pizza_Place: John's
Another derailment..Jesus...

Post subject: Re: Amtrack
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:06 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Caller Bob wrote:

I asked Jesus, he had nothing to do with it.

And Amtrak is usually, if not always, traveling on tracks maintained by other railroads.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Seacrest wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

And Amtrak is usually, if not always, traveling on tracks maintained by other railroads.

Yup. Except Union Station here , they own and maintain those garbage tracks

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:15 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
badrogue17 wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Yup. Except Union Station here , they own and maintain those garbage tracks

I knew they maintained those, but wasn't sure about any other situations like that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:37 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Clearly a woman engineer.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Just privatize it already.

The cocksuckers just wasted nearly $600 million reconstructing these tracks so that the new "high speed" train (which runs at 79 mph) could operate.

Fuck Amtrak, if you privatized it the routes that matter (and are actually used by people) would still function. The long distance routes (which are a waste) would cease to operate and nothing of value would be lost.

Correction $800 million of your tax dollars wasted on this shit. http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Rail/Projects.htm Today was literally the inaugural run

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
79mph isn't even fast. I read about a Milwaukee Road Hiawatha blasting a car at Grand Ave in Elmwood going 80+ back in the 40s or something. you know a steam train. Choo Choo. Wonder if Jimmy remembers that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:06 pm 

We were visiting family in Boston for a week and we wanted to shoot down to New York for a day and checked Amtrack rates. They were horrific. It was cheaper to buy a ticket from Logan to JFK, I shit you not.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:07 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
We were visiting family in Boston for a week and we wanted to shoot down to New York for a day and checked Amtrack rates. They were horrific. It was cheaper to buy a ticket from Logan to JFK, I shit you not.

Those are your rates with government subsidies too. Seriously, fuck Amtrak. It's a fucking pork project scam.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:09 pm 

I spent 2X what it was cost via air to take the Chunnel. Would do it again.

#CHOWITRAILS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:10 pm 

pizza_Place: maciano's
realDonaldTrump wrote:
@: The train accident that just occurred in DuPont, WA shows more than ever why our soon to be submitted infrastructure plan must be approved quickly. Seven trillion dollars spent in the Middle East while our roads, bridges, tunnels, railways (and more) crumble! Not for long!

Ummm, yeah. The derailment occurred on a section of track that opened today.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:10 pm 

TurdFerguson wrote:
realDonaldTrump wrote:
@: The train accident that just occurred in DuPont, WA shows more than ever why our soon to be submitted infrastructure plan must be approved quickly. Seven trillion dollars spent in the Middle East while our roads, bridges, tunnels, railways (and more) crumble! Not for long!

he's an idiot.

What's funny is people on the left are also blaming this on the lack of infrastructure spending. Dumbasses on both sides.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Caller Bob wrote:

I thought you East Coast snobs knew how to spell? smh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:13 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
realDonaldTrump wrote:

he's an idiot.

What's funny is people on the left are also blaming this on the lack of infrastructure spending. Dumbasses on both sides.

Let's never loss sight of this. Contempt for Trump does not equate to a like of Hillary. They both should spend quality time in North Korea with Dear Leader.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:13 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
realDonaldTrump wrote:

he's an idiot.

Reliable high-speed rail would be a blessing for this country--until the terrorists fuck that up, too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:15 pm 

tommy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
realDonaldTrump wrote:

he's an idiot.

Reliable high-speed rail would be a blessing for this country--until the terrorists fuck that up, too.

high speed rail is useless in this country with the exception of the NE corridor as any other region has the large cities spaced at such a distance that air travel will always be the better option.

Heck, they can't even build the high speed rail they want on the NE corridor as they don't have enough land to do so and the price of that land makes it too expensive to ever build. They would have to basically do the types of teardowns you saw in the 50s when highways like the Dan Ryan were built, and that's not happening in 2017 with property values where they are.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:17 pm 

Even in Europe where it is supposedly a success, it really isn't when you break down the real costs of building it and take away the subsidies. There is a reason low fair air travel truly took hold in Europe and is so dominant there. intercity rail as a mass transit idea really should be kept in the 19th/early 20th centuries where it belongs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
if Amtrack advertises high speed rail at 80 mph, they effectively certify that the tracks can handle that speed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:19 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
if Amtrack advertises high speed rail at 80 mph, they effectively certify that the tracks can handle that speed.

They literally just wasted nearly a billion dollars rebuilding this track with concrete ties so that it could handle this speed. Oops

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:20 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Even in Europe where it is supposedly a success, it really isn't when you break down the real costs of building it and take away the subsidies. There is a reason low fair air travel truly took hold in Europe and is so dominant there. intercity rail as a mass transit idea really should be kept in the 19th/early 20th centuries where it belongs.

Eff that. I want to actually see the country. And I want more Chunnels.

Seriously, though, I like to travel by train; what's more, my son is autistic and can't fly, so it limits us. But a long trip via Amtrak is cost prohibitive.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:21 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:

Jesus says, "not my fault..." :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:22 pm 

tommy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Seriously, though, I like to travel by train, but my son is autistic and can't fly, so it limits us. But a long trip via Amtrak is cost prohibitive.

Have you got a 2nd opinion on this from IMU?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:22 pm 

tommy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Seriously, though, I like to travel by train, but my son is autistic and can't fly, so it limits us. But a long trip via Amtrak is cost prohibitive.

Have you got a 2nd opinion on this from IMU?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:23 pm 

tommy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Seriously, though, I like to travel by train; what's more, my son is autistic and can't fly, so it limits us. But a long trip via Amtrak is cost prohibitive.

That long trip via Amtrak is with subsidies. I read on a Brookings Institute report that on a train like the Autotrain, it is about $100 per passenger, which is subsidized. that's an insane cost for a poor method of transit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:25 pm 

Oak Park subsidized Divvys $17 per ride.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:27 pm 

Completely useless. High speed rail just doesn't work here most places you are traveling to still require a car on arrival. I can drive in more comfort than a train and likely make better time with more a direct path.

Talk to me when its reliable and 250MPH. Then it may be worth the added frustrations.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:30 pm 

Hello airplanes? Yeah, it's trains, you win!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq-N3_plNq8

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

They literally just wasted nearly a billion dollars rebuilding this track with concrete ties so that it could handle this speed. Oops

they tried concrete ties out here in the sticks, only to find that in lower lying areas, water screwed up the cement ties over the course of just two years. They had to come back out, take out the entire north side tracks and put wood ties back in. The cement ties in some places had literally disintegrated.

So great research, Amtrak. Next time talk to Union Pacific first.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:31 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

they tried concrete ties out here in the sticks, only to find that in lower lying areas, water screwed up the cement ties over the course of just two years. They had to come back out, take out the entire north side tracks and put wood ties back in. The cement ties in some places had literally disintegrated.

So great research, Amtrak. Next time talk to Union Pacific first.
yes, but government knows best :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:56 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
When the Chicago to St. Louis railroad was being torn up and replaced to accommodate high-speed rail, Amtrak dropped ticket prices to next to nothing and put you on a bus from either Bloomington or Springfield on down. The bus was faster than the train was, the only downside was I didn't have an outlet to plug in my laptop and watch Simpsons DVDs.

Amtrak is a mess, but I can't condemn the entirety of rail travel because I'm an autistic freak and I am required by international law to be obsessed with trains. I'm not too bullish on intercity rail, which sounds like a nightmare, but they should concentrate on making travel in the Northeast Corridor and routes to major cities around Chicago pleasant, convenient, and affordable. I mean, flying to St. Louis, that's just silly.