It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project Veritas
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:08 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
I agree with the general sentiment in this thread. This partisan organization that fabricates stories and attempts to entrap reporters is just about as bad as the mainstream media. I'm glad we have people here with the courage to stand up to both sides.

:lol: Do you really not recognize how absurdly biased you are yourself? And are you suggesting that CNN and MSNBC and Facebook and Youtube and Twitter aren't partisan organizations?

very. too MANY libruls. must destroy

The median age of liberals vs conservatives kinda makes the "get rid of libs" idea a weird one.

Unless, murder is in the cards. Murdering them would work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:09 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Have we reached the point where the first thing that we as a nation check for is bias with respect to news? I think that MANY are more concerned with detecting bias than they are with uncovering the truth.

:lol: Don't you think bias might be an obstacle to getting the truth?

When you and I were much younger, news broadcasts were loss leaders, newspapers, although dying, still had some integrity. The Brookings Institution was really the only "think tank" (moderate) and intelligence was something sought after and not scorned.

But the Powell memo and Roger Ailes figuring out how to make money from the Coors & Koch families started to change all of that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:11 pm 

America wrote:
yea one side is biased for western civilization and the other is biased against it. this is hardly a case of there being two equally bad or good sides. this isn't turd sandwich vs giant douche.

if you side with the left, or whatever part of their PR machine in media or academia you choose to reference directly, you are siding against everything that has brought us to where we are now. islam, communism, anarchy...we know how these ideologies end. we know what happens to communist countries. we know what happens when there are no police. we know what happens when islam is allowed to grow. the case studies surround us in our world today and in history have almost no deviation. the outcomes are always ALWAYS bad.

i'm pretty far to the left economically and i have had to suspend that because this fight is just bigger than what you feel about eduction or taxes or foriegn policy. its an ideological struggle for what happens next to north america, europe and oceania. to sit it out and pretend its still 2005 when the parties are indistinguishable blobs is naive.

So, if you are against communism, radical muslims and anarchy, the only choice is to support Donald Trump?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
rogers park bryan wrote:
America wrote:
yea one side is biased for western civilization and the other is biased against it. this is hardly a case of there being two equally bad or good sides. this isn't turd sandwich vs giant douche.

if you side with the left, or whatever part of their PR machine in media or academia you choose to reference directly, you are siding against everything that has brought us to where we are now. islam, communism, anarchy...we know how these ideologies end. we know what happens to communist countries. we know what happens when there are no police. we know what happens when islam is allowed to grow. the case studies surround us in our world today and in history have almost no deviation. the outcomes are always ALWAYS bad.

i'm pretty far to the left economically and i have had to suspend that because this fight is just bigger than what you feel about eduction or taxes or foriegn policy. its an ideological struggle for what happens next to north america, europe and oceania. to sit it out and pretend its still 2005 when the parties are indistinguishable blobs is naive.

So, if you are against communism, radical muslims and anarchy, the only choice is to support Donald Trump?

and then when he was elected he fled the country. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Did I call you a name? I don't think so. And I'm certainly not "playing a victim". I'm pointing out obvious bias in news coverage and you don't want to hear it because it's bias you agree with.
:roll: Oh, I guess you're not "immediately being called a Trumpist" by others here when you draw false equivalence after false equivalence but instead are merely being told that you come off as one. Really big difference there.

Quote:
And let's not pretend here. You certainly don't "hate" Hillary Clinton more than you hate Donald Trump or anyone else with an (R) next to his name.

But of course I've never denied hating Trump more. I can think Hillary was a shit candidate with a shit ideology while also thinking Trump presents a greater threat to civilization, just like I can think the Jeff Bezos Post is a shit newspaper while also thinking it's nowhere close to the equivalent of Project Veritas and that efforts to paint them with the same brush are disingenuous.

BTW, bringing up Hillary when there was nothing about her in this thread is a sign of Trumpism. I wouldn't want anyone to say you come off as something.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:17 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
General rule of thumb, but when examining stories, look at both a slightly left and a slightly right source to get the full truth. A good example would be to say that you should read both the NYT and WSJ if you are looking into a story as where those 2 intersect in their pieces covering a news story will be the truth.

I read New York magazine every month. Of course it wears its bias on its sleeve. I mean, New York is far more biased than Fox News. Here's a funny one: in a piece about the "rehabilitation" of the Bushes ( :lol: ) it says that "like Trump, George W. Bush came to the White House unprepared." W held executive office as the governor of Texas. The most woefully unprepared president in history was objectively Barack Obama. You'd never read that in New York though.

Was being the keyword. He lost that title recently.

Ill have to check out New York. I cant imagine anything being FAR more biased than FoxNews but we'll see.

nah, there are some sites on the left far more biased than Fox News. Salon, Mother Jones, etc.

As for Fox News, there really are 2 Fox News's to look at. There is the Fox News which actually handles news. That would be Chris Wallace, Bret Baier, and Shepherd Smith. Heck, if you gave those 3 guys primetime shows in a network, it would be the best news on cable TV. They are pretty straight down the middle and actually would represent relatively unbiased news reporting. Their equivalent on CNN would be Jake Tapper. Then there is Fox's morning show and primetime trash which is Breitbart lite. Avoid that shit like the plague.

I really dont even count websites like Salon or Young Cons. Of course they are more biased but that's what they deal in.

The newsy version of FoxNews may as well not exist. As you said yourself, they put Breitbart lite in all the major time slots and squeeze in some Shep/Wallace integrity in the late morning and afternoon.

FoxNews is Hannity and Fox and Friends the same way MSNBC is Maddow.

Nothing on this planet is more biased than Sean Hannity.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
rogers park bryan wrote:
America wrote:

unfortunately yes. things just got too out of control around 2010-ish and until a year and a half ago very few people seemed to notice or even care. me included.

now we have to side with Donald Trump. I wish it didn't have to come to this but it does. you're lying to yourself if you dont think so.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:18 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
General rule of thumb, but when examining stories, look at both a slightly left and a slightly right source to get the full truth. A good example would be to say that you should read both the NYT and WSJ if you are looking into a story as where those 2 intersect in their pieces covering a news story will be the truth.

I read New York magazine every month. Of course it wears its bias on its sleeve. I mean, New York is far more biased than Fox News. Here's a funny one: in a piece about the "rehabilitation" of the Bushes ( :lol: ) it says that "like Trump, George W. Bush came to the White House unprepared." W held executive office as the governor of Texas. The most woefully unprepared president in history was objectively Barack Obama. You'd never read that in New York though.

Ill have to check out New York. I cant imagine anything being FAR more biased than FoxNews but we'll see.

nah, there are some sites on the left far more biased than Fox News. Salon, Mother Jones, etc.

As for Fox News, there really are 2 Fox News's to look at. There is the Fox News which actually handles news. That would be Chris Wallace, Bret Baier, and Shepherd Smith. Heck, if you gave those 3 guys primetime shows in a network, it would be the best news on cable TV. They are pretty straight down the middle and actually would represent relatively unbiased news reporting. Their equivalent on CNN would be Jake Tapper. Then there is Fox's morning show and primetime trash which is Breitbart lite. Avoid that shit like the plague.

I really dont even count websites like Salon or Young Cons. Of course they are more biased but that's what they deal in.

The newsy version of FoxNews may as well not exist. As you said yourself, they put Breitbart lite in all the major time slots and squeeze in some Shep/Wallace integrity in the late morning and afternoon.

I agree there is nothing worse than Hannity. However, I will ask, what is MSNBC's version of guys like Wallace, Baier, and Shep? I'd say they don't exist. CNN has Tapper (who may be the best thing going on US cable news)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:19 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Have we reached the point where the first thing that we as a nation check for is bias with respect to news? I think that MANY are more concerned with detecting bias than they are with uncovering the truth.

When you and I were much younger, news broadcasts were loss leaders, newspapers, although dying, still had some integrity. The Brookings Institution was really the only "think tank" (moderate) and intelligence was something sought after and not scorned.

But the Powell memo and Roger Ailes figuring out how to make money from the Coors & Koch families started to change all of that.

I think you are forgetting the famous republican Ted Turner was the one to monetize and explode "news".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
rogers park bryan wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
I agree with the general sentiment in this thread. This partisan organization that fabricates stories and attempts to entrap reporters is just about as bad as the mainstream media. I'm glad we have people here with the courage to stand up to both sides.

:lol: Do you really not recognize how absurdly biased you are yourself? And are you suggesting that CNN and MSNBC and Facebook and Youtube and Twitter aren't partisan organizations?

very. too MANY libruls. must destroy

The median age of liberals vs conservatives kinda makes the "get rid of libs" idea a weird one.

Unless, murder is in the cards. Murdering them would work.

America is doing his part to get rid of shitlibs. He moved to France.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:

It's hard to put a finger on exactly when each outlet began to espouse such defined political opinions. None of this stuff is new. Hearst started a war. But I think there was a golden age when the viewpoints were subordinate to the reporting. Sure the Tribune has always been a Conservative paper, but it offered liberal voices- and in fairness still does- too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
James O'Keefe unsuccessfully tries to get WaPo to bite on a fake story. And it is the shitlibs who are the problem? :lol:

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:26 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

As a result, half of this country takes Sean Hannity as gospel while the other half does the same with Maddow. Both are biased pieces of human excrement.

Odd take. Hannity has never strayed from the tea party line, never has asked a difficult question about the party line or misdeeds and boasts about his roles in campaigns. And then claims objectivity and an absence of bias. Which his viewers appear to accept.

Maddon acknowledges her political biases, gets extremely passionate about her show topics while always trying to document and objectively support her positions. She hasn't had to retract or apologize for egregious errors in fact like the other guy, at worst a bit embarrassed by getting used in the 2005 tax "release".

What brings her, in your estimation, a Hannity level piece of excrement?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

ZephMarshack wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Did I call you a name? I don't think so. And I'm certainly not "playing a victim". I'm pointing out obvious bias in news coverage and you don't want to hear it because it's bias you agree with.
:roll: Oh, I guess you're not "immediately being called a Trumpist" by others here when you draw false equivalence after false equivalence but instead are merely being told that you come off as one. Really big difference there.

Quote:
And let's not pretend here. You certainly don't "hate" Hillary Clinton more than you hate Donald Trump or anyone else with an (R) next to his name.

But of course I've never denied hating Trump more. I can think Hillary was a shit candidate with a shit ideology while also thinking Trump presents a greater threat to civilization, just like I can think the Jeff Bezos Post is a shit newspaper while also thinking it's nowhere close to the equivalent of Project Veritas and that efforts to paint them with the same brush are disingenuous.

BTW, bringing up Hillary when there was nothing about her in this thread is a sign of Trumpism. I wouldn't want anyone to say you come off as something.

I don't feel victimized. I'm just pointing out that it's false.

And what's disingenuous is the suggestion that Project Veritas, something most people have never even heard of, has influence anywhere near that of the Washington Post or New Your Times.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:30 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I think you are forgetting the famous republican Ted Turner was the one to monetize and explode "news".

CNN has made many mistakes over the years, but until trump saw the benefits of labelling them fake news, they were seen as the milquetoast, middle of the road news reading channel, even on this board.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:
And then claims objectivity and an absence of bias.

Does he really? I've never watched more than a few minutes of Hannity, but I find it difficult to believe that he could make such claims with a straight face.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:34 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

As a result, half of this country takes Sean Hannity as gospel while the other half does the same with Maddow. Both are biased pieces of human excrement.

Odd take. Hannity has never strayed from the tea party line, never has asked a difficult question about the party line or misdeeds and boasts about his roles in campaigns. And then claims objectivity and an absence of bias. Which his viewers appear to accept.

Maddon acknowledges her political biases, gets extremely passionate about her show topics while always trying to document and objectively support her positions. She hasn't had to retract or apologize for egregious errors in fact like the other guy, at worst a bit embarrassed by getting used in the 2005 tax "release".

Look no further than her embarrassment earlier this year with the tax return. She had the biggest primetime TV news flop since Geraldo went into Capone's vault. She literally is just as bad as Hannity when it comes to her biased crap she peddles. The only difference is she polishes her turds better than he does.

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:36 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Does he really? I've never watched more than a few minutes of Hannity, but I find it difficult to believe that he could make such claims with a straight face.

No one repeats the company lines about "fair and balanced " or "we report (the news) you decide" more than Hannity.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:40 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

I've never denied bias exists everywhere but that isn't close to sufficient to justify your tired "both sides do it!" shtick and continuous false equivalences.

The false equivalence is that Project Veritas is some marginal organization and millions of people actually get their news from John Oliver.

And of course there is bias everywhere, but you're an obvious advocate for a point of view. You don't really want to have a discussion. You come off as if you're Hillary Clinton's campaign manager.

I dont think that's true. You cant just throw Oliver in your old Daily Show statement. Not that many people have HBO.

Also, more people get their news from Sean Hannity and the Donald Trump produced Fox and Friends. That is FAAARRR worse by any measure.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

No one repeats the company lines about "fair and balanced " or "we report (the news) you decide" more than Hannity.

Well, I had this conversation with RPB awhile back. I don't think the Fox tagline of "fair and balanced" means that they are fair and balanced themselves, but rather that their existence gives fairness and balance to the media as a whole that was previously largely left leaning. I don't see how they could realistically argue that they aren't approaching the news from a particular viewpoint.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:42 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I agree there is nothing worse than Hannity. However, I will ask, what is MSNBC's version of guys like Wallace, Baier, and Shep? I'd say they don't exist. CNN has Tapper (who may be the best thing going on US cable news)

I literally haven't watched MSNBC other than on the tax return night and I had to search for the channel.

I dont feel like you have to choose either biased side MSNBC or Fox. There are so many options now.

As you suggested somewhere else, its best to sample from both sides and the truth is usually in the middle.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

I've never denied bias exists everywhere but that isn't close to sufficient to justify your tired "both sides do it!" shtick and continuous false equivalences.

The false equivalence is that Project Veritas is some marginal organization and millions of people actually get their news from John Oliver.

And of course there is bias everywhere, but you're an obvious advocate for a point of view. You don't really want to have a discussion. You come off as if you're Hillary Clinton's campaign manager.

I dont think that's true. You cant just throw Oliver in your old Daily Show statement. Not that many people have HBO.

Also, more people get their news from Sean Hannity and the Donald Trump produced Fox and Friends. That is FAAARRR worse by any measure.

What you say is undoubtedly true if I was bumping up against farmers from Nebraska and coalminers from West Virginia everyday. The fact is, I'm not. And a whole lot of people that I talk to believe that The Daily Show is news.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:45 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Well, I had this conversation with RPB awhile back. I don't think the Fox tagline of "fair and balanced" means that they are fair and balanced themselves, but rather that their existence gives fairness and balance to the media as a whole that was previously largely left leaning. I don't see how they could realistically argue that they aren't approaching the news from a particular viewpoint.

That's not what they say though. They literally present it as "just the facts"

I mean, I could say that MSNBC's bias against Trump is just balancing against Fox but that wouldn't make it less biased or more credible.

That's another thing. We may need to revisit this Mainstream media leans left thing. If FoxNews is leading the ratings, is that true anymore?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:47 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Look no further than her embarrassment earlier this year with the tax return. She had the biggest primetime TV news flop since Geraldo went into Capone's vault. She literally is just as bad as Hannity when it comes to her biased crap she peddles. The only difference is she polishes her turds better than he does.

But I acknowledged her screwup using a small part of Trump's tax return that still appears valid. She was played well by his people, but still hasn't been shown to openly lie, nor support the use of alternative facts.

What aside from her politics makes her a pos in your view? If it's just politics, that's fine, I just am curious.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:49 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

What you say is undoubtedly true if I was bumping up against farmers from Nebraska and coalminers from West Virginia everyday. The fact is, I'm not. And a whole lot of people that I talk to believe that The Daily Show is news.

John Oliver is not on The Daily Show but I understand what you mean.

And I would suggest you could move the Daily Show to a news network with very minor changes and it no one would even notice. It's essentially a political show. It's roots are a comedy news show but it's gotten pretty far away from that.

If they consumed no other news, A Daily Show watcher would be better informed than a Hannity watcher.

And Im not talking about just the liberals you know. Overall, more people watch Fox.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:51 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:

CNN has made many mistakes over the years, but until trump saw the benefits of labelling them fake news, they were seen as the milquetoast, middle of the road news reading channel, even on this board.

They were trending that way before Trump. The sensationalized news and irresponsible reporting (Boston Bomber, Sandy Hook) turned a lot of people off.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
While among those who watch cable new, Fox has far more viewers, not that many people really watch Fox News. Hannity gets 3M viewers of which 600K are between 25-54. Not really a surprise that retirees are conservative.

All three non-cable news stations see twice as many viewers than Fox every night.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Quote:

I don't feel victimized. I'm just pointing out that it's false.

And what's disingenuous is the suggestion that Project Veritas, something most people have never even heard of, has influence anywhere near that of the Washington Post or New Your Times.
No what's disingenuous is saying their actions are pretty much the same as what newspapers do because hey, everyone has biases anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
America wrote:

and then when he was elected he fled the country. :lol:

You all laugh at America but I wonder what your tune will be in ten to twenty years.

When your daughters are being "culturally enriched" by packs of Muslim migrants. Your son comes home and tells you his preferred pronoun is xir and he wants you to pay for him to cut his dick off. Your wife tells you your years of microaggressions(not taking out garbage) and spousal rape (normal marital sex) have taken a toll and she wants a divorce.

Then you go to buy beer and find the Jewel doesnt carry beer because it is haram.

You say "this is enough!" only to remember you turned in your guns because of some crying late night host.

Just keep worrying about Drumpf tho

Last edited by ToxicMasculinity on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:57 pm 

And Ogie, I would respectfully disagree with you on Bret Bauer and Chris Wallace, and since you asked, MSNBC employs Andrea Mitchell, Kasie Hunt, Chuck Todd and scores of republican operatives which at least attempts at an honest conversation in their programs.

And I'd offer that Ali Velshi is pretty straight forward, especially on economic issues

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next