It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shut It Down
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:59 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Identity politics have been a staple of the Republican Party since 1968. I laugh each and every time myth purveyors attempt to make the case that it somehow started with Obama or other Dems. Its a damn joke. If Dems reach out to these groups its because the Republicans have first shunned them. Southern Strategists first excluded "the blacks" and the Christian Coalition religous rights double down with their exclusion of homosexuals.

That is the history. That can't be ignored. Maybe on this board it can because each time "identity" politics charge is levied it is a placed on Dems. Its simply false.

Nobody in this thread has said anything to the contrary. Republicans initializing the trend doesn't excuse democrats from diving head first into it the last decade or two either.

They ignore it each and every time though. i along with Reader are the only two people that constantly harp on this. Do we also want to delve into the counter culture backlash exhibited by Conservatives during the 60's. Where was the all inclusive philosophy in that? What about the double talk regarding freedom of speech (unless it runs counter to one's political views) freedom of religion (unless one happen's to be Muslim) Freedom of Assembly (Unless one protests against the President or War) that often emanates from Republican circles. To oppose war will deem you unpatriotic remember.

Republicans have been promoters of the belief that the country is going to hell in a handbasket for a long time. There is an incessant need to constantly demonize "the others" regardess of who they happened to be

Did Trump with all of his racist and xenophobic talk attempt to quell identity politics?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
FavreFan wrote:
Nobody in this thread has said anything to the contrary. Republicans initializing the trend doesn't excuse democrats from diving head first into it the last decade or two either.

Right. I'm not really discussing identity politics. I don't agree with Republican platforms. I'm saying what the Democratic party is becoming or has become is not good and people won't vote for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:04 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
long time guy wrote:

That's the case with any candidate. She is a polarizing political figure but so was Donald Trump. There are a number of people that voted for her too.

Deplorables! :lol:

Hillary is an awful person and awful candidate. The Democratic party force fed her to us, nobody else was even in the running. I do not disagree with you that there are a lot of racist voters or bigoted people that like Trump's message. I do not believe those people are the ones that turned the election in the states of MI, WI, PA, OH, or FL though. I have no data (and I'm not going to look) but I would suspect those are the states they lost the female vote. The Democratic party is turning people away from it.

Is she a worse person than Trump? Do you really want to argue that one?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:05 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Right. I'm not really discussing identity politics. I don't agree with Republican platforms. I'm saying what the Democratic party is becoming or has become is not good and people won't vote for it.

She received in excess of 3 million more votes than Trump though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Identity politics have been a staple of the Republican Party since 1968. I laugh each and every time myth purveyors attempt to make the case that it somehow started with Obama or other Dems. Its a damn joke. If Dems reach out to these groups its because the Republicans have first shunned them. Southern Strategists first excluded "the blacks" and the Christian Coalition religous rights double down with their exclusion of homosexuals.

That is the history. That can't be ignored. Maybe on this board it can because each time "identity" politics charge is levied it is a placed on Dems. Its simply false.

They ignore it each and every time though. i along with Reader are the only two people that constantly harp on this.
Do we also want to delve into the counter culture backlash exhibited by Conservatives during the 60's. Where was the all inclusive philosophy in that? What about the double talk regarding freedom of speech (unless it runs counter to one's political views) freedom of religion (unless one happen's to be Muslim) Freedom of Assembly (Unless one protests against the President or War) that often emanates from Republican circles. To oppose war will deem you unpatriotic remember.

Republicans have been promoters of the belief that the country is going to hell in a handbasket for a long time. There is an incessant need to constantly demonize "the others" regardess of who they happened to be

Did Trump with all of his racist and xenophobic talk attempt to quell identity politics?

Just a few days ago I supported RR on rightly criticizing the Republicans role in this...

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=110426&start=120#p2885865

But you can correctly call out the Republicans while also criticizing the Democrats for it. It's not mutually exclusive. I have no issues whatsoever with a black man or woman saying they will never vote for a Republican because of the party's history. Likewise, it's hard to fault white people for voting for Republicans when Democrats only message in 2016 was that white men need to shut up and listen and stop being problematic.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:12 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Government shutdown over. Apocalypse averted.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:20 pm 

She beat him by 4 million votes in California. That will always happen.

I'm not arguing identity politics and I understand why the sub groups in the Democratic party aren't voting Republican and I don't blame them. I think what I'm trying to say is the people in the midwestern states and FL that turned this specific election aren't racist. Something or someone in this election turned those votes away. I don't think or get the feeling they were on board the Trump train as much as they were off the Hillary or Democratic train.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
pittmike wrote:

Are you pleased the can was kicked down the road once again?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:24 pm 

long time guy wrote:

I don't think it's as big of a gap as you believe it is. Again, I don't think you realize how many people hate her. Right or not, rational or not, people hate her.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Dreamers better start looking into U-Hauls to go back to fucking Mexico

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:29 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
She beat him by 4 million votes in California. That will always happen.

I'm not arguing identity politics and I understand why the sub groups in the Democratic party aren't voting Republican and I don't blame them. I think what I'm trying to say is the people in the midwestern states and FL that turned this specific election aren't racist. Something or someone in this election turned those votes away. I don't think or get the feeling they were on board the Trump train as much as they were off the Hillary or Democratic train.

Typically when people don't like either person they stay home. If their was such apathy for Trump he never would have been elected President. As much as people like Ogie and Jorr want to make him the default choice he really wasn't. THey had a chance to vote for 16 other people and they didn't. In fact he ran away with the primaries too. Were they all hated too? I doubt it.

There was nothing about Trump which spoke of being Presidential. As people go he is rather despicable. His treatment of minorities and small business owners is well documented. Upon being elected he was forced to settle a class action case which involved fraud.

This is what the country wanted and this is what we got. I'm comfortable with it at this juncture and a big part of me believes that he will be reelected. When he is the same apologists will be out in force attempting to pontificate on how his incumbency helped fuel his reelection. If he'd never defeated Hillary in the first place then he wouldn't be in position to be reelected. That will be part of the empty rhetoric.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:32 pm 

pittmike wrote:

The person who started this thread must feel really stupid now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:36 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:

Why do you post?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:48 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

Another Joe Orr job offer?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:52 pm 

long time guy wrote:

Typically when people don't like either person they stay home. If their was such apathy for Trump he never would have been elected President. As much as people like Ogie and Jorr want to make him the default choice he really wasn't. THey had a chance to vote for 16 other people and they didn't. In fact he ran away with the primaries too. Were they all hated too? I doubt it.

There was nothing about Trump which spoke of being Presidential. As people go he is rather despicable. His treatment of minorities and small business owners is well documented. Upon being elected he was forced to settle a class action case which involved fraud.

This is what the country wanted and this is what we got. I'm comfortable with it at this juncture and a big part of me believes that he will be reelected. When he is the same apologists will be out in force attempting to pontificate on how his incumbency helped fuel his reelection. If he'd never defeated Hillary in the first place then he wouldn't be in position to be reelected. That will be part of the empty rhetoric.

Nationally 2M more people voted Republican in the 2016 election than in the 2012 election. I don't think that's a huge amount nor do I think racism was the motivating factor. IMO Trump should have been dissmissed? in the primaries if a party can do that. There is nothing Presidential about Trump, but honestly I think that was a draw for some. Had it not been him or someone like him I'd consider voting again for a nonpolitical/nonpresidential/nonpolitician. I don't really know how or what happened but can offer a thought. I do know the media age we live in and I don't pay attention to politics. I could name one other person running in the primaries and nobody is voting for Ted Cruz. His celebrity, and sound bytes put him front and center. Essentially if the Republican party is what you believe it is, isn't every candidate going to have the same platform or same message?

This country didn't really want either or half wanted one and not the other or half just didn't want one of them. I don't think most people that voted for Trump wanted "him" per se. I think that is an understandable but emotional response from you.

He will be reelected if the Democratic party continues down the path it is on. It is actively turning away people that once supported it.

Last edited by Spaulding on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:54 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Spaulding wrote:
I don't think it's as big of a gap as you believe it is. Again, I don't think you realize how many people hate her. Right or not, rational or not, people hate her.

I completely agree with this.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:10 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
pittmike wrote:

The person who started this thread must feel really stupid now.

Sure joke.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Kirkwood wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

Why do you post?

Someone has to make up for your low T

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:35 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Again I agree with this. Many hate her but the best that we could come up with was Donald Trump? Donald Trump will go down as the most reprehensible human being to ever hold that office. Think about that for a second. If anyone is wondering what his legacy will be that is it. He has no redeeming qualities as a person.

If people are going to make the argument as to who the better person happens to be its Hillary hands down.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:37 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

Why do you post?

Someone has to make up for your low T

Ah, the Panther bit. Interesting choice.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:59 pm 

long time guy wrote:
If people are going to make the argument as to who the better person happens to be its Hillary hands down.

:lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:01 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
RFDC wrote:
long time guy wrote:

:lol: apparently not.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:03 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Saint Hillary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
Saint Hillary

with a rose
In and out of consciousness she goes
Country garden in the wind and the rain
Wherever she goes the people all complain

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:11 pm 

The non support yet non stop defense of Trump has to be among the more conflicting of things for certain individuals on this board. It must really be difficult for them to argue for a guy that none of them seems to support. As long as they can keep the "But Hillary" "Liberal Media" and "But Obama" triangulation churning they will never be forced to admit that they simply support the clown. It is truly one of the more interesting of dynamics presently going.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:12 pm 

Making a woman who stayed with an obviously consistently unfaithful husband the face of the women's.... whatever was probably a bad idea.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:15 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Making a woman who stayed with an obviously consistently unfaithful husband the face of the women's.... whatever was probably a bad idea.

And that she lost an election to a known womanizer.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:16 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

Was voting for a serial adultering, racist, sexual assalting, scam artist, xenophobic liar necessarily a good idea?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:21 pm 

long time guy wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Was voting for a thrice married serial adultering, racist, sexual assalting, scam artist, xenophobic liar among other things necessarily a good idea?

Not necessarily a good idea.

Didn't need a good idea to beat HillDog.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
long time guy wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Was voting for a serial adultering, racist, sexual assalting, scam artist, xenophobic liar necessarily a good idea?

One of these two "bad ideas" promised a large number of Americans that their job would either be secure, or return to them. That bad idea won. This is not a coincidence.

You keep insisting that millions of Americans should have voted against their own interest (relative to statements of intent by the respective candidates) in order to not elect a Bad Person, and that's just unreasonable.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next