It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Voter Suppression...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I am of the opinion that this is not a HUGE issue, but definitely inneresting.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... election/#

http://www.newsweek.com/alabama-senate- ... ods-746190

Brittany Bevelle, a web designer and illustrator, started tweeting this morning about being marked “inactive” at her local polling location. “Folks who have lived here longer than I've been alive....inactive,” Bevelle wrote on Twitter. Her thread got people’s attention, and has already been retweeted thousands of times.

Post subject: Re: Voter Suppression...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
There is an extremely low amount of work one must do in order to vote. Some people fail to meet that threshold.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:37 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
people just don't want to work polling booths in bad neighborhoods. so they work with what they work with.

voting paperwork is so menial and easy to do.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:43 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
I am of the opinion that this is not a HUGE issue, but definitely inneresting.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... election/#

http://www.newsweek.com/alabama-senate- ... ods-746190

Brittany Bevelle, a web designer and illustrator, started tweeting this morning about being marked “inactive” at her local polling location. “Folks who have lived here longer than I've been alive....inactive,” Bevelle wrote on Twitter. Her thread got people’s attention, and has already been retweeted thousands of times.

It actually is a huge issue for people of color, especially in states like Wisconsin and Michigan implemented the CrossCheck program in the run up to last year's election where Trump won by a relative handful of votes. It's been fairly problematic throughout the south, especially with republicans gutting the Voting Rights Act awhile back.

You can say that it's not a HUGE issue to you, but think about the fact that one group in this country is profanely interested in making it more difficult to vote, primarily because their ideas have less and less public support. Like the current rushed tax bill.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:45 am 

hnd wrote:
people just don't want to work polling booths in bad neighborhoods. so they work with what they work with.

voting paperwork is so menial and easy to do.

People in those neighborhoods DO want to work those polling booths, but in republican states the positions and resources are being choked out. Hence 6-8-10 hours voting lines are becoming increasingly more common.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:45 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Quote:
The group has also collected reports of people being prevented from voting by the state’s photo ID law because their IDs have expired.

:shock:

Quote:
The complaints coming to these civil rights groups mirror the reports coming from journalists and voters on the ground in Alabama.

More war-like verbiage used in reporting. It's an election, not a firefight, and you're some asshole on Twitter, not a Marine.

This is bullshit. You can't present something implicitly accusatory like this and just leave it to hang in the air and expect people to take you seriously. The guy said in subsequent tweets that he didn't see the cops doing much of anything, didn't even mention running warrants again, and had to correct a tweet from "ACLU is dispatching staff here" to "ACLU is investigating".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:48 am 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Quote:
The group has also collected reports of people being prevented from voting by the state’s photo ID law because their IDs have expired.

:shock:

Quote:
The complaints coming to these civil rights groups mirror the reports coming from journalists and voters on the ground in Alabama.

More war-like verbiage used in reporting. It's an election, not a firefight, and you're some asshole on Twitter, not a Marine.

Quote:
https://i.gyazo.com/c81aa50653e73138aa300ba2ecfb2e7e.png

This is bullshit. You can't present something implicitly accusatory like this and just leave it to hang in the air and expect people to take you seriously. :lol: :lol: :lol: The guy said in subsequent tweets that he didn't see the cops doing much of anything, didn't even mention running warrants again, and had to correct a tweet from "ACLU is dispatching staff here" to "ACLU is investigating".

Ok, one note Chuck has chimed in his typical off key way again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:51 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
[ Hence 6-8-10 hours voting lines are becoming increasingly more common.

You have some citation for this?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:54 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Hatchetman wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Ain’t no one got time for that

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:55 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Uh-oh. Add another one to the list!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:56 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

https://www.brennancenter.org/analysis/long-voting-lines-explained

Or you can simply Google "voting wait times". Or watch any network other than Fox on major election days.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:59 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Ain’t no one got time for that

Ain't? Mischaracterize better. :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:02 am 

OK there were some issues in 2012 in Florida. But I can't find any news items related to yesterday's election.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:04 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Or you can simply Google "voting wait times". Or watch any network other than Fox on major election days.

Your source doesn't mention an increase in incidence of long wait times at voting centers. It only states that they happen (duh) and what can be done to prevent them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:08 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Your source doesn't mention an increase in incidence of long wait times at voting centers. It only states that they happen (duh) and what can be done to prevent them.

It's funny how you attempt to muddy up any exchange I have on certain topics in which you weren't previously involved with your typical stances. Just how much space do I take up in your pointy head?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
heaven forbid somebody verify your identity when voting

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:12 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

It's funny how you attempt to muddy up any exchange I have on certain topics in which you weren't previously involved with your typical stances. Just how much space do I take up in your pointy head?

Yes, I muddied an exchange because I pointed out the source you provided to justify your claim of "[ Hence 6-8-10 hours voting lines are becoming increasingly more common" didn't actually mention extended voting line wait times becoming more common. :roll:

You're one step away from being LTG-esque in your wrongness. In fact, considering your path, maybe just change your handle to "ltgesq" to better facilitate making fun of your idiocy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:22 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Yes, I muddied an exchange because I pointed out the source you provided to justify your claim of "[ Hence 6-8-10 hours voting lines are becoming increasingly more common" didn't actually mention extended voting line wait times becoming more common. :roll:

You're one step away from being LTG-esque in your wrongness. In fact, considering your path, maybe just change your handle to "ltgesq" to better facilitate making fun of your idiocy.

It's pathetic how you will be the only poster who will attempt to debate the trends in voting problems. I'd ask you why that is, but you have an amazing inability to answer a question.

How about just honestly admitting your motives?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:27 am 

Regular Reader wrote:

It's funny how you will be the only poster who will attempt to debate the trends in voting problems. I'd ask you why that is, but you have an amazing inability to answer a question.

I don't know whether the incidence of long voting lines is increasing, decreasing, or stagnant.

What I do know is that the source you provided as evidence of your claim doesn't actually support your claim that the incidence of long voting lines is increasing.

Quote:
How about just honestly admitting your motives?

I happen to particularly enjoy deflating that puffed up chest of yours, especially when you make it so abundantly clear that you can't stand being challenged on anything.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:27 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
What awful things won't JLN defend that conservatives do/say? Most people draw a line somewhere but I've yet to see one from JLN.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:29 am 

Nas wrote:
What awful things won't JLN defend that conservatives do/say? Most people draw a line somewhere but I've yet to see one from JLN.

What am I defending, here?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:31 am 

I happen to particularly enjoy deflating that puffed up chest of yours, especially when you make it so abundantly clear that you can't stand being challenged on anything.

Whatever gives you your jollies I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:45 am 
100000 CLUB

Nas wrote:

I'm sure you'll say that you don't defend ANYTHING but you always have your lawyer cap on debating the semantics of some REALLY awful stuff that "conservatives" do or say. Your endurance for posting about things you aren't defending is 2nd to none.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:46 am 

Regular Reader wrote:

This is the same guy who argued that the causes of secession weren't actually the causes of secession. This after being provided with the actual declaration of secession documents which proved him wrong.

In his non stop defense of the indefensible he will simply slant the info in order to prove that he is right. He is also a hypocrite whose positions change according to subject matter.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:51 am 

Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:

I'm sure you'll say that you don't defend ANYTHING but you always have your lawyer cap on debating the semantics of some REALLY awful stuff that "conservatives" do or say. Your endurance for posting about things you aren't defending is 2nd to none.

Taking issue with someone intimating voter suppression by police without a shred of evidence is not an argument over semantics. Nor is pointing out that someone's source doesn't actually back up their claim.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:53 am 

long time guy wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

This is the same guy who argued that the causes of secession weren't actually the causes of secession. This after being provided with the actual declaration of secession documents which proved him wrong.

What the hell are you talking about? I don't think that was me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
long time guy wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

What the hell are you talking about? I don't think that was me.

You all look alike.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:01 pm 
100000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:

Taking issue with someone intimating voter suppression by police without a shred of evidence is not an argument over semantics. Nor is pointing out that someone's source doesn't actually back up their claim.

I'm sure you always have a reason to not defend something. I'm more interested in the things you won't defend or "take issue with" or have a 30 page over semantics about that conservatives do or say. I've seen Chas and others draw lines but I'm still waiting for that JLN line. I imagine there has to be one. I thought it would be murder but we learned that wasn't true earlier this year.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Why are there longer wait times to vote and why does it seem to be a race thing? Are the precincts too large and not enough voting machines? My precincts have always had two machines, two clerks, two or three judges and my longest wait has been 30 minutes or so and that was the exception. Usually I'm in and out in 10 mins tops. And I live in the strongest Democrat county in IN outside of Indianapolis. So if they wanted to suppress votes they would try it here.

I'm generally curious how it can happen, in Indiana you have to show ID to vote and then sign the voter book and then head to the machine. What are other states doing that can take up so much extra time?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:12 pm 
100000 CLUB

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Why are there longer wait times to vote and why does it seem to be a race thing? Are the precincts too large and not enough voting machines? My precincts have always had two machines, two clerks, two or three judges and my longest wait has been 30 minutes or so and that was the exception. Usually I'm in and out in 10 mins tops. And I live in the strongest Democrat county in IN outside of Indianapolis. So if they wanted to suppress votes they would try it here.

I'm generally curious how it can happen, in Indiana you have to show ID to vote and then sign the voter book and then head to the machine. What are other states doing that can take up so much extra time?

I have no data on this but from watching the news it appears that it happens mostly in urban areas. IIRC folks in Florida had to wait 4 plus hours at multiple locations (all minority areas) and in another state the wait to vote was like 8 hours. The polls ended up staying open past midnight. I imagine in swing states there's more bullshit going on. Indiana or Illinois aren't exactly swing states.