It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Nas wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
It seems he may have totally ruined the Republican party going forward.

This seems like a real possibility.

Fake news! They're stronger than ever. It's just not your father's Republican Party

this is just not true. They're in the death throes. The religious section is going to split away from that party over the next 3 years.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:56 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
City of Fools wrote:
Nas wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Fake news! They're stronger than ever. It's just not your father's Republican Party

this is just not true. They're in the death throes. The religious section is going to split away from that party over the next 3 years.

I doubt that really.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
pittmike wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

I doubt that really.

Yeah, if they turned out for Trump, there's no reason to expect them to sit out or split off when it comes to future Republicans far more competent at paying lip service to their world view.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Nas wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Yes. Agreed. Not saying the Republican Party is going anywhere, but it won't be the traditional Republican Party.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Evangelicals will still vote Republican. But they are a shrinking lot. Angry old whities are dying off. I just don't see white supremacists being able to make up the difference. How many 16-25 year olds are on board with his idiocy? I don't think many.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Hatchetman wrote:
Evangelicals will still vote Republican. But they are a shrinking lot. Angry old whities are dying off. I just don't see white supremacists being able to make up the difference. How many 16-25 year olds are on board with his idiocy? I don't think many.

White supremacy? Count me in.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:53 pm 

Republicans aren't going away as long as they are the party of lower taxes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:55 pm 

This has been going on forever. The republicans are dying. Then another generation of college dopes figures things out and becomes republicans.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:59 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
pittmike wrote:
This has been going on forever. The republicans are dying. Then another generation of college dopes figures things out and becomes republicans.

I don't know about that. More and more it seems that the liberals you'd expect to age into being economically conservative are doing so while remaining loyal to the Democrats on social/cultural issues, thereby moving the party rightward in many respects. As I've said before, the ideal endgame for the Democratic Party is to be Woke Goldman Sachs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
If they are truly getting rid of the territorial corporate tax system, the AMT, and lowering the corporate rate, then that is a good start. It is instructive to see folks like Gov. Cuomo lamenting the elimination of the state and local tax deductions knowing it will hit NY hard. I guess high tax rates don't matter until they do.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:14 pm 

denisdman wrote:
If they are truly getting rid of the territorial corporate tax system, the AMT, and lowering the corporate rate, then that is a good start. It is instructive to see folks like Gov. Cuomo lamenting the elimination of the state and local tax deductions knowing it will hit NY hard. I guess high tax rates don't matter until they do.

I read the initial tax reform story today with glee. Especially the part that NY and CA will get walloped.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:14 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I don't know about that. More and more it seems that the liberals you'd expect to age into being economically conservative are doing so while remaining loyal to the Democrats on social/cultural issues, thereby moving the party rightward in many respects. As I've said before, the ideal endgame for the Democratic Party is to be Woke Goldman Sachs.

It is fine with me if the new republicans are more center socially.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:41 pm 

pittmike wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I read the initial tax reform story today with glee. Especially the part that NY and CA will get walloped.

I harbor no ill will towards those states. They are both great in their own ways. However, this fallacy that taxes do not have an impact on economic growth or behavior is flat wrong. Tax cuts do not pay for themselves, but they certainly are helpful to increasing economic activity and long term growth over the base case.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:21 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Who said anything about Republicans? I just mean that the Democrats will be the "socially liberal, economically conservative" party people thought the Republicans would become, while the Republicans descend into fascist madness.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Wasn't that Hillary's campaign?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:32 pm 

Yes. WILL BREAKING UP BIG BANKS END SEXISM? NO!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:34 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Who said anything about Republicans? I just mean that the Democrats will be the "socially liberal, economically conservative" party people thought the Republicans would become, while the Republicans descend into fascist madness.

I don't believe this so called facist trend will be long running.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:37 pm 

Kind of odd to see so much alleged sexism coming out of supposedly socially liberal San Francisco and its tech industry.

But the boom boom room stories of yesteryear on Wall Street were always entertaining. We cover those claims. I recall one suit early in my career where a stock broker called a co-worker his Greek goddess and wanted to motor boat her twin peaks. And those company Christmas parties...I'll save that gem for another day.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:28 am 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Yeah, but how many are actually moving to the economically conservative right? The fact that Bernie Sanders came close to winning the Democratic primary on promises of unicorns and free shit is pretty alarming. Then you have Antifa beating the shit out of everyone. I understand Mr. Beta male recent college grad who lives in the suburbs with a good job might be that fiscal conservative/social liberal that the party wants, but based on a lot of what is happening, and lot of it is reactionary to Trump, I just don't see it. The Republican party has it's fringe groups and definitely runs the gambit of people in it, but the Democratic party is the same way. The blue collar union guys from Sandusky, OH are pretty far on the spectrum from The Occupy Wallstreet protester who hasn't showered in 13 days.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:32 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Recent college grads may be betas, but they def don't have jobs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:11 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:

People are putting way too much stake into Trump and the future of the Republican party. His approval ratings are historically low and trending to be even worse. The Republicans aren't going to be planning their future around the Trump agenda.

Now, I'd love it if the Democrats did become the "socially liberal, economically conservative" party but there are too many Democrats that want government to control as much as they can to get there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:14 am 

pittmike wrote:

Im no big city grammar professor but....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:14 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Im no big city grammar professor but....

Good catch.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:16 am 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
Jbi11s wrote:
Recent college grads may be betas, but they def don't have jobs.

Ah. Good point. Beta males living in their parents' basements.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:07 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Well, after some searching, I give Trump credit for two accomplishments: signing the Department of Veterans Affairs Accountability Protection Act of 2017 and pulling the U.S. out of the TPP.

And unintentionally, he has upended the two-party system because of personality cult. In the short-term to medium-term, this will cause him to get nothing done legislatively, because he has pitted himself against both parties (aside from siding with the establishment candidate in Alabama), but in the long-term it may be a boon for the country. In his farewell address, George Washington warned against partisanship and political parties:

"However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion."

The problem is that Trump is the type of cunning, ambitious and unprincipled person Washington was speaking out against.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:09 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Waived the Jones Act which gets aid to PR much faster... After extreme public shaming when it was announced they wouldn't repeal it yesterday.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:35 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
He saved us from Hillary!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:37 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
The Jones Act does a lot of really good things for a lot of people, shame liberals want it destroyed. Just more anti-labor policies from the anti-labor party.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Hatchetman wrote:

Trump is quite popular with teenagers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
America wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Trump is quite popular with teenagers.

Yeah, the losers that can't get a date. They won't be reproducing anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next