It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Washing Machine
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:49 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The Sears in Orland is closing soon. Might be able to get a deal there.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:27 am 

RFDC wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
spanky wrote:
1. Leave the door open when not in use (dries out quickly)
2. Pop it out and quickly wipe it off every couple loads instead of waiting for "what the hell is that smell in the laundry room" - which we've done too many times.

Not doing #2.

I am not sure the seal on ours pops off...but even if it did wouldn't it be bad for the seal to be popping it off and on every few loads?

Sorry of the delay. Yeah I didn't mean the actual seal itself, but the piece covering it that pops off real quick. We keep a clorox bleach stick/pen on top of our washer. We give it a quick what-have-you every couple of washes...takes 10 seconds. Seems to help a little for sure.

But what really helps is to run a cycle with one of those "Affresh" pods every month or so.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:34 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
conns7901 wrote:
Anyone buy one recently and have suggestions? The one I own came with the house and have no idea how old it is. The last couple of days it has been shaking violently during the spin cycle moving close to a foot. Per google search it appears that it may be something involving the suspension or bearings. I called for it to get looked at but debating how much it was worth paying to get fixed versus buying a new one.

The reason it was shaking is you have a uneven load. Or check the base of the washing machine, there are 4 adjustable stands. Probably one of the stands is uneven. just make sure they're all level and it should balance the washing machine out for you. Also when you put a load in, make sure it's as close to balanced on all sides.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:15 am 

K Effective wrote:
I have rebuilt my GE top loader washer a couple of times now, the YouTube videos from appliancepartspros.com etc. are super helpful- they eliminate the steps you did not recognize that can be catastrophic to disassembly. Last Christmas, my oldest son overloaded our machine (way more than two polos), which did in the main bearing. It was probably worn, but he pushed it over the top. The repair ended up including a new outer wash tub, bearing assembly and drive belt. It would have been less than a couple of hours, but I reassembled the main seal upside-down, and had to tear it all apart and flip the seal. Just over $125 bucks and it has run perfectly since.

My next washer will be a Speed Queen top loader. They sell through local stores plus Abt and Amazon, and offer a washer without all the computer controls, the number one source of all modern laundry issues.

So sad because computer controls should be more reliable than mechanical

They got to have some shoddy ass components in the motherboard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
I have a bare bones Speed Queen. Bought it because it's built like a tank and can be loaded up with plenty of pool towels. It's going to destroy nice clothes eventually, so I'm going to be picking up a more appropriate set later this year. The Speed Queen should last 25 years of heavy use.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:27 am 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
I handle liability claims for commercial clients. One of my clients sells washing machines, and I get a lot of claims. My two cents from the claims side of things.

- Front loaders suck. One, they get smelly and moldy. Two, they don't clean as well. Three, if the seal or door fails on them, water goes everywhere. And for trendy people that insist on having their washers on the second floor, front loaders are the leading cause of multiple levels of the house flooding.

- Unless you have a warranty or can replace parts yourself, it isn't worth calling service. Seals and pressure switches can be cheap. But if they have to replace the sump or anything on the motherboard, it's not worth the price. Plus, washers are made cheap now. They don't last 20 years like the old days.

- LG sucks. Buy Samsung or Fisher & Paykel. Maytag used to be good before it was bought by Whirlpool.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
we are moving and leaving the old GE profile set of laundry equipment at the house and will be in the market for new.

we are not a fan of the front loading washers but are making the switch to an agitator-less top loader.

Lowes has some pretty crazy deals going on right now. We are buying samsung. supposedly Sears is as well but i don't even know where there is one left.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:15 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Anyone buy one recently and have suggestions? The one I own came with the house and have no idea how old it is. The last couple of days it has been shaking violently during the spin cycle moving close to a foot. Per google search it appears that it may be something involving the suspension or bearings. I called for it to get looked at but debating how much it was worth paying to get fixed versus buying a new one.

The reason it was shaking is you have a uneven load. Or check the base of the washing machine, there are 4 adjustable stands. Probably one of the stands is uneven. just make sure they're all level and it should balance the washing machine out for you. Also when you put a load in, make sure it's as close to balanced on all sides.

It was not due to an uneven load. It was a broken bearing on a roughly 30 year old machine. Bought a new one.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:37 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
30 years. Impressive.

Little known fact - did you know sports radio personality Mike Murphy use to work as a salesperson in the appliance section of Montgomery Ward during the early days of the score.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:19 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
HawaiiYou wrote:
30 years. Impressive.

Little known fact - did you know sports radio personality Mike Murphy use to work as a salesperson in the appliance section of Montgomery Ward during the early days of the score.

That's not true.

You dudn't know that though.