It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shut It Down
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Some polling from Fall 2016:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -5568.html

You can argue against the polls in 2016 all you want, but the popular vote fell about where the polls expected it to fall. The problem was not enough polls were done in the blue wall states in the final weeks so no one had a clear picture going into election day.

Yeah, zero chance I'm trusting 2016 polling data :lol: :lol:

Why?

Because they were completely wrong about the election.

They really weren't though:

Poll Date Sample MoE

Final Results -- -- -- 48.2 46.1 Clinton +2.1
RCP Average 11/1 - 11/7 -- -- 46.8 43.6 Clinton +3.2

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -5491.html

Irrelevant. They had Hillary winning. Trump won. You can talk your way around it, but they were wrong. No other way to look at it,

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Why don't you think Biden would have beaten Trump. He neutralizes everything that makes Trump effective on the stump and in debates.

It's very difficult for the same party to win three times in a row. And I as I said, it seems clear Americans were looking for change.

I'm not so sure Americans were looking for change. I think Trump's win was more a product of Hillary being the worst fucking Presidential candidate this country has seen in 200 years. She literally ran the worst style of campaign possible and ignored the advice her husband (who won two campaigns) was giving her. He pushed them to go hard in the blue wall states but she wouldn't budge.

Worst fucking candidate is more senseless babble. Walter Mondale and George McGovern were worse candidates than her. There have been other worse candidates too. Trump wasn't elected because of her either. A large number simply bought what he was selling. Whether it was his racist pitch or his virtually non existent economic message people voted for the clown.

People don't want to admit that they were favor of him becoming president and as such they Hillary bash.

There were other choices and they favored him over them as well.

Its funny to hear the constant spinning of the election too. Its almost as if people are trying to find absolution for voting the jerk.

Mondale and McGovern lost against established, popular candidates running for a 2nd term. No candidate from their party ever could have won in 1972 or 1984.

Hillary ran against a fucking reality TV star who had more bankruptcies and gaffes than any modern politician. She lost to him, largely because she had a poor message and campaign strategy. Losing to Donald Trump easily makes her the worst Presidential candidate to ever seek the office.

It doesn't matter what the circumstances happened to be. Mondale lost the election by 48 states. She received more of the popular vote. She wasn't a worse candidate.

If Reality TV star was the disqualifier that you make it out to be he'd never have made it to the general in the first place.
When judging how a candidate performed then yes you actually do need to consider the circumstances. Mondale and McGovern were given an impossible task. It was as impossible for them to win. It would be like blaming McCain for 2008 when it was pretty much an impossible task for a Republican to win after the economic meltdown, 6 years in Iraq, and running against a charismatic Obama. It was flat out unwindable for the GOP

Running against Trump should have been a case where it was impossible for Hillary to lose, yet she lost. By that virtue she is the worst candidate. She had ample opportunity to put Trump away but just couldn't do it.

Are you seriously trying to become a punch line on this board?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:19 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Some polling from Fall 2016:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -5568.html

You can argue against the polls in 2016 all you want, but the popular vote fell about where the polls expected it to fall. The problem was not enough polls were done in the blue wall states in the final weeks so no one had a clear picture going into election day.

Yeah, zero chance I'm trusting 2016 polling data :lol: :lol:

Why?

Because they were completely wrong about the election.

They really weren't though:

Poll Date Sample MoE

Final Results -- -- -- 48.2 46.1 Clinton +2.1
RCP Average 11/1 - 11/7 -- -- 46.8 43.6 Clinton +3.2

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -5491.html

Irrelevant. They had Hillary winning. Trump won. You can talk your way around it, but they were wrong. No other way to look at it,
A national poll cannot give you the electoral college results, they can only give you the popular vote, which is what they came pretty close to accurately predicting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
:lol: You rushed into that thread to make a crack about Hillary and weight requirements for the presidency when everyone was just laughing at Trump's blatant dishonesty and then doubled and tripled down as if you were making some deeper point about the media and the Discourse.

:lol: I jumped in with a joke about Hillary Clinton and you and some others got triggered as you have been since the day Trump was elected. Are you declaring yourself the arbiter of who can joke here and how? Or did you think I was serious about a weight requirement for the presidency? Have you weighed Trump today?
I didn't participate in that thread at all and was scarcely triggered by your Hillary crack because it's par for the course for your performative impartiality and your obsession with her. You however seem quite triggered when people say your posts that read like defenses of Trump read like defenses of Trump.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
If the economy were flailing right now I am 100% certain you would not blame it on Obama's policies. So we can't have a real discussion.

:lol: I hated Obama's administration and have never been a fan of crediting politicians in general and the president specifically for broader macroeconomic trends in the absence of evidence. The reason we can't have a real discussion is because of your inability to bring up any policies that warrant this giving him a fairer shake than he's gotten thus far.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:23 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
A national poll cannot give you the electoral college results, they can only give you the popular vote, which is what they came pretty close to accurately predicting.

Which is why national polls should never be trusted. The electoral college is all that matters. Popular vote is irrelevant.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Hank Scorpio wrote:
So....no federal taxes taken out of our checks since they are shutdown and not paying anyone right?

They won't get paid for when it's shut down...but when it starts up again they get back pay. It's essentially a delayed paid vacation. Nice huh? They set themselves up with some pretty sweet deals.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:24 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Democrats rhetoric (not results) on social issues turned off MANY working class whites. They can stomach the social shift as long as you wink at them too. Bill Clinton and Joe Biden and Bernie understand this and all have talked to these voters. Biden and Bernie are loved by MANY of them. Reality is that the demographic change the country is seeing will make it easier to continue to ignore them over the next 10 to 20 years.

Yeah, but there's another side to that and you're obviously aware of it since you used the words "rhetoric (not results)". I have no doubt that many Democrats care more about social issues particularly with regard to minorities than Republicans. I certainly think someone like Patty Murray or Elizabeth Warren is kinder than Paul Ryan or Donald Trump. But you can't feed your family with intentions. I know you were offended by Trump's "what have you got to lose?" question, but really, if whatever he does helps black people or gay people or whatever, what difference does it make what his intentions are? We've often made jokes here about "what's in his heart". Frankly, his heart can be as small and mean as the Grinch and who cares as long as his policies- as scattershot as they may be- are helping Americans?

Anyway, back to your question regarding my current contempt for the American Left, to me "Left" and "Labor" were always synonymous. That's clearly no longer the case. "Left" now is a lunatic fringe that concerns itself with silliness like "microaggressions" and transgender bathrooms.

Which policies do you think specifically would help minorities so far? What are these swell things that people should definitely give Trump a chance about? Your defenses of Trump always refer to these various vague possibilities (see also: The Democrats should try to make a deal with Trump on healthcare because Trump loves making deals!), but rarely is there any substance. The mere fact that the Democrats have failed to improve the material condition of many people for years doesn't mean the Republicans should deserve a chance to do so by default, particularly when much of their rhetoric indeed suggests making material conditions worse for many people.

I think the Democrats have failed people of all stripes for years and hate preening lesser evil lecturers as much as anyone, but there is definitely something to be said about the Trump administration normalizing the kind of blatant racism pushed by Bannon, Sessions, et. al, and that kind of rhetoric becoming salient absolutely can and does have policy implications.

I have never made a defense of Trump in this forum and if you want to have a real discussion you should stop suggesting that I have. Otherwise, when I see your name I will just put you in the DannyB and Baby McNown category.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/05/news/ec ... index.html

I'm sorry for construing your perpetual whataboutism in the face of Trump criticism as constituting a defense of him. I don't think my interpretation of your repeated efforts in this regard is the least bit uncharitable, considering how many other people have read such rushes to bring up the Democrats similarly (e.g., your debacle of a performance in the Girther thread).

I asked you about specific policies benefiting minorities. What do you attribute to Trump for the unemployment rate? What specifically should blacks and other minorities be celebrating here?

:lol: My "performance" was a debacle? I guess you're just so smart that you see no problem with reporters trying to diagnose the president with mental disease. If that's a defense of the guy being diagnosed by Jim Acosta, I'll own that.

And now you want to get into a deep discussion of economics? Sorry, I'm not qualified. I don't know if you are either, but I'm guessing not. All we do know- and this is a FACT- is that a guy you vehemently dislike is president and black unemployment is at an all-time low. Of course I don't expect you to credit the guy you hate for that.

Whoever is President gets credit/blame for all economic happenings?

I don't want to put words in your mouth but that seems to be where you're landing on Trump and Black unemployment.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:26 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

I wouldn't say all, but yes of course the President is credited or blamed for the economy. At least historically.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:27 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Which is why national polls should never be trusted. The electoral college is all that matters. Popular vote is irrelevant.

Agreed that they are not what matters, but at the very least they give you a pulse of the overall country. State polls will give you the electoral college.

I guess my larger point is that you can get a glance from those polls that the country would have fallen behind a Biden candidacy in the general.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
ZephMarshack wrote:
I didn't participate in that thread at all and was scarcely triggered by your Hillary crack because it's par for the course for your performative impartiality and your obsession with her. You however seem quite triggered when people say your posts that read like defenses of Trump read like defenses of Trump.

That's exactly the opposite of the truth. I've never been obsessed with who is or isn't president. In fact, I'm sure that if Hillary Clinton were now president my life would be zero percent different. Just like the lives of the vast majority of the goofs marching in pussy hats would be zero percent different if Clinton were president.

ZephMarshack wrote:
:lol: I hated Obama's administration and have never been a fan of crediting politicians in general and the president specifically for broader macroeconomic trends in the absence of evidence. The reason we can't have a real discussion is because of your inability to bring up any policies that warrant this giving him a fairer shake than he's gotten thus far.

I'm not going to play fake economist on a message board. There are guys with PhD's in economics who can't agree on what drives the economy. If politicians don't get credit for the economy, then who is president shouldn't matter when it comes to discussing it. Again, the one thing we do know is that Trump is president and black unemployment is at an all-time low. Of course someone who hates Trump is going to find any other reason for that fact.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:30 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Running against Trump should have been a case where it was impossible for Hillary to lose, yet she lost. By that virtue she is the worst candidate. She had ample opportunity to put Trump away but just couldn't do it.

Are you seriously trying to become a punch line on this board?

I don't care about board consensus. That matters not to me. Many of the people that hide behind that are often wrong anyway. That is cover for being wrong. Its patently stupid to say that a person was a worse candidate than a person that lost 48 states. Largest margin of victory in U.S. History.

Its also patently stupid to disregard the fact that he had to defeat 16 other people to be placed in that position. Its also dumb to continuously make the fallacious argument that this country simply "didn't want the other guy". You want to talk about jokes that would be it.

This country wanted that clown and whether it is guilt or otherwise they aren't willing to admit it. Even at her very worse she wasn't a worse candidate than him. It doesn't take the liberal media to point this out constantly either. Republicans many in fact have constantly made the point of how terrible he is and each and every time his chief apologists are at the ready with a customary defense.

Last edited by long time guy on Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:

I don't want to put words in your mouth but that seems to be where you're landing on Trump and Black unemployment.

Economics are complicated. My issue is that if you don't want to credit Trump for black unemployment being down, you shouldn't blame him if it's up. And if anyone here who hates Trump is going to have the nerve to suggest that if black unemployment had doubled in the last year he wouldn't be screaming about Trump's policies killing minorities, I'm gonna ask, who you crappin'?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:32 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I wouldn't say all, but yes of course the President is credited or blamed for the economy. At least historically.

Maybe it's the business I work in (most believe way more in the cyclical nature of the economy than anything else) but not the case in my experience.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:32 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Maybe it's the business I work in (most believe way more in the cyclical nature of the economy than anything else) but not the case in my experience.

Yeah, I'm not suggesting the President should get credit or blame for the economy. Just that they historically have.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:34 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Economics are complicated. My issue is that if you don't want to credit Trump for black unemployment being down, you shouldn't blame him if it's up. And if anyone here who hates Trump is going to have the nerve to suggest that if black unemployment had doubled in the last year he wouldn't be screaming about Trump's policies killing minorities, I'm gonna ask, who you crappin'?

The decline in black unemployment has been more a product of blacks being removed from the labor rolls than anything. That was the case a few years ago and it probably hasn't changed much.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:34 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Well I wouldn't, but I'm not a team player.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:35 pm 

long time guy wrote:

I don't care about board consensus. That matters not to me. Many of the people that hide behind that are often wrong anyway. That is cover for being wrong. Its patently stupid to say that a person was a worse candidate than a person that lost 48 states. Largest margin of victory in U.S. History.

Its also patently stupid to disregard the fact that he had to defeat 16 other people to be placed in that position. Its also dumb to continuously make the fallacious argument that this country simply "didn't want the other guy". You want to talk about jokes that would be it.

This country wanted that clown and whether it is guilt or otherwise they aren't willing to admit it. Even at her very worse she wasn't a worse candidate than him. It doesn't take the liberal media to point this out constantly either. Republicans many in fact have constantly made the point of how terrible he is and each and every time his chief apologists are at the ready with a customary defense.

I don't think you realize or are willing to admit how many people hate Hillary Clinton. Or how exclusive the Democratic party is becoming.

Last edited by Spaulding on Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:36 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Yeah, I'm not suggesting the President should get credit or blame for the economy. Just that they historically have.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Spaulding wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I don't think you realize or are willing to admit how many people hate Hillary Clinton. Or how exclusive the Democratic party is becoming.

I have wondered this about LTG for some time.

Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Well I wouldn't, but I'm not a team player.

I don't consider you a Trump-hater either. I know you don't like him and didn't vote for him, but I don't get the impression you feel like the world is falling apart because he's the president for four years.

1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Spaulding wrote:

Yup.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:39 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
long time guy wrote:

That's the case with any candidate. She is a polarizing political figure but so was Donald Trump. There are a number of people that voted for her too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:40 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I have wondered this about LTG for some time.

That won't change one opinion that I have ever expressed on here either.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:43 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Isn't it sort of laughable to talk about "exclusivity" and "identity politics" when the Republican Party is chiefly regarded as the party of White Men?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:44 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Isn't it sort of laughable to talk about "exclusivity" and "identity politics" when the Republican Party is chiefly regarded as the party of White Men?

Not really. Both parties have a big problem with identity politics.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:48 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
long time guy wrote:

That is a remarkably contradictory position, especially when you correctly include that the gop is primarily governing on behalf of the morbidly wealthy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:50 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Not really. Both parties have a big problem with identity politics.

Identity politics have been a staple of the Republican Party since 1968. I laugh each and every time myth purveyors attempt to make the case that it somehow started with Obama or other Dems. Its a damn joke. If Dems reach out to these groups its because the Republicans have first shunned them. Southern Strategists first excluded "the blacks" and the Christian Coalition religous right double down with their exclusion of homosexuals.

That is the history. That can't be ignored. Maybe on this board it can because each time "identity" politics charge is levied it is a placed on Dems. Its simply false.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:52 pm 

long time guy wrote:

Identity politics have been a staple of the Republican Party since 1968. I laugh each and every time myth purveyors attempt to make the case that it somehow started with Obama or other Dems. Its a damn joke. If Dems reach out to these groups its because the Republicans have first shunned them. Southern Strategists first excluded "the blacks" and the Christian Coalition religous rights double down with their exclusion of homosexuals.

That is the history. That can't be ignored. Maybe on this board it can because each time "identity" politics charge is levied it is a placed on Dems. Its simply false.

Nobody in this thread has said anything to the contrary. Republicans initializing the trend doesn't excuse democrats from diving head first into it the last decade or two either.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

That's exactly the opposite of the truth. I've never been obsessed with who is or isn't president. In fact, I'm sure that if Hillary Clinton were now president my life would be zero percent different. Just like the lives of the vast majority of the goofs marching in pussy hats would be zero percent different if Clinton were president.
Bully for you. This response has little or nothing to do with what I wrote. Maybe it's the case that people say it sounds like you're defending Trump not because they're filled with biased and unfair hate towards the guy or obsessed with giving Hillary the throne or systematically misinterpreting you but because it actually sounds like you're defending Trump, despite your protestations to the contrary.
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I'm not going to play fake economist on a message board. There are guys with PhD's in economics who can't agree on what drives the economy. If politicians don't get credit for the economy, then who is president shouldn't matter when it comes to discussing it. Again, the one thing we do know is that Trump is president and black unemployment is at an all-time low. Of course someone who hates Trump is going to find any other reason for that fact.

Again, I'm not the one who brought up the economy at all. That was your response when I asked what Trump has done that justifies giving him a fairer chance than he's been given. Sighing about the complexity of it all rather than offering anything substantive to suggest he should be treated fairer still leaves my initial question in place. I'll accept your implicit concession though that you wrongly assumed I'd be rah-rahing Obama in this scenario.

I'd add that nothing I said entails a conclusion as strong as it doesn't matter who's in office when it comes to the economy. The mere fact that something's complicated does not entail complete agnosticism. But you better have a plausible causal story linking that politician and a given outcome rather than just hastily concluding that whoever's in office at a given point in time deserves all the credit or blame for that outcome.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:59 pm 

long time guy wrote:

That's the case with any candidate. She is a polarizing political figure but so was Donald Trump. There are a number of people that voted for her too.

Deplorables! :lol:

Hillary is an awful person and awful candidate. The Democratic party force fed her to us, nobody else was even in the running. I do not disagree with you that there are a lot of racist voters or bigoted people that like Trump's message. I do not believe those people are the ones that turned the election in the states of MI, WI, PA, OH, or FL though. I have no data (and I'm not going to look) but I would suspect those are the states they lost the female vote. The Democratic party is turning people away from it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next