It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:03 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
For a $50k earner like city, he basically has the following rough math:

$50k wage income
minus
$24.4k standard deduct (joint return)
equals
$25.6k agi
times
12% tax rate
equals
$3.1k tax

Minus $1.6k tax credit for each child. No tax if he has two kids. There is also a $300k credit for each non-child family member, which I assume includes the joint tax payers.

If he has no kids, his effective tax rate is 3.1/50 or 6.2%. Lower if he gets the joint tax credit of $600. Not sure on that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
rogers park bryan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
the democrats are abandoning me...

Schumer complained yesterday that a married couple making 100k would get taxed $5000 more. Dude, I'm a married couple, and we're grossing under 50k. This does not affect me. If I made 100k between my wife and I, I'd be crazy rich. Focus on the true low/middle class.

I understand you're point of view, but 100K for a married couple with kids is not rich or anything close to it.

I've got 3 kids. I could afford a 250-300k house if I was making that much. People have forgotten how to budget and live within their means.

Buying a house that expensive in that situation would not be living within means.

You're saying 100K total income for a family of 5 and you're living in a 300K house?

I didn't say I would do it or that someone who did would have a lot of extra money. But yes, you could. I afforded a 200k home on our salaries until we sold it. We shopped at Aldi, never ate out, rarely had a date night etc etc etc.

There are a lot of factors and unknowns in this hypothetical.

Everyone's idea of "afford" or "living within means" is different.

We shop at Aldi for like 75% of stuff.

but that's the problem...

a friend of mine makes slightly more money than I do. Dude bought a new car, is making payments, bought a 55" TV, is making payments, has student loans because he didn't want to work while he was going through school...he's in way worse shape than me. I worked 60 plus hours of work through school, took me double the years because of that, but I came out debt free. It burns me to see people wanting student loans forgiven because of that.

Things happen, medical expenses can wreck your life. But there's a lot of people who only have themselves to blame. We sold our house, it was terribly inconvenient, heartbreaking, depressing, but we had reached a point where our house owned us.

Last edited by City of Fools on Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
denisdman wrote:

$50k wage income
minus
equals
$25.6k agi
times
12% tax rate
equals
$3.1k tax

Minus $1.6k tax credit for each child. No tax if he has two kids. There is also a $300k credit for each non-child family member, which I assume includes the joint tax payers.

If he has no kids, his effective tax rate is 3.1/50 or 6.2%. Lower if he gets the joint tax credit of $600. Not sure on that.

Damn, that's a big credit!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:07 am 

denisdman wrote:

$50k wage income
minus
equals
$25.6k agi
times
12% tax rate
equals
$3.1k tax

I've got 3 kids. This is quite...seemingly good. I'm a democrat, and I support this.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:09 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I’m tired of hearing how poor CoF is.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:09 am 

City of Fools wrote:
but that's the problem...a friend of mine makes slightly more money than I do. Dude bought a new car, is making payments, bought a 55" TV, is making payments, has student loans because he didn't want to work while he was going through school...he's in way worse shape than me. I worked 60 plus hours of work through school, took me double the years because of that, but I came out debt free. It burns me to see people wanting student loans forgiven because of that.

Things happen, medical expenses can wreck your life. But there's a lot of people who only have themselves to blame. We sold our house, it was terribly inconvenient, heartbreaking, depressing, but we had reached a point where our house owned us.

Yea, that exists but I mean there are people living within means and inside that group there are differences on what matters most.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:10 am 

leashyourkids wrote:

I'm not poor anymore, suckers!

I'm not rich, but we have enough to live on. We have a good life. Enough with the small violin.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:11 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
City of Fools wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I'm not poor anymore, suckers!

I'm not rich, but we have enough to live on. We have a good life. Enough with the small violin.

Thanks, Trump!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:11 am 

Well I hope stuff like this dispels the fallacy that Repubs are out to shaft the bottom tax payers. Every study shows that the vast majority of taxes are paid by the top 20% of earners, and as a society, I think we all agree that is proper. Of course, the lower earners are stung by payroll taxes, which is the natural counter. That is a highly regressive less than flat tax system. But the way Social Security pays out, low wage earners get more percentage wise for what they pay in than high earners.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:12 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
I'm looking to buy a house next year and this plan really doesn't impact that in a negative way. My mortgage will be $200-210k and there is no way my property taxes where I live will even approach $10k per year. I'll still get all of the deductions out of it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:15 am 

denisdman wrote:
Well I hope stuff like this dispels the fallacy that Repubs are out to shaft the bottom tax payers.

I hear more "Repubs only care about the rich" than them being specifically out to fuck poor people. The fucking is just a consequence of aiding the top.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:17 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
denisdman wrote:
Well I hope stuff like this dispels the fallacy that Repubs are out to shaft the bottom tax payers. Every study shows that the vast majority of taxes are paid by the top 20% of earners, and as a society, I think we all agree that is proper. Of course, the lower earners are stung by payroll taxes, which is the natural counter. That is a highly regressive less than flat tax system. But the way Social Security pays out, low wage earners get more percentage wise for what they pay in than high earners.

Hope all you want. Schumer was already on my TV this morning blasting away.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:17 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Well I hope stuff like this dispels the fallacy that Repubs are out to shaft the bottom tax payers.

I hear more "Repubs only care about the rich" than them being specifically out to fuck poor people. The fucking is just a consequence of aiding the top.

Hah, well we'll get you a hearing aid....

:)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:18 am 

pittmike wrote:
denisdman wrote:

a WSJ poll showed 33% are in favor and 50% opposed. I guarantee you few of the respondents can tell you what the new brackets are or what the new standard deduction will be. I guess it just shows that most people will think whatever the god damn fucking media tells them to think. Is there anyone left who has critical thinking skills?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
rogers park bryan wrote:
denisdman wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:19 am 

denisdman wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Really. All I hear on the tax question is either the 1% need to pay more or the right are putting the poor into the soup line.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:21 am 

pittmike wrote:
denisdman wrote:

It's his job to do that. And this plan on the surface does appear to hurt high tax states wage earners. But as an AMT guy myself, I know the truth about the real world impact. The higher your local taxes, the more likely you are caught up in the AMT. It is just a function of a system where there are two tax codes, and you pay the higher of the tax bill from those two codes.

Under the regular system, deductions reduce your tax bill, which in turn makes it more likely you will have a higher bill under the AMT. I've been under the AMT for five years, so I can't deduct the IL income tax increase or high property taxes. I suspect most of the people he is fighting for are in the same situation. It's much worse in NY and CA because they have higher income taxes and more valuable property (i.e. high property tax bills).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:28 am 

denisdman wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Honestly, very few people ever really say they are out to fuck the poor independently. It's that serving the rich instead is by default fucking the poor.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:29 am 

pittmike wrote:
denisdman wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Really. All I hear on the tax question is either the 1% need to pay more or the right are putting the poor into the soup line.

That backs up what I said, mike. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:30 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
leashyourkids wrote:

Me too; I consider it gimmick infringement.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
The top 1% DO need to pay more. Fuck 'em. Why are we pandering to those assholes?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:41 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Hatchetman wrote:
The top 1% DO need to pay more. Fuck 'em. Why are we pandering to those assholes?

Well, see, if they get to keep more of their money, they will in turn give more of it to the ham-and-eggers. Pretty simple, really.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
denisdman wrote:

Let's be real. They don't give a shit. Here's $500 bucks so my buddy can keep $500K.

SOunds like a great deal to me.

Last edited by Kirkwood on Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:53 am 

Hatchetman wrote:

Work with me and help me out here. You and many of the guys on the board seem like fair guys that would ask for a fair shake as well as give someone else a fair shake. Somehow your post here though seems to point to an ingrained line of thinking that some that have a lot more should pay a lot more. I myself even though it would be worse for me favor a completely flat tax. At least in that the rich are really still paying more than the poor but simply only at the same percentage. In fact, most of those models have people not paying anything up to some level of income.

So if a guy making 10,000,000 per year pays 12% for 1,200,000 and the guy making 100,000 for 12,000 and the guy making 40,000 pays zero why is it so important to get more from the rich?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:53 am 

Hatchetman wrote:

No one is. The top rate is 39.6%. Is that not enough for you?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
pittmike wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Work with me and help me out here. You and many of the guys on the board seem like fair guys that would ask for a fair shake as well as give someone else a fair shake. Somehow your post here though seems to point to an ingrained line of thinking that some that have a lot more should pay a lot more. I myself even though it would be worse for me favor a completely flat tax. At least in that the rich are really still paying more than the poor but simply only at the same percentage. In fact, most of those models have people not paying anything up to some level of income.

So if a guy making 10,000,000 per year pays 12% for 1,200,000 and the guy making 100,000 for 12,000 and the guy making 40,000 pays zero why is it so important to get more from the rich?

True. Because one day you'll be that guy making $10M and who wants to get stung by a high tax rate?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
denisdman wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

No that's not enough. 49.9% on anything over a $1MM would be a good start.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:56 am 

denisdman wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

and this plan does not lower or eliminate that top bracket.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:57 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

True. Because one day you'll be that guy making $10M and who wants to get stung by a high tax rate?

Well if I hit the lotto maybe? Really though I simply and truly think the fair thing to do is have the same percentage after you are above some poverty or basic line.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:59 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Let's be real. They don't give a shit. Here's $500 bucks so my buddy can keep $500K.

SOunds like a great deal to me.

Well, the code is already so damn progressive that you can't change without giving breaks to the people who already pay the vast majority of income taxes. And anytime you or your buddies want to propose something to make Medicare and Social Security sustainable, I am all ears. The only folks whoever talked about the solvency of those plans is Republicans like Paul and Christie.

And by the way, the funding for SS and Medi are completely separate from regular government funding. This tax cut does nothing to impact those plans. They are exclusively funded by payroll taxes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 32  Next