It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
City of Fools wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
That's silly. He was obviously talking about making down-payments.

buying a new car as a middle to lower class citizen is a fool's errand. It's a suckers bet.

seriously, buying new is almost as bad of a financial decision as leasing. Let some sucker take the depreciation and buy a 2-3 year old used car with ~45,000 miles on it and then drive that car until the wheels fall off.

I could afford new car payments, but I will never buy a new car because I'm losing 50% in those first few years. I'm not sinking large sums of money into a depreciating asset.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
SuperMario wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
the govt doubled your land values with the idiotic ethanol mandate, so it's all even.

Except you don't even know what we grow.

Is it ganja?

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
Chus wrote:
SuperMario wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
the govt doubled your land values with the idiotic ethanol mandate, so it's all even.

Except you don't even know what we grow.

Is it ganja?

Haha. No. Though, we have had it pop up on our farms and ditches from time to time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:18 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

buying a new car as a middle to lower class citizen is a fool's errand. It's a suckers bet.

seriously, buying new is almost as bad of a financial decision as leasing. Let some sucker take the depreciation and buy a 2-3 year old used car with ~45,000 miles on it and then drive that car until the wheels fall off.

I could afford new car payments, but I will never buy a new car because I'm losing 50% in those first few years. I'm not sinking large sums of money into a depreciating asset.
It's not a bad deal if you buy a car at the end of the model year. You get some good money back on owning it two extra years to balance it out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:22 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

I'm wrassling (not very much) with that decision myself. I'm definitely not going brand new but what would be considered too old for a newer car? Or does age not matter as long as the mileage is low? I can't see myself going past 4 years but the car I want at the price I want it is set at 5 years. Can't get it at anything less than 5 but the mileage and price are about right.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

I'm wrassling (not very much) with that decision myself. I'm definitely not going newer but what would be considered too old for a new car? Or does age not matter as long as the mileage is low? I can't see myself going past 4 years but the car I want at the price I want it is set at 5 years. Can't get it at anything less than 5 but the mileage and price are about right.

I thinks a good strategy is to buy a pre-owned car with at least a year left on the bumper-to-bumper warranty (so maybe 3 years old with 30-40k miles if it has a 4-yr, 50k warranty). That way you pay a fraction of the new car price (let's say $30k for a $70k vehicle), but have a year to get any defects fixed at no cost.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:37 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

I'm wrassling (not very much) with that decision myself. I'm definitely not going brand new but what would be considered too old for a newer car? Or does age not matter as long as the mileage is low? I can't see myself going past 4 years but the car I want at the price I want it is set at 5 years. Can't get it at anything less than 5 but the mileage and price are about right.

I bought a three year old car with 19,000 miles.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:38 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:

I thinks a good strategy is to buy a pre-owned car with at least a year left on the bumper-to-bumper warranty (so maybe 3 years old with 30-40k miles if it has a 4-yr, 50k warranty). That way you pay a fraction of the new car price (let's say $30k for a $70k vehicle), but have a year to get any defects fixed at no cost.

Humble brag?

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I guess you have to also think about how you pay. Cash is king obviously and then a two year old car is right. But if you have to finance is it better to buy two years old for 4 years at 8% or new at 5 years 0%? I am too lazy to calculate the total cost as well as value of full warranty.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:40 pm 

The big problem is that everyone figured out the 2 year car trick so it raised those prices too.

Buy a new car at the end of the model year, get the full warranty, know exactly how it was driven for the lifetime of the car, and keep the car the extra two years and you are probably looking at paying a few hundred dollars more a year for it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:52 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
I just bought a 2009 car with a 2 year loan. 3.4% financing.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The big problem is that everyone figured out the 2 year car trick so it raised those prices too.

Buy a new car at the end of the model year, get the full warranty, know exactly how it was driven for the lifetime of the car, and keep the car the extra two years and you are probably looking at paying a few hundred dollars more a year for it.

Yes the supply and demand thing has really kept used car prices up for that 2-3 years range.

-Ronald Reagan

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

I've owned the following cars over the years:

1998 Chrysler
2001 Olds
2001 Buick
2002 Buick
2003 Hyundai

I've never paid more than $2000 for a car. I ran the averages and over my last 20 years (my wife's cars and mine) I've had my cars last an average of 4 years apiece. I've only once had to spend more than 1000 on a repair. I have had several of my cars get hit in auto accidents, each time was a total loss so I could have averaged even longer on how long I owned them. I've never had a car loan, so I've never paid interest.

How long will you own a car before you can average the purchase price out to $500 a year? It's a suckers bet. High mileage in certain cars is no big deal at all. In a lot of Buick Lesabres from a certain time period, the motor will run forever, if the intake manifold gasket is fixed properly. They'll run till the trans finally goes.

Do your research, buy 8-10 year old cars where you know what will go wrong with the car, take the car you're buying to your mechanic to get it checked, and you can pretty much use craigslist to get a car every time. No loan, no payments, driveable cars.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:54 pm 

Sure you are right COF. Something though people just want new stuff.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I like buy new because I like the newest safety and communications stuff. The last two times, I buy SUVs/crossovers in the $30- $35k range, drive them for 8-9 years and 125k, and sell them for $5-6k.

One of my cousins is already lined up to buy my current crossover at the end of 2020. He has the same model in a lesser trim, but puts about 30,000 miles a year on his cars.

For my next car, though, I will be working much less and living elsewhere. Given all the innovation in autonomous and connected vehicles, I will probably buy something coming off of a lease and drive it for three or four years until the market matures.

I am always prepared to pay cash, but for my last three purchases the dealer was willing to finance for less than I could earn from an online bank, so I took the deal and made another $300.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Jaw Breaker wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

I'm wrassling (not very much) with that decision myself. I'm definitely not going newer but what would be considered too old for a new car? Or does age not matter as long as the mileage is low? I can't see myself going past 4 years but the car I want at the price I want it is set at 5 years. Can't get it at anything less than 5 but the mileage and price are about right.

Ya, I did that. My engine blew up. Warranty covered it. Kia ended up doing a recall anyways. Good times

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
One thing I've done with the trucks I've bought is also to browse the inventories of dealers for Makes that are not their brand (something they allowed a trade-in for). The dealer will go WAY down just to get it off their lot. My last truck was two years old when I bought it, and I got it for at least a few grand less than I would have if I'd bought it at a dealership that sold that brand.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:46 pm 

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/11/trump-tax-rates-corporate-offshore-243689

Quote:
President Donald Trump added a new sweetener to his sales pitch for tax reform Wednesday, saying average Americans would benefit greatly if U.S. corporations bring money home from abroad under a special low tax rate.

That move, combined with lower corporate tax rates, would pump an additional $4,000 into the average annual income of American households, he said at a rally in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

Trump called it a "pay raise," and added it "could be a lot more than that too.

“About a $4,000 amount of money for the American family to spend, very exciting," he said.

"And you're gonna spend that money and jobs are going to be produced," he told the crowd.

But full details of the tax reform bill remain a work in progress, a fact that the administration itself acknowledged could lead to a different impact for the average American than the $4,000 Trump cited. That figure came from a new analysis by the Council of Economic Advisers, which is expected to release more information about the analysis on Thursday.

“The number is based on other research that modeled tax variation, and we applied those estimates to the corporate side of the Unified Framework,” DJ Nordquist, chief of staff for the CEA, wrote to POLITICO in an email. “Our research suggests the flow of wages would be $4,000 per year once the full adjustment occurs. But we need to see the final language of the bill for more precise estimates of the timing.”

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
The A2 article in today's WSJ talks about the impact on the middle class. A 2007 study by Harvard and U. of Michigan economists said that between 45-75% of a corporate tax cuts benefits go to workers.

I would have figured more would flow to investors. If true about the benefit to workers, that is a very good sign. In any case, the article talks about the value to long term growth, which will ultimately help everyone.

Who the hell knows though. It looks like the swamp is going to sink this thing as lobbyists gear up to save those precious goodies like the state level deductions. Hard to believe that a deduction that favors the upper middle class is getting so much protection. The higher standard deduction is going to protect most workers in states like CA and NY......the chart in the article even shows that workers in the 80-99% income percentiles are expected to pay more under the outline of the plan, while the top 1% (99%+) and bottom 80% pay less.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:13 pm 

denisdman wrote:
The A2 article in today's WSJ talks about the impact on the middle class. A 2007 study by Harvard and U. of Michigan economists said that between 45-75% of a corporate tax cuts benefits go to workers.

I would have figured more would flow to investors. If true about the benefit to workers, that is a very good sign. In any case, the article talks about the value to long term growth, which will ultimately help everyone.

That number is surprising. I would've figured investors would be the main beneficiary through dividends or share re-purchases.

If the repatriation break is implemented that's a ton of extra capital that's flooding back into the US. With money already ridiculously cheap it's going to be interesting to see how/where firms employ the repatriated money.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:14 pm 

Congratulations middle class, Trump has saved you!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:23 pm 

Chus wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

I bought a three year old car with 19,000 miles.

Just got a 2 yr old car with 15k miles. Inspected the hell out of it for 20 minutes, test drove it and drove out 45 minutes later

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:44 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...

Last edited by Peoria Matt on Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:44 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
denisdman wrote:

That number is surprising. I would've figured investors would be the main beneficiary through dividends or share re-purchases.

If the repatriation break is implemented that's a ton of extra capital that's flooding back into the US. With money already ridiculously cheap it's going to be interesting to see how/where firms employ the repatriated money.

I think repatriation will mainly go for buybacks, dividends, and acquisitions. Where I am hopeful about a lower tax rate is that it will help more investments meet the hurdle return IRR (assumed at 10-12% for most companies) and thus more investment in new projects. Whatever a project's pretax cash flow, the income tax rate is a big factor because it cuts the cash flow by 1/3 to 2/5 due to the high corporate tax rate. I am also hopeful that domestic production becomes more viable.

More capital should flow into the U.S. and produce growth and productivity, which allows wages to rise without triggering inflation.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:48 pm 

I have only purchased new since I was 19. I had five different cars by then and each was worse than the last. I just want my car to start when I turn the ignition in the morning, and if/when it doesn't, there is a full warranty behind it. The final insult was when the guy at the Brandy's repair shop came back with the estimate to fix my fuel pump and started by saying, "you're screwed".

The economics of buying new are terrible as noted by many astute posters above. For me, I was just sick of getting someone else's problem, and with so many cars coming off leases now, I would be scared to buy a two year old car.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:13 am 

Quote:
But it's the unresolved issues that caused Ways and Means members the most heartburn this week — and ultimately led to the delay. Those include: how to win over GOP lawmakers from high-tax states that are balking over curbing the state and local tax deduction, which their constituents rely on. There are also question about how to ensure that wealthy individuals don’t take advantage of the lower 25 percent small business or “pass-through” rate.

Many of the unresolved items are hot-button issues, including what to do with 401(k) retirement plans.

Trump asked Brady in a phone conversation last week to drop his plans to curb such tax preferred savings. And some senior House Republicans who believe that doing so would incite severe pushback have been urging Brady to leave the matter alone.

But Brady has refused to ditch the idea of imposing some limitation on the popular retirement plans. The reason comes down to basic math: Republicans want to lower the corporate tax rate to 20 percent, and collapse and lower individual rates into four brackets — and targeting 401(k) plans could help pay for those cuts.

Yeesh, there will be need to be a lot of misinformation and twisting to sell this plan. Pay for the repeal the estate tax and ~40% cut in the corporate rate by removing SaLT and 401(k) tax benefits?

Sounds like a winner of a plan to me!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:36 am 

If those cocksuckers touch 401k's, then I hope more James Hodgkinson types come out of the woodwork.

I'm fine with doing away with SaLT though as that is just a tool for the rest of us to subsidize those who live in cities with bloated local governments. Perhaps the better solution is for local governments (looking at you Illinois) to lower taxes. If they don't do that, then join the tens of thousands of others who vote with their feet and leave each year.

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
The 401k thing is baffling. You would think that would piss off a lot of the middle class. And the fact that they're doing it to offset a reduction of the estate tax? Come on.

Trump is actually the one sane Republican here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:43 am 

I try not to get to worked up until something actually passes, and Tump hasn’t been able to get much done with this Congress. I do have a strange feeling that the rich will benefit, the lower middle class will benefit, and those of us “getting by” but with above average incomes will get screwed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:33 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
The 401k thing is baffling. You would think that would piss off a lot of the middle class. And the fact that they're doing it to offset a reduction of the estate tax? Come on.

Trump is actually the one sane Republican here.

Bizarre indeed. It's an idea I would expect from the Democrats because 401ks hurt the poor.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 32  Next