt wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
FukNuggitt wrote:

I ran across at least half a dozen elite teams at 12 years old including Wisconsin's top and never saw a kid who, if you called one of nine sectors was hitting it on purpose. Some kids throw very hard. Some consistently are in the strike zone. None were hitting spots.

There was one dominant program in Wisconsin and none worthy of respect from the north side or northern suburbs from 2010 through 2016. My oldest played with and against teams that would fly kids in if needed. Several are actually in the majors or dialing it up in high minors/practice squads now. Btw, if you're paying for anything in season, it's not really elite travel.