It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Voter Suppression...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Regular Reader wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Reader, how about these bar graphs showing the distribution of wait times for black Americans in the last three elections? Outside of 2008 (hmm, what could that have been to drive up wait times?), is there a general downward trend, even and especially in waits to cast a ballot that are reportedly longer than an hour?

Regular Reader wrote:
Hence 6-8-10 hours voting lines are becoming increasingly more common.

Hey jln keep being completely intellectually dishonest. 2012 and 2016 aren't even on the chart.

Nice try cherry picker.

http://www.stephenpettigrew.com/article ... 17-psq.pdf

That's all that was contained in Appendix D. And why do you care about 2012 and 2016, aren't those presidential elections, and haven't you just call me intellectually dishonest for not talking about off-year elec—OH WAIT HERE IT IS:

Regular Reader wrote:
And keep cherry picking but ignoring the above raised point about obvious differences between presidential year (for which the data is bad on it's face) and off year election.

TALK ABOUT OFF-YEAR ELECTIONS

STOOOOP TALKING ABOUT OFF-YEAR ELECTIONS

But do you see a downward trend in the data?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:07 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
badrogue17 wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
I've just never felt that showing an ID to vote was an inconvenience.

Because it isn’t for MOST people .

Good Dolphin is that you? I fixed your post.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Those charts still show that non whites have longer wait times. Why? what is being done to cause the long waits? The clerks/judges (at least in IN) are members of GOP and Democrats. If you're a Democrat judge in a precinct in Cleveland and there is a 8 hour wait, why are you letting that happen?

Regular Reader wrote:
Hey Reader, does this graph look to you like the average wait time to cast a ballot has been decreasing, even irrespective of a community's "whiteness", from 2008 to 2016?

Regular Reader wrote:

Hey jln, does your chart show 2016 like you assert?

And keep cherry picking but ignoring the above raised point about obvious differences between presidential year (for which the data is bad on it's face) and off year election.

I see why your attempts to try and get through law school failed, you can't read...even simple numbers

Drats, my brain combined the best parts of "2006" and "2014" to get "2016".

Otherwise, do you note a downward trend from 2008 to 2014?

Nas wrote:

All within the 35 minute return of a guy who can only type with one hand. :lol: But then again I can read.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:10 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Hey Reader, does this graph look to you like the average wait time to cast a ballot has been decreasing, even irrespective of a community's "whiteness", from 2008 to 2016?

Regular Reader wrote:

I see why your attempts to try and get through law school failed, you can't read...even simple numbers

Go away you fraud

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:10 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

All within the 35 minute return of a guy who can only type with one hand. :lol: But then again I can read.

And can only think with one lobe.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:11 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Regular Reader wrote:

Go away you fraud

Do you see a downward trend in the data?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:11 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
I've just never felt that showing an ID to vote was an inconvenience. If you can't manage to get an ID in 4 years before an election...I question your mental capacity to vote in the first place. Now the link that was posted showed they were asking for county of birth and other shit like that...they can shove that up their ass. Show the ID and move on, people aren't getting fake IDs to vote (except the kid in Breakfast Club).

That's the thing of it, you and I generally are in agreement on that. It's all the extras larded on, and in Alabama that they closed many of the Secretary of state offices in the "Black Belt " just south of Birmingham just after the voting law changed.

Coincidentally of course if you ask jln I'm sure.

Yeah, if you're closing offices then you are fixing the game. As a stand alone, im perfectly fine with ID laws.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:13 pm 
100000 CLUB

MANY minorities don't vote in off year elections. MANY young people don't vote in off year elections. MANY conservatives vote in off year elections. Off year election numbers will always be skewed. Even intellectually dishonest people who aren't defending ANYTHING understand that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:14 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Hey jln, do these charts show the last two presidential elections?

Regular Reader wrote:

Which. Is. It?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:16 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Reader, how about these bar graphs showing the distribution of wait times for black Americans in the last three elections? Outside of 2008 (hmm, what could that have been to drive up wait times?), is there a general downward trend, even and especially in waits to cast a ballot that are reportedly longer than an hour?

Regular Reader wrote:

Hey jln keep being completely intellectually dishonest. 2012 and 2016 aren't even on the chart.

Nice try cherry picker.

That's all that was contained in Appendix D. And why do you care about 2012 and 2016, aren't those presidential elections, and haven't you just call me intellectually dishonest for not talking about off-year elec—OH WAIT HERE IT IS:

Regular Reader wrote:

TALK ABOUT OFF-YEAR ELECTIONS

STOOOOP TALKING ABOUT OFF-YEAR ELECTIONS

But do you see a downward trend in the data?

How about 2010 on this one you fraud.

You don't this in virtually every argument that you're in with me and LTG. Cherry pick, fudge the facts, lie and refuse to answer questions when you inevitably can't change the subject.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
I've just never felt that showing an ID to vote was an inconvenience. If you can't manage to get an ID in 4 years before an election...I question your mental capacity to vote in the first place. Now the link that was posted showed they were asking for county of birth and other shit like that...they can shove that up their ass. Show the ID and move on, people aren't getting fake IDs to vote (except the kid in Breakfast Club).

That's the thing of it, you and I generally are in agreement on that. It's all the extras larded on, and in Alabama that they closed many of the Secretary of state offices in the "Black Belt " just south of Birmingham just after the voting law changed.

Yeah, if you're closing offices then you are fixing the game. As a stand alone, im perfectly fine with ID laws.

Even if they are closing SoS offices near where blacks live, it’s not like these elections just sprung up out nowhere . I’d think that 2 to 4 years is plenty of time to pack up the truck and head to Beverly to procure an ID if voting is that important to you .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

Last edited by badrogue17 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:17 pm 
100000 CLUB

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Those charts still show that non whites have longer wait times. Why? what is being done to cause the long waits? The clerks/judges (at least in IN) are members of GOP and Democrats. If you're a Democrat judge in a precinct in Cleveland and there is a 8 hour wait, why are you letting that happen?

I imagine it's primarily resources. I was a judge twice and IIRC we had ZERO control over the resources we got. I was a Republican judge too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:19 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Nas wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

I imagine it's primarily resources. I was a judge twice and IIRC we had ZERO control over the resources we got. I was a Republican judge too.

Probably right on the resources. Who was providing them in Illinois? Evil (R) governor and sos I assume.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:19 pm 

Nas wrote:
MANY minorities don't vote in off year elections. MANY young people don't vote in off year elections. MANY conservatives vote in off year elections. Off year election numbers will always be skewed. Even intellectually dishonest people who aren't defending ANYTHING understand that.

Speaking of your intellectual dishonesty: Even within election types (off-year vs. presidential) there is a shown decrease in mean wait times for all voters regardless of percentage of white people, as well as for black voters overall, AND a decrease in the number of black voters experiencing a wait time of more than one hour.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:20 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

Regular Reader wrote:

Which. Is. It?

This is rich. You're too dense to realize that I'm now just pointing out your dishonesty even in sophomoric attempts to make your feeble points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:22 pm 

Nas wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Right but that is something that should be easily fixed. If your precinct got two machines in 2008 and had 5 hour wait, you better put 6 machines there in 2012. If that doesn't happen you should be voting out your state representative because they clearly aren't fighting for their constituents.

100000 CLUB

badrogue17 wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Even if they are closing SoS offices near where blacks live, it’s not like these elections just sprung up out nowhere . I’d think that 2 to 4 years is plenty of time to pack up the truck and head to Beverly to procure an ID if voting is that important to you .

Most folks don't care about voting. If you make it a chore to do they're less likely to vote. I would drive to California to make sure I could vote but half of the population doesn't want to spend more than 15 mins on it. Especially poor folks and people of color. This is understood by MANY.

Regular Reader wrote:

You don't this in virtually every argument that you're in with me and LTG. Cherry pick, fudge the facts, lie and refuse to answer questions when you inevitably can't change the subject.

I have literally linked you the study, you can go see for yourself that I'm not cherry-picking or fudging anything.

Are you saying you have data on voter wait times for the 2010 election that negate the narrative here, or are you just looking to nix the whole thing because the available facts make you look stupid (again)?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Here's a pretty good article connecting the Supreme Court's attempt to weaken the Voting Rights Act, the closure of polling locations in some states, and voter suppression.

The Nation wrote:
There Are 868 Fewer Places to Vote in 2016 Because the Supreme Court Gutted the Voting Rights Act

When Aracely Calderon, a naturalized US citizen from Guatemala, went to vote in downtown Phoenix just before the polls closed in Arizona’s March 22 presidential primary, there were more than 700 people in a line stretching four city blocks. She waited in line for five hours, becoming the last voter in the state to cast a ballot at 12:12 am. “I’m here to exercise my right to vote,” she said shortly before midnight, explaining why she stayed in line. Others left without voting because they didn’t have four or five hours to spare.

The lines were so long because Republican election officials in Phoenix’s Maricopa County, the largest in the state, reduced the number of polling places by 70 percent from 2012 to 2016, from 200 to just 60—one polling place per 21,000 registered voters. Previously, Maricopa County would have needed federal approval to reduce the number of polling sites, because Arizona was one of 16 states where jurisdictions with a long history of discrimination had to submit their voting changes under Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act. This part of the VRA blocked 3,000 discriminatory voting changes from 1965 to 2013. That changed when the Supreme Court gutted the law in the June 2013 Shelby County v. Holder decision.

The polling place reductions in Maricopa County were a glaring example of a disturbing trend. The Leadership Conference for Civil Rights surveyed 381 of the 800 counties previously covered by Section 5 where polling place information was available in 2012 or 2014 and found there are 868 fewer places to cast a ballot in 2016 in these areas. “Out of the 381 counties in our study, 165 of them—43 percent—have reduced voting locations,” says the important new report.

While new statewide voting restrictions like voter-ID laws and cuts to early voting in places like Texas and North Carolina have received national attention, the polling place closures could have as big of an impact in 2016—the first presidential election in 50 years without the full protections of the VRA.

Arizona, the poster child for voting problems in the primary, closed the highest percentage of polling places in the study. “Almost every county in the state reduced polling places in advance of the 2016 election and almost every county closed polling places on a massive scale, resulting in 212 fewer polling places,” says the report (emphasis in original). Tucson’s Pima County—the second largest in the state, which is 35 percent Latino and leans Democratic—“is the nation’s biggest closer of polling places,” from 280 in 2012 to 218 in 2016.

Many of these counties have been hot spots for voting discrimination. Cochise County, on the Mexico border, which is 30 percent Latino, was sued by the Justice Department in 2006 failing to print election materials in Spanish or have Spanish-speaking poll workers, in violation of the VRA. Today, the county “is the nation’s biggest closer by percentage,” having shuttered 63 percent of its voting locations since Shelby. There will be only 18 polling places for 130,000 residents in 2016, down from 49 polling places in 2012.

Texas has closed more than 400 polling places, more than any other state in the study. “Almost half of all Texas counties in our sample closed polling places since Shelby, resulting in 403 fewer voting locations for the 2016 election than in past years,” according to the Leadership Conference.

Medina County, a heavily Republican area in South Texas, closed a polling place in the town of Natalia, which is 75 percent Latino and the only Democratic-leaning part of the county. “We’ve had a polling place for at least the last six decades,” Emilio Flores, a local activist and registered Republican, told me. When Flores asked the county elections administrator, Patricia Barton, how low-income and disabled Latino voters were supposed to vote without a polling place in their town, he said she told him, “If you think it’s such a big issue, why don’t you shuttle them yourself?” Last week the county commission approved a polling place in Natalia for Election Day after local activists like Flores raised alarms, but Medina County will have only eight polling places in 2016, down from 14 in 2012.

We’re already seeing the impact of polling place closures during early voting in states like North Carolina. The state cut a week of early voting for 2016, which was overturned as discriminatory by a federal court, but many GOP-controlled counties still limited early voting hours and locations, leading to four hour lines in cities like Charlotte and a 16 percent decrease in black turnout compared to 2012. Black turnout decreased the most in the 17 counties that had only one polling site for the first week of early voting.

Thirty percent of the 40 counties in North Carolina that had to approve their voting changes with the federal government closed polling places on Election Day. The Leadership Conference spotlights the impact:

Cleveland County, which is on the outer edge of the Charlotte metropolitan area, is a textbook example of a change that would have received enhanced scrutiny under Section 5. In the 2012 election, voters in Cleveland County were served by 26 polling places; in 2016, they’ll only have 21—a drop of 19 percent. In the summer of 2014, the county’s board of elections merged five of these voting locations into two in the city of Shelby—which is 40 percent Black—over opposition from the Cleveland County NAACP. Rev. Dante Murphy, the Cleveland County NAACP president, said, “We know that this is part of a bigger trend—a movement to suppress people’s right to vote.”

There are a variety of reasons for the polling place closures. Most counties cite budget shortfalls. Some said they couldn’t comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. A few states, like Arizona and Texas, have switched to “vote centers,” where there are fewer polling places but county residents can vote anywhere they like, rather than at an assigned polling place. This model works well in some places, but was a disaster in Maricopa County during the primary, when officials allocated far fewer polling places than necessary.

Still, it’s impossible to ignore that polling places are being closed on a major scale in states with a very ugly history of suppressing voting rights, like Louisiana and Mississippi. “Since Shelby, 61 percent of Louisiana parishes have closed a total of 101 polling places since 2012,” says the report. “About 34 percent of all Mississippi counties surveyed have closed polling places since Shelby, resulting in at least 44 fewer polling places for the 2016 election.”

In June 2013, Percy Bland was elected as the first black mayor of Meridian, Mississippi, where the Ku Klux Klan abducted the civil rights workers James Chaney, Andrew Goodman, and Mickey Schwerner during Freedom Summer in 1964. A month after Bland’s election the Supreme Court gutted the VRA, and in 2015 the majority-white board of elections in Lauderdale County closed seven polling places over objections from the mayor. That included eliminating a polling place at the historic Mt. Olive Baptist Church, a major site during the civil-rights movement, as the place where the singer Pete Seeger announced that the bodies of Chaney, Goodman, and Schwerner had been discovered after they were missing for 44 days. “In an effort to honor the legacy of those who paid the ultimate sacrifice in order that we enjoy our civil rights, we proudly offer our historic facilities [as a polling site],” said church spokesman Ronald Turner.

“Things have changed dramatically” in the South, Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in the Shelby decision. “The tests and devices that blocked ballot access have been forbidden nationwide for over 40 years.” But as we’re seeing clearly in 2016, the states previously covered by the VRA keep finding new ways to undermine the right to vote.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:24 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Regular Reader wrote:

Which. Is. It?

This is rich. You're too dense to realize that I'm now just pointing out your dishonesty even in sophomoric attempts to make your feeble points

Does that one work in court? "Your Honor, this man is being dishonest in making me look like a fool!" :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:26 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

But it still begs the question, if there are no real cases of voter fraud (except for the trump voter in Iowa), where's the need? And why isn't a sworn signature and say a tax or utility bill sufficient. It is at the Secretary of State's office at least here.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Nas wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Most folks don't care about voting. If you make it a chore to do they're less likely to vote. I would drive to California to make sure I could vote but half of the population doesn't want to spend more than 15 mins on it. Especially poor folks and people of color. This is understood by MANY.

Seems reasonable. Carry on then.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:31 pm 
100000 CLUB

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Nas wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Right but that is something that should be easily fixed. If your precinct got two machines in 2008 and had 5 hour wait, you better put 6 machines there in 2012. If that doesn't happen you should be voting out your state representative because they clearly aren't fighting for their constituents.

You're right

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:32 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

I have literally linked you the study, you can go see for yourself that I'm not cherry-picking or fudging anything.

Are you saying you have data on voter wait times for the 2010 election that negate the narrative here, or are you just looking to nix the whole thing because the available facts make you look stupid (again)?

I don't have the inclination or time to really read it now, just your own clumsily put together idiotic posts. I mean someone too stupid to argue about 2016 while posting simple charts that never touched on It is priceless in it's stupidity.

And then posted so joyously about it. Like a toddler so proud of going Number 2 in the big boy potty. Which really are what most of your posts are

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:33 pm 
100000 CLUB

badrogue17 wrote:
Nas wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Seems reasonable. Carry on then.

This is why they've been caught on camera bragging about it. The old folks who don't have the documentation are dying off and the younger folks are too lazy to put any effort into doing basic shit. Throw in an hour plus wait and you may shave off a point or 2 and that could be good enough for a victory.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:34 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

I don't have the inclination or time to really read it now, just your own clumsily put together idiotic posts. I mean someone too stupid to argue about 2016 while posting simple charts that never touched on It is priceless in it's stupidity.

And then posted so joyously about it. Like a toddler so proud of going Number 2 in the big boy potty. Which really are what most of your posts are

I'm confused...do you or do you not notice a downward trend in the mean wait time from 2008-2014, as well as across off-year elections, for voters overall, black voters overall, and the number of black voters reporting wait times of longer than an hour, based on the data I've posted?

It's OK to admit you were wrong, Reader, or at least that the available facts don't back up the assertion you made with zero facts. I'm sure you ran into this a lot practicing, at least when the ARDC came calling.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:35 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Here's a pretty good article connecting the Supreme Court's attempt to weaken the Voting Rights Act, the closure of polling locations in some states, and voter suppression.

The Nation wrote:
There Are 868 Fewer Places to Vote in 2016 Because the Supreme Court Gutted the Voting Rights Act

When Aracely Calderon, a naturalized US citizen from Guatemala, went to vote in downtown Phoenix just before the polls closed in Arizona’s March 22 presidential primary, there were more than 700 people in a line stretching four city blocks. She waited in line for five hours, becoming the last voter in the state to cast a ballot at 12:12 am. “I’m here to exercise my right to vote,” she said shortly before midnight, explaining why she stayed in line. Others left without voting because they didn’t have four or five hours to spare.

The lines were so long because Republican election officials in Phoenix’s Maricopa County, the largest in the state, reduced the number of polling places by 70 percent from 2012 to 2016, from 200 to just 60—one polling place per 21,000 registered voters. Previously, Maricopa County would have needed federal approval to reduce the number of polling sites, because Arizona was one of 16 states where jurisdictions with a long history of discrimination had to submit their voting changes under Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act. This part of the VRA blocked 3,000 discriminatory voting changes from 1965 to 2013. That changed when the Supreme Court gutted the law in the June 2013 Shelby County v. Holder decision.

The polling place reductions in Maricopa County were a glaring example of a disturbing trend. The Leadership Conference for Civil Rights surveyed 381 of the 800 counties previously covered by Section 5 where polling place information was available in 2012 or 2014 and found there are 868 fewer places to cast a ballot in 2016 in these areas. “Out of the 381 counties in our study, 165 of them—43 percent—have reduced voting locations,” says the important new report.

While new statewide voting restrictions like voter-ID laws and cuts to early voting in places like Texas and North Carolina have received national attention, the polling place closures could have as big of an impact in 2016—the first presidential election in 50 years without the full protections of the VRA.

Arizona, the poster child for voting problems in the primary, closed the highest percentage of polling places in the study. “Almost every county in the state reduced polling places in advance of the 2016 election and almost every county closed polling places on a massive scale, resulting in 212 fewer polling places,” says the report (emphasis in original). Tucson’s Pima County—the second largest in the state, which is 35 percent Latino and leans Democratic—“is the nation’s biggest closer of polling places,” from 280 in 2012 to 218 in 2016.

Many of these counties have been hot spots for voting discrimination. Cochise County, on the Mexico border, which is 30 percent Latino, was sued by the Justice Department in 2006 failing to print election materials in Spanish or have Spanish-speaking poll workers, in violation of the VRA. Today, the county “is the nation’s biggest closer by percentage,” having shuttered 63 percent of its voting locations since Shelby. There will be only 18 polling places for 130,000 residents in 2016, down from 49 polling places in 2012.

Texas has closed more than 400 polling places, more than any other state in the study. “Almost half of all Texas counties in our sample closed polling places since Shelby, resulting in 403 fewer voting locations for the 2016 election than in past years,” according to the Leadership Conference.

Medina County, a heavily Republican area in South Texas, closed a polling place in the town of Natalia, which is 75 percent Latino and the only Democratic-leaning part of the county. “We’ve had a polling place for at least the last six decades,” Emilio Flores, a local activist and registered Republican, told me. When Flores asked the county elections administrator, Patricia Barton, how low-income and disabled Latino voters were supposed to vote without a polling place in their town, he said she told him, “If you think it’s such a big issue, why don’t you shuttle them yourself?” Last week the county commission approved a polling place in Natalia for Election Day after local activists like Flores raised alarms, but Medina County will have only eight polling places in 2016, down from 14 in 2012.

We’re already seeing the impact of polling place closures during early voting in states like North Carolina. The state cut a week of early voting for 2016, which was overturned as discriminatory by a federal court, but many GOP-controlled counties still limited early voting hours and locations, leading to four hour lines in cities like Charlotte and a 16 percent decrease in black turnout compared to 2012. Black turnout decreased the most in the 17 counties that had only one polling site for the first week of early voting.

Thirty percent of the 40 counties in North Carolina that had to approve their voting changes with the federal government closed polling places on Election Day. The Leadership Conference spotlights the impact:

Cleveland County, which is on the outer edge of the Charlotte metropolitan area, is a textbook example of a change that would have received enhanced scrutiny under Section 5. In the 2012 election, voters in Cleveland County were served by 26 polling places; in 2016, they’ll only have 21—a drop of 19 percent. In the summer of 2014, the county’s board of elections merged five of these voting locations into two in the city of Shelby—which is 40 percent Black—over opposition from the Cleveland County NAACP. Rev. Dante Murphy, the Cleveland County NAACP president, said, “We know that this is part of a bigger trend—a movement to suppress people’s right to vote.”

There are a variety of reasons for the polling place closures. Most counties cite budget shortfalls. Some said they couldn’t comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. A few states, like Arizona and Texas, have switched to “vote centers,” where there are fewer polling places but county residents can vote anywhere they like, rather than at an assigned polling place. This model works well in some places, but was a disaster in Maricopa County during the primary, when officials allocated far fewer polling places than necessary.

Still, it’s impossible to ignore that polling places are being closed on a major scale in states with a very ugly history of suppressing voting rights, like Louisiana and Mississippi. “Since Shelby, 61 percent of Louisiana parishes have closed a total of 101 polling places since 2012,” says the report. “About 34 percent of all Mississippi counties surveyed have closed polling places since Shelby, resulting in at least 44 fewer polling places for the 2016 election.”

In June 2013, Percy Bland was elected as the first black mayor of Meridian, Mississippi, where the Ku Klux Klan abducted the civil rights workers James Chaney, Andrew Goodman, and Mickey Schwerner during Freedom Summer in 1964. A month after Bland’s election the Supreme Court gutted the VRA, and in 2015 the majority-white board of elections in Lauderdale County closed seven polling places over objections from the mayor. That included eliminating a polling place at the historic Mt. Olive Baptist Church, a major site during the civil-rights movement, as the place where the singer Pete Seeger announced that the bodies of Chaney, Goodman, and Schwerner had been discovered after they were missing for 44 days. “In an effort to honor the legacy of those who paid the ultimate sacrifice in order that we enjoy our civil rights, we proudly offer our historic facilities [as a polling site],” said church spokesman Ronald Turner.

“Things have changed dramatically” in the South, Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in the Shelby decision. “The tests and devices that blocked ballot access have been forbidden nationwide for over 40 years.” But as we’re seeing clearly in 2016, the states previously covered by the VRA keep finding new ways to undermine the right to vote.

Damn facts and their nasty liberal bias

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:36 pm 
100000 CLUB

Regular Reader wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

:cry: :lol: :cry: :lol: :cry: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next