It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Quincy Jones
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
I've found most people who think the Beatles suck are really just sick of listening to the Beatles.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
America wrote:
I've found most people who think the Beatles suck are really just sick of listening to the Beatles.

Cool story, bro.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:11 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Without Quincy Jones we'd think of Michael Jackson as "that little dude in the Jackson 5".

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
sjboyd0137 wrote:
America wrote:

Cool story, bro.

You're retarded.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:12 pm 

America wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
America wrote:

Cool story, bro.

You're retarded.

Interesting theory.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
sjboyd0137 wrote:
America wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
America wrote:

Cool story, bro.

You're retarded.

Interesting theory.

valid theory though

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Michael got the catalog, but he's dead. Paul? Still living.

Winner-Paul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
“I actually had two brain aneurysms,” explains Jones.

I'm out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:42 pm 

chaspoppcap wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
America wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
America wrote:

Cool story, bro.

You're retarded.

Interesting theory.

valid theory though

Pretty sure you have no room to chime in on this one, champ...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:44 pm 

Takes one to know one!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:49 pm 

chaspoppcap wrote:
Takes one to know one!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Gigio's in Des Plaines
sjboyd0137 wrote:
America wrote:
I'm really over this people who harp on about the Beatles being overrated like that thought is somehow edgy or novel. Often its not even grounded in any real point. WELL THEY NEVER PLAYED LIVE.

Can I still hate the Beatles because I think their music sucks?

Hopefully you’re just a sorry-ass millennial whose opinion could never mean anything in the first place, but if not, then you should really be ashamed of yourself. To say that you’re not a fan is one thing, but to claim that they outright suck?

Let’s get a list of your top 5 groups just for laughs. Bush? Chumbawumba?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
America wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:10 pm 

whiskey dick wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
America wrote:
I'm really over this people who harp on about the Beatles being overrated like that thought is somehow edgy or novel. Often its not even grounded in any real point. WELL THEY NEVER PLAYED LIVE.

Hopefully you’re just a sorry-ass millennial whose opinion could never mean anything in the first place, but if not, then you should really be ashamed of yourself. To say that you’re not a fan is one thing, but to claim that they outright suck?

1. Go fuck yourself, cocksucker.
2. No...that's really about it. My musical tastes are known by MANY around here, and don't require an actual explanation.

I know reading is hard, but I never said they suck...I just think their music does. I find their production to be influential in bands I do like, and that's just dandy, but in no world is a song like Hey Jude better than, say, Sympathy for the Devil, or I Wanna Hold Your Hand better than, say, You Really Got Me.

Last edited by sjboyd0137 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:12 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
whiskey dick wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
America wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
boyd a millennial ..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:14 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
boyd a millennial ..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, that might have been my favorite part of his little comment. I do love how sensitive Beatle-maniacs get when I shit on the music.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:15 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
sjboyd0137 wrote:
I know reading is hard, but I never said they suck...I just think their music does. I find their production to be influential in bands I do like, and that's just dandy, but in no world is a song like Hey Jude better than, say, Sympathy for the Devil, or I Wanna Hold Your Hand better than, say, You Really Got Me.

I'll take "Hey Jude" (which isn't a perfect song, the coda is a little indulgent) over "You Can't Always Get What You Want" if we're gonna play this game. I think that's a better 1:1 comparison if we're doing Long Orchestral Songs. And the riff on "You Really Got Me" is one of the all-time greats, I mean, how many '60s rock songs are better than that one?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:19 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

I'll take "Hey Jude" (which isn't a perfect song, the coda is a little indulgent) over "You Can't Always Get What You Want" if we're gonna play this game. I think that's a better 1:1 comparison if we're doing Long Orchestral Songs. And the riff on "You Really Got Me" is one of the all-time greats, I mean, how many '60s rock songs are better than that one?

Yeah, the sing along at the end of Hey Jude is enough to make me want to jam ice picks in my ears....You Can't Always Get What You Want is possibly one of the worst parts of the Late 60's era Stones...

There are a handful of Beatles songs I do enjoy...I think A Day in the Life is great. I like the White Album in small doses, and Abbey Road has some ok selections as well...but that early pop garbage is an auditory abortion that didn't have the convenience of a back alley coat hanger doctor.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:20 pm 

Until rubber soul or maybe revolver the Beatles were just plain boring bubble gum. There is a place for music such as this. But the wanna hold your hand Beatles are just... unimaginative. I don't think the6 really hit their stride in terms of innovation and just plain being interesting until sgt peppers. White album gets an a+. Yellow submarine a solid d+.
Sure. People say they changed everything. Maybe they did but it was a small part of their catalogue during a short timeframe that anything they did was interesting.
They're kinda like Simon and garfunkle or Neil diamond to me. I know the actual quality of the work is high but it's just not fun.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:20 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Anything Hendrix did

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:26 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Until rubber soul or maybe revolver the Beatles were just plain boring bubble gum. There is a place for music such as this. But the wanna hold your hand Beatles are just... unimaginative. I don't think the6 really hit their stride in terms of innovation and just plain being interesting until sgt peppers.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. They were showing flashes of interesting stuff since the first album ("There's a Place," "Misery," I always liked the harmony on "Please Please Me" where one stays on the tonic while the other descends the scale but that may just be me) that just didn't get noticed. Beatles for Sale was when people really started taking note of their depth, to say nothing of Rubber Soul and Revolver, which you somehow omitted.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:28 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Until rubber soul or maybe revolver the Beatles were just plain boring bubble gum. There is a place for music such as this. But the wanna hold your hand Beatles are just... unimaginative. I don't think the6 really hit their stride in terms of innovation and just plain being interesting until sgt peppers.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. They were showing flashes of interesting stuff since the first album ("There's a Place," "Misery," I always liked the harmony on "Please Please Me" where one stays on the tonic while the other descends the scale but that may just be me) that just didn't get noticed. Beatles for Sale was when people really started taking note of their depth, to say nothing of Rubber Soul and Revolver, which you somehow omitted.

I did not omit them.

Look I'm not saying it's garbage or shit. I simply am not entertained by it. I stresses that the technical quality of the music is high.

Why do Beatles fans get so upset when people don't like the beatles?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:31 pm 

Darkside speaking truth once again.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:36 pm 

But to say they didn't "hit their stride" until Sgt Peppers is ridiculous! That album isn't even as good as the two before it! It's just the one people like because of the cover! And "A Day in the Life," which is their best song, but still!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:58 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
But to say they didn't "hit their stride" until Sgt Peppers is ridiculous! That album isn't even as good as the two before it! It's just the one people like because of the cover! And "A Day in the Life," which is their best song, but still!

Well, that's just my opinion. I also think Picasso is a shitty artist wanna dump on me for that too?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:02 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Well, that's just my opinion. I also think Picasso is a shitty artist wanna dump on me for that too?

Depends ,What are your thoughts on Pollard?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
chaspoppcap wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Depends ,What are your thoughts on Pollard?

Who? :lol:

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:21 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Now you've done it :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
I prefer I've just seen a face or Don't let me down to a day in the life but whatever. I'm sure someone will explain why my opinion is wrong.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next