It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Israel
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
good dolphin wrote:
Ireland was sympathetic to the Nazis as well

Did they take up arms with them? Was there entire units in the S.S. made up of Irish?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
good dolphin wrote:

Belfast got bombed pretty good by the Luftwaffe.

I dont think they were necessarily sympathetic to the Nazi's as much as they were not interested in playing nice with Churchill or the British Empire.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:25 pm 

America wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I dont think they were necessarily sympathetic to the Nazi's as much as they were not interested in playing nice with Churchill or the British Empire.

Northern Ireland= UK
Ireland= Republic of Ireland

I do agree with your last sentence. It's like me hating camps that help kids with cancer because Bernstein supports them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
good dolphin wrote:
America wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Northern Ireland= UK
Ireland= Republic of Ireland

I do agree with your last sentence. It's like me hating camps that help kids with cancer because Bernstein supports them.

the Republic of Ireland sent over 40,000 troops to fight with the Allies, which is not bad for a neutral country

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:56 am 

long time guy wrote:

There wasn't an "Israel" at the end of WWII. The same animosity that existed in the Middle East would have existed elsewhere. Do you believe that the Germans would have been able to put up much resistance if a Jewish state would have been carved out in Germany? You simply don't know what you are talking about.

Germany was carved into 2 zones with foreign powers essentially controlling each zone. If a sliver of German land was carved out for the purpose of creating a "Jewish state" they wouldn't have had to power to prevent it. It could have been implemented as part of reparations and the Germans would have simply had to get over it shit.

They had more of a moral and ethical high ground to create a Jewish state in Europe than anywhere. Most of the World wide Anti Semitism exists there.

Again Europeans (which with each statement you make further validates what I am saying) would rather have the "Jewish nuisance" exist in the Middle East. That is all it happens to be.

I have several books on this and I will go back and reread them. It has been a few years. Basic facts remain the same However.

Now this.

long time guy wrote:
Russia had more of a right to Germany than the U.S. did. They were invaded twice by Germany. The U.S. wasn't. They also were the primary reason Germany was defeated.

Ever heard of the phrase "to the victor goes the spoils"?

We defeated Japan and rightfully had a right to occupy it. They were chiefly responsible for the defeat of Germany. They had more of a claim to occupation than we did as a result.

What does any of this have to do with the claims made by Cold Warriors that they were attempting to conquer the world?

Conquering a country that invaded them doesn't imply this necessarily.

So, shouldn't the "victors" get to determine what happened with the land now known as Israel?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:57 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Oh my god he really is a tankie.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:16 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

There wasn't an "Israel" at the end of WWII. The same animosity that existed in the Middle East would have existed elsewhere. Do you believe that the Germans would have been able to put up much resistance if a Jewish state would have been carved out in Germany? You simply don't know what you are talking about.

Germany was carved into 2 zones with foreign powers essentially controlling each zone. If a sliver of German land was carved out for the purpose of creating a "Jewish state" they wouldn't have had to power to prevent it. It could have been implemented as part of reparations and the Germans would have simply had to get over it shit.

They had more of a moral and ethical high ground to create a Jewish state in Europe than anywhere. Most of the World wide Anti Semitism exists there.

Again Europeans (which with each statement you make further validates what I am saying) would rather have the "Jewish nuisance" exist in the Middle East. That is all it happens to be.

I have several books on this and I will go back and reread them. It has been a few years. Basic facts remain the same However.

Now this.

long time guy wrote:
Russia had more of a right to Germany than the U.S. did. They were invaded twice by Germany. The U.S. wasn't. They also were the primary reason Germany was defeated.

We defeated Japan and rightfully had a right to occupy it. They were chiefly responsible for the defeat of Germany. They had more of a claim to occupation than we did as a result.

What does any of this have to do with the claims made by Cold Warriors that they were attempting to conquer the world?

So, shouldn't the "victors" get to determine what happened with the land now known as Israel?

Yep!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:29 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Rick never forgets.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:36 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Rick never forgets.

I'm proving to JLN that I don't just do it to WFR.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:55 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Rick never forgets.

His avatar should be the Sphinx

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Rick never forgets.

Don't just do what? That thing that you swear you don't do but have twice today tried to preempt? Good job, Rick.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:09 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Rick never forgets.

Don't just do what? That thing that you swear you don't do but have twice today tried to preempt? Good job, Rick.

I remember what someone said previously and will reference it in a thread that I feel is relevant. It's not any specific person I'm doing it to.

Though, it was ironic that you brought me into a discussion in a thread I wasn't even reading until I was bored enough to click on it today referencing a previous post I made.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Rick never forgets.

I remember what someone said previously and will reference it in a thread that I feel is relevant. It's not any specific person I'm doing it to.

Though, it was ironic that you brought me into a discussion in a thread I wasn't even reading until I was bored enough to click on it today referencing a previous post I made.
Oh the BRicky thing? I thought it was a clever joke. I'm gonna use that again but try to not be as wrong when I do.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:45 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Rick never forgets.

Oh the BRicky thing? I thought it was a clever joke. I'm gonna use that again but try to not be as wrong when I do.

See. We can be friends. Unlike WFR who can't take a joke.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:46 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Now this.

long time guy wrote:

Don't do it yourself Brick. Please don't. You're going to look rather foolish if you actually believe that they are one and the same thing but when has looking foolish ever stopped you before?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:50 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Rick never forgets.

Hopefully your gotchas work better in those instances.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:04 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Now this.

long time guy wrote:

No. Germany invaded Russia twice. Germany declared War on Russia after signing a neutrality pact.
Can you provide evidence of the Palestinians invading Israel before there was an Israel?

If not then your argument is rather frivolous.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:26 am 

long time guy wrote:
No. Germany invaded Russia twice. Germany declared War on Russia after signing a neutrality pact.
Can you provide evidence of the Palestinians invading Israel before there was an Israel?

Ogie would know better than me but I am certain that someone attacked Israel to force them to leave their traditional homeland. Palestine wasn't a formal country so it would be hard for them to invade Israel before it was a country. That's a strange question.

However, you seem to be misunderstanding. The "winners" of WWII decided what was to do be done with Germany. You established that military victories determine who has the right to either rule or turn over the land. Britain controlled the land and decided that Israel should exist there. If Russia had a claim not only to East Germany but also West Germany and all of the Baltic States and a good portion of Europe then it only makes sense that the military victories means the "victors" get to decide what happens.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:47 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Ogie would know better than me but I am certain that someone attacked Israel to force them to leave their traditional homeland. Palestine wasn't a formal country so it would be hard for them to invade Israel before it was a country. That's a strange question.

However, you seem to be misunderstanding. The "winners" of WWII decided what was to do be done with Germany. You established that military victories determine who has the right to either rule or turn over the land. Britain controlled the land and decided that Israel should exist there. If Russia had a claim not only to East Germany but also West Germany and all of the Baltic States and a good portion of Europe then it only makes sense that the military victories means the "victors" get to decide what happens.

Before you start going way out in left field on Germany I'm comfortable with the division as it was allocated. Never said that I wasn't but if there were to be any claims made then Russia had much more of a claim to the land than does the U S.
Just like the U.S. had more of a claim to occupying Japan.

As far as Israel goes there isn't much of a comparison. There was no "Israeli state" prior to 1948. The land was over 90% Palestinian prior to the Balfour Declaration. There was no war over the land prior to 1948 either.

If there was to be a State created it should have been for the group that comprised over 90% of the population. Plain and simple and if "Palestinians" didn't exist then it should have been for whatever the group was that happened to reside there.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:54 am 

long time guy wrote:
Before you start going way out in left field on Germany I'm comfortable with the division as it was allocated. Never said that I wasn't but if there were to be any claims made then Russia had much more of a claim to the land than does the U S.
Just like the U.S. had more of a claim to occupying Japan.
No, it's exactly the same. You even defended Russia's expansion and control of other countries. You said they would have been justified in taking over all of Germany too because the "victor go the spoils".

long time guy wrote:
As far as Israel goes there isn't much of a comparison. There was no "Israeli state" prior to 1948. The land was over 90% Palestinian prior to the Balfour Declaration. There was no war over the land prior to 1948 either.
It was controlled by Britain, who had won it in war. So, let them decide what to do with it. There was no East Germany or West Germany either prior to it being created.

long time guy wrote:
If there was to be a State created it should have been for the group that comprised over 90% of the population. Plain and simple and if "Palestinians" didn't exist then it should have been for whatever the group was that happened to reside there.
If you had won that military victory, then it would have been your choice to do it that way. The "victor" chose differently. You are now required by the message board thread consistency code to now acknowledge that you were wrong.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:57 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
long time guy wrote:
As far as Israel goes there isn't much of a comparison. There was no "Israeli state" prior to 1948. The land was over 90% Palestinian prior to the Balfour Declaration.

There was no such thing as "Palestinian" identity before the 60s.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:00 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:
As far as Israel goes there isn't much of a comparison. There was no "Israeli state" prior to 1948. The land was over 90% Palestinian prior to the Balfour Declaration.

That's the pretty funny thing here and it's why I brought this discussion over. ltg was all aboard the Russia train when they were FAR worse to the Baltic States they took over by force than Israel has ever been to the Palestinians and pretty much all of those groups of people had actually been documented countries for hundreds or thousands of years in one way or another. ltg's excuse, I believe, was "security". Well, so extend the same excuse to Israel.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:01 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:

They were Arabs however. And since there was no ""Palestine" as you and others keep claiming then the original provision of the Balfour Declaration must have been invalid then shouldn't it?

What is the Balfour Declaration?
The Balfour Declaration ("Balfour's promise" in Arabic) was a public pledge by Britain in 1917 declaring its aim to establisha national home for the Jewish people" in Palestine.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:04 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:

That's the pretty funny thing here and it's why I brought this discussion over. ltg was all aboard the Russia train when they were FAR worse to the Baltic States they took over by force than Israel has ever been to the Palestinians and pretty much all of those groups of people had actually been documented countries for hundreds or thousands of years in one way or another. ltg's excuse, I believe, was "security". Well, so extend the same excuse to Israel.

If there was no Palestine then how do you explain this?
Since there was no Palestinian land then how do you know that they specifically meant this particular piece of land?
The Balfour Declaration ("Balfour's promise" in Arabic) was a public pledge by Britain in 1917 declaring its aim to establisha national home for the Jewish people" in Palestine.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:06 am 

long time guy wrote:
It's a place that exists. Schaumburg exists but there isn't a Schaumburgian people.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:06 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:

My biggest issue with it is that occupations, invasions, partitions, etc. happen all the time and have throughout history, but it's only Israel that incites a special kind of ire. I think any reasonable person might wonder why that is.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:10 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I'm not speaking to the gloriousness of Russia but if you want to play the moralism game regarding the Cold War then let's do it. Once I go down that road regarding all of the atrocities committed by the U.S. then you and the others will pivot to the Anti American crap again.

You can't have it both ways Brick(as you are currently doing with Palestine) either you are for morality or you aren't.

Either Palestine is a state or it's not.

Last edited by long time guy on Wed May 27, 2020 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:10 am 
Site Admin

long time guy wrote:
They were Arabs however. And since there was no ""Palestine" as you and others keep claiming then the original provision of the Balfour Declaration must have been invalid then shouldn't it?

I never said there was no Palestine. I said there was no "Palestinian" identity. If you want to call anyone who is a resident of Palestine "Palestinian" I'd have no problem with it. But you know that isn't what a "Palestinian" is. If it were, plenty of Jews would be "Palestinians".

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:11 am 
Site Admin

long time guy wrote:
Either Palestine is a state or it's not.

It's not. And never was.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:11 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
It's a place that exists. Schaumburg exists but there isn't a Schaumburgian people.

Nah Brick. According to you it didn't exist remember? Now it's a place that exists? WYC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next