It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:13 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Bidets

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Regular Reader wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Chus wrote:
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/01/23/580029629/kimberly-clark-announces-layoffs-along-with-3-3-billion-in-operating-profit

Kimberly-Clark Announces Layoffs, Along With $3.3 Billion In Operating Profit

Aren't declining birth rates undercutting their margin?

I'm fairly certain that Depends, toilet tissue/wipes and Kleenex in a time where allergies are increasingly common more than offset that.

True. People there will always be people with the cold or flu unfortunately.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
My wife (who works for a large insurance company) was just informed of company wide raises (not bonuses) and an increase in 401k matches. Not to mention the larger take home she receives now due to the lower taxes. Since I'm self employed I have calculated my own estimated payments due in April with my accountant and they have dropped a notable amount.

Anyone else here seen benefits at home?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
My wife (who works for a large insurance company) was just informed of company wide raises (not bonuses) and an increase in 401k matches. Not to mention the larger take home she receives now due to the lower taxes. Since I'm self employed I have calculated my own estimated payments due in April with my accountant and they have dropped a notable amount.

My wife is putting out more and my kids are less whiny.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Thanks Trump.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:08 pm 
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Thanks Trump.

Make BC's Sex Life Great Again

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:10 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
The Thanks Trump thread is being ignored. Sad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
pittmike wrote:
The Thanks Trump thread is being ignored. Sad.

Cry less.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:04 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
My wife's company just announced a nice increase for everyone in terms of regular wage and bonus.

My employer chopped our bonus payout rate and basically said it would have been worse but you were saved some by the tax cut. :roll:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:59 pm 

wdelaney72 wrote:
My wife's company just announced a nice increase for everyone in terms of regular wage and bonus.

My employer chopped our bonus payout rate and basically said it would have been worse but you were saved some by the tax cut. :roll:

Damn, a family getting hit with "The check' s in the mail AND I won't cum in your mouth" at the same time.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Regular Reader wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:

Damn, a family getting hit with "The check' s in the mail AND I won't cum in your mouth" at the same time.

Good luck.

That comment just made my week... :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2018/02/03/the-u-s-government-is-set-to-borrow-nearly-1-trillion-this-year/?utm_term=.b71f3cdeee79

The U.S. government is set to borrow nearly $1 trillion this year, an 84 percent jump from last year

It was another crazy news week, so it's understandable if you missed a small but important announcement from the Treasury Department: The federal government is on track to borrow nearly $1 trillion this fiscal year — Trump's first full year in charge of the budget.

That's almost double what the government borrowed in fiscal 2017.

Here are the exact figures: The U.S. Treasury expects to borrow $955 billion this fiscal year, according to documents released Wednesday. It's the highest amount of borrowing in six years, and a big jump from the $519 billion the federal government borrowed last year.

Treasury mainly attributed the increase to the “fiscal outlook.” The Congressional Budget Office was more blunt. In a report this week, the CBO said tax receipts are going to be lower because of the new tax law.

The uptick in borrowing is yet another complication in the heated debates in Congress over whether to spend more money on infrastructure, the military, disaster relief and other domestic programs. The deficit is already up significantly, even before Congress allots more money to any of these areas.

“We're addicted to debt,” says Marc Goldwein, senior policy director at Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget. He blames both parties for the situation.

What's particularly jarring is this is the first time borrowing has jumped this much (as a share of GDP) in a non-recession time since Ronald Reagan was president, says Ernie Tedeschi, a former senior adviser to the U.S. Treasury who is now head of fiscal analysis at Evercore ISI. Under Reagan, borrowing spiked because of a buildup in the military, something Trump is advocating again.

Trump didn't mention the debt — or the ongoing budget deficits — in his State of the Union address. The absence of any mention of the national debt was frustrating for Goldwein and others who warn that America has a major economic problem looming.

“It is terrible. Those deficits and the debt that keeps rising is a serious problem, not only in the long run, but right now,” Harvard economist Martin Feldstein, a former Reagan adviser, told Bloomberg News.

The White House got a taste this week of just how problematic this debt situation could get. Investors are concerned about all the additional borrowing and the likelihood of higher inflation, which is why the interest rates on U.S. government bonds hit the highest level since 2014. That, in turn, partly drove the worst weekly sell-off in the stock market in two years.

The belief in Washington and on Wall Street has long been that the U.S. government could just keep issuing debt because people around the world are eager to buy up this safe-haven asset. But there may be a limit to how much the market wants, especially if inflation starts rising and investors prefer to ditch bonds for higher-returning stocks.

“Some of my Wall Street clients are starting to talk recession in 2019 because of these issues. Fiscal policy is just out of control,” says Peter Davis, a former tax economist in Congress who now runs Davis Capital Investment Ideas.

The Federal Reserve was also buying a lot of U.S. Treasury debt since the crisis, helping to beef up demand. But the Fed recently decided to stop doing that now that the economy has improved. It's another wrinkle as Treasury has to look for new buyers.

Tedeschi, the former Treasury adviser to the Obama administration, calls it “concerning, but not a crisis.” Still, he says it's a “big risk” to plan on borrowing so much in the coming years.

Trump's Treasury forecasts borrowing more than $1 trillion in 2019 and more than $1.1 trillion in 2020. Before taking office, Trump described himself as the “king of debt,” although he campaigned on reducing the national debt.

The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget predicts the U.S. deficit will hit $1 trillion by 2019 and stay there for a while. The latest borrowing figure — $955 billion — released this week was determined from a survey of bond market participants, who tend to be even faster to react to the changing policy landscape and change their forecasts.

Both parties claim they want to be “fiscally responsible,” but Goldwein says they both pass legislation that adds to the debt. Politicians argue this is the last time they'll pass a bill that makes the deficit worse, but so far, they just keep going.

The latest example of largesse is the GOP tax bill. It's expected to add $1 trillion or more to the debt, according to nonpartisan analysis from the Joint Committee on Taxation (and yes, that's after accounting for some increased economic growth).

But even before that, Goldwein points to the 2015 extension of many tax cuts and the 2014 delays in Medicare reimbursement cuts.

“Every time you feed your addiction, you grow your addiction,” says Goldwein.

There doesn't seem to be any appetite for budgetary restraint in Washington, but the market may force Congress's hand.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
I love the tax cuts, but yes you have to cut spending when you lower taxes. Unfortunately Trump (and the GOP Congress) love spending when they themselves are in power. It would be nice if they put their "small government" rhetoric to actual use when in office.

Most Republicans probably don't even know that some of the largest expansions of the Federal government came under Reagan and Bush 43.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:28 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
I love the tax cuts, but yes you have to cut spending when you lower taxes. Unfortunately Trump (and the GOP Congress) love spending when they themselves are in power. It would be nice if they put their "small government" rhetoric to actual use when in office.

Most Republicans probably don't even know that some of the largest expansions of the Federal government came under Reagan and Bush 43.

They're not going to cut spending. They will simply do as most have done. Find a big spending program sponsored by Democrats and propagate on how it caused the Deficit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:33 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

And conservative icon Richard M. Nixon.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:37 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:24 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Allegedly fiscal Reagan Republicans hated Nixon for his spending practices.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Everything working just as planned... record stock repurchases and the ink isn't even dry. I did hear that someone's cousin got a 75 cent raise though, so that's cool.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-02- ... k-buybacks

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:44 pm 

Grifters gonna grift, and lemmings are gonna stupidly applaud

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:26 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Except only 38% of working Americans work for those kinds of companies, the rest work for privately owned firms that have no publicly traded stock to buy back. So yea, that money typically get reinvested which buoys wages by elevating the economy as a whole. I mean that cliff the market fell off a couple weeks ago was literally because American wages were getting too high too quickly, which is kind of a preposterous notion but that's what happens.

You're trying to tell me the sky is green. Give me a fucking break.

And I am definitely rooting for these tax cuts to fail miserably and put the USA in an inexorable tailspin that it cannot climb out of. That way Regular genius and his band of crazies wont have much of a country to inherit when the Trump administration is gone.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:39 am 

America wrote:
Except only 38% of working Americans work for those kinds of companies, the rest work for privately owned firms that have no publicly traded stock to buy back. So yea, that money typically get reinvested which buoys wages by elevating the economy as a whole. I mean that cliff the market fell off a couple weeks ago was literally because American wages were getting too high too quickly, which is kind of a preposterous notion but that's what happens.

You're trying to tell me the sky is green. Give me a fucking break.

And I am definitely rooting for these tax cuts to fail miserably and put the USA in an inexorable tailspin that it cannot climb out of. That way Regular genius and his band of crazies wont have much of a country to inherit when the Trump administration is gone.

Honestly, why do you bother? Other than to provide the rest of us with occasional amusement.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32