It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Matt Lauer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Nas wrote:
Matt Lauer used his power to have sex with them and when they resisted it sounds like he used force. Knowing that no one would believe them over him. It's the same reason Bill Cosby was able to rape 60 women.

I asked my better half what really started the acceptance of employers/govt/social clubs etc. to begin aggressively taking inappropriate allegations seriously and acting on them with the vigor they have. She said Weinstein. I don't doubt her as I really don't know. I would posit that Cosby was the first big name that got the ball rolling for more women to come forward with abuse allegations.

I get why consensual sex lady was tossed in with all other allegations. It establishes a pattern of relations with subordinates. You may get away with it if it is just one (1) person. Multiple persons where several can show unwanted advances, threats, imprisonment is going to get you fired. If two persons of similar rank in a work place have a consensual relationship it shouldn't cause job loss when it ends IF it ends on a reasonable note...see neither went batshit crazy in the process of breakup.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:10 pm 

I think it's definitely inappropriate but if we started holding consensual relationships between co-workers as abuse then people abuse each other constantly.

It's not like this person reported to Lauer either.

The other stuff sounds much worse than this which is why it's strange that this became the face of his transgressions.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:14 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I think it's definitely inappropriate but if we started holding consensual relationships between co-workers as abuse then people abuse each other constantly.

The other stuff sounds much worse than this which is why it's strange that this became the face of his transgressions.

Yeah there certainly are consensual relationships at work places that end up just fine. Still, it is not a really great idea unless and until one was very sure that there is unanimous gusto for it. As far as the Lauer stuff the person did not have to report to him to be a problem. When you are the face of the ews organization or other large part of a company you have power over everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:15 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

In general I would agree with you. However when the guy is as powerful as Lauer and he's preying on interns it's a little different. They're probably assuming if they go along they'll be able to work in a field they love and if they don't he'll destroy their career. It's an easy choice to make.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:59 pm 

Nas wrote:
They're probably assuming if they go along they'll be able to work in a field they love and if they don't he'll destroy their career. It's an easy choice to make.

To me there is a level of personal responsibility to that choice that at very least means you cannot claim to be a victim later. The automatic lock thing without context lets the mind wander. Unless he was forcing anything, which is hard to prove (not that we are even trying to prove anything) then they made a choice.

Im a realist. If someone could make my career for sex I would likely oblige. Women like sex too. That was in fact what the first feminist movement was about before it got hijacked by nutjobs.

- Dan Bernstein, 2016

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Yeah there certainly are consensual relationships at work places that end up just fine. Still, it is not a really great idea unless and until one was very sure that there is unanimous gusto for it. As far as the Lauer stuff the person did not have to report to him to be a problem. When you are the face of the ews organization or other large part of a company you have power over everyone.

It's best to not dip your pen in the company's ink, so to speak.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:22 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Chus wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Is that frowned upon?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
pittmike wrote:
Chus wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Is that frowned upon?

Was that wrong? Should I have not done that?

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8