It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:24 pm 

Is now upon us.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/suprem ... us-schools.
Quote:
The Supreme Court on Tuesday struck down a ban on taxpayer funding for religious schools, in a narrow but significant win for the school choice movement.

In the 5-4 ruling, authored by Chief Justice John Roberts, the court essentially backed a Montana tax-credit scholarship program that gave residents up to a $150 credit for donating to private scholarship organizations, helping students pay for their choice of private schools. The state's revenue department made a rule banning those tax-credit scholarships from going to religious schools before the state's supreme court later struck down the entire program.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Voucher programs are popular.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:47 pm 

“A State need not subsidize private education. But once a State decides to do so, it cannot disqualify some private schools solely because they are religious," Roberts wrote in the court's opinion."

Well to my knowledge Charter schools are not considered private schools. If they were the flood gates wood open in Chicago.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:59 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
“A State need not subsidize private education. But once a State decides to do so, it cannot disqualify some private schools solely because they are religious," Roberts wrote in the court's opinion."

Well to my knowledge Charter schools are not considered private schools. If they were the flood gates wood open in Chicago.

I doubt it. Most parents in Chicago prefer Selective enrollment public school to either Charters or Catholic Schools. Its the overwhelming choice for them. Once they aren't admitted to a selective enrollment then they look into Catholic Schools and if they cannot afford Catholic then they check for Charters.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Illinois has tax credits for private school. I have used them for years. But they’re pretty limited.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:02 pm 

Terrible. Public tax dollars should go to public schools.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:03 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Speaks to the sub-standards of public education.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
conns7901 wrote:

75% of my IL state taxes over the last two years has gone directly to fund private education for a child from Chicago.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:06 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:

No it doesn't. Public school educators on avg are easily among the more qualified in the state when it comes to education. The reason that they will not teach in private schools is due to the substandard pay that teachers in private schools are often paid.

Has nothing to do with standards.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:08 pm 

long time guy wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

I doubt it. Most parents in Chicago prefer Selective enrollment public school to either Charters or Catholic Schools. Its the overwhelming choice for them. Once they aren't admitted to a selective enrollment then they look into Catholic Schools and if they cannot afford Catholic then they check for Charters.

That doesn't have anything to do with the ruling. The ruling would be if the city of Chicago gave out money to attend Morgan Park Academy through some program, they would now have to let that money be used also to attend Marist.

Selective enrollment always win but those spots are limited. My friend was a head coach at one of them. Said he never lost a kid to Mt. Carmel or Loyola that got in his school. Problem was enough kids that were difference makers could not get in.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

The Democrat controlled IL House and Senate disagree.

https://empowerillinois.org/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:11 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

75% of my IL state taxes over the last two years has gone directly to fund private education for a child from Chicago.

Do you have an issue with this?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Marie's
Caller Bob wrote:

The many union hacks of the CTU will be bellyaching about this great ruling.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:12 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

That should be changed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:13 pm 

Phil Leotardo wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

It doesn't do anything that impacts Chicago. CTU will be fine.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

conns7901 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

That doesn't have anything to do with the ruling. The ruling would be if the city of Chicago gave out money to attend Morgan Park Academy through some program, they would now have to let that money be used also to attend Marist.

Selective enrollment always win but those spots are limited. My friend was a head coach at one of them. Said he never lost a kid to Mt. Carmel or Loyola that got in his school. Problem was enough kids that were difference makers could not get in.

No I understand the ruling. The seats are limited. The demand for them far exceeds that of private or charter which is my point. That wouldn't change even if charters were privatized and the totality of a child's tuition was publicly funded.

Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

That should be changed.

Why do you want poor children to be stuck in sub-standard public schools with no recourse?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:14 pm 

Phil Leotardo wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

You might not have noticed but Charter School teachers are fighting like hell to unionize these days asshole.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:15 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Why do you want poor children to be stuck in sub-standard public schools with no recourse?
I don't.

Public tax money shouldn't be going to private school education.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

Caller Bob wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Why would i have an issue with helping to provide a child something of great value to them?

I do have to pay my taxes almost a year early, but I'm not complaining.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
I don't.

It happens everyday and has for MANY years.

Pell Grants are another example.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:17 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Why would i have an issue with helping to provide a child something of great value to them?

Good to hear! MANY pro-lifers are all for the babies being born, but have no interest in feeding or educating them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:20 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
I don't.

It happens everyday and has for MANY years.

Pell Grants are another example.
College is slightly different because they aren't meant to provide local education to all in the area. Still, if they stopped allowing them for private colleges then that's fine too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

conns7901 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

That doesn't have anything to do with the ruling.

Correct.

Odd that someone would bring them up since they were started by Daley under the guise of reform so that politicians had a high school to send their kids to that had the best teachers, no tuition and it kept their kids out of the regular CPS set up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

Caller Bob wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Good to hear! MANY pro-lifers are all for the babies being born, but have no interest in feeding or educating them.

Since you brought it up, let me know when you have some free time and you can spend of it with Pro-Life people that care daily.

I eagerly await your PM.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:27 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Since you brought it up, let me know when you have some free time and you can spend of it with Pro-Life people that care daily.

I eagerly await your PM.

Smells like "grooming".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:27 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
I don't.

Especially when private schools do not have to play by the same rules that all of those "substandard" public schools have to play by. For instance private schools have the ability to remove "undesirable" students without anything that even remotely resembles due process.

It's one of the primary reasons that they are able to maintain such lofty "standards". The luxury of removing undesirable students isn't something that is afforded to CPS. CPS accepts the students that Private Schools and Charters no longer want, hoping to make the best of it. That's the dirty little secret that no one is supposed to know

Last edited by long time guy on Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:30 pm 
Site Admin

Seacrest wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

I eagerly await your PM.

Caller Bob wrote:
Smells like "grooming".

The only thing I smell is your bullshit. :P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:30 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

That doesn't have anything to do with the ruling.

Correct.

Odd that someone would bring them up since they were started by Daley under the guise of reform so that politicians had a high school to send their kids to that had the best teachers.

The quality of teaching isn't all that great in selective enrollment schools. If you placed the exact same teachers in low performing schools the results wouldn't be drastically different.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:34 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
The only thing I smell is your bullshit. :P

Wear your mask then!