It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
rogers park bryan wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
My take is when you have billionaires and homeless people living in the same city, something seems off about that.

Do you think the only difference between them is money?

Of course not. Not sure what you're getting at though.

I kind of look at it from a very basic standpoint. If you were in one of these post apocolyptic groups trying to survive with like 10 people, would you be comfortable having 90% of the food, while 2-3 members starve to death.

Call me a bleeding heart, liberal, whatever. I think as humans we should take care of each other to some extent.

That's true. They should.

Do you think the government does that by taxing people more? or less? or at all?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:37 am 

pittmike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
My take is when you have billionaires and homeless people living in the same city, something seems off about that.

I get that. But economic and taxation realities are more what I am after. Without a logical real explanation besides it feels or looks wrong all you have is "I want the rich guys money for poor people".

Some would say that not every starts from the same point or has the same opportunities.

Others might point out that there are dangers (higher crime rate) associated with letting so many people live in poverty.

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
What is illogical about providing basic human needs to impoverished people? You find that "illogical?" The only way to generate that much money is to tax the people that actually have money.

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Hatchetman wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Dennis just made a good point about income inequality.

No he did not make a good point about income inequality. He made a misleading if not completely false point about income inequality.

I said income inequality is growing and is a major problem. Surprised you think that is misleading.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:38 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I kind of look at it from a very basic standpoint. If you were in one of these post apocolyptic groups trying to survive with like 10 people, would you be comfortable having 90% of the food, while 2-3 members starve to death.

Call me a bleeding heart, liberal, whatever. I think as humans we should take care of each other to some extent.

Do you think the government does that by taxing people more? or less? or at all?

I am not well versed enough on taxation to say what is best.

I can generally say that if the tax is designed so that the rich get richer and the poor stagnate, that's bad.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:40 am 

denisdman wrote:
Marginal rates have come down since the Kennedy administration .

Thanks for confirming.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:45 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I can generally say that if the tax is designed so that the rich get richer and the poor stagnate, that's bad.

Taxes are not intended to regulate income. They are intended to pay for the government.

There is no tax system in the world that can stop rich from getting richer and the poor from stagnating.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:47 am 

Come on Hatchet, you're smarter than that. I could also blame global warming on income inequality and plot rising wealth by the top 1% to rising global temperatures since the 70's.

The rise in inequality shown on that graph is directly related to the fall of the U.S. manufacturing sector and the rise of the professional and technology sectors whereby lower skilled workers have no where to earn a decent wage and the educated classes have significant opportunities.

Now if you want to tax the top 1% at 99%, you'll get your income equality. We'll all be broke.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:48 am 

denisdman wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
denisdman wrote:
We have this highly progressive income tax system where any way you cut it, the top slice is paying the majority of taxes. And yet we have ever growing income inequality. So clearly the tax system can't neutralize the reasons for growing income inequality.

Hatchetman wrote:
Income inequality has increased over the past 50 years as income taxes have become less and less progressive. But hey, that must just be a coincidence.

Seems to be some disagreement here.

Marginal rates have come down since the Kennedy administration. If you want to call that less progressive, then fine. Here's the data from the IRS (2015 is latest):

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/15inintaxreturns.pdf

And to summarize in 2015-
150,493,000 returns filed
$1,457,891,000 tax collected from individual returns
6,752,00 returns with $200k and above in AGI or 4.5% of all returns
Those taxpayers paid $787,651,000 in tax or 54% of all income tax.
Add in $100k and above and you get
25,285 in returns or 16.8% of taxpayers
Those tax payers paid $1,104,011,000 in tax or 75.7% of all income tax.

The top 17% are paying 76% of all tax.

This data does not include folks with income too low to file a return, which would make the disparity much worse. People making $50k and under pay 5.4% of all income taxes, and they represent 61.4% of all filers.

Forgive my ignorance on this stuff.

But as income inequality rises, doesn't it stand to reason the top would pay more?

I mean even with a flat tax, that would happen right?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:50 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Taxes are not intended to regulate income. They are intended to pay for the government.

There is no tax system in the world that can stop rich from getting richer and the poor from stagnating.

But I think there are some that can speed up the rich getting richer and poor getting poorer.

I would be against those.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:51 am 

I think we can solve homelessness by teaching them how to code.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:53 am 

denisdman wrote:
Come on Hatchet, you're smarter than that. I could also blame global warming on income inequality and plot rising wealth by the top 1% to rising global temperatures since the 70's.

The rise in inequality shown on that graph is directly related to the fall of the U.S. manufacturing sector and the rise of the professional and technology sectors whereby lower skilled workers have no where to earn a decent wage and the educated classes have significant opportunities.

Now if you want to tax the top 1% at 99%, you'll get your income equality. We'll all be broke.

Someone said this at some point, probably the min wage discussions, but for this country to flourish there has to be decent jobs for the basic high school graduate.

Maybe that's impossible at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:54 am 

RPB, you are exactly right. I am talking solely about the structure of the way our Federal Tax laws function. There are a lot of deductions and credits to shield lower income workers from taxation. And even when they earn above those thresholds, the rates are low. That's the progressive system I am talking about.

Keep in mind the real rich guys- Buffet, Gates, Bezos are paying next to nothing in income taxes. Their entire wealth is through unrealized capital gains on Berkshire, MSFT, and Amazon stock. Their wealth will never be taxed because they will give it away to charity and their foundations. That's kind of strange, I think.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:55 am 

There are many reasons for rising income inequality. However, there is no way can you dismiss the continued lowering of marginal tax rates at the exact same time as the rising income inequality.

Moreover, as you see, the current tax system you criticize as overly progressive does not seem to be inhibiting the top 1%'s ability to make more money.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:56 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Someone said this at some point, probably the min wage discussions, but for this country to flourish there has to be decent jobs for the basic high school graduate.

That's also the great irony of the "Free college for all" plan. It makes college the same way and guess who can most afford to start working after getting(and paying) for a Masters or Doctorate? It's the kids with parents who are well off enough that they can support a kid until they are 24-28.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:56 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I talk about it all the time. We first have to make a high school diploma mean something, meaning the standards are high enough that graduates can read, write, and do math at a sufficient level to be attractive to employers. Next, you have to have alternative career tracks for folks that aren't fit for university study.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:58 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
There are many reasons for rising income inequality. However, there is no way can you dismiss the continued lowering of marginal tax rates at the exact same time as the rising income inequality.

Moreover, as you see, the current tax system you criticize as overly progressive does not seem to be inhibiting the top 1%'s ability to make more money.

I largely agree with your statements with these clarifications:

1) Yes, many reasons for rising inequality,
2) I think it's coincidental, but of course I would entertain empirical research that shows I am wrong.
3) I am not sure it is overly progressive as much as it is more progressive in years past. And as RPB notes, part of that is self fulfilling with income inequality.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:01 pm 

denisdman wrote:
[
3) I am not sure it is overly progressive as much as it is more progressive in years past. .

I don't understand what you are saying. You just agreed that marginal tax rates have been dropping for 50+ years.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:01 pm 

denisdman wrote:
I talk about it all the time. We first have to make a high school diploma mean something, meaning the standards are high enough that graduates can read, write, and do math at a sufficient level to be attractive to employers. Next, you have to have alternative career tracks for folks that aren't fit for university study.
I'm not sure you could make a high school diploma mean something. At your company, if the valedictorian of your local high school came in and asked for a job is there a chance they would get anything besides generic office work or an "internship"? That person would be the best example of a high achieving high school student and their options are still incredibly limited.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:07 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
denisdman wrote:
[
3) I am not sure it is overly progressive as much as it is more progressive in years past. .

I don't understand what you are saying. You just agreed that marginal tax rates have been dropping for 50+ years.

Progressiveness is generally the amount paid by each slice of the income of the distribution relative to the total collected. In the past, the lower tiers were paying a larger percentage of the total. That's all I am saying.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:09 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:
I'm not sure you could make a high school diploma mean something. At your company, if the valedictorian of your local high school came in and asked for a job is there a chance they would get anything besides generic office work or an "internship"? That person would be the best example of a high achieving high school student and their options are still incredibly limited.

College diplomas don't mean anything for the most part, either. It's nice that society mandates 22-year olds start off their independent lives under piles of debt, though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:11 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Somewhat true for professional career tracks. But we have plenty of office technical jobs that do not require a degree. Those folks still need to be able to communicate effectively, read at a certain level, and have critical thinking skills. Most areas of insurance are full of non-degree folks that have great careers, especially on the personal lines and brokerage side. We just happen to have highly specialized underwriters in my division because we are a financial line. We are probably the exception.

And if someone could teach time management, that is probably the hardest skill to train for......

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:12 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:

College diplomas don't mean anything for the most part, either. It's nice that society mandates 22-year olds start off their independent lives under piles of debt, though.
College diplomas do mean something. I know many people who got a good job with no school beyond college. The ones who did end up getting good jobs after high school basically had to work hard for the same time period or longer to get there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:13 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:

College diplomas do mean something. I know many people who got a good job with no school beyond college. The ones who did end up getting good jobs after high school basically had to work hard for the same time period or longer to get there.

I'd echo BR's comments here. There are two issues though:

1) Certain degrees don't have a lot of real world work place value, if you're trying to make a living.
2) Yeap, college costs are off the charts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:16 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I'd echo BR's comments here. There are two issues though:

1) Certain degrees don't have a lot of real world work place value, if you're trying to make a living.
2) Yeap, college costs are off the charts.

There is a third issue, most degrees only get you entry level jobs which could be done by anyone.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:20 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
There is a third issue, most degrees only get you entry level jobs which could be done by anyone.

I don't know how one could expect a college grad to handle anything but an entry level job. You literally have no significant experience going into a workplace that has folks equally qualified but with experience in their jobs.

Jobs that require technical knowledge cannot be done by anyone. I guess you could learn that stuff without going to college, if you were self taught. But sure there are plenty of jobs where the employer hires college grads when they could hire anybody.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:29 pm 

denisdman wrote:
[
Progressiveness is generally... .

Well the concept of "progressiveness" can be measured in myriad ways using various indexes, formulas, etc. Average Joes usually use marginal federal income taxes in conversation, but if you want to get more technical have at it.

I looked for a time series of one of these indexes (Suits Index?) over time but could not find. I want one that includes ALL taxes, not just income taxes. Obviously property taxes are like a flat tax. Sales taxes are generally considered regressive.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:34 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
denisdman wrote:
[
Progressiveness is generally... .

Well the concept of "progressiveness" can be measured in myriad ways using various indexes, formulas, etc. Average Joes usually use marginal federal income taxes in conversation, but if you want to get more technical have at it.

I looked for a time series of one of these indexes (Suits Index?) over time but could not find. I want one that includes ALL taxes, not just income taxes. Obviously property taxes are like a flat tax. Sales taxes are generally considered regressive.

Nah we're good. You're right, many ways to define it.

I found it interesting that in 1952, the bottom tax rate was 22.2%, and the top rate was 92%. The top rate didn't apply until one made $3.6M in today's dollars ($400k back then).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:06 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
That's not exactly true, and it isn't just the STEM degrees that matter. Colleges do a very poor job of limiting the majors that don't have realistic job openings. We can also blame the students for choosing those majors but it still doesn't make sense to keep on having so many spots when you know so many of your graduates are already struggling. This is actually another thing that "free college for all" would cause to expand.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:09 pm 

Every college degree earned, lessens the value of a college degree, right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 32  Next