It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Controversial" Dove Ad
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dove-f ... li=BBnb7Kz

A social media outcry over an advertisement for Dove body wash which showed a black woman removing her top to reveal a white woman has escalated into a public relations disaster for the Unilever brand. (UNLVR.L)

The 3-second video clip, posted on Dove's U.S. Facebook page on Friday, reminded some social media users of racist soap adverts from the 19th century or early 20th century that showed black people scrubbing their skin to become white.

Dove removed the clip and apologized, saying on Twitter that the post had "missed the mark in representing women of color thoughtfully".

But the apology failed to stem a torrent of online criticism, with some social media users calling for a boycott of Dove products, while conventional media outlets in the United States and Europe were also seizing on the story.

In Britain, the controversy featured prominently in Monday's television breakfast shows, with guests debating how the ad got through the company's approval process and whether it was indicative of a broader problem with racism in marketing.

On Twitter, posts including the hashtag #BoycottDove, which started over the weekend among U.S. users, were appearing in multiple European languages.

"In short, racism is back in fashion and brands are looking to benefit," wrote user @Beatrix B. in French.

In the full clip, the black woman removed her t-shirt to reveal the white woman, who then lifted her own top to reveal an Asian woman.

"The short video was intended to convey that Dove body wash is for every woman and be a celebration of diversity, but we got it wrong," Dove said in a statement.

The black-to-white transition was reminiscent in the eyes of some viewers of infamous soap ads from history, some of which were posted on social media.

In one example from the 1880s, a black child is pictured bathing in a tub while a white child offers him a bar of soap. After using the soap, the black child looks delighted to see that his skin has turned white.

Dove declined to say how the ad was produced and approved. It said it was "re-evaluating our internal processes for creating and approving content".

A previous Dove ad, which showed three women side by side in front of a before-and-after image of cracked and smooth skin, caused an uproar in 2011 because the woman positioned on the "before" side was black while the "after" woman was white. Dove said at the time all three were supposed to "demonstrate the 'after' product benefit".

(Reporting by Estelle Shirbon; Editing by Peter Graff)

Not taking the full ad into consideration while calling it racist is a little disingenuous, and I don't think citing ads from over 130 years ago validates those claims.

"In the full clip, the black woman removed her t-shirt to reveal the white woman, who then lifted her own top to reveal an Asian woman."

The first thing I thought of when I saw the ad was Michael Jackson's video for "Black or White."

Given how far out if their way Dove has gone in recent years to be inclusive, diverse, body positive, etc. in their ads I don't believe there was any racism involved in the creation of this ad.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Saw that earlier and just shook my head.

People are just goofy. It's not like they were trying say that deep down, African-Americans all just want to be white.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
Reminds me of an old "Headline" from The Tonight Show with Jay Leno where someone sent in a newspaper advertisement for a tanning company. The ad shows a before and after picture. The before picture is a doughy, pasty white guy, and the after picture was this toned black guy. Pretty funny.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I read an article about this last night and showed my wife... and it took us 5 minutes to figure out what was supposed to be offensive about it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:48 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Terry's Peeps wrote:

People are just goofy. It's not like they were trying say that deep down, African-Americans all just want to be white.

Black America sees it as saying blacks are dirty. It didn't really register with me but it's an ad someone on the marketing team should recognize will be controversial. Kinda like the ESPN draft thing.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:50 pm 
100000 CLUB

leashyourkids wrote:
I read an article about this last night and showed my wife... and it took us 5 minutes to figure out what was supposed to be offensive about it.

I say this respectfully, but that's likely because you and your wife aren't tuned into these kinda things.

Nas wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Black America sees it as saying blacks are dirty. It didn't really register with me but it's an ad someone on the marketing team should recognize will be controversial. Kinda like the ESPN draft thing.

Yeah, after thinking about it, I do think it was dumb of them to release, knowing how on edge everyone is. I just don't understand the outrage. I highly doubt Dove soap was intentionally trying to offend black people.

Nas wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I say this respectfully, but that's likely because you and your wife aren't tuned into these kinda things.

I agree.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:55 pm 

Nas wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Black America say it as saying blacks are dirty. It didn't really register with me but it's an add that someone on the marketing team should recognize will be controversial. Kinda like the ESPN draft think.

I am outraged. Going to switch to Axe body wash.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:57 pm 

Nas wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

In what sequence could Dove have featured people of different races for those who found it offensive to think it is not offensive?

White to Black to Asian?
White to Asian to Black?
Asian to White to Black?
Black to White to Asian?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Juiced wrote:
Nas wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Black America say it as saying blacks are dirty. It didn't really register with me but it's an add that someone on the marketing team should recognize will be controversial. Kinda like the ESPN draft think.

Better not let people know it's marketed to white people as "Ask"

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:04 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Juiced wrote:
Nas wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:23 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Juiced wrote:
Nas wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

:lol: Wait, does this make me racist because I found this funny? So confused. :?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Its one thing to say something off the cuff and have it be misconstrued in one way or another. I'm constantly shocked how ads and TV programs manage to screw things up and create controversies like this. Maybe it's because I'm a pessimist but any time I am coming up with a new idea/plan at work, I always think "How is this going to fuck me up in the long run?" How do they not have one person in a pitch meeting, during casting, during filming even, pipe up and say 'is it a good idea to have a soap commercial show a black person turning white?'

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Its one thing to say something off the cuff and have it be misconstrued in one way or another. I'm constantly shocked how ads and TV programs manage to screw things up and create controversies like this. Maybe it's because I'm a pessimist but any time I am coming up with a new idea/plan at work, I always think "How is this going to fuck me up in the long run?" How do they not have one person in a pitch meeting, during casting, during filming even, pipe up and say 'is it a good idea to have a soap commercial show a black person turning white?'

No persons of color in the decision making? Not their demographic maybe, so they were excluded out of any pre-screening commercials that were run for the 'target demographic'

You are 100% correct. This never should have seen the light of day.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:40 pm 

beni hanna wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

No persons of color in the decision making? Not their demographic maybe, so they were excluded out of any pre-screening commercials that were run for the 'target demographic'

Dove has gone out if their way in recent years to be inclusive, diverse, body positive, etc. in their ads. Given that, I would be surprised if a variety of people are not involved in either the creation or screening of their ads.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:42 pm 

pizza_Place: maciano's
You guessed it,

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:44 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:

Companies are stupid. They never realize how dumb their promotions are or what the potential bad ramifications can be. Just look at all those automated Twitter promotions. This one was my favorite:

https://deadspin.com/chip-brands-automa ... 1795546405

Or this one:

https://deadspin.com/maybe-you-shouldnt ... 1658660978

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:49 pm 

That Patriots one.... good god almighty.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:55 pm 
100000 CLUB

Tad Queasy wrote:
Nas wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

In what sequence could Dove have featured people of different races for those who found it offensive to think it is not offensive?

White to Black to Asian?
White to Asian to Black?
Asian to White to Black?
Black to White to Asian?

I don't think you saw the ad.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:58 pm 
100000 CLUB

Juiced wrote:
Nas wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

I'll try it too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:59 pm 

Nas wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
Nas wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

White to Black to Asian?
White to Asian to Black?
Asian to White to Black?
Black to White to Asian?

I don't think you saw the ad.

Why do you say that?

Last edited by Tad Queasy on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:59 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:
Nas wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

White to Black to Asian?
White to Asian to Black?
Asian to White to Black?
Black to White to Asian?

Why was it even necessary to change races to imply cleanliness?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:00 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
Nas wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

White to Black to Asian?
White to Asian to Black?
Asian to White to Black?
Black to White to Asian?

Why do you think they were implying one race is cleaner than the other?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Regular Reader wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
Nas wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

White to Black to Asian?
White to Asian to Black?
Asian to White to Black?
Black to White to Asian?

I thought it was trying to show everyone loves Dove but again I'm sure Nas is right in that I am blind to other meanings.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:03 pm 

Right now some C level old man is longing for the days when people were upset at Dove for showing laughing fat ladies in their bras.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:05 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
Nas wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

White to Black to Asian?
White to Asian to Black?
Asian to White to Black?
Black to White to Asian?

Why do you think they were implying one race is cleaner than the other?

I don't necessarily think that. I do believe that they were following the diversity trend in ads.

And picked a dumb way to do it in an ad for a cleaning product

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:06 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Right now some C level old man is longing for the days when people were upset at Dove for showing laughing fat ladies in their bras.

Is that a shot? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:09 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Is that a shot? :lol:

No :lol: :lol:

Were you upset about the t0pless fat lady ads?

I meant like a CEO, COO etc.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:10 pm 

It's an interesting development in society that we have to have a discussion if a bar of soap hates minorities or just made a mistake pandering to minorities.