It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Caller Bob wrote:
Skokie is really nice but it's like you died and went to Jew-Heaven.

Still? I thought the next generation had all sold their parents homes to the Koreans.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Caller Bob wrote:

It's no Highland Park...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Still? I thought the next generation had all sold their parents homes to the Koreans.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Used to live in Chicago,now we are in the process of getting my mom out and selling the childhood home.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Caller Bob wrote:

They had bad skin and wore too much makeup. I mean, they didn't look very good. They looked beat up.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:54 pm 
chaspoppcap wrote:
Used to live in Chicago,now we are in the process of getting my mom out and selling the childhood home.

......... nah..... :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I do.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:09 pm 
Hatchetman wrote:
two blocks away, but alas NOT Chicago.

This.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:11 pm 

I have sadly only lived in Chicago for about 2 days of my life.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Don Tiny wrote:
[

shakes wrote:
oh yea, forgot about Nas and Regular Reader.

Shocking.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:16 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Being born in a Chicago hospital doesn't count

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:19 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I lived on LSD for like a month when I graduated. It was awful.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

HST would disagree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:21 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Regular Reader wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Both the hospital I was born in and the grade school I attended from K-8 are now GONE.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:24 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

HST would disagree

:eye:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:29 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I guess I'll go root for the Packers.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I lived in Chicago until I was 2 and then moved to Algonquin, which will always be where I'm "from" in my mind. Little town of 3000 on the river where gravel trucks struggled up the road all day long.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
shuffled btw living in chicago and arlington hts after college. recently moved back to chicago

i'll give it a few years and then in the typical white person life cycle move back to the burbs and waste away.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:22 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Grew up in Evanston, live in Arlington Heights now. Wish I could recede even further but the wife won't hear of it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
a genius wrote:
Grew up in Evanston, live in Arlington Heights now. Wish I could recede even further but the wife won't hear of it.

You're the odd one then.

It seems that when you grow up in Evanston, you can move away, but you always move back.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:34 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock

Sorry guys.

"To add a little context to the map above, JP Morgan ranked every major city in the United States based on what percentage of their annual budgets are required just to fund interest payments on debt, pension contributions and other post retirement benefits.

The results are staggering. To our great 'shock', Chicago residents win the award of "most screwed" with over 60% of their tax dollars going to fund debt and pension payments. Meanwhile, there are a dozen municipalities where over 50% of their annual budgets are used just to fund the maintenance cost of past expenditures."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:37 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
That is fucking madness Denis. Why would anyone outside of wealthy trust fund kids subject themselves to that?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:41 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Jbi11s wrote:
That is fucking madness Denis. Why would anyone outside of wealthy trust fund kids subject themselves to that?

When it comes down to it people really just don't want to move away. Usually extended family and familiarity for some place be it Chicago or elsewhere. Sometimes the best thing to do really is Move.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:43 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
I doubt many people when they are old and dying look back on their life and say "Living in an area with low taxes and a city that had manageable debt is one of the highlights of my life".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:48 am 

pittmike wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

When it comes down to it people really just don't want to move away. Usually extended family and familiarity for some place be it Chicago or elsewhere. Sometimes the best thing to do really is Move.

People definitely are fleeing that state, but numbers like those found in the graph just make me think anyone willing to stay behind is a glutton for punishment.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:51 am 

Jbi11s wrote:

People have been speaking with their feet for many decades as the country migrates generally to the south and west. But there are a whole host of reasons for that with taxes being one element. I think the bigger reasons are climate preferences and job prospects. Arizona and Florida soak up lots of Yankees simply for weather related reasons, although both are good places tax wise. Texas and Denver are excellent places for jobs, and Denver has awesome weather (300 plus days of sun) and great outdoor activities.

Having lived here my whole life, I am probably not a good example of those who have fled. However, we will be retiring elsewhere and are close to buying a home out of state. As I have posted in the past, I cannot leave the midwest. I have travelled all over the country in the course of my employment, and quite frankly, I love Midwesterners. My wife and I also love four seasons, so we would never move south.

Taxes are just one part of the overall quality of life discussion. Lower costs of living allow people to do more with their money, like buying a larger piece of property or owning a home of a certain size. So Rick is right in that no one looks back and is excited over paying lower taxes, but they do look back with a certain degree of satisfaction with the quality of life in their retirement years- travel, golf, boats, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:55 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

People definitely are fleeing that state, but numbers like those found in the graph just make me think anyone willing to stay behind is a glutton for punishment.

The moment of reckoning that happened in Detroit and Puerto Rico will happen in other places. Benefits were doled out for decades without the funding behind them. Luckily for places like Chicago, chapter 9 will provide a good way to work out those obligations.

There is one wrinkle- my understanding is that Illinois cities cannot file chapter 9 (federal bankruptcy) without approval by the state legislature. And as everyone saw with Detroit's bankruptcy, in federal court, they do not have to fulfill state constitutional pension promises, meaning pensions would get chopped. The state legislature will not approve a Chicago bankruptcy filing. It is going to be an interesting fight that will come to a head probably by 2025 when the city pensions are due to hit zero funding.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:55 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
I doubt many people when they are old and dying look back on their life and say "Living in an area with low taxes and a city that had manageable debt is one of the highlights of my life".

Where do you live again?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:08 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Where do you live again?
I moved back to the Midwest after living in an even more expensive area than Chicago. I would move to Chicago if the right opportunity came out too and visit fairly often.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:17 am 

denisdman wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

People have been speaking with their feet for many decades as the country migrates generally to the south and west. But there are a whole host of reasons for that with taxes being one element. I think the bigger reasons are climate preferences and job prospects. Arizona and Florida soak up lots of Yankees simply for weather related reasons, although both are good places tax wise. Texas and Denver are excellent places for jobs, and Denver has awesome weather (300 plus days of sun) and great outdoor activities.

Having lived here my whole life, I am probably not a good example of those who have fled. However, we will be retiring elsewhere and are close to buying a home out of state. As I have posted in the past, I cannot leave the midwest. I have travelled all over the country in the course of my employment, and quite frankly, I love Midwesterners. My wife and I also love four seasons, so we would never move south.

Taxes are just one part of the overall quality of life discussion. Lower costs of living allow people to do more with their money, like buying a larger piece of property or owning a home of a certain size. So Rick is right in that no one looks back and is excited over paying lower taxes, but they do look back with a certain degree of satisfaction with the quality of life in their retirement years- travel, golf, boats, etc.
The weather is only really a problem in January through March, and there are ways to avoid that when you are retired. We lived in a townhouse community in NY and it wouldn't shock me if half the complex left for Florida for those three months. I think that's the best plan if you can afford it. Downsize to a low maintenance place in the Midwest and then get a place you can go to in a place with little to no snow.