It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shut It Down
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:45 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Why don't you think Biden would have beaten Trump. He neutralizes everything that makes Trump effective on the stump and in debates.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:48 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
ZephMarshack wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Democrats rhetoric (not results) on social issues turned off MANY working class whites. They can stomach the social shift as long as you wink at them too. Bill Clinton and Joe Biden and Bernie understand this and all have talked to these voters. Biden and Bernie are loved by MANY of them. Reality is that the demographic change the country is seeing will make it easier to continue to ignore them over the next 10 to 20 years.

Yeah, but there's another side to that and you're obviously aware of it since you used the words "rhetoric (not results)". I have no doubt that many Democrats care more about social issues particularly with regard to minorities than Republicans. I certainly think someone like Patty Murray or Elizabeth Warren is kinder than Paul Ryan or Donald Trump. But you can't feed your family with intentions. I know you were offended by Trump's "what have you got to lose?" question, but really, if whatever he does helps black people or gay people or whatever, what difference does it make what his intentions are? We've often made jokes here about "what's in his heart". Frankly, his heart can be as small and mean as the Grinch and who cares as long as his policies- as scattershot as they may be- are helping Americans?

Anyway, back to your question regarding my current contempt for the American Left, to me "Left" and "Labor" were always synonymous. That's clearly no longer the case. "Left" now is a lunatic fringe that concerns itself with silliness like "microaggressions" and transgender bathrooms.

Which policies do you think specifically would help minorities so far? What are these swell things that people should definitely give Trump a chance about? Your defenses of Trump always refer to these various vague possibilities (see also: The Democrats should try to make a deal with Trump on healthcare because Trump loves making deals!), but rarely is there any substance. The mere fact that the Democrats have failed to improve the material condition of many people for years doesn't mean the Republicans should deserve a chance to do so by default, particularly when much of their rhetoric indeed suggests making material conditions worse for many people.

I think the Democrats have failed people of all stripes for years and hate preening lesser evil lecturers as much as anyone, but there is definitely something to be said about the Trump administration normalizing the kind of blatant racism pushed by Bannon, Sessions, et. al, and that kind of rhetoric becoming salient absolutely can and does have policy implications.

I have never made a defense of Trump in this forum and if you want to have a real discussion you should stop suggesting that I have. Otherwise, when I see your name I will just put you in the DannyB and Baby McNown category.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/05/news/ec ... index.html

I'm sorry for construing your perpetual whataboutism in the face of Trump criticism as constituting a defense of him. I don't think my interpretation of your repeated efforts in this regard is the least bit uncharitable, considering how many other people have read such rushes to bring up the Democrats similarly (e.g., your debacle of a performance in the Girther thread).

I asked you about specific policies benefiting minorities. What do you attribute to Trump for the unemployment rate? What specifically should blacks and other minorities be celebrating here?

:lol: My "performance" was a debacle? I guess you're just so smart that you see no problem with reporters trying to diagnose the president with mental disease. If that's a defense of the guy being diagnosed by Jim Acosta, I'll own that.

And now you want to get into a deep discussion of economics? Sorry, I'm not qualified. I don't know if you are either, but I'm guessing not. All we do know- and this is a FACT- is that a guy you vehemently dislike is president and black unemployment is at an all-time low. Of course I don't expect you to credit the guy you hate for that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Nas wrote:
Why don't you think Biden would have beaten Trump. He neutralizes everything that makes Trump effective on the stump and in debates.

He was never a serious presidential candidate at any point. It's absurd to state that he would beat Trump like it's a fact-based or even evidence-based statement.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
But there is no longer room for those folks in the Republican party.

Right. And there is no longer room for what I would call the average middle class person in the Democratic Party either.

We've talked a lot about how and why Trump got elected. I don't think economics or racial hatred were driving forces, though maybe if we drill down deep it really is economics. I mean economics is the driving force behind everything. I just don't think that was top of mind in this election. People didn't know what they wanted other than they didn't want what they had. It was a change election and people from both parties feel disenfranchised. The entire political and media Establishment had to put up a tremendous effort just to get their chosen candidate to beat Bernie Sanders, a guy MANY would have called a lunatic just a few years earlier.

I think reducing the election to being about change is just as unhelpful as saying it was about race or economics. Obama would have mollywhopped Trump if he could run for a third term, and he's the one guy who would've represented even less change to the status quo than Hillary. Same for Biden. Hillary was just a uniquely terrible candidate who ran a uniquely terrible campaign and as a result saw her numbers drop in the areas she needed them. Trump meanwhile didn't really get any surges comparable to previous Republicans; Hillary was simply unpopular enough that standard Republican numbers were more than enough to clinch him the states he needed.

Obama was a special guy as the first black president. He was going to galvanize the black vote and get those voters who often stay at home out to the polls. There are all kinds of people who dislike Obama's policies and were disappointed in his presidency who would have voted for him again simply because of who he was and what he represents. I think making that comparison is less helpful and more simplistic than anything I said above. And I highly doubt Biden would have beaten Trump. But we'll never know because he didn't run.

I think bringing up the guy who offered the least amount of change possible in response to whether the narrative of a change election is accurate is in fact pretty relevant.

And while Obama was no doubt a uniquely gifted politician, I think it's fair to say that Clinton was likewise uniquely flawed as a candidate. While Obama had the ability to get non-voters to the polls, Hillary had the ability to drive voters away from them and/or switch to third party.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:

He was never a serious presidential candidate at any point. It's absurd to state that he would beat Trump like it's a fact-based or even evidence-based statement.

It isn't so absurd to say as Biden's electoral sweet spot is the type of voter who swung the blue wall states to Trump. He's the career politician who can pull off the "regular Joe" act when speaking in a place like rural Pennsylvania and still seem genuine.

Hillary could never win such voters as she clearly held contempt for them and it showed. She ran the laziest campaign I have ever seen (often only holding 1 public event in a week) and flat out refused to engage with the type of voters they needed in order to win.

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:

It's very difficult for the same party to win three times in a row. And I as I said, it seems clear Americans were looking for change.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:52 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:

But what about the memes? He has good memes!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:52 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:

It isn't so absurd to say as Biden's electoral sweet spot is the type of voter who swung the blue wall states to Trump. He's the career politician who can pull off the "regular Joe" act when speaking in a place like rural Pennsylvania and still seem genuine.

Everyone likes to say that, and I'm sure it was at least partially true as the VP of a ticket, but he failed to gain any momentum as a Presidential candidate every time it was talked about. It's a tremendous leap to say that he would easily have been elected President over Trump. He's never even come within sniffing distance of a nomination, let alone being elected.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:53 pm 
Site Admin

ZephMarshack wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
But there is no longer room for those folks in the Republican party.

Right. And there is no longer room for what I would call the average middle class person in the Democratic Party either.

We've talked a lot about how and why Trump got elected. I don't think economics or racial hatred were driving forces, though maybe if we drill down deep it really is economics. I mean economics is the driving force behind everything. I just don't think that was top of mind in this election. People didn't know what they wanted other than they didn't want what they had. It was a change election and people from both parties feel disenfranchised. The entire political and media Establishment had to put up a tremendous effort just to get their chosen candidate to beat Bernie Sanders, a guy MANY would have called a lunatic just a few years earlier.

I think reducing the election to being about change is just as unhelpful as saying it was about race or economics. Obama would have mollywhopped Trump if he could run for a third term, and he's the one guy who would've represented even less change to the status quo than Hillary. Same for Biden. Hillary was just a uniquely terrible candidate who ran a uniquely terrible campaign and as a result saw her numbers drop in the areas she needed them. Trump meanwhile didn't really get any surges comparable to previous Republicans; Hillary was simply unpopular enough that standard Republican numbers were more than enough to clinch him the states he needed.

Obama was a special guy as the first black president. He was going to galvanize the black vote and get those voters who often stay at home out to the polls. There are all kinds of people who dislike Obama's policies and were disappointed in his presidency who would have voted for him again simply because of who he was and what he represents. I think making that comparison is less helpful and more simplistic than anything I said above. And I highly doubt Biden would have beaten Trump. But we'll never know because he didn't run.

I think bringing up the guy who offered the least amount of change possible in response to whether the narrative of a change election is accurate is in fact pretty relevant.

And while Obama was no doubt a uniquely gifted politician, I think it's fair to say that Clinton was likewise uniquely flawed as a candidate. While Obama had the ability to get non-voters to the polls, Hillary had the ability to drive voters away from them and/or switch to third party.

I agree that Clinton was a bad candidate. And while we agree that Obama likely would have won had he been able to run again, my argument would be that I don't believe it would have been due to a thirst for continuing Obama's policies.

Curious Hair wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:

Diamond Joe was great.

To rock my soul

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

It's very difficult for the same party to win three times in a row. And I as I said, it seems clear Americans were looking for change.

I'm not so sure Americans were looking for change. I think Trump's win was more a product of Hillary being the worst fucking Presidential candidate this country has seen in 200 years. She literally ran the worst style of campaign possible and ignored the advice her husband (who won two campaigns) was giving her. He pushed them to go hard in the blue wall states but she wouldn't budge.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Curious Hair wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:

The best memes folks. Yuge memes. We love our green frog don't we folks?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:55 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:

Everyone likes to say that, and I'm sure it was at least partially true as the VP of a ticket, but he failed to gain any momentum as a Presidential candidate every time it was talked about. It's a tremendous leap to say that he would easily have been elected President over Trump. He's never even come within sniffing distance of a nomination, let alone being elected.

He would have had a tough road in the primary as women would've still voted Hillary because she has a vagina and the hard left would still go for Bernie. Assuming he could win the primary, he would've had an easy road in the general. He is the type of candidate who would have been able to speak to grab moderate voters while still maintaining his base.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
There could never have been another Democratic nominee other than Hillary last year. Just as there could not have been a better time for a celebrity to run. Obama's years opened the door for creativity on the ticket, which will continue for years to come.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

I'm not so sure Americans were looking for change. I think Trump's win was more a product of Hillary being the worst fucking Presidential candidate this country has seen in 200 years. She literally ran the worst style of campaign possible and ignored the advice her husband (who won two campaigns) was giving her. He pushed them to go hard in the blue wall states but she wouldn't budge.

I'm sure that played a part. I mean if I hadn't seen it I couldn't imagine a candidate who proudly boasts that she is going to put Americans out of work and then calls them deplorable when they vote against her.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

:lol: My "performance" was a debacle? I guess you're just so smart that you see no problem with reporters trying to diagnose the president with mental disease. If that's a defense of the guy being diagnosed by Jim Acosta, I'll own that.
:lol: You rushed into that thread to make a crack about Hillary and weight requirements for the presidency when everyone was just laughing at Trump's blatant dishonesty and then doubled and tripled down as if you were making some deeper point about the media and the Discourse.

Quote:
now you want to get into a deep discussion of economics? Sorry, I'm not qualified. I don't know if you are either, but I'm guessing not. All we do know- and this is a FACT- is that a guy you vehemently dislike is president and black unemployment is at an all-time low. Of course I don't expect you to credit the guy you hate for that.

Again, I asked about policies. We can get into a deep discussion of economics if you want, and whether or not that rate is attributable to for instance the economic recovery that was underway before he was in office. Or, if you want to say that's too complex and unknowable, you can feel free to bring up something Trump specifically did that warrants this notion of giving him a fair chance regardless of intent or rhetoric.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:59 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

I'm sure that played a part. I mean if I hadn't seen it I couldn't imagine a candidate who proudly boasts that she is going to put Americans out of work and then calls them deplorable when they vote against her.

A lot of those voters she called "deplorable" were people who would've gladly cast a vote for Joe Biden over Trump.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:00 pm 

Some polling from Fall 2016:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -5568.html

You can argue against the polls in 2016 all you want, but the popular vote fell about where the polls expected it to fall. The problem was not enough polls were done in the blue wall states in the final weeks so no one had a clear picture going into election day.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:03 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

You can argue against the polls in 2016 all you want, but the popular vote fell about where the polls expected it to fall. The problem was not enough polls were done in the blue wall states in the final weeks so no one had a clear picture going into election day.

Yeah, zero chance I'm trusting 2016 polling data :lol: :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:04 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Why? The poll average was only off the actual popular vote by 1%. That certainly can be considered within the margin of error

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -5491.html

The issue with 2016 polls was the polling within states, not at the national level

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:05 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

Worst fucking candidate is more senseless babble. Walter Mondale and George McGovern were worse candidates than her. There have been other worse candidates too. Trump wasn't elected because of her either. A large number simply bought what he was selling. Whether it was his racist pitch or his virtually non existent economic message people voted for the clown.

People don't want to admit that they were favor of him becoming president and as such they Hillary bash.

There were other choices and they favored him over them as well.

Its funny to hear the constant spinning of the election too. Its almost as if people are trying to find absolution for voting for the jerk.

Last edited by long time guy on Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:06 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
For all the problems the Republicans have the Dems also have quite a few. Reading through this today I tried to see where middle class Dems that I personally know fit into the big party umbrella. I am not sure they do.

Friends of mine make good money and do the suburban family home thing. Many of them work as union tradesmen and get told to vote Dem locally and statewide. That is where it ends as far as I can see.

A lot of the issues we see on the news daily runs pretty counter to what a lot of these guys and their families care about. All the biggies like abortion, LGBT, guns, immigration are not winning points for Dems and these people.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

ZephMarshack wrote:
:lol: You rushed into that thread to make a crack about Hillary and weight requirements for the presidency when everyone was just laughing at Trump's blatant dishonesty and then doubled and tripled down as if you were making some deeper point about the media and the Discourse.

:lol: I jumped in with a joke about Hillary Clinton and you and some others got triggered as you have been since the day Trump was elected. Are you declaring yourself the arbiter of who can joke here and how? Or did you think I was serious about a weight requirement for the presidency? Have you weighed Trump today?

ZephMarshack wrote:
Again, I asked about policies. We can get into a deep discussion of economics if you want, and whether or not that rate is attributable to for instance the economic recovery that was underway before he was in office. Or, if you want to say that's too complex and unknowable, you can feel free to bring up something Trump specifically did that warrants this notion of giving him a fair chance regardless of intent or rhetoric.

If the economy were flailing right now I am 100% certain you would not blame it on Obama's policies. So we can't have a real discussion.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:10 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

Worst fucking candidate is more senseless babble. Walter Mondale and George McGovern were worse candidates than her. There have been other worse candidates too. Trump wasn't elected because of her either. A large number simply bought what he was selling. Whether it was his racist pitch or his virtually non existent economic message people voted for the clown.

People don't want to admit that they were favor of him becoming president and as such they Hillary bash.

Its funny to hear the constant spinning of the election too. Its almost as if people are trying to find absolution for voting the jerk.

Mondale and McGovern lost against established, popular candidates running for a 2nd term. No candidate from their party ever could have won in 1972 or 1984.

Hillary ran against a fucking reality TV star who had more bankruptcies and gaffes than any modern politician. She lost to him, largely because she had a poor message and campaign strategy. Losing to Donald Trump easily makes her the worst Presidential candidate to ever seek the office.

Trump had no business being anywhere close to winning, but Hillary's poorly run and poorly conceived campaign delivered the election to him.

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

If the economy were flailing right now I am 100% certain you would not blame it on Obama's policies. So we can't have a real discussion.

The Wall Street Journal routinely criticized Obama's recovery as not large enough. Plenty of blame was already foisted upon him.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:12 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Why?

Because they were completely wrong about the election.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:14 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

The Wall Street Journal routinely criticized Obama's recovery as not large enough. Plenty of blame was already foisted upon him.

To be fair, the typical post-recovery track would have been GDP growth at 3-4%. Those are just based upon historic norms. While Obama's recovery was sustained, the per quarter growth was relatively poor by comparison to past recoveries. The reasons and causes for that relatively poor growth can be debated, but there was fact in what the WSJ was arguing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:14 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

Right. Lefties will never give credit to Trump regardless of what he does, and righties will never give credit to Obama for anything. It's how it goes.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:15 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Why?

Because they were completely wrong about the election.

They really weren't though:

Poll Date Sample MoE

Final Results -- -- -- 48.2 46.1 Clinton +2.1
RCP Average 11/1 - 11/7 -- -- 46.8 43.6 Clinton +3.2

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -5491.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:15 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

Its funny to hear the constant spinning of the election too. Its almost as if people are trying to find absolution for voting the jerk.

Mondale and McGovern lost against established, popular candidates running for a 2nd term. No candidate from their party ever could have won in 1972 or 1984.

Hillary ran against a fucking reality TV star who had more bankruptcies and gaffes than any modern politician. She lost to him, largely because she had a poor message and campaign strategy. Losing to Donald Trump easily makes her the worst Presidential candidate to ever seek the office.

It doesn't matter what the circumstances happened to be. Mondale lost the election by 48 states. She received more of the popular vote. She wasn't a worse candidate.

If Reality TV star was the disqualifier that you make it out to be he'd never have made it to the general in the first place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next