It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:58 pm 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Quote:
Clicks would rain down upon us if only we could get over ourselves and write about the same outrage as everyone else. Everyone else was doing this because it worked. We needed things to work.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

When I wrote for SB Nation -- part of Vox Media -- we were coached on sensationalizing headlines for more clicks. Like the Atlantic article explains, "Tiger Woods Switches to Nike Golf" got far fewer clicks than "Tiger Woods Makes Shocking Choice." You can imagine some of the headlines during his sex scandal, for example.

The primary focus of the news isn't to inform the public any more. It's to get more clicks faster than the guy down the street.

I see headlines for videos like "Watch X absolutely destroy X's guest", see no one getting destroyed and wonder if the rest of the world is out there saying "yeah, that guy did get destroyed".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
The destroy ones always make me chuckle. I saw both sides of an issue once post that their guy destroyed the other in the same argument. It was all too amusing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:06 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
He is romanticizing old time journalism a bit but he isn't overhyping the way News is being provided today. More than anything this article is providing information on how News business is a for profit industry. Whether it has always been that or not is beside the point. It's that way now and the internet is shaping the way that News is being facilitated.
News has been big business my whole life. "RAZORBLADES IN CANDY, tune in at 10 to hear more!"-style news was around all the time when I was a kid.

This is just more whining about the good old days. We have access to more news than any time in history and we don't have to wait until the next day to see if that news was deemed worthy.

Access to News doesn't mean that what you're being provided with is News. A lot of News today is nothing more than filler.
A lot of newspapers were ads and filler. I'm not sure that comics, advice columns, and classified sections were "news" either.

Sure but you knew what those were.

Now "news" is usually nothing but opinion pieces.

There is still excellent journalism being done. It's on us as consumers to seek it out and not wait to be spoon-fed.
It's really not that hard to stay up to date on the news these days.

It's very easy to stay up to date on news that something happened.

It is difficult to stay up to date on what objectively happened.

Still, the Cubs were owned by a major media conglomerate for a good portion of our lives who actively sought to increase their popularity among the masses despite through its reporting, so maybe it has always been biased

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
good dolphin wrote:
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Quote:
Clicks would rain down upon us if only we could get over ourselves and write about the same outrage as everyone else. Everyone else was doing this because it worked. We needed things to work.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

When I wrote for SB Nation -- part of Vox Media -- we were coached on sensationalizing headlines for more clicks. Like the Atlantic article explains, "Tiger Woods Switches to Nike Golf" got far fewer clicks than "Tiger Woods Makes Shocking Choice." You can imagine some of the headlines during his sex scandal, for example.

The primary focus of the news isn't to inform the public any more. It's to get more clicks faster than the guy down the street.

I see headlines for videos like "Watch X absolutely destroy X's guest", see no one getting destroyed and wonder if the rest of the world is out there saying "yeah, that guy did get destroyed".

Youtube does that a lot now, especially on news article.

"Shepard Smith REACTS to Trump's latest comments!"

If you read it without the capitalized letters and exclamation mark, it's just a normal sentence. But when you see those things, it makes it seem like Shep just went nuts on Trump. It's ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:09 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
The destroy ones always make me chuckle. I saw both sides of an issue once post that their guy destroyed the other in the same argument. It was all too amusing.

JLN vibe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's

TUCKER CARLSON USES EYEBROWS TO HUMILIATE BILL NYE THE LYIN' GUY!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:57 pm 

There is a good chance I am wrong but journalism really died at the time of the Simpon/Goldberg murders.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
good dolphin wrote:
There is a good chance I am wrong but journalism really died at the time of the Simpon/Goldberg murders.

I agree with that to a large extent. I know what you're saying. On the other hand, I was fascinated by some of the frank discussions people had about the law and race and class and crime, and it was really interesting to see how that case clarified (or confused) political lines. In other words, I was surprised when I saw who rallied to OJ's side and who said he was guilty or focused on other aspects of the case (violence against women, celebrity crimes, etc.). The intensity of the discussion--in print and on the tayvay--is not something I really have seen since, not even 9/11 or the Trump campaign.

Nevertheless, 90% of media coverage of OJ was friggin' garbage.