It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Douchebag wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:
C'mon don't even pretend the right had input or cooperating spirit in Obamacare.

Subsidized but mandatory insurance purchases was a Heritage Foundation idea

I never understood republicans objecting to the mandate on mandatory insurance. Seems like a great way to make people personally responsible, which is what the right loves to preach.

Conservatives: These free loaders need to stop using the emergency room as their health care provider! They should have insurance!

Democrats: Everyone will now be required to purchase insurance

Conservatives: Stop telling me what to do!! OBAMA!!! AGGHHHHH!!

Yeah that was the only reason they were against the ACA.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:54 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
pittmike wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:
C'mon don't even pretend the right had input or cooperating spirit in Obamacare.

I never understood republicans objecting to the mandate on mandatory insurance. Seems like a great way to make people personally responsible, which is what the right loves to preach.

Conservatives: These free loaders need to stop using the emergency room as their health care provider! They should have insurance!

You're right. They also hate minorities and poor people.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:54 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Remember when the Republicans were all screaming about the ACA and how bad it was, and the response was "Well, what was your proposal for healthcare reform"?".

Not seeing a Democratic tax reform proposal here....

The process employed by Republicans did not allow for Democratic input. It was much worse than Obamacare.

Well, I'll always agree that both sides should work together more, and the Republicans certainly didn't here.

The point though is that for years it was that the Republicans had no alternate plan to Obamacare, from when it was proposed to when it passed to when they were campaigning on repealing it. Where is the Democrats tax reform proposal to compare against this one?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:55 am 

pittmike wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:

They literally appealed the insurance mandate to the Supreme Court. I'm pretty sure they were very against it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:55 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:

You're right. They also hate minorities and poor people.

Yup.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:58 am 

pittmike wrote:
The ACA was a Trojan horse to try and get single payer healthcare. Obama literally told you that before he pretended like he never said it because he actually was probably becoming President.

You could see it even when they tried to repeal it. The Democrats screamed "PEOPLE WILL LOSE HEALTH INSURANCE!" and while they were right, it proves that they've put millions of more people on government subsidized/provided healthcare and there is nothing that can be done to reverse it.

That is why the Republicans fought so hard against the ACA, even if it was a step forward in the right direction. It's about the long term fight against a complete government takeover of healthcare.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:59 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
The ACA was a Trojan horse to try and get single payer healthcare. Obama literally told you that before he pretended like he never said it because he actually was probably becoming President.

You could see it even when they tried to repeal it. The Democrats screamed "PEOPLE WILL LOSE HEALTH INSURANCE!" and while they were right, it proves that they've put millions of more people on government subsidized/provided healthcare and there is nothing that can be done to reverse it.

That is why the Republicans fought so hard against the ACA, even if it was a step forward in the right direction. It's about the long term fight against a complete government takeover of healthcare.

<Golf Clap> You are on a roll today.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:00 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Seems like it's a good deal for nearly everyone this year and gets incrementally worse for individuals for the next 8 years, and a good deal for corporations and the uber-wealthy for a lot longer.

America wins again!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Why is it accepted that “trickle down” doesn’t work?

I had a neighbor that got a huge promotion last year. He subsequently bought an $800k house in a wealthy suburb, which he tore down. He’s now building a new, $1M+ house on the same lot. He’s literally creating jobs that would not have happened if he didn’t buy this house and tear it down. General Contractor, Architect, demolition, concrete, carpenters, appliances, etc. Isn’t that the effect of greater wealth?

I get that corporate wealth flows differently, but they will likely buy more plants, equipment, technology, which helps those suppliers and their employees. And if they keep wealth for the shareholders, I will see benefit in my 401k and kids’ 529s.

Sure, there are wealthy guys (like Warren Buffet) that won’t really increase their consumption because they already have everything they need, but many will spend their extra income and create jobs.

The bottom line is that I’d rather have individuals keep more of their income and choose how to spend it, versus the government keeping more and choosing how to spend it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:27 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Heisenberg wrote:

I had a neighbor that got a huge promotion last year. He subsequently bought an $800k house in a wealthy suburb, which he tore down. He’s now building a new, $1M+ house on the same lot. He’s literally creating jobs that would not have happened if he didn’t buy this house and tear it down. General Contractor, Architect, demolition, concrete, carpenters, appliances, etc. Isn’t that the effect of greater wealth?

I get that corporate wealth flows differently, but they will likely buy more plants, equipment, technology, which helps those suppliers and their employees. And if they keep wealth for the shareholders, I will see benefit in my 401k and kids’ 529s.

Sure, there are wealthy guys (like Warren Buffet) that won’t really increase their consumption because they already have everything they need, but many will spend their extra income and create jobs.

The bottom line is that I’d rather have individuals keep more of their income and choose how to spend it, versus the government keeping more and choosing how to spend it.

Was his promotion created or did someone else have that job? What was the person in that job doing with the money?

I guess trickle down would be, you make $100,000k a year pay $40k in taxes, now because of the trickle down you pay $20k in taxes and spend a portion of that $20k in saving of taxes in the economy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Douchebag wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
looking at these numbers, the tax refund I'm going to get (as far as I can tell) will literally allow me to not have to work a 3rd job next year. This is fantastic for me. At this point in my life I don't really care what long term effect it has, I just need to get back in the black.

Yeah, who cares if your children are completely fucked.

they are anyway. I don't have the luxury of looking at what's best for my kids when we're where we are financially.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:34 am 

Douchebag wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
looking at these numbers, the tax refund I'm going to get (as far as I can tell) will literally allow me to not have to work a 3rd job next year. This is fantastic for me. At this point in my life I don't really care what long term effect it has, I just need to get back in the black.

Are your kids completely fucked because of any specific thing that happened in 1995?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:38 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Heisenberg wrote:

The problem is that tax cuts lead to lower tax revenue which leads to massive budget deficits. We're still dealing with that shit started by Reagan (and continued over the years).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:39 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Remember when the Republicans were all screaming about the ACA and how bad it was, and the response was "Well, what was your proposal for healthcare reform"?".

Not seeing a Democratic tax reform proposal here....

The process employed by Republicans did not allow for Democratic input. It was much worse than Obamacare.

Well, I'll always agree that both sides should work together more, and the Republicans certainly didn't here.

The point though is that for years it was that the Republicans had no alternate plan to Obamacare, from when it was proposed to when it passed to when they were campaigning on repealing it. Where is the Democrats tax reform proposal to compare against this one?

How about a little cherrypicking things like removing the carried interest loophole that only benefit the truly wealthy, and that's something Trump ran on.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:39 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Kirkwood wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
denisdman wrote:
The Republicans should have worked with Democrats to pass this plan, using regular order (not reconciliation) in the Senate. But such is Washington that it would never get done.

Legislation would get done. But it would take longer than 4 months. Good policy takes time to create.

Yeah like 30 years. :lol:

Uh...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/obama-to-propose-lowering-corporate-tax-rate-to-28-percent/2012/02/22/gIQA1sjdSR_story.html?utm_term=.2ca3368d7a25
Quote:
President Obama proposed a major overhaul of the nation’s corporate tax code on Wednesday, an election-year gambit that aims to draw a contrast over a key policy issue with the Republicans vying to replace him.

The plan would lower the nation’s corporate tax rate to 28 percent. At the same time, Obama wants to boost overall revenue from corporate taxation by banning numerous deductions and loopholes that save companies tens of billions of dollars a year on their tax bills...

So you're saying that a deal could have been made but Republicans didn't want to do it because of Obama? I'm shocked. Next thing you'll tell me is there was an agreement in place to reduce our annual deficit and reform entitlements and republicans backed out of that too because of Obama.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:40 am 

pittmike wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

Are your kids completely fucked because of any specific thing that happened in 1995?

the factories started moving late in 1994, but it really came to a head after 1998...why?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:53 am 
100000 CLUB

City of Fools wrote:

You know it's okay for your wife to work if you're working 3 jobs and literally killing yourself?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:56 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Heisenberg wrote:
I had a neighbor that got a huge promotion last year. He subsequently bought an $800k house in a wealthy suburb, which he tore down. He’s now building a new, $1M+ house on the same lot.

Where does he live, Dickhead Estates?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:58 am 

Nas wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

You know it's okay for your wife to work if you're working 3 jobs and literally killing yourself?

happy wife, happy life. So far so good and I'll be dropping the 3rd job at the end of this month.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:03 pm 
100000 CLUB

City of Fools wrote:
Nas wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

happy wife, happy life. So far so good and I'll be dropping the 3rd job at the end of this month.

I really hope it works out for you. You're an honorable man that's a little foolish.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:03 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

The problem is that tax cuts lead to lower tax revenue which leads to massive budget deficits. We're still dealing with that shit started by Reagan (and continued over the years).

and one of which would be an issue if we just cut our military budget down to a more sustainable level. Do that and we have no deficit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:07 pm 

Even if we eliminated the entire military it wouldn't balance the budget. Which is how incredibly fucked up this situation is.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:08 pm 

Nas wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Nas wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

I really hope it works out for you. You're an honorable man that's a little foolish.

thanks. Agreed on the second part of that statement for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:18 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
Even if we eliminated the entire military it wouldn't balance the budget. Which is how incredibly fucked up this situation is.

The budget deficit is $440 billion. We spend $598 billion on the military, and that isn't even counting the additional defense authorizations that get passed throughout the year, which push it closer to $700 billion.

If you cut our military budget down to $150 billion, we have a balanced budget and still are #1 in military spending

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

The budget deficit is $440 billion. We spend $598 billion on the military, and that isn't even counting the additional defense authorizations that get passed throughout the year, which push it closer to $700 billion.

If you cut our military budget down to $150 billion, we have a balanced budget and still are #1 in military spending

Yeah, but what about Northrop-Grumman, General Dynamics, Boeing, Raytheon, etc.? Why do you hate small businesses?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:28 pm 

Was looking at 2016 numbers. but going forward it will be similar. Defense is 15% of the budget.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:32 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

the factories started moving late in 1994, but it really came to a head after 1998...why?

I was sarcastically asking DoucheBag.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:40 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
Was looking at 2016 numbers. but going forward it will be similar. Defense is 15% of the budget.

15% overall (which includes mandatory spending like social security, Medicare, interest on debt, etc.) but 58% of discretionary spending, which is pretty much all that can be changed on the budget.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Hatchetman wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

If you had to pin me down on the most important long term issue facing this country, it is definitely fiscal imbalances. I'd vote for and advocate a balanced budget amendment in a heart beat. And if that meant cutting spending and raising taxes in equal measure along with entitlement reform, I am on board. I'd give up all my social security earnings to fix this beast.

The problem is the entire world is living in a similar paradigm.
-Poor demographic trends with less workers supporting more longer living old people,
-Large unfunded entitlement programs and pensions,
-Ongoing budget deficits,
-Large amounts of debt to GDP.

It's really just a shell game of fiat currencies fueled by Central Bank money supply musical chairs. Given that, it is more important that we make our economy as competitive as possible. It's not like either party is serious about addressing the budget deficit or entitlements.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:44 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

If you had to pin me down on the most important long term issue facing this country, it is definitely fiscal imbalances. I'd vote for and advocate a balanced budget amendment in a heart beat. And if that meant cutting spending and raising taxes in equal measure along with entitlement reform, I am on board. I'd give up all my social security earnings to fix this beast.

The problem is the entire world is living in a similar paradigm.
-Poor demographic trends with less workers supporting more longer living old people,
-Large unfunded entitlement programs and pensions,
-Ongoing budget deficits,
-Large amounts of debt to GDP.

It's really just a shell game of fiat currencies fueled by Central Bank money supply musical chairs. Given that, it is more important that we make our economy as competitive as possible. It's not like either party is serious about addressing the budget deficit or entitlements.
You are 100% dead on about the demographic trends.

The problem with programs like social security is that when you fund them via a means that looks like a pyramid scheme, well then it's going to collapse for the same structural reason a pyramid scheme does.

If my FICA contribution was put into an Index Fund, it would be worth 7 figures when I retire. My wife and I are planning for retirement as if we will receive nothing from social security. If we do get any payout, it will be blow money for us as we'll have been investing like responsible adults for 45 years by the time we retire.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 32  Next