It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
rogers park bryan wrote:
Lawmakers on both sides should be calling for that.

Yes! And in the absence of that, one side should not be claiming moral superiority!

pizza_Place: Pequods
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Lot of people having two sets of standards here.

Franken should resign
Moore should drop out

Seems pretty easy there.

agreed.

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Franken should resign
Moore should drop out

Seems pretty easy there.

Agreed.

Who has two sets of standards?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:34 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Franken should resign
Moore should drop out

Seems pretty easy there.

Agreed.

Who has two sets of standards?
rpb was taking a shot at some of the board liberals.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:35 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
So many on the left are providing cover for Franken, not shocking really.

I havent seen much cover. I've seen far more people call for his resignation and then saying SEE, we hold OUR guys accountable.

Who are the many?

Edit: I see Tad posted the letter from SNL staffers. Anybody who matters? Politicians?

Who’s calling for his resignation? I don’t hear much of that.

Compare that with McConnell telling Moore to drop out and threatening to vote not to seat him in the Senate. I don't like the fucking turtle, but he's sure showing more leadership here than his colleagues on the other side.

You know better than this. McConnell hates Moore to begin with.

Here's another for the Franken resign camp

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/36261 ... uld-resign

And look, Im not claiming the dems have any moral superiority. But there hasn't been much rallying around or defending
Franken at all by Dem politicians. It's just not true.

Name one Democratic Senator who has asked him to resign. They might start coming out of the woodwork in a few days, but for weeks they were silent

You said dems. Now you're limiting it to just Senators.

Anyway, here is another one...

Rep. Joe Crowley (D-N.Y.), chairman of the House Democratic Caucus, is the highest ranking Democrat to call for Franken’s resignation.

“I think it’s time for Sen. Franken to go,” Crowley said in an interview.

And you also said proving cover. Silence, while not the best route, is not providing cover.

Providing cover is saying that the virgin Mary was a minor or that starting a large family requires dating 14 year olds.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:35 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

And look, Im not claiming the dems have any moral superiority. But there hasn't been much rallying around or defending

Name one Democratic Senator who has asked him to resign. They might start coming out of the woodwork in a few days, but for weeks they were silent

Right. They aren't defending him but almost all of them have been silent on that.

RPB, you can't dismiss the McConnell comments on Moore and counter with some guy nobody has ever heard of calling for Franken to resign and act like the Dems somehow have the advantage there. :lol: That's BIASED NEWS.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:36 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
[i]
Rep. Joe Crowley (D-N.Y.), chairman of the House Democratic Caucus, is the highest ranking Democrat to call for Franken’s resignation.

:lol:

I think that sentence tells us all we need to know on this.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
I read "Crowley" as "Cowley".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:39 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
You said dems. Now you're limiting it to just Senators.

Anyway, here is another one...

“I think it’s time for Sen. Franken to go,” Crowley said in an interview.

And you also said proving cover. Silence, while not the best route, is not providing cover.

Providing cover is saying that the virgin Mary was a minor or that starting a large family requires dating 14 year olds.

I asked which one of his colleagues asked for his resignation. I'd say "colleagues" for a Senator certainly implies other Senators. That was my original question.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:40 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Right. They aren't defending him but almost all of them have been silent on that.

RPB, you can't dismiss the McConnell comments on Moore and counter with some guy nobody has ever heard of calling for Franken to resign and act like the Dems somehow have the advantage there. :lol: That's BIASED NEWS.

I am not claiming dems have the advantage at all. I thought that was clear.

I havent seen much cover. If you mean Silence = cover, then that's fair. Ogie's original statement seemed to indicate they were defending him.

As far as two sets of standards...

There is this
viewtopic.php?p=2858634#p2858634

And I dont see much criticism aimed at R's that have been silent on Moore. Perhaps I missed that.

So to me, it seems like people are criticizing the actual defense (virgin mary, alabamans are too stupid to know better, etc) of Moore with the silence on Franken.

I think defending is worse than silence in this case.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:42 pm 

SuperMario wrote:
tommy wrote:
SuperMario wrote:
Entitled millennials removing chancellor over perceptions of racial inequality = good
Entitled millennials removing head coach at Southern redneck university = bad

You took the words right out of my mouth. Why does this rednecks = literally Hitler argument have such a stranglehold upon the elite? Especially after people have been pointing out its flaws for years.

Good question. Dumb = Southern = White = Nazi....I guess?

Next day...

SuperMario wrote:

Agree. But these are the dumbass people from Alabama. It's almost to be expected. Franken supporters are supposed to be the educated, elite, future leaders of America. Their hypocrisy shines brighter.

And I am a big fan of SM the poster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:43 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Douchebag wrote:
SuperMario wrote:
It's because the liberal cause is so important to them that they would rather passively excuse a piece of shit because his politics are more important. The old "do what I say not what I do" mantra. Not to say that the right has not done this too, but leftists, especially extreme progressive leftists, feel the cause is too big to let one or two people get in the way...or in this case get out of the way.

It's like the Chappelle Show sketch with the blind, white black supremacist. When the reporter asks his friend why he doesn't tell him or expose that he's black, his answer is that he's too important to the cause. That's Franken.

The Franken defenders are bad, but people have literally said they would still vote for Moore even if all the child molestation stories are true. That is some scary shit.

Pretty sure Franken could get re-elected today.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:45 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Franken should resign
Moore should drop out

Seems pretty easy there.

Didn’t we see many right pols say he should drop out?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:46 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
SuperMario wrote:
tommy wrote:
SuperMario wrote:
Entitled millennials removing chancellor over perceptions of racial inequality = good
Entitled millennials removing head coach at Southern redneck university = bad

You took the words right out of my mouth. Why does this rednecks = literally Hitler argument have such a stranglehold upon the elite? Especially after people have been pointing out its flaws for years.

Good question. Dumb = Southern = White = Nazi....I guess?

Next day...

SuperMario wrote:

Agree. But these are the dumbass people from Alabama. It's almost to be expected. Franken supporters are supposed to be the educated, elite, future leaders of America. Their hypocrisy shines brighter.

And I am a big fan of SM the poster

Essence.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:48 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I am not claiming dems have the advantage at all. I thought that was clear.

I havent seen much cover. If you mean Silence = cover, then that's fair. Ogie's original statement seemed to indicate they were defending him.

As far as two sets of standards...

There is this
viewtopic.php?p=2858634#p2858634

And I dont see much criticism aimed at R's that have been silent on Moore. Perhaps I missed that.

So to me, it seems like people are criticizing the actual defense (virgin mary, alabamans are too stupid to know better, etc) of Moore with the silence on Franken.

I think defending is worse than silence in this case.

Well, it also seems like you're conflating idiots on a message board with official statements by reporters and politicians. I don't think we need to mix in SuperMario's thoughts with Mitch McConnells.

But I don't see anyone of any merit defending Moore. We can find the idiot who said the virgin mary comment or the moron who wrote that Federalist article, but it's just as easy to find shitheads defending Franken on the internet. I think we should limit it to people who actually matter, otherwise we can get this thread to 100 pages pretty easily just by finding crazy people who have said outrageous shit one way or the other about it.

Also, the "People from Alabama are too stupid to know better" comment isn't wrong. Moore's support among women increased the most of any demographic after the allegations went public.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:48 pm 

Yes quite a pickle.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:49 pm 

Haven’t read the whole thread, but the politics are also very different. Franken gets replaced with another dem—no harm done to the party. Moore withdraws and the seat likely flips from R to D.

That’s why R’s aren’t coming out even stronger against Moore—it’s about the seat, not the guy. Morally easy, politically difficult.

For the D’s, it seems throwing Franken under the bus should be easy both politically and morally.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:50 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
SuperMario wrote:
It's because the liberal cause is so important to them that they would rather passively excuse a piece of shit because his politics are more important. The old "do what I say not what I do" mantra. Not to say that the right has not done this too, but leftists, especially extreme progressive leftists, feel the cause is too big to let one or two people get in the way...or in this case get out of the way.

It's like the Chappelle Show sketch with the blind, white black supremacist. When the reporter asks his friend why he doesn't tell him or expose that he's black, his answer is that he's too important to the cause. That's Franken.

The Franken defenders are bad, but people have literally said they would still vote for Moore even if all the child molestation stories are true. That is some scary shit.

And Moore likely wins by double digits in a couple weeks. What's your point?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:58 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
pittmike wrote:
Pretty sure he couldn't since today is not a Tuesday.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:58 am 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
So we had a family member pass away recently. We were cleaning stuff out of their house. This family member was a bad hoarder and a wacky liberal - bad combo. They had a ton of mail they had not opened - a lot from various leftist political organizations. But I almost died laughing when I saw some mail correspondence from

"Al Franken's Midwest Values Pac"

If that's not the most ironic PAC, I don't know what is. I tried to upload a photo to the site, but I don't know how to upload photos from non websites.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:18 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
How about those who are calling for Franken to resign being silent about our harasser-in-chief?

He has 17 accusers and got elected to be president. No one calling for his resignation?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:44 am 

Killer V wrote:
How about those who are calling for Franken to resign being silent about our harasser-in-chief?

He has 17 accusers and got elected to be president. No one calling for his resignation?

well to be fair, we as a country agreed that POTUS's are above the law in regards to those accusations 20 years ago. Why do you think Hillary couldn't press Trump on that issue? Any other Dem would've been in a position to more or less perform a killshot on Trump's campaign after Access Hollywood, but she had spent the entire 1990s calling her husband's accusers bimbos and liars.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
The Congressional Office of Compliance secretly paid close to $100,000 in taxpayer funds to settle sexual harassment claims from at least two young male staffers who worked for disgraced former Congressman Eric Massa, multiple sources with direct knowledge of the matter told ABC News.

Great use of taxpayer money!!!! Can't wait until more congressmen are accused.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:37 pm 

Franken is going to try to weasel his way out of this one, it appears:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles ... non-denial

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Do you think cupping a woman's ass is a capital crime? Or is it something that- if it is really so disturbing- we should expect an adult to respond to with, "Hey man! What the fuck are you doing?" at the time it occurred?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Do you think cupping a woman's ass is a capital crime? Or is it something that- if it is really so disturbing- we should expect an adult to respond to with, "Hey man! What the fuck are you doing?" at the time it occurred?

This has been my argument all along but I always get: the "power dynamic" prevented them from saying anything. I can't wrap my brain around it personally.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

From that post alone, I have a feeling we agree more than we disagree on this whole issue.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:21 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Hatchetman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

This has been my argument all along but I always get: the "power dynamic" prevented them from saying anything. I can't wrap my brain around it personally.

And that may be a legitimate argument when you're a 23 year old page and Matt Lauer is pinching your ass, but it really doesn't apply to taking a photo with a goofy senator at a state fair.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

And that may be a legitimate argument when you're a 23 year old page and Matt Lauer is pinching your ass, but it really doesn't apply to taking a photo with a goofy senator at a state fair.

Some people lack the assertiveness to respond to aggressiveness (or forwardness, if aggressiveness is too harsh a term) in such a way, though. Maybe it is a cultural thing (ie., women and young people are voiceless), but probably more of a psychological trait. Theoretically, you'd learn coping skills (how to become assertive when you need to be) along the way, but that obviously doesn't happen to everyone.

In short, I can see how the "power dynamic" argument might be valid, but not really for the reasons those people suggest.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:29 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
I could see there being a bit of a state of shock in which you get frozen. "Did a senator just grab my ass?"

Your first inclination is to probably explain it away, that you misinterpreted what was happening.

Upon further review, it turns to "That senator grabbed my ass!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next