It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
1. Yes, actually. That is the routine justification for punishing motive in this particular instance: Someone who steals bread because they're hungry will be satisfied, but someone who does so because of the shopkeeper's religion is likely to do it again. Hell, "badges and incidents [of slavery]" is the phrase still referenced by courts that uphold challenges to hate crime laws—enhanced punishments for "hate crimes" are alright because those crimes might still be tied to the institution of slavery.
No it isn't. The justification is that it is meant to inflict fear among a group of people rather than just an individual person, just like the difference between terrorism and murder..

Are you saying "badges and incidents" is not still cited by courts upholding hate crime laws? :lol:
I have no idea.

https://www.ca10.uscourts.gov/opinions/12/12-2040.pdf

CTRL+F, "badges and incidents".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:14 pm 

No thanks. Don't care.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:19 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
No thanks. Don't care.

Then you can stop talking about what actually is used to justify hate crime laws.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:21 pm 

America wrote:
long time guy wrote:
America wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
In regards to Laquan McDonald, you could say the same thing. Why did his death have to be politicized? Not trying to defend the idiot cop in that case, that was ridiculous and I have no why his friends in the force covered for him.

Laquan McDonald was loaded on PCP, breaking into cars and stumbling down Pulaski waving a knife at people. Bauer was trying to protect the city by arresting a criminal that the courts had failed FOUR times at putting away before.

One's a hero, the other is a common drug addict/criminal. You need to have a fucking mental problem to think you can relate the two.

Laquan McDonald should have been arrested and not killed.

I don't think that anyone is excusing the behavior of the guy yesterday either.

For the record I'm one of the people that don't make cops out to be the bad guy either.

There are good ones and there are bad ones. I think the good ones outweigh the bad ones.

I'll be shocked if there are mass protests for Officer Bauer that shut down parts of the Loop. Even though the circumstances that led to Bauer's death are infinitely more enraging than McDonald's and 10,000 Laquan McDonald's aren't worth one Paul Bauer.

The protests weren't about the life of Laquan McDonald as much they were about the senseless killing and attempted coverup of another human being by the police. It was also about the history of police getting away with such offenses. If the police were charged with the crime in the beginning there wouldn't have been protests.

The protests were in this instance both about the crime and the coverup.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
lol @ cover up

there was nothing to cover up. a drug addict, common criminal picked the wrong cop to wield a knife at and got put down much to benefit of broader society. there's not a lot more to it than that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:34 pm 
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
No thanks. Don't care.

Then you can stop talking about what actually is used to justify hate crime laws.

Now he's back to motive again huh? If he ever wants to be a real lawyer I hope he shows his professors all the great work he does here. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:42 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
No thanks. Don't care.

They may have the power to do so because of that but it doesn't mean they are passed because of that. I mean, your link literally has Mathew Shepard on the first page. Are you making the case that the illegality of attacks on gay people is because of slavery and attempting to remove the leftover effects of it?

Of course the concept of civil rights can trace origins back to things like slavery, which makes that part of the discussion, but hate crimes, even with it being a flawed idea, is clearly about the effect that hate crimes have on the targeted groups and not about some sort of attempt to remove remnants of slavery by making it illegal to target gay people to assault. That seems to be what you are arguing. It's that hate crimes against gay people are "more" illegal than normal assault because of the need to remove the remnants of slavery. Good luck with that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
America wrote:
lol @ cover up

there was nothing to cover up. a drug addict, common criminal picked the wrong cop to wield a knife at and got put down much to benefit of broader society. there's not a lot more to it than that.

He was a good boy, he dindu nuffin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:53 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
No thanks. Don't care.

They may have the power to do so because of that but it doesn't mean they are passed because of that. I mean, your link literally has Mathew Shepard on the first page. Are you making the case that the illegality of attacks on gay people is because of slavery and attempting to remove the leftover effects of it?

Of course the concept of civil rights can trace origins back to things like slavery, which makes that part of the discussion, but hate crimes, even with it being a flawed idea, is clearly about the effect that hate crimes have on the targeted groups and not about some sort of attempt to remove remnants of slavery by making it illegal to target gay people to assault.

That's literally what the courts reason, BRick. That was a circuit court decision upholding the federal hate crime law passed in 2009. The court even quoted legislation referencing "badges and incidents".

So yeah, stop talking about why hate crime laws exist and are upheld.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:55 pm 

Baby McNown wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
No thanks. Don't care.

Now he's back to motive again huh?

Don't you mean "intent"? Or did you finally start to comprehend the difference?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:58 pm 

That's literally what the courts reason, BRick. That was a circuit court decision upholding the federal hate crime law passed in 2009. The court even quoted legislation referencing "badges and incidents".

:lol: That is what gives them the ABILITY to do it. It's not the reason.

They do the same all the time with the Commerce Clause. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzales_v._Raich

Does the federal government ban marijuana to "regulate commerce"? No, but they do have that power because of it. They do it for another misguided notion that they can protect people and the country from danger by doing it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:03 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

They do the same all the time with the Commerce Clause. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzales_v._Raich

Does the federal government ban marijuana to "regulate commerce"? No, but they do have that power because of it. They do it for another misguided notion that they can protect people and the country from danger by doing it.

Here is Congress explicitly stating they want to eliminate racially-motivated violence because they want to eliminate "badges and incidents"

Quote:
18 U.S.C. § 249(a)(1). We refer to this as the “racial violence provision.” This is
the portion of the Act under which Hatch was charged and convicted.
Congress explicitly justified the racial violence provision under its
Thirteenth Amendment badges-and-incidents authority:
For generations, the institutions of slavery and
involuntary servitude were defined by the race, color,
and ancestry of those held in bondage. Slavery and
involuntary servitude were enforced, both prior to and
after the adoption of the 13th amendment to the
Constitution of the United States, through widespread
public and private violence directed at persons because
of their race, color, or ancestry, or perceived race, color,
or ancestry. Accordingly, eliminating racially motivated
violence is an important means of eliminating, to the
extent possible, the badges, incidents, and relics of
slavery and involuntary servitude.

Not even reformatting the PDF text because you're being such a knob about this. You were wrong about why our government passes and upholds hate crime legislation.

Last edited by Juice's Lecture Notes on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:04 pm 
Baby McNown wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
No thanks. Don't care.

Now he's back to motive again huh?

Don't you mean "intent"? Or did you finally start to comprehend the difference?

I get the difference. Keep your copy paste skills strong. I mean knowing what the fuck you are copying would be a nice touch, but baby steps kid.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:07 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Here is Congress explicitly stating they want to eliminate racially-motivated violence because they want to eliminate "badges and incidents"

Quote:
18 U.S.C. § 249(a)(1). We refer to this as the “racial violence provision.” This is

Not even reformatting the PDF text because you're being such a knob about this. You were wrong about why our government passes and upholds hate crime legislation.

So then how do you explain the provisions against gender and sexual orientation?

I mean, you could even go as far as asking why it isn't one specific race that was targeted if it is specifically about eliminating the badges, incidents, and relics of slavery and involuntary servitude.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:14 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Quote:

So then how do you explain the provisions against gender and sexual orientation?

Equal parts insulation against equal protection litigation, generally trying to do something they believe is good, and standard congressional overreach.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I mean, you could even go as far as asking why it isn't one specific race that was targeted if it is specifically about eliminating the badges, incidents, and relics of slavery and involuntary servitude.

1. The 13th says "slavery", not "enslavement of African people".

2. Equal protection concerns.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:19 pm 

Equal parts insulation against equal protection litigation, generally trying to do something they believe is good, and standard congressional overreach.
Exactly. So not just trying to fix the ills of slavery. Now, in one subsection it may very well be the reason but the larger reason for hate crimes is not that it is fixing the lasting effects of slavery.

So, why does the government ban marijuana? Is it to "regulate commerce" or is that simply what gives them the right to do it for other reasons?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:32 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Exactly. So not just trying to fix the ills of slavery. Now, in one subsection it may very well be the reason but the larger reason for hate crimes is not that it is fixing the lasting effects of slavery.

So, why does the government ban marijuana? Is it to "regulate commerce" or is that simply what gives them the right to do it for other reasons?

Why are you trying to shift the conversation to marijuana? Congress explicitly stated why they were enacting the hate crime legislation. Is it because that declared purpose doesn't align with what you've said up-and-down it actually is? :lol: Have a nice rest of your day.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:46 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Why are you trying to shift the conversation to marijuana? Congress explicitly stated why they were enacting the hate crime legislation. Is it because that declared purpose doesn't align with what you've said up-and-down it actually is? :lol: Have a nice rest of your day.
I'm bringing it in to show that the Commerce clause is cited in many laws/judgements and it doesn't mean that all of them are done to "regulate commerce" just like this being brought up doesn't mean that it was to fix the ills of slavery.

So, before you go, can you answer this with a yes or a no:
Did Congress passed a law making it a hate crime to attack a gay person because they were attempting to fix the ills of slavery?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:57 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
You guys having fun here today? Can we post about the dead cop or the killer?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:05 pm 

Charges coming...44 years old and 4 time felon. Wouldn't be surprised if Bauer recognized him by name.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Shomari K. Legghette, charged in the murder of CPD Cmdr. Paul Bauer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:18 pm 

pittmike wrote:

Preach!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:24 pm 
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Preach!

We did. Your apprentice is trying to impress you again. Hey why you should do while we're waiting is start a thread about Shawn White that flag disrespect son of a bitch.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hate crime laws, enhanced DUI punishments, and sex offender registries are all predicated on the idea that we have to punish possible recidivism now. The idea that we don't punish people because of what we think they will do is simply not true. Thinking it is moral or just is a different story, though.
Hate crime laws: No.
Enhanced DUI punishments: No.
Sex Offender Registries: Yes, but in the concept of "lock them up because they are a danger to society" we would be doing much more than a registry to them.

Let me answer the last one as I have real knowledge on this. In Illinois they do and can lock people up past the end of there listed sentence with out trail. If the person can not find a place to live,very hard with all the restrictions, then you can not be released. They can also if you are deemed a future threat hold you indefinably,again without a trail. You can be forced to move and sell your home if a daycare center is opened within the 500 foot zone of your home. It is in fact a well known tactic used by some areas to just apply and get the license to force people to move. The registry is life long no mater what you are led to belive as there is the public one and then the hidden one that law enforcement has.Add to the fact that Illinois does not acknowledge Romeo and Juliet type shit or do risk type assessment is insane.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:27 pm 

Baby McNown wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Preach!

We did. Your apprentice is trying to impress you again. Hey why you should do while we're waiting is start a thread about Shawn White that flag disrespect son of a bitch.

I've received Nigerian scam emails that are easier to read and comprehend.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:32 pm 

I dont even think the cap and gown would make this one less gnarled and scary looking.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:34 pm 
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Baby McNown wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Preach!

I've received Nigerian scam emails that are easier to read and comprehend.

I thought you were leaving. Why don't use u spew some more hypocritical bullshit hmmmm?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:15 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Shomari K. Legghette, charged in the murder of CPD Cmdr. Paul Bauer

I know that dude. He used to hoop for Dunbar back in the day. I'm pretty sure of that unless the memory is bad. Damn. If not Dunbar he is an ex hooper. i know that name and face.

If this is him and I'm sure it is I hooped with him a about 3 years ago on the old man circuit. Damn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Fucking Rham with his fake emotion shit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:09 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
LTG do you know a light skinned dude named Spider?

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next