It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
This article title confused both my brain and my penis....

http://www.newsweek.com/great-tits-are- ... ers-688560

Quote:
GREAT TITS ARE EVOLVING LONGER BEAKS BECAUSE OF BIRD FEEDERS

Certain birds in the U.K. have longer beaks than their non-U.K. brethren of the same species. Evolutionary biologists suggest that it’s the British people’s fondness for setting out bird feeders that is behind this trend. The hobby appears to be directly impacting evolution.

Researchers studied beak lengths of great tits in the U.K., where bird feeders are popular, and in the Netherlands, where they are not. They also tracked the location of tagged tits to determine how much time they spent at bird feeders. The scientists also have 70 years’ worth of historical data on great tits and could discern that their beak lengths are changing with time. The study was published today in the journal Science.

The researchers started by analyzing DNA from more than 3,000 great tits in the U.K. and in the Netherlands. They found differences in several genes indicating face shape. The gene variant for faces with longer beaks was correlated with having a higher number of fledgling chicks—so the gene can continue to spread throughout their population.

“DNA is a really useful way of finding out how natural selection occurs in the wild,” evolutionary biologist Lewis Spurgin at the University of East Anglia, one of the authors of this study, tells Newsweek. “Our study shows that we can start with DNA and build up a really complete picture of how evolution works.”

Spurgin says he doesn’t know for sure why birds would need longer beaks in the presence of more bird feeders. “There are several possibilities. It could be that they’re simply more able to access the feed, you may be able to get to it better,” Spurgin says. “It could have something to do with [their beak being] less damaged by the pecking, but we don’t know, that’s something that we’d like to do in the future.”

Bird feeders gained popularity as a way to help birds survive through harsh winters. Now, their primary function is to attract birds to yards for viewing. It became disproportionately popular in the U.K., and now the U.K. purchases twice as much bird feed annually as the rest of Europe combined.

However, it’s hard to say for certain that the presence of bird feeders is causing the lengthened beaks. The change could be due to another difference in the environment that the researchers didn’t recognize, or it could be that they are evolving different songs, for instance.

Britain seems to be a paradise for birds. In 2015, the journal Global Change Biology published a similar study on a birds called black caps and found that over a 12-year period, black caps increasingly started wintering in Britain instead of the Caribbean.

As Charles Darwin learned with his finches, bird beaks adapt to their environment. And with so many bird feeders in the U.K., that’s the environment that great tits have to adapt to.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
As a birder, this still gets me from time to time...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Reality Kings
I consider this thread an assault. #metoo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
The article mentioned nothing about nipples.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Coalfire
The biggest threat to these birds are male Bernsteins.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:11 pm 

Bro, it's insane how sand bags are getting huger and huger. I was with my bro C.J. at the gym, and as I was framing him flexing, this chick walked past us with the fucking biggest tads I've seen and she must've been like freshman in college. of course C.J. was gonna mack that but the dude workin' the counter wouldn't shut the fuck up trying to get with her. she had some nice arm tattoos too but she was totally icing my bro. I remember we had some girls in school that had some nice twins but most of them were itty bitty titty committee brah. Then you had chicks like Meghan Mauer who had fucking icecycle tits. Had to be the bra, bruh. For realsies.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:12 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
So much for " evolution taking millions of years"

As a birdman myself i think it's interesting.. I do worry about in 4-5 years from now when there are thousands of drones zipping all over the sky..cant be good for birds.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
312player wrote:

As a birdman myself i think it's interesting.. I do worry about in 4-5 years from now when there are thousands of drones zipping all over the sky..cant be good for birds.

In all seriousness, that would have been one of my last guesses as to your hobbies.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:14 pm 

312player wrote:

Yeah--the windmills are killing lots of them and the ever-expanding bounds of suburbia keep taking away their food sources.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:15 pm 

denisdman wrote:
312player wrote:

In all seriousness, that would have been one of my last guesses as to your hobbies.

I don't own any books or binoculars but im an animal lover..i like to feed the birds and squirrels.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:16 pm 

312player wrote:
denisdman wrote:
312player wrote:

I don't own any books or binoculars but im an animal lover..i like to feed the birds and squirrels.

It's all good. I love animals, but not a birdman myself. My wife on the other hand, loves birds especially her humming bird feeder.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:17 pm 

312player wrote:
I don't own any books

no surprise there. 8)

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:18 pm 

denisdman wrote:
312player wrote:
denisdman wrote:
312player wrote:

It's all good. I love animals, but not a birdman myself. My wife on the other hand, loves birds especially her humming bird feeder.

Likes chick rock . . . feeds the birds . . . 312 is much more sensitive and whimsical than we give him credit for . . .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
denisdman wrote:

Have you noticed the eagle's nest at I-90 and Arlington Heights Road?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:23 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:

No, I head West from Meacham, but I have been by there several times for Cubs game and to O'Hare. I'll look next time I go that way. I had noticed some newer commercial development on the south side of I-90 in that area.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

denisdman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:

No, I head West from Meacham, but I have been by there several times for Cubs game and to O'Hare. I'll look next time I go that way. I had noticed some newer commercial development on the south side of I-90 in that area.

You know where the heron rookery used to be? There's one giant nest and i saw an eagle there last week.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:28 pm 

My buddy's old man has a hybrid falcon he hunts pheasant and doves with..beautiful bird..1\3 the size of the massive hawks we have on the south side.

You didnt see any crows or jays for while with the west nile wiping them out but the population rebounding now.

I seen 7 or 8 black squirrel on 88th- 90th street tween cornell and east end..first time i seen black squirrel in this state.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:28 pm 

312player wrote:
I seen 7 or 8 black squirrel on 88th- 90th street tween cornell and east end..first time i seen black squirrel in this state.

There goes the neighborhood...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:29 pm 

tommy wrote:
denisdman wrote:
312player wrote:
denisdman wrote:
312player wrote:

Likes chick rock . . . feeds the birds . . . 312 is much more sensitive and whimsical than we give him credit for . . .

I put dandelions on my window sill for the monk parrots..i like those noisy Mfers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:31 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
312player wrote:

It's probably the nicest black neighborhood on the south side..real clean and nice homes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:31 pm 
Site Admin

Douchebag wrote:
312player wrote:

:lol:

I see black squirrels in north Evanston and Wilmette all the time. What I always wonder is why don't the breed with the regular gray squirrels and wipe out the variation? I should have paid more attention in biology classes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:41 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
312player wrote:

I see black squirrels in north Evanston and Wilmette all the time. What I always wonder is why don't the breed with the regular gray squirrels and wipe out the variation? I should have paid more attention in biology classes.

I caught two in michigan and had em in a plastic bin with a lid..had 1/4" holes drilled for fresh air and gave them to a friend to bring back to Chicago..they chewed a hole through the plastic and got loose in her van.. They jumped out at a gas station in Indiana. I had a plan to start a population in McKinley Pk.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:50 pm 
Site Admin

312player wrote:
I caught two in michigan and had em in a plastic bin with a lid..had 1/4" holes drilled for fresh air and gave them to a friend to bring back to Chicago..they chewed a hole through the plastic and got loose in her van.. They jumped out at a gas station in Indiana. I had a plan to start a population in McKinley Pk.

Squirrels can get wild. One day my mom heard a bunch of commotion in her basement. She thought someone had broken in. She called the cops and the dispatcher suggested in might be an animal. My mom said, "If it's an animal it must be a lion." It was a pair of squirrels. I'm still not sure how they got in.

Also, typing this reminded me of a conversation I overheard two old black ladies having in a restaurant. One of them came home and saw her kitchen window was smashed in. She thought it was a burglar. She told her friend she looked inside and saw his eyes glowing in the dark. He was about 5'5" or so. It turned out it was a raccoon standing on its rear legs. She had no idea they could be that tall. Frankly, neither did I.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:

Also, typing this reminded me of a conversation I overheard two old black ladies having in a restaurant. One of them came home and saw her kitchen window was smashed in. She thought it was a burglar. She told her friend she looked inside and saw his eyes glowing in the dark. He was about 5'5" or so. It turned out it was a raccoon standing on its rear legs. She had no idea they could be that tall. Frankly, neither did I.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
312player wrote:
My buddy's old man has a hybrid falcon he hunts pheasant and doves with..beautiful bird..1\3 the size of the massive hawks we have on the south side.

You didnt see any crows or jays for while with the west nile wiping them out but the population rebounding now.

Geneseo has a majority black squirrel population and have seen them in towns all along I-80 out here. 17 years ago pretty much only in Geneseo.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:52 pm 

312player wrote:

I put dandelions on my window sill for the monk parrots..i like those noisy Mfers.

those are funny little guys

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:55 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
312player wrote:

we had a red one a while back, but I really want go to olney, illinois, to see the white ones. when i caddied at beverly country club, they had a white one running around for a while.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:37 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
tommy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
312player wrote:

we had a red one a while back, but I really want go to olney, illinois, to see the white ones. when i caddied at beverly country club, they had a white one running around for a while.

White squirrel at a Country Club. What a surprise.