It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bluetooth and Butt Plugs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:38 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Apparently your bluetooth controlled butt plug can be hacked. We live in very interesting times.

Researchers have discovered a serious security flaw with a Bluetooth-enabled butt plug that allows hackers to remotely take control of the vibrating sex toy.

Italian security researcher Giovanni Mellini published his findings in a blogpost on Tuesday, October 18, describing how he was able to send a vibrate command to a Hush butt plug from his laptop.

The Hush device, manufactured by Lovense, is designed to be a “long-distance love toy” and is described by the sex toy startup as “the world’s first teledildonic butt plug” that can be "controlled from anywhere."

Mellini said the idea to hack a butt plug started as a joke between a friend but decided to follow through after wanting to explore the security of the Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) protocol.

“This caught my attention after researchers told us that a lot of sex toys use this protocol to allow remote control that is insecure by design,” Mellini explained in his blog.

The BLE protocol vulnerability was first discovered by another security researcher called Simone Margaritelli, who wrote a scanner that Mellini used in the butt plug hack. Margaritelli described BLE in a separate blogpost as “a cheap and very insecure version of Bluetooth, in which you have…. no built-in protocol security.”

The device is one of dozens of sex toys that manufacturers have launched in recent years that can connect to smartphones and computers via WiFi and Bluetooth in order to allow users to control them remotely and download software updates.

However, security experts warn that these companies too often treat cybersecurity as an afterthought.

Lovense did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Newsweek but the sex toy company has spoken previously about the security of its products.

“There are three layers of security,” Lovense said in a statement last year. “The server side, the way we transfer information from the user’s phone to our server and on the client side. We take our customer’s private data very seriously, which is why we don’t serve any on our servers.”

The Hush butt plug is the latest so-called smart device to come under scrutiny and is part of a growing trend of manufacturers overlooking cybersecurity risks with their products.

Last year, security researchers from cybersecurity firm Trend Micro demonstrated how they could hack a web-connected vibrator.

“If I hack a vibrator it’s just fun,” Raimund Genes, chief technology officer at Trend Micro, said at the time. “But if I can get to the back-end, I can blackmail the manufacturer.”

http://www.newsweek.com/hacked-butt-plu ... toy-687719

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:31 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
This sounds like a wacky Morning Zoo.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:32 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Hhhmmm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
I'm sure some self published Amazon author will leverage this into a riveting erotic novel. Cybersecurity, cybersex, cyber butt!~

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I didn't know but plugs vibrated. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:52 pm 

Those chat sites where you throw money down and their plug vibrates is pretty much the antithesis of the entire invention of the internet.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Anything that fits can be a buttplug I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:41 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
KDdidit wrote:
Anything that fits can be a buttplug I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:24 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Quote:
“If I hack a vibrator it’s just fun,” Raimund Genes, chief technology officer at Trend Micro, said at the time. “But if I can get to the back-end, I can blackmail the manufacturer.”

Sounds like they hacked the back end, all right.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:33 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Hatchetman wrote:
I didn't know but plugs vibrated. :lol:

Sure you didnt.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.