It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Net Neutrality
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:58 am 

This may be the worst anti-consumer government maneuver in decades. I can't believe they are getting away with this. The internet is one of the great innovations of our time and our government, mostly Republicans, are willing to let corporations bastardize the whole thing with hilarious promises like it will result in more innovation and investment in infrastructure. I would hope that it is partially because our politicians are old and out of touch on technology to the point where it is more ignorance than it is actually working against the good of 99% of the country. Internet should be treated like a utility and public good and these type of rules that allow our internet service to be segmented and sold should be gone.

https://www.battleforthenet.com/

Post subject: Re: Net Neutrality
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
kill the internet
dismantle social media
turn back the clock
enjoy humanity

liberate me from my addiction please please please president Trump.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
It's most unfortunate that this is one of those rare decisions that will affect (read: fuck) every regular person in the country, and yet nobody really cares, and also I don't know what can be done short of some mass uprising that will halt it now or rectify it in future.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
https://twitter.com/KarlBode/status/932287102854742016

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:20 am 

America wrote:
kill the internet
dismantle social media
turn back the clock
enjoy humanity

Just skip all of this and kill yourself. The internet will be much better.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:21 am 

Douchebag wrote:
America wrote:
kill the internet
dismantle social media
turn back the clock
enjoy humanity

Just skip all of this and kill yourself. The internet will be much better.

You misspelled 'world'.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:29 am 

The republican march against the spread of information and the common man continues unabated.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:31 am 

America wrote:
kill the internet
dismantle social media
turn back the clock
enjoy humanity

liberate me from my addiction please please please president Trump.

Another member of the personal responsibility crowd needing someone else to do something he again won't do for himself.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:32 am 

This is a nice quick video that explains that "Net Neutrality" is ... and it's not some reactionary video ... it was posted May 2014.

About three and a half minutes, and it's cartoony, not some dull person orating at a podium or something like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtt2aSV8wdw

Last edited by Don Tiny on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:36 am 

You know how everyone loves Comcast? Well, let's give them the ability to slow down your internet speeds for certain sites unless you or the company pays them for the right to deliver content at higher than dial up speeds! We will do this because Comcast will clearly use all of the added money for upgrades for service!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:40 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
You know how everyone loves Comcast? Well, let's give them the ability to slow down your internet speeds for certain sites unless you or the company pays them for the right to deliver content at higher than dial up speeds! We will do this because Comcast will clearly use all of the added money for upgrades for service!

What bugs me is Google and Amazon and Netflix - as far as I know - aren't going balls-out to put people on to what's going on. Do they think it's fait accompli? Are they on the dole? Who knows.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:47 am 

https://www.freepress.net/blog/2017/04/25/net-neutrality-violations-brief-history

MADISON RIVER: In 2005, North Carolina ISP Madison River Communications blocked the voice-over-internet protocol (VOIP) service Vonage. Vonage filed a complaint with the FCC after receiving a slew of customer complaints. The FCC stepped in to sanction Madison River and prevent further blocking, but it lacks the authority to stop this kind of abuse today.

COMCAST: In 2005, the nation’s largest ISP, Comcast, began secretly blocking peer-to-peer technologies that its customers were using over its network. Users of services like BitTorrent and Gnutella were unable to connect to these services. 2007 investigations from the Associated Press, the Electronic Frontier Foundation and others confirmed that Comcast was indeed blocking or slowing file-sharing applications without disclosing this fact to its customers.

TELUS: In 2005, Canada’s second-largest telecommunications company, Telus, began blocking access to a server that hosted a website supporting a labor strike against the company. Researchers at Harvard and the University of Toronto found that this action resulted in Telus blocking an additional 766 unrelated sites.

AT&T: From 2007–2009, AT&T forced Apple to block Skype and other competing VOIP phone services on the iPhone. The wireless provider wanted to prevent iPhone users from using any application that would allow them to make calls on such “over-the-top” voice services. The Google Voice app received similar treatment from carriers like AT&T when it came on the scene in 2009.

WINDSTREAM: In 2010, Windstream Communications, a DSL provider with more than 1 million customers at the time, copped to hijacking user-search queries made using the Google toolbar within Firefox. Users who believed they had set the browser to the search engine of their choice were redirected to Windstream’s own search portal and results.

MetroPCS: In 2011, MetroPCS, at the time one of the top-five U.S. wireless carriers, announced plans to block streaming video over its 4G network from all sources except YouTube. MetroPCS then threw its weight behind Verizon’s court challenge against the FCC’s 2010 open internet ruling, hoping that rejection of the agency’s authority would allow the company to continue its anti-consumer practices.

PAXFIRE: In 2011, the Electronic Frontier Foundation found that several small ISPs were redirecting search queries via the vendor Paxfire. The ISPs identified in the initial Electronic Frontier Foundation report included Cavalier, Cogent, Frontier, Fuse, DirecPC, RCN and Wide Open West. Paxfire would intercept a person’s search request at Bing and Yahoo and redirect it to another page. By skipping over the search service’s results, the participating ISPs would collect referral fees for delivering users to select websites.

AT&T, SPRINT and VERIZON: From 2011–2013, AT&T, Sprint and Verizon blocked Google Wallet, a mobile-payment system that competed with a similar service called Isis, which all three companies had a stake in developing.

EUROPE: A 2012 report from the Body of European Regulators for Electronic Communications found that violations of Net Neutrality affected at least one in five users in Europe. The report found that blocked or slowed connections to services like VOIP, peer-to-peer technologies, gaming applications and email were commonplace.

VERIZON: In 2012, the FCC caught Verizon Wireless blocking people from using tethering applications on their phones. Verizon had asked Google to remove 11 free tethering applications from the Android marketplace. These applications allowed users to circumvent Verizon’s $20 tethering fee and turn their smartphones into Wi-Fi hot spots. By blocking those applications, Verizon violated a Net Neutrality pledge it made to the FCC as a condition of the 2008 airwaves auction.

AT&T: In 2012, AT&T announced that it would disable the FaceTime video-calling app on its customers’ iPhones unless they subscribed to a more expensive text-and-voice plan. AT&T had one goal in mind: separating customers from more of their money by blocking alternatives to AT&T’s own products.

VERIZON: During oral arguments in Verizon v. FCC in 2013, judges asked whether the phone giant would favor some preferred services, content or sites over others if the court overruled the agency’s existing open internet rules. Verizon counsel Helgi Walker had this to say: “I’m authorized to state from my client today that but for these rules we would be exploring those types of arrangements.” Walker’s admission might have gone unnoticed had she not repeated it on at least five separate occasions during arguments.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:48 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Don Tiny wrote:
https://www.freepress.net/blog/2017/04/25/net-neutrality-violations-brief-history

MADISON RIVER: In 2005, North Carolina ISP Madison River Communications blocked the voice-over-internet protocol (VOIP) service Vonage. Vonage filed a complaint with the FCC after receiving a slew of customer complaints. The FCC stepped in to sanction Madison River and prevent further blocking, but it lacks the authority to stop this kind of abuse today.

COMCAST: In 2005, the nation’s largest ISP, Comcast, began secretly blocking peer-to-peer technologies that its customers were using over its network. Users of services like BitTorrent and Gnutella were unable to connect to these services. 2007 investigations from the Associated Press, the Electronic Frontier Foundation and others confirmed that Comcast was indeed blocking or slowing file-sharing applications without disclosing this fact to its customers.

TELUS: In 2005, Canada’s second-largest telecommunications company, Telus, began blocking access to a server that hosted a website supporting a labor strike against the company. Researchers at Harvard and the University of Toronto found that this action resulted in Telus blocking an additional 766 unrelated sites.

AT&T: From 2007–2009, AT&T forced Apple to block Skype and other competing VOIP phone services on the iPhone. The wireless provider wanted to prevent iPhone users from using any application that would allow them to make calls on such “over-the-top” voice services. The Google Voice app received similar treatment from carriers like AT&T when it came on the scene in 2009.

WINDSTREAM: In 2010, Windstream Communications, a DSL provider with more than 1 million customers at the time, copped to hijacking user-search queries made using the Google toolbar within Firefox. Users who believed they had set the browser to the search engine of their choice were redirected to Windstream’s own search portal and results.

MetroPCS: In 2011, MetroPCS, at the time one of the top-five U.S. wireless carriers, announced plans to block streaming video over its 4G network from all sources except YouTube. MetroPCS then threw its weight behind Verizon’s court challenge against the FCC’s 2010 open internet ruling, hoping that rejection of the agency’s authority would allow the company to continue its anti-consumer practices.

PAXFIRE: In 2011, the Electronic Frontier Foundation found that several small ISPs were redirecting search queries via the vendor Paxfire. The ISPs identified in the initial Electronic Frontier Foundation report included Cavalier, Cogent, Frontier, Fuse, DirecPC, RCN and Wide Open West. Paxfire would intercept a person’s search request at Bing and Yahoo and redirect it to another page. By skipping over the search service’s results, the participating ISPs would collect referral fees for delivering users to select websites.

AT&T, SPRINT and VERIZON: From 2011–2013, AT&T, Sprint and Verizon blocked Google Wallet, a mobile-payment system that competed with a similar service called Isis, which all three companies had a stake in developing.

EUROPE: A 2012 report from the Body of European Regulators for Electronic Communications found that violations of Net Neutrality affected at least one in five users in Europe. The report found that blocked or slowed connections to services like VOIP, peer-to-peer technologies, gaming applications and email were commonplace.

VERIZON: In 2012, the FCC caught Verizon Wireless blocking people from using tethering applications on their phones. Verizon had asked Google to remove 11 free tethering applications from the Android marketplace. These applications allowed users to circumvent Verizon’s $20 tethering fee and turn their smartphones into Wi-Fi hot spots. By blocking those applications, Verizon violated a Net Neutrality pledge it made to the FCC as a condition of the 2008 airwaves auction.

AT&T: In 2012, AT&T announced that it would disable the FaceTime video-calling app on its customers’ iPhones unless they subscribed to a more expensive text-and-voice plan. AT&T had one goal in mind: separating customers from more of their money by blocking alternatives to AT&T’s own products.

VERIZON: During oral arguments in Verizon v. FCC in 2013, judges asked whether the phone giant would favor some preferred services, content or sites over others if the court overruled the agency’s existing open internet rules. Verizon counsel Helgi Walker had this to say: “I’m authorized to state from my client today that but for these rules we would be exploring those types of arrangements.” Walker’s admission might have gone unnoticed had she not repeated it on at least five separate occasions during arguments.
:D

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:48 am 

Don Tiny wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

What bugs me is Google and Amazon and Netflix - as far as I know - aren't going balls-out to put people on to what's going on. Do they think it's fait accompli? Are they on the dole? Who knows.
The cable companies are trying to make it seem like those guys are "stealing" from them by profiting so it's a little hard for them to fight it strongly without helping with that idea.

I do think what Bagels posted is right on and they'll be fighting heavily once it goes to Congress on this.

The only really decent option here is for this to be a massive failure and have it annoy people so much that the way it always has been is what we get.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:51 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Even if this passes, it feels like it would create another industry for Elon Musk to fuck over. With spacex's competitive advantage launching satellites, we can't be that far away from a reliable satellite based internet system.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:54 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

The cable companies are trying to make it seem like those guys are "stealing" from them by profiting so it's a little hard for them to fight it strongly without helping with that idea.

I do think what Bagels posted is right on and they'll be fighting heavily once it goes to Congress on this.

The only really decent option here is for this to be a massive failure and have it annoy people so much that the way it always has been is what we get.

But see, this isn't the first time this appalling circus act has gone on ... every few months some asswipes trot this shit out there and then there's enough "rabble rabble rabble" that they table it until the next time. It seems to MANY that this time they might actually get a bit of traction ... and Bagels' guy might well be on to something - but that's still good enough for the few sonsabitches that would get to fly the W from all of this.

What we need are 3D-printable guillotines.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Don Tiny wrote:
What we need are 3D-printable guillotines.

what happens when you get between a man and his porn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Don Tiny wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Those are the companies that would benefit. It is easy for them to pay whatever they need to to ISP's. It is the small, indie, startup, "next big thing" sites that will struggle.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:11 am 

IMU wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Those are the companies that would benefit. It is easy for them to pay whatever they need to to ISP's. It is the small, indie, startup, "next big thing" sites that will struggle.

Sure, they could see some degree of benefit from that, but I would believe they're not going to be particularly concerned about that anytime soon and they're doing fabulously well without having to pay 'tribute' to ISPs.

And who is going to supplant Amazon anytime soon? I don't really see the US embracing Alibaba.

'Google' is like 'Kleenex' or 'Jello' ... even if some re-re is using 'Ask Jeeves' it's likely they're saying "I'll Google that".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
i think its sky is falling warblegarbling.

as one who works in the network security field specializing in web filtering and domain control, internet and webpage infrastructure would require a complete overhaul for the pay to play type world people are creating.

accessing cnn.com requires connecting to 60+ unique IP's and 30+ domains. all those IP's and Domains also house data from hundreds of different websites. The only thing distiguishing between the 2 being 1 character in a string.

you can't even throttle bandwidth effectively as most traffic now travels over SSL/HTTPS. so protocol throttling by domain is ineffective because of the above web construction example.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
hnd wrote:

as one who works in the network security field specializing in web filtering and domain control, internet and webpage infrastructure would require a complete overhaul for the pay to play type world people are creating.

accessing cnn.com requires connecting to 60+ unique IP's and 30+ domains. all those IP's and Domains also house data from hundreds of different websites. The only thing distiguishing between the 2 being 1 character in a string.

you can't even throttle bandwidth effectively as most traffic now travels over SSL/HTTPS. so protocol throttling by domain is ineffective because of the above web construction example.

So the end of the story will be what?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:06 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
i think some marginal control is necessary. i believe no net neurtrality will create stupid backdoor deals that help no one in reality. I think there will be a war between the information creators vs the information deliverers. Who knows who wins out.

for isp's its not about this site or that site based on content, its this site or that site based on bandwidth. streaming content is the winner here. when my isp makes a an exclusive deal with hulu and prioritizes hulu traffic over netflix traffic (very hard to do considering both utilize akamai and amazon as their main content delivery sources) therefor everyone of their customers prefers hulu over netflix. I don't think thats good for the industry.

I'm surprised that internet is not yet considered a utility to the point where you pay per bit. if its such a commodity like electricity or natural gas when it will become priced as such.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I’m not sure of the financial arrangement, but I was surprised a couple of months ago when you could stream Netflix through your Comcast cable box—no internet connection necessary. (Still must subscribe to Netflix).

Is Comcast paying Netflix to keep people from cord cutting? Or, does Netflix pay Comcast because they are now available on more devices? Either way, they’re in bed together.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Mark Cuban seems to be making arguments in favor of it. He’s been ranting on Twitter all day. Something about if we leave things as they are, Donald Trump will be running the internet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:31 pm 

hnd wrote:

You are wrong. There is a reason the internet service providers are fighting so hard for this. They know what can be done when billions are available in fees from users and content providers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:39 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Mark Cuban seems to be making arguments in favor of it. He’s been ranting on Twitter all day. Something about if we leave things as they are, Donald Trump will be running the internet.

His thoughts are bizarre on this. His major point seems to be that things aren't bad now and we don't need more regulation when all people want is the same thing we've had for decades which is net neutrality.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:01 pm 

pizza_Place: ....
Don't believe the BS.

"Net Neutrality" is not what you think it is.

More Shady Soros shit.

Quote:
WASHINGTON, D.C. – This Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving, FCC Chairman Ajit V. Pai is expected to circulate to his fellow commissioners and make public a draft of a new FCC order widely anticipated to eliminate the “Net Neutrality” rules put in place under the Obama administration.

The full commission is scheduled to vote on Pai’s draft order at its Dec. 14th meeting, and again, the FCC is expected on that date to ratify Pai’s draft order.

By making the order to repeal “Net Neutrality” public in advance of the vote, Chairman Pai has instituted a new transparency initiative at the FCC that reverses the policy of the previous chairman, Obama administration FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler who typically refused to make draft orders public prior to the full FCC commission final vote.

Left floods FCC with fake comments

What is clear from an examination of the public comments from the political left supporting the retention of the Obama “Net Neutrality” rules have flooded the FCC comment space with “Bot-generated,” often foreign-sourced, comments that have generated unrelated, racist, and even violent remarks in high volume.

On July 13, 2017, Infowars.com reported that a coalition formed by George Soros, including Internet giants Google, Facebook, Amazon, as well as the salacious extreme-and-abusive-sex website PornHub, had flooded the FCC with thousands of “citizen comments,” coming from Russia, of all places, opposing the FCC’s planned repeal of the Obama-era “Net Neutrality” rules.

A study by Washington, D.C. information specialist Emprata demonstrated that more than 7.5 million comments opposing the repeal of “Net Neutrality” rules – the largest percentage of comments on any FCC topic, fully 36 percent of all FCC comments – “appear to have been generated by self-described” and “disposable” email domains attributed to FakeMailGenerator.com and with nearly identical language.”

Adjusting the 13 million total comments who opposed repealing “Net Neutrality” rules for “Bot-generated” fake comments, Emprata found the legitimate comments supporting Pai’s move to repeal “Net Neutrality” beat the legitimate comments wanting to keep the Obama-era rules by 61 percent favoring the repeal of Title II Internet governance, versus 38 percent wanting to maintain the “Net Neutrality” rules that would retain Title II governance of the Internet as a telecommunications utility.

Among the 7.5 million unverifiable comments in support of the Obama rules, an unusually large number, 1.72 million, were attributed to foreign addresses that Emprata could not verify, with the vast majority of those comments (99.4 percent) opposed to repealing Title II.

Emprata found the largest number of foreign comments supporting the Obama-era rules came from Russia, followed by Germany, France, India, and Canada.

Obama-era “Net Neutrality” allow Google, Facebook, Twitter censorship

Those arguing for the repeal of the Obama-era “Net Neutrality” rules argue Pai’s campaign to end Title II regulation of the Internet is a “noble cause” – a move that does not “kill net neutrality,” but rather reverses the unprecedented power grab of the Obama-era FCC in conjunction with the tech left forces in Silicon Valley, Soros’s Open Society Foundation, and the Ford Foundation.

Trump supporters backing Pai note the Internet’s growth, explosive innovation, and flow of free expression occurred free from public utility regulation.

Ironically, since the 2015 rules were put in place, instances of blocking and censoring have only occurred at a rapid pace on platforms owned by Facebook, Google, and Twitter, which all lobbied hard for the 2015 “Net Neutrality” rules, which were carefully crafted so as to not touch those companies.

Infowars.com has previously documented Google, together with George Soros’ Open Society Institution and the Ford Foundation have spent more than $72 million dollars to non-profit leftist organizations that have been the most active in promoting the idea that the Internet needs to be regulated by the government as a “common carrier” public utility under the Communications Act – the same regulatory framework crafted decades ago to regulate the old rotary phone system.

Infowars.com has previously warned that Google and the largest communications giants on the Internet lobbied the federal government to define broadband under these 1930s-style regulations – a designation that would allow the government to regulate more rigorously the broadband providers that built the core network connecting users to the Internet as “common carriers.”

By design, this exempts content monopolies like Google and Facebook from the strict regulations the FCC would apply to common carriers – a scheme that would allow Google, Facebook, and the other Internet portal giants to censor conservatives as “fake news,” while demanding that “common carriers” like AT&T and Verizon have no choice but to carry their censored content.

The implementation of these 2015 Obama-era “Net neutrality” regulations, which were heavily pushed by Google in hundreds of closed-door meetings at the Obama White House, carved out Google and the other Silicon Valley behemoths and secured their position as absolute information gatekeepers.

Since these 2015 regulations passed, Internet giant portals like Google, Facebook, and Twitter have moved to become the judge, jury, and executioner of the contact we read on the Internet, under the guise of eliminating “fake news.”

https://www.infowars.com/fcc-to-free-in ... ity-rules/

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:07 pm 

Net neutrality was not Obama. It was from the very start of the world wide web.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Net neutrality was not Obama. It was from the very start of the world wide web.

Nope.

OBAMA.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:25 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Obama and Soros.