It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:00 pm 

Yes, has done one thing.

He has proven that he has the singularly spectacular ability to fuck up everything he touches.

Last edited by Regular Reader on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:18 pm 

One Post wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
One Post wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
One Post wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The funny thing is that everyone said the Republican Party was doomed because of what GW did.

The Republican Party is probably in trouble because of demographics, actuarial tables, and human physiology:

In 1980 Reagan won 55% of the white vote and received approx 22% more votes than Carter, in 2016 Trump won 58% of the white vote and received approx 4% fewer votes than Clinton.
These things are always changing though. The part of lower taxes and fiscal responsibility(even if it is hollow) is always going to be around.

I mean, are we talking about the Democrats being the only major political party in America? No chance.

Are you saying that I claimed the Democrat party would be the only major political party in America? Not sure I remotely said anything like that.

I merely pointed out that demographics, actuarial tables, and human physiology are currently trending in the wrong direction for the current electoral base of the Republican party. I'm not an expert but I'm guessing the past 18-24 months of GOP political discourse and policy decisions have not improved the parting standing with those the party is not currently aligned with demographically.

Also, it isn't unprecedented for a party to exert a sustained period of electoral dominance. I'd point to the current Republican advantages at the state level, and at a federal level, starting with the election of Roosevelt in 1933 and ending with Carter in 1980 a Democrat was in the WH for all but 16 years, the Democrats controlled the House for all but 2 years, and controlled the Senate for all but 4 years.

Do you think the Republican Party is doomed. I'm not sure why but you seem.to invent your own opinion on my opinion and react to that.

Just quote where I said they were doomed. It didn't happen.

What I said was that demographics, actuarial tables and human physiology are currently working against the future prospects of the Rebublican party as it related to their core voter base.

Ok. I don't get why you replied to me then.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:46 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Isn't he running the administration with the highest turnover rate?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:52 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
He just wiped out all of Puerto Rico's debt. :wink:

"They owe a lot of money to your friends on Wall Street. We will have to wipe that out," Trump told Fox News' Geraldo Rivera in an interview in San Juan, the Puerto Rican capital.

The U.S. territory has been struggling with a financial crisis for years. And that was before Hurricane Maria slammed into the island two weeks ago, causing widespread devastation and leaving millions of people without power or water.

Puerto Rico's huge debt burden -- totaling $73 billion -- forced it to file in May for the biggest U.S. municipal bankruptcy in history.

"I don't know if it's Goldman Sachs, but whoever it is, you can wave goodbye to that."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:43 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I guess I replied to you because I agree that a dialogue existed surrounding the Bush presidency hurting the Republican party, but his faults were largely tactical errors. Politics in the middle east is difficult, a financial crisis that he had little hand in creating blew up in his face, etc. For all of the bad or good of Bush depending on who you are, he wasn't insulting or disparaging to any demographic group.

So I replied to you because I think there is a contrast between why people may have been calling for a doomed GOP after Bush (policy decisions - and any party/person in power for 8 years is going to have policy errors) versus the present situation where the current administration has consistently and repeatedly insulted, disparaged, humiliated, degraded, and objectified several ethnic groups that are (a) not currently strong supporters of the Republican party and (b) currently surging in terms of political power, whereas the political base of the Republican party, is quite literally, dying.

So I think there is a distinct difference between damage done to the Republican Party from Bush vs. Trump.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:45 am 

One Post wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I guess I replied to you because I agree that a dialogue existed surrounding the Bush presidency hurting the Republican party, but his faults were largely tactical errors. Politics in the middle east is difficult, a financial crisis that he had little hand in creating blew up in his face, etc. For all of the bad or good of Bush depending on who you are, he wasn't insulting or disparaging to any demographic group.

So I replied to you because I think there is a contrast between why people may have been calling for a doomed GOP after Bush (policy decisions - and any party/person in power for 8 years is going to have policy errors) versus the present situation where the current administration has consistently and repeatedly insulted, disparaged, humiliated, degraded, and objectified several ethnic groups that are (a) not currently strong supporters of the Republican party and (b) currently surging in terms of political power, whereas the political base of the Republican party, is quite literally, dying.

So I think there is a distinct difference between damage done to the Republican Party from Bush vs. Trump.
Even now though, you don't think the Republican Party is doomed, or at least refused to answer that question.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:46 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
One Post wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Even now though, you don't think the Republican Party is doomed, or at least refused to answer that question.

No, I don't think they are "doomed", in trouble is the best way I could put it. The demographics and the actuarial tables are going to flip at some point on the party, and look political parties don't last for 150+ years because they are stupid. The Republicans will have to take positions on issues that are more appealing to demographics that the party currently does not cater to. It's the natural evolution of a political party to evolve in a way to continue to keep their leaders in office and in power.

Why I think they might be in more trouble now, and for longer, is that if you fuck up a policy call (Bush) it's easier to do a mea culpa, but when on a national level you call an entire constituency a glorified pile of shit, voters tend to hold on to that grudge a bit longer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Rolled back the birth control mandate for insurance. Nobody has more respect for women than Trump!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese

Could be huge if true

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:59 pm 

KDdidit wrote:

Could be huge if true

Executive order banning the word Xmas next?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:11 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Named the CEO of AccuWeather the new head of NOAA. Groundbreaking!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Add saving the lives of three very stupid men's basketball players on the UCLA team to the list.

If it weren't for Trump intervening, they would be rotting in a Chinese prison for the next 10 to 20 years. Are they so ignorant, that they don't know what happened to Warmbier in North Korea?

You go to a foreign country to represent your university and team, and you shop lift? These players are the worst excuses for human beings.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:14 am 

Dignified Rube wrote:
Add saving the lives of three very stupid men's basketball players on the UCLA team to the list.

If it weren't for Trump intervening, they would be rotting in a Chinese prison for the next 10 to 20 years. Are they so ignorant, that they don't know what happened to Warmbier in North Korea?

You go to a foreign country to represent your university and team, and you shop lift? These players are the worst excuses for human beings.

Wow, so death was on the table for those kids?

I thought they might be held there for a year or 2 at most.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:15 am 

I think Trump's trip to China was a good one and will have positive effects going forward.

I think he has the right idea on North Korea, just needs to tone down the rhetoric.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:37 am 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
rogers park bryan wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

Wow, so death was on the table for those kids?

I thought they might be held there for a year or 2 at most.

Shoplifting in China as Americans is not as big a deal as it was made out to be from the research I read. It could have been bad, but China usually wants to look good in the world view when it comes to foreign tourists. Remember when they hosted the Olympics? They did everything they could to tone down their atrocities and make themselves look great to the world.

Good on Trump for getting them out, but Dignified Rube's comparison to Otto Warmbier and North Korea is not accurate.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration is lifting a federal ban the importation of body parts from African elephants shot for sport.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issued a written notice on Thursday saying that allowing elephants in Zimbabwe to be killed will enhance the survival of the threatened species by raising money for conservation programs from the wealthy trophy hunters who pay to shoot them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:48 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration is lifting a federal ban the importation of body parts from African elephants shot for sport.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issued a written notice on Thursday saying that allowing elephants in Zimbabwe to be killed will enhance the survival of the threatened species by raising money for conservation programs from the wealthy trophy hunters who pay to shoot them.

Fox News host Laura Ingraham going HARD after him for that.

To her credit going against the grain.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:10 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

As long as it is monitored and done correctly, they aren't wrong in their thinking. Taking out a few old ornery bull elephants that can often times be detrimental to other herds while bringing in millions of dollars in revenue that could go to helping curb the real problems - poaching - is a good thing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:29 pm 

SuperMario wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

As long as it is monitored and done correctly, they aren't wrong in their thinking. Taking out a few old ornery bull elephants that can often times be detrimental to other herds while bringing in millions of dollars in revenue that could go to helping curb the real problems - poaching - is a good thing.

I dont really have a take on this, but I assume MANY think shooting them for sport is wrong in and of itself so they want us to have no part of it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:30 pm 

pizza_Place: ....
Dang! Newsweek giving Trump some credit?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-apos-d ... 02449.html

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:22 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
SuperMario wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

I dont really have a take on this, but I assume MANY think shooting them for sport is wrong in and of itself so they want us to have no part of it.

Yeah, I won't say more here as there could be a separate thread for it, but that is their belief. Emotional over rational. And I actually don't like trophy hunting despite being a big hunter otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
SuperMario wrote:
As long as it is monitored and done correctly

of course. no reason to think otherwise

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:57 pm 

Bagels wrote:
SuperMario wrote:
As long as it is monitored and done correctly

of course. no reason to think otherwise

Agree on that as African governments are some of the most corrupt there are. But elephants are already being massacred without this happening, so what's to lose?

Last edited by SuperMario on Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
By the time his presidency is over, he will have relieved Nixon as our most disgraced president.

Now, THAT is an accomplishment.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way