It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
[ I think immigrant enclaves will tear America apart. And these enclaves are different than the Irish ghettoes or Little Italys in that the recent immigrants don't seem to have any desire to assimilate. We have to hop their children will against the wishes of the parents. It is a country's right to regulate who comes and how many.

You say it is different and then describe an identical situation.

The first generation here is always betwixt and between. The second generation keeps the old traditions alive for nostalgia and reverence of their ancestors but are fully immersed in the US. The third generation is embarrassed by the old traditions that are mocked by the suburban group they wish to become.

Exactly. Look at Muslims. The first generation wanted to buy into American culture, and then by third generation the grandkids are trying to buy Stinger missiles and throwing pressure cookers at marathon runners.

you would be hard pressed to find a third generation jihadist. That is 1-2 generation stuff. Third generation isn't even going to a mosque.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
good dolphin wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
[ I think immigrant enclaves will tear America apart. And these enclaves are different than the Irish ghettoes or Little Italys in that the recent immigrants don't seem to have any desire to assimilate. We have to hop their children will against the wishes of the parents. It is a country's right to regulate who comes and how many.

The first generation here is always betwixt and between. The second generation keeps the old traditions alive for nostalgia and reverence of their ancestors but are fully immersed in the US. The third generation is embarrassed by the old traditions that are mocked by the suburban group they wish to become.

Exactly. Look at Muslims. The first generation wanted to buy into American culture, and then by third generation the grandkids are trying to buy Stinger missiles and throwing pressure cookers at marathon runners.

you would be hard pressed to find a third generation jihadist. That is 1-2 generation stuff. Third generation isn't even going to a mosque.

Many attacks are from 1st generation Muslims.

Nidal Hassan, Anwar Alwalaki (&his 3rd generation son) and the Boston Marathon brothers were 2nd born you are right.

There isn't enough 3rd generation muslims in their mid 20s-30s at this moment to know what percentage will conduct atracks.

Either way you threw out JORRs argument and said todays migrants are just like old migrants (Polish or Italian). Except I don't remeber the Irish or Swedes blowing up post offices or conducting honor killings.

Last edited by ToxicMasculinity on Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Well, I think it's different because you had a Polish ancestor who insisted his kids learn English and play baseball instead of soccer which stands in stark contrast to demanding bi-lingual education or dressing a kid in a hijab. The term "melting pot" is now considered offensive.

But I do agree with you on a basic level as long as the numbers aren't overwhelming. In other words, we should welcome Haitians in America but we shouldn't welcome an attempt to recreate Haiti here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

The 3rd generation is absolutely going to the mosque for Friday prayer for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
tommy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Is there a better country than ours? Other than America are there folks running from our country? Don't most people (even from places that aren't of color/shitholes) like to live here? Should we also not allow them in because their place of birth is worse than ours?

To your first question, I would say that "better" is subjective, but I do think America is unique in that once one becomes an American they are just as American as the ancestors of those who came on the Mayflower. Of course, slavery was a bump in the road and we're still trying to rectify that. When you and I were going at it awhile back you made an eloquent post about what it means to be a black American. I tried to find it without success. I liked what you wrote and I don't think anyone can claim to be more American than those who are descended from slaves. Anyway, if you're asking me, I don't think there is a better country than ours.

And of course we should take immigrants from horrible places, but we should make sure we can assimilate them. I think immigrant enclaves will tear America apart. And these enclaves are different than the Irish ghettoes or Little Italys in that the recent immigrants don't seem to have any desire to assimilate. We have to hop their children will against the wishes of the parents. It is a country's right to regulate who comes and how many.

You guys (and Ogie and others) make some good points.

I think that at some point (and everyone can call me a Nazi if they want) that the US has to move beyond the beacon-for-immigrants identity. I don't buy the argument that we need the workers since Great Depression-levels of unemployment never went away in black neighborhoods (and are now back in some other areas); if you want to be competitive, figure out how to pay people a decent wage. I get it that health-care benefits really make this hard and so many Americans workers are lazy. I know people in the construction industry and I hate it when they hire skabs or non-union people, but when they explain why, I sympathize.

I also get it that migration is what's happening, and we go through waves of migration periodically, and there's nothing you can do to stop it unless you are really brutal. I am so conflicted on this. What's more, I wish we would hire American kids to do some of these unskilled jobs--maybe connect it to tuition somehow--but we're just too good to take that janitor's job. When we die, our grandfathers, who would have shoveled shit if it meant a few extra dollars per month, are gonna choke us to death (uh, again) for being such snobs.

You talk about how great unions are but then you don't know why the younger generation has no interest in joining those union-heavy industries?

Because the younger generation wants fair pay for fair skill. Not this tenure bullshit unions are known for.

And if a company has the choice to hire an equally skilled, non-union worker, the company should be able to do so.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
IMU wrote:
tommy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Is there a better country than ours? Other than America are there folks running from our country? Don't most people (even from places that aren't of color/shitholes) like to live here? Should we also not allow them in because their place of birth is worse than ours?

To your first question, I would say that "better" is subjective, but I do think America is unique in that once one becomes an American they are just as American as the ancestors of those who came on the Mayflower. Of course, slavery was a bump in the road and we're still trying to rectify that. When you and I were going at it awhile back you made an eloquent post about what it means to be a black American. I tried to find it without success. I liked what you wrote and I don't think anyone can claim to be more American than those who are descended from slaves. Anyway, if you're asking me, I don't think there is a better country than ours.

And of course we should take immigrants from horrible places, but we should make sure we can assimilate them. I think immigrant enclaves will tear America apart. And these enclaves are different than the Irish ghettoes or Little Italys in that the recent immigrants don't seem to have any desire to assimilate. We have to hop their children will against the wishes of the parents. It is a country's right to regulate who comes and how many.

You guys (and Ogie and others) make some good points.

I think that at some point (and everyone can call me a Nazi if they want) that the US has to move beyond the beacon-for-immigrants identity. I don't buy the argument that we need the workers since Great Depression-levels of unemployment never went away in black neighborhoods (and are now back in some other areas); if you want to be competitive, figure out how to pay people a decent wage. I get it that health-care benefits really make this hard and so many Americans workers are lazy. I know people in the construction industry and I hate it when they hire skabs or non-union people, but when they explain why, I sympathize.

I also get it that migration is what's happening, and we go through waves of migration periodically, and there's nothing you can do to stop it unless you are really brutal. I am so conflicted on this. What's more, I wish we would hire American kids to do some of these unskilled jobs--maybe connect it to tuition somehow--but we're just too good to take that janitor's job. When we die, our grandfathers, who would have shoveled shit if it meant a few extra dollars per month, are gonna choke us to death (uh, again) for being such snobs.

You talk about how great unions are but then you don't know why the younger generation has no interest in joining those union-heavy industries?

Because the younger generation wants fair pay for fair skill. Not this tenure bullshit unions are known for.

And if a company has the choice to hire an equally skilled, non-union worker, the company should be able to do so.

Given the context, this comment makes no sense.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Well, I think it's different because you had a Polish ancestor who insisted his kids learn English and play baseball instead of soccer which stands in stark contrast to demanding bi-lingual education or dressing a kid in a hijab. The term "melting pot" is now considered offensive.

But I do agree with you on a basic level as long as the numbers aren't overwhelming. In other words, we should welcome Haitians in America but we shouldn't welcome an attempt to recreate Haiti here.

Become American or GTFO--just like our ancestors did willingly. (Of course, some people are not really allowed to fully participate, and that's a problem as well.)

Also, it's not a given that the immigrants of the past 50 years will follow the patterns established by the immigrants of 150-75 years ago. They may and they may not.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:39 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Nidal Hassan, Anwar Alwalaki (&his 3rd generation son) and the Boston Marathon brothers were 2nd born you are right.

There isn't enough 3rd generation muslims in their mid 20s-30s at this moment to know what percentage will conduct atracks.

Either way you threw out JORRs argument and said todays migrants are just like old migrants (Polish or Italian). Except I don't remeber the Irish or Swedes blowing up post offices or conducting honor killings.

Haymarket and other union organizing riots, german anarchists, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
good dolphin wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

This one too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_Street_bombing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:42 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

The 3rd generation is absolutely going to the mosque for Friday prayer for sure.

Unless you have something to support your disagreement we are both talking from personal experience. My personal experience has been far different than yours.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
tommy wrote:
IMU wrote:

Given the context, this comment makes no sense.

I'll consider that you preferring not to respond.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:59 pm 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Unless you have something to support your disagreement we are both talking from personal experience. My personal experience has been far different than yours.

I have/and do live in far more diverse neighborhoods than you. I have had, and do currently have Muslim neighbors. Our children have gone and currently go to school with MANY 3rd generation practicing Muslim children.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:27 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

This one too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_Street_bombing

Ogie do you support open borders and migration for Israel?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:34 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I see a lot of 3rd generation Muslims working/owning clothing stores in the inner city. They're definitely not praying. I did come across a young worker praying in Best Buy last year.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:36 pm 

Nas wrote:
I see a lot of 3rd generation Muslims working/owning clothing stores in the inner city. They're definitely not praying. I did come across a young worker praying in Best Buy last year.

Many third generation immigrants mostly give up on religion. Yeah freedom!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:46 pm 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:

All they need is a rug and the ability to face east.

MANY could be praying in these instances and none of us would even know it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:58 pm 
100000 CLUB

Seacrest wrote:
Nas wrote:

I could be wrong but these kids don't seem like the type who have any interest in praying.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:01 pm 

Nas wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Nas wrote:

I could be wrong but these kids don't seem like the type who have any interest in praying.

Smart?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:04 pm 
100000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nas wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Nas wrote:

Smart?

:lol: Even you would say a prayer if you or someone you loved were in danger just to cover all bases. Prayer is good my friend.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:14 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
[You say it is different and then describe an identical situation.

Exactly. Look at Muslims. The first generation wanted to buy into American culture, and then by third generation the grandkids are trying to buy Stinger missiles and throwing pressure cookers at marathon runners.[/quote]

you would be hard pressed to find a third generation jihadist. That is 1-2 generation stuff. Third generation isn't even going to a mosque.[/quote]

The 3rd generation is absolutely going to the mosque for Friday prayer for sure.[/quote]

Unless you have something to support your disagreement we are both talking from personal experience. My personal experience has been far different than yours.[/quote]

I have/and do live in far more diverse neighborhoods than you. I have had, and do currently have Muslim neighbors. Our children have gone and currently go to school with MANY 3rd generation practicing Muslim children.[/quote]

You love your assumptions.

My kid also goes to school with many Muslims which necessarily means that I have muslim neighbors. I help to establish mosques. Not a mosque and not a handful of mosques. I have appeared on muslim radio. Leaders in the community have lamented to me that 3rd generation children aren't close to their religion.

So, as I said, my personal and at least equal experience with the subject matter to you is different but I am open to being turned if you have supporting materials

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
I have appeared on muslim radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0FaVI9ae24

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:31 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0FaVI9ae24

More like
https://youtu.be/5-2nByd2cr4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:32 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:

Muslim radio, what is that, catcalling women into a microphone?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:36 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Muslim radio, what is that, catcalling women into a microphone?

You've amswered your own question:

Curious Hair wrote:
oh shit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
I help to establish mosques.

I'm not sure why but this has me laughing so hard I might piss my pants.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:42 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I help estabish the caliphate! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:49 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

In appreciation they made me a t shirt that says “I came here to chew gum and establish mosques...and I’m all out of gum”

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

In appreciation they made me a t shirt that says “I came here to chew gum and establish mosques...and I’m all out of gum”

:lol: :lol: This is an unexpectedly great thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:26 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
[You say it is different and then describe an identical situation.

you would be hard pressed to find a third generation jihadist. That is 1-2 generation stuff. Third generation isn't even going to a mosque.[/quote]

The 3rd generation is absolutely going to the mosque for Friday prayer for sure.[/quote]

Unless you have something to support your disagreement we are both talking from personal experience. My personal experience has been far different than yours.[/quote]

I have/and do live in far more diverse neighborhoods than you. I have had, and do currently have Muslim neighbors. Our children have gone and currently go to school with MANY 3rd generation practicing Muslim children.[/quote]

You love your assumptions.

My kid also goes to school with many Muslims which necessarily means that I have muslim neighbors. I help to establish mosques. Not a mosque and not a handful of mosques. I have appeared on muslim radio. Leaders in the community have lamented to me that 3rd generation children aren't close to their religion.

So, as I said, my personal and at least equal experience with the subject matter to you is different but I am open to being turned if you have supporting materials[/quote]

I'm not assuming that there are not Muslims in Sauganash. Nor am I assuming that your family doesn't spend anytime with them.

Congrats on knowing some Muslim guys to the whitest guy on the board.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:30 am 
Site Admin

Seacrest wrote:
I'm not assuming that there are not Muslims in Sauganash.

I think the guy that built that horrible house on the north side of Devon just west of Cicero with all the panels of animals built into the brick is a Hindu. He could be Muslim though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next