It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Rick, do you think a private business run by Jews should be forced to serve someone wearing a Nazi uniform?

Of course.

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of Holocaust survivors who might want to kill you for that opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:27 pm 

Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
I had a situation that speaks to this at the now defunct Blackfinns on Kinzie/Clark. I wanted to use their space to host an event. They okd us for the event initially. Once I stated that we were bringing a DJ they nixed it. They nixed it even though they do allow DJs. Once I informed their event planner of the style music that was to be played they killed it. Stated that it ran counter to their "brand". I simply found another spot whose "brand" wouldn't be offended and held the event. I felt it was some bullshit but I also realized that it was their loss because I guaranteed them upwards of 600 people. Less than a year later their doors were closed.

The opposite happens more often. MANY people flock to a spot because certain things aren't allowed. We do it too. We don't go to lounges or clubs that have a young crowd because there is a good chance something dumb will happen. We like the no gym shoe policy because it generally keeps out the crowd that will likely start trouble. When bigots find out shit like this they flood places with money and donations. Remember that bigot that got about a million in donations for refusing to serve gays?

You're right and that is why I don't get too shitty about certain things. This was a little different because it was collegiate based but I get it completely.

No Gym shoe hoodie and hat policy does keep the bullshit down somewhat. There have been too many incidents to argue otherwise. Places have to stay in business and too many incidents will get them shut down.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:28 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Rick, do you think a private business run by Jews should be forced to serve someone wearing a Nazi uniform?

Of course.

Though it should be pointed out Nazi and gay person aren't really a good comparison.

And who determines that?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:50 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Of course.

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of Holocaust survivors who might want to kill you for that opinion.

Why? Can they also refuse all Germans?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:50 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
long time guy wrote:
I had a situation that speaks to this at the now defunct Blackfinns on Kinzie/Clark. I wanted to use their space to host an event. They okd us for the event initially. Once I stated that we were bringing a DJ they nixed it. They nixed it even though they do allow DJs. Once I informed their event planner of the style music that was to be played they killed it. Stated that it ran counter to their "brand". I simply found another spot whose "brand" wouldn't be offended and held the event. I felt it was some bullshit but I also realized that it was their loss because I guaranteed them upwards of 600 people. Less than a year later their doors were closed.

A DJ is the most important job at any music club. I ran a club for a few years and you HAD TO use our DJ for a private party. If that wasn't OK for people, they were free to go somewhere else. Brand is very important to a club manager that understands the business.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:55 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Of course.

Though it should be pointed out Nazi and gay person aren't really a good comparison.

And who determines that?
Well, our government has created special protected groups and sexual orientation is/should be there.

If you classify Nazis as a hate group then there is the argument that they provide a danger to the public at large, but JLN will be here quickly to tell us all that being a Nazi doesn't mean you are a danger as he did in the "Nazi puncher" thread.

We regulate businesses in thousands of ways. "Forcing" them to not have a policy of denying service to all gay people is something they can deal with.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:04 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Nas wrote:
Remember that bigot that got about a million in donations for refusing to serve gays?

I don't believe that putting it that way is really an accurate characterization. If I remember correctly, the bakers were fined some huge amount for refusing to make a lesbian cake and there was crowd-sourced funding to help pay the fine. I'm reading leash's opinion on the matter and I could see someone like him chipping in to help pay what he believes in an unfair fine all while thinking it's ignorant not to serve the lesbians.

I'll ask you this, Nas. What if you were a doctor and the government ordered you to perform an abortion? It's not exactly the same thing as baking a cake, but I think the basis is close enough for this conversation.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:52 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
What if you were a doctor and the government ordered you to perform an abortion? It's not exactly the same thing as baking a cake.

More like burning one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:18 am 

Seacrest wrote:
long time guy wrote:

A DJ is the most important job at any music club. I ran a club for a few years and you HAD TO use our DJ for a private party. If that wasn't OK for people, they were free to go somewhere else. Brand is very important to a club manager that understands the business.

That's why I didn't trip too much. I saw the same thing happen Friday at Brickhouse Tavern in Wrigleyville. They had an HBCU thing for the Cubs Reds game. After party post Cubs game. They marketed it as an HBCU thing. were scheduled to use a couple of DJs that I know. Once they were about to come on there were technical difficulties all of a sudden. Equipment issues. Could only use the satellite. Little suspicious but hey wasn't anyway to know for sure. I'm sure they got paid for their time at least.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:28 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Remember that bigot that got about a million in donations for refusing to serve gays?

I don't believe that putting it that way is really an accurate characterization. If I remember correctly, the bakers were fined some huge amount for refusing to make a lesbian cake and there was crowd-sourced funding to help pay the fine. I'm reading leash's opinion on the matter and I could see someone like him chipping in to help pay what he believes in an unfair fine all while thinking it's ignorant not to serve the lesbians.

I'll ask you this, Nas. What if you were a doctor and the government ordered you to perform an abortion? It's not exactly the same thing as baking a cake, but I think the basis is close enough for this conversation.

It was multiple businesses. It became a badge of honor to publicly come out and say you wouldn't serve gays.

It's a silly question. No one is asking a cardiologist or a podiatrist to perform an abortion. There is no need to justify bigotry. If you serve sandwiches at lunch I shouldn't have to go around back to get one. There shouldn't be a separate water fountain for me. If you print flyers you shouldn't deny Don Lemon because he wants one that is promoting the Gay Pride Parade. If you wash cars you shouldn't deny David Duke because he has a KKK and MAGA bumper sticker.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:44 am 

All due respect to my friends Rick and Nas, you're doing exactly what I complained about in the OP. You are only arguing morality when there's no moral disagreement. No one is justifying bigotry or condoning discrimination. We are simply arguing over whether the government should force people to do business with everyone as a remedy. I don't think they should.

The government forcing some asshole to serve gay people won't make him any less of an asshole.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
leashyourkids wrote:
All due respect to my friends Rick and Nas, you're doing exactly what I complained about in the OP. You are only arguing morality when there's no moral disagreement. No one is justifying bigotry or condoning discrimination. We are simply arguing over whether the government should force people to do business with everyone as a remedy. I don't think they should.

The government forcing some asshole to serve gay people won't make him any less of an asshole.

I completely get your point and somewhat agree. Let the racist baker, for example, die out as his business suffers because gays as well as right thinking people refuse to do business with him. What do people do in the small rural town where there is only one bakery, cafe, generic company etc?

What it comes down to I guess is what are the classes that need protection no matter what? Race is an easy one. Age and some others. There are certain things humans do that must be accommodated no matter what.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:52 am 
100000 CLUB

leashyourkids wrote:

Let's not pretend that we don't legislate morality.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:53 am 

pittmike wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I completely get your point and somewhat agree. Let the racist baker, for example, die out as his business suffers because gays as well as right thinking people refuse to do business with him. What do people do in the small rural town where there is only one bakery, cafe, generic company etc?

What it comes down to I guess is what are the classes that need protection no matter what? Race is an easy one. Age and some others. There are certain things humans do that must be accommodated no matter what.

Maybe. I suppose if you extended it to, say, health care, it would be a different scenario than a cake or something that's not an absolute necessity.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:53 am 

Nas wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

We do, but we do it very poorly and hypocritically in many circumstances.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:02 am 

Part of this plays into the recent discussions of gender identity and whether it is a choice or born etc. It is a big deal to be a protected class. In the obvious example you cannot discriminate against a black person and one of the reasons is they are born that way and thus have certain and equal human rights.

A Nazi for a recent example is not born that way and is not afforded all of the protections others are given. The baker or car wash owner does not HAVE to deal with them.

I think by now it is generally accepted that gays are born that way even if I am not sure it is legally written down somewhere in stone. More cloudy is the trans type question in that area. I assume it is important to those people that they are considered to be a protected class the same as race so they cannot be discriminated against ever in any situation.

I lost my train of thought but I think your theory of letting businesses hang themselves gets less acceptance the more clear or accepted the protected class is. How can you allow discrimination to someone that has no choice in what they are?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:05 am 

pittmike wrote:
Part of this plays into the recent discussions of gender identity and whether it is a choice or born etc. It is a big deal to be a protected class. In the obvious example you cannot discriminate against a black person and one of the reasons is they are born that way and thus have certain and equal human rights.

A Nazi for a recent example is not born that way and is not afforded all of the protections others are given. The baker or car wash owner does not HAVE to deal with them.

I think by now it is generally accepted that gays are born that way even if I am not sure it is legally written down somewhere in stone. More cloudy is the trans type question in that area. I assume it is important to those people that they are considered to be a protected class the same as race so they cannot be discriminated against ever in any situation.

I lost my train of thought but I think your theory of letting businesses hang themselves gets less acceptance the more clear or accepted the protected class is. How can you allow discrimination to someone that has no choice in what they are?

Whatever, hippie.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:10 am 

leashyourkids wrote:

I'm not arguing morality. I'm arguing what the government can and should do. To operate as a business you have to abide by certain rules. We have determined it is in the public good to keep businesses free of discrimination. The government forces businesses to do thousands of things they may not do if they had a choice. Using the bakery example, they have to get health inspections, keep track of sales and provide that data to the government, operate only in places that are zoned for commercial/retail, and legally hire people. Every one of those is telling a business that they have to behave in a certain way. Why should discrimination against protected groups be any different?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:13 am 

pittmike wrote:

The better question is why does it matter if they were born that way or if it was a choice? If someone chooses to be gay then why would it suddenly be ok to discriminate against them? Unlike a Nazi, being gay doesn't come from a position of hate and can't be viewed as dangerous to the general public.

Why would we choose to err on the side of discrimination?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:17 am 
100000 CLUB

I mostly agree with PittMike, but I think the Nazi should be protected too. If they come into your business and they're wearing a shirt or an arm band, but aren't chanting or spewing any hate, they should be served.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:18 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:

The better question is why does it matter if they were born that way or if it was a choice? If someone chooses to be gay then why would it suddenly be ok to discriminate against them? Unlike a Nazi, being gay doesn't come from a position of hate and can't be viewed as dangerous to the general public.

Why would we choose to err on the side of discrimination?

I personally don't think it is ok to discriminate against anyone so I do not have your answer. In fact, it is bad business. My post was simply pointing out that if things were going to go the way Leash mentioned things that are not a choice i.e. race are easier to see the need for general protection.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:20 am 

Nas wrote:
I mostly agree with PittMike, but I think the Nazi should be protected too. If they come into your business and they're wearing a shirt or an arm band, but aren't chanting or spewing any hate, they should be served.

That is what I am saying. You can choose to do that. You cannot choose to not serve me because I am white.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:28 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
leashyourkids wrote:

Depends if it involves using an oven.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:23 am 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Let's not pretend that Christianity is ambiguous about homosexual behavior then.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:23 am 

Seacrest wrote:
Nas wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Let's not pretend that Christianity is ambiguous about homosexual behavior then.

Let's kill them all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:24 am 

Uh oh. Seacrest jumping in.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:26 am 
Site Admin

Douchebag wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Nas wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Let's kill them all.

Lies and strawmen won't be of any help to you.

The adults are trying to have a conversation. Run and along and play outside now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:28 am 

Seacrest wants an abomination to run rampant on this Earth. He's not enough of a believer to deliver god's message.

Sad.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:29 am 

Seacrest wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Nas wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Let's kill them all.

Lies and strawmen won't be of any help to you.

The adults are trying to have a conversation. Run and along and play outside now.

Nas, Spaulding, FF, rpb, good dolphin, IMU

Last edited by rogers park bryan on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:29 am 
Site Admin

Douchebag wrote:
Seacrest wants an abomination to run rampant on this Earth. He's not enough of a believer to deliver god's message.

Sad.

That's Brick's bit to pass along lies and misinformation.

Like I said, the kids are waiting outside for you.

MEOW.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next