It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
long time guy wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
So is everyone else that disagrees with you. That shit is about as hollow as the vagina of Vanessa Del Rio right about now.

The fact remains that you immediately compared it to studies that you consider to be "B.S" then proceeded to tell me what I "think" when i up until that point i Hadn't provided it.

It is part of a consistent pattern. It was no surprise to me that you would be among the first to discredit it either.

I immediately compared it to other response-dependent studies because...that's how thinking and learning and deduction all work, you know that right?

What question did I ask of the study that was illegitimate?

You compared it to a study you consider "B.S." Is that fact somehow lost on you? That is what is commonly known as a"loaded term".

I compared it to the "BS '1 in 5' studies" because those studies are incredibly dependent on response rate to even out self-selection bias, just like your study. The key was asking about response rate (which you still haven't posted, BTW), instead seizing on my use of "BS" to describe something else.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:11 am 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Better far right than far wrong

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:27 am 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Better far right than far wrong

Not necessarily mutually exclusive.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:32 am 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
So is everyone else that disagrees with you. That shit is about as hollow as the vagina of Vanessa Del Rio right about now.

The fact remains that you immediately compared it to studies that you consider to be "B.S" then proceeded to tell me what I "think" when i up until that point i Hadn't provided it.

It is part of a consistent pattern. It was no surprise to me that you would be among the first to discredit it either.

I immediately compared it to other response-dependent studies because...that's how thinking and learning and deduction all work, you know that right?

You compared it to a study you consider "B.S." Is that fact somehow lost on you? That is what is commonly known as a"loaded term".

I compared it to the "BS '1 in 5' studies" because those studies are incredibly dependent on response rate to even out self-selection bias, just like your study. The key was asking about response rate (which you still haven't posted, BTW), instead seizing on my use of "BS" to describe something else.

Why focus on response rate? That's your point so the onus is on you to validate it. When i speak of minimizing racism this what i'm referencing. It's "oh this can't possibly be true" reaction to something you don't agree with. The fact remains that these were the results.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:37 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
The modern left has more contempt for human life than the Nazi's. But the modern left lacks a tool as powerful as the centuries of Prussian military tradition that made the Nazi's so capable of imposing themselves on others. Well, at least for now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:38 am 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Why focus on response rate? That's your point so the onus is on you to validate it. When i speak of minimizing racism this what i'm referencing. It's "oh this can't possibly be true" reaction to something you don't agree with. The fact remains that these were the results.

We really need to minimize racism

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
America wrote:
The modern left has more contempt for human life than the Nazi's. But the modern left lacks a tool as powerful as the centuries of Prussian military tradition that made the Nazi's so capable of imposing themselves on others. Well, at least for now.

Happy New Year!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:56 am 

long time guy wrote:

Why focus on response rate? That's your point so the onus is on you to validate it.

Because response rate is how you understand the likelihood of a biased sample. Extrapolating from a biased sample, at least without understanding the bias and minimizing its impact on the extrapolation, is bad science.

Let's say you want to determine whether a coin is biased or true. To do this, you set up a coin-flipping machine in an enclosed space, and have it flip 100 sets of 10 flips each. You suspect the coin is true, and thus would be looking for something close to 50% of the sets to be biased towards heads, and another 50% to be biased towards tails, such that the set imbalances cancel each other out (let's say no more than 1 heads/tails imbalance). You set your coin machine up to do its thing, with a camera to observe and verify results, then go about your other business. At the end, you look at the video, and realize that due to a malfunction, the camera only recorded about 20 sets of flips, and in those recorded sets you found 14 "biased" sets in favor of one side of the coin. The empirical evidence points to a biased coin—after all, 70% of observed trials showed bias—but you know there were trials that you never got to see, trials that might point to an influence of random chance in the cluster of "biased" sets you actually observed. The coin could still be biased, but you would be (or should be) uncomfortable declaring the coin biased based on a "response" rate of 20% that returns an unusual result.

Quote:
When i speak of minimizing racism this what i'm referencing. It's "oh this can't possibly be true" reaction to something you don't agree with. The fact remains that these were the results.

So you're not actually interested in good science, you're interested in posting scientific-sounding things and having them not be challenged. You have just equated "good science" (questioning results and looking for evidence) with "minimizing racism". Thank you for being so clear about it. Good science is minimizing racism. Thanks, LTG.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:29 am 

long time guy wrote:

Why focus on response rate? That's your point so the onus is on you to validate it.

Because response rate is how you understand the likelihood of a biased sample. Extrapolating from a biased sample, at least without understanding the bias and minimizing its impact on the extrapolation, is bad science.

Let's say you want to determine whether a coin is biased or true. To do this, you set up a coin-flipping machine in an enclosed space, and have it flip 100 sets of 10 flips each. You suspect the coin is true, and thus would be looking for something close to 50% of the sets to be biased towards heads, and another 50% to be biased towards tails, such that the set imbalances cancel each other out (let's say no more than 1 heads/tails imbalance). You set your coin machine up to do its thing, with a camera to observe and verify results, then go about your other business. At the end, you look at the video, and realize that due to a malfunction, the camera only recorded about 20 sets of flips, and in those recorded sets you found 14 "biased" sets in favor of one side of the coin. The empirical evidence points to a biased coin—after all, 70% of observed trials showed bias—but you know there were trials that you never got to see, trials that might point to an influence of random chance in the cluster of "biased" sets you actually observed. The coin could still be biased, but you would be (or should be) uncomfortable declaring the coin biased based on a "response" rate of 20% that returns an unusual result.

Quote:
When i speak of minimizing racism this what i'm referencing. It's "oh this can't possibly be true" reaction to something you don't agree with. The fact remains that these were the results.

So you're not actually interested in good science, you're interested in posting scientific-sounding things and having them not be challenged. You have just equated "good science" (questioning results and looking for evidence) with "minimizing racism". Thank you for being so clear about it. Good science is minimizing racism. Thanks, LTG.

No the scientific portion has already been conducted but you seek to reinterpret it to fit your worldview. If you seek to extrapolate response rates that is your journey not mine.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:35 am 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Quote:

No the scientific portion has already been conducted but you seek to reinterpret it to fit your worldview. If you seek to extrapolate response rates that is your journey not mine.

If the response rate and accounting for same have already been done, then why has it taken you so long to post them? Nothing in what you posted of that study mentioned response rate nor any kind of correction for sample bias. Thus, the response rate and how the study accounted for them are begged questions, and my hunch is that there was no correction made.

Once again, you demonstrate that you are not really interested in science, you are interested in posting things and labeling anyone that challenges them as a racist/alt-Right-er. And before you get your pants in a bunch about "SHOW ME WHERE I CALLED YOU A RACIST": You have been going through my post history, literally all morning, bumping threads with quotes of me in an obvious attempt to imply that I'm a racist. You want to know why people on the board so often say you call others racist? This is why. You imply people are racist literally all the time, and people are sick of it, and you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:36 am 

If it were 1% then the report wouldn't be considered "scientific sounding" either. Herein lies the problem.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:40 am 

long time guy wrote:
If it were 1% then the report wouldn't be considered "scientific sounding" either. Herein lies the problem.

If the response rate were 1%? Yeah, no shit, because it wouldn't be scientific. Extrapolations based on a 1% response rate, even when the potential pool of respondents is 5 million people, is especially bad science when the thing in question is as varied and dynamic as political views.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:43 am 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Quote:

If the response rate and accounting for same have already been done, then why has it taken you so long to post them? Nothing in what you posted of that study mentioned response rate nor any kind of correction for sample bias. Thus, the response rate and how the study accounted for them are begged questions, and my hunch is that there was no correction made.

Once again, you demonstrate that you are not really interested in science, you are interested in posting things and labeling anyone that challenges them as a racist/alt-Right-er. And before you get your pants in a bunch about "SHOW ME WHERE I CALLED YOU A RACIST": You have been going through my post history, literally all morning, bumping threads with quotes of me in an obvious attempt to imply that I'm a racist. You want to know why people on the board so often say you call others racist? This is why. You imply people are racist literally all the time, and people are sick of it, and you.

I have already illustrated my point. I'm done. This is the essence of each and every discussion involving you. Let's turn it into an academic exercise so that the original point is somehow lost in the shuffle.

If you have a problem with the response rate (which incidentally only you seem to have the problem) then do research on it. I'm fairly certain that if it were something that coincided with your way of thinking you wouldn't have a problem.

That's why i posted the stuff about Charlottesville. Did you provide such inquiry when it involved that particular piece of reporting? Or did you find a single source and let it fly? We both know the answer to that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:44 am 

long time guy wrote:

If the response rate were 1%? Yeah, no shit, because it wouldn't be scientific. Extrapolations based on a 1% response rate, even when the potential pool of respondents is 5 million people, is especially bad science when the thing in question is as varied and dynamic as political views.

I'm referencing poll results. Response rate is for you yet again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:46 am 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Get this through your head: No matter the results, the questions about response rate and bias correction are valid, as is the question about the meaning of "acceptable" as used in the polling question.

I'm not holding your hand through this again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:54 am 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Get this through your head: No matter the results, the questions about response rate and bias correction are valid, as is the question about the meaning of "acceptable" as used in the polling question.

I'm not holding your hand through this again.

If its a legit question then find an answer or don't. You have difficulty with logic. Its your search. What part of that don't you understand? Simply asking whether there is a problem with response rates doesn't mean that there is a problem with response rates.

It is another one in a long line of feeble attempts to discredit something that you don't agree with. It invariably becomes a tedious discussion regarding what the definition of "is" is. Tiresome and boring to be honest.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/percent-americans-neo-nazis-acceptable-survey-article-1.3430885

Quote:
The poll surveyed 1,014 adults

The poll surveyed adults across the country from Aug. 16 to 20 through calls to their cell phones or land lines.

Self-biasing sample, much? Just like the BS "1 in 5" studies, it is imperative to know the response rate.

Also, what exactly does "find acceptable" mean? As in, it is acceptable for people to voice those views without fear of violent reprisal or sanction from the government? If so, this poll is alarming, but not in the way you think it is.

Immediate efforts were made to discredit the study.

Questioning a study is not the same as discrediting a study. It was once an active part of academia. Now, not so much.

I don't think it's fair to call him alt right either.

Having said that, one can understand why you may feel the way you do ltg.

JLN questions a scientific study in one thread, while posting as fact that Trump is being attacked by posting opinions of lawyers that side with him, that have NO knowledge of what Mueller is doing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:10 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/percent-americans-neo-nazis-acceptable-survey-article-1.3430885

Quote:
The poll surveyed 1,014 adults

The poll surveyed adults across the country from Aug. 16 to 20 through calls to their cell phones or land lines.

Self-biasing sample, much? Just like the BS "1 in 5" studies, it is imperative to know the response rate.

Also, what exactly does "find acceptable" mean? As in, it is acceptable for people to voice those views without fear of violent reprisal or sanction from the government? If so, this poll is alarming, but not in the way you think it is.

Immediate efforts were made to discredit the study.

Questioning a study is not the same as discrediting a study. It was once an active part of academia. Now, not so much.

I don't think it's fair to call him alt right either.

Having said that, one can understand why you may feel the way you do ltg.

JLN questions a scientific study in one thread, while posting as fact that Trump is being attacked by posting opinions of lawyers that side with him, that have NO knowledge of what Mueller is doing.

It is a problem if you exhibit bias by comparing it to a study that you consider "B.S.". Scientific studies are supposed to be devoid of bias.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Asking what questions were used in a study is pretty basic stuff.

The uneven nature of his responses and logic don't make him alt right or anything else necessarily.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:23 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I think JLN is extremely partisan but not racist or alt right or Nazi or whatever similar label that's used. That's how his posts read to me. I can understand how someone may not agree.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:38 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Nas wrote:
I think JLN is extremely partisan but not racist or alt right or Nazi or whatever similar label that's used. That's how his posts read to me. I can understand how someone may not agree.

There's a growing distinction between the alt-right and the "alt-lite," the latter lacking the rampant antisemitism and violence of the former while concentrating on more innocuous things like minor culture-war issues and general media whoring. Mike Cernovich, Dave Rubin, Jordan Peterson, Joe Rogan, Milo, and Paul Joseph Watson can all be considered alt-lite, plus scores of anonymous youtube mooks making interminable "just asking questions" videos.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:14 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Nas wrote:

There's a growing distinction between the alt-right and the "alt-lite," the latter lacking the rampant antisemitism and violence of the former while concentrating on more innocuous things like minor culture-war issues and general media whoring. Mike Cernovich, Dave Rubin, Jordan Peterson, Joe Rogan, Milo, and Paul Joseph Watson can all be considered alt-lite, plus scores of anonymous youtube mooks making interminable "just asking questions" videos.

I've always seen Cernovich referred to as a virulent racist, but I don't follow him on Twitter. Just weird to see that name right next to Dave Rubin, whom I respect.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:31 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Well, Cernovich has distanced himself from Richard Spencer and the like so that he can get more media exposure and sell more fake pills.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
9% is probably way low.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:25 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
America wrote:

The Nazis were into cosplay and shit, but I think they generally had the right idea. Especially economically. Hitler showed the world what you could do without usury, so the Jews made an example out of him and dragged out their "6 million Jews" thing which had been around since at least the 1900s (decade) to come up with a Holocaust that would make Hitler the most evil guy forever.

But then again Jews love to put crosses everywhere as a reminder that they killed their own god so i mean, you know, c'est la vie right? Know your place, goyim, the Talmud says god created the goyim to serve Jews because beasts serving jews would be beneath the Jews. I don't remember God saying that but if the Jews said it it must be gospel cuz they're God's chosen people: just ask them.

So if their god came back they'd prolly try to kill him/her/whatever, but you know, a funny thing about Nazis.... You know full 14/88? Heil Hitler? https://youtu.be/JFT7hNhop7w well lol you COULD spell nazi not-see but then again HOW could you nazi see that coming?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
sinicalypse wrote:

The Nazis were into cosplay and shit, but I think they generally had the right idea. Especially economically. Hitler showed the world what you could do without usury, so the Jews made an example out of him and dragged out their "6 million Jews" thing which had been around since at least the 1900s (decade) to come up with a Holocaust that would make Hitler the most evil guy forever.

But then again Jews love to put crosses everywhere as a reminder that they killed their own god so i mean, you know, c'est la vie right? Know your place, goyim, the Talmud says god created the goyim to serve Jews because beasts serving jews would be beneath the Jews. I don't remember God saying that but if the Jews said it it must be gospel cuz they're God's chosen people: just ask them.

So if their god came back they'd prolly try to kill him/her/whatever, but you know, a funny thing about Nazis.... You know full 14/88? Heil Hitler? https://youtu.be/JFT7hNhop7w well lol you COULD spell nazi not-see but then again HOW could you nazi see that coming?

That was . . . weird.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:30 pm 

Muh 6 gorillion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:15 pm 

I wonder how many would agree with communist or socialist views if they were presented blindly to the answers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:19 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
good dolphin wrote:
I wonder how many would agree with communist or socialist views if they were presented blindly to the answers

We're a quasi socialist nation.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:34 pm 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

We're a quasi socialist nation.

but not many in the population would agree with the label even if it fit the definition

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next