It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:59 am 

America wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I wouldn't say that there is a line but I know that it would not be fair, even to a multiple time felon to give them a life sentence for resisting arrest or drug possession. Longer sentencing based on prior history is well deserved but if we go down the road of "this person may do something much worse than the crime we are sentencing them for and therefore we need to sentence them much harsher than they deserve based on that" then all of a sudden we are giving out a lot of life sentences because of potential future crime.

Give me one reason why a person who has already been convicted of armed robbery should get the absolute minimum sentence for possessing a defaced firearm and body armor.
No thanks. That is a mistake. The sentencing should have been harder for that.

Just not a life sentence.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:01 am 

Well he got 3 of his felonies during time he should have been in jail for the first. That is a problem.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:01 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
That just isn't how it works though. We don't sentence people based on what they could do in the future. If we did, we would have to build a lot more prisons and we already have a really high incarceration rate in this country.

If you want to be taken seriously then stop it with the liberal stuff.

Except at that point he was already CLEARLY a career criminal. If they couldn't put him away from life the least they could've done is not given him the absolute minimum sentence allowed by law. And community service for a two time felon convicted of battery and resisting arrest? Wtf is that shit?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:02 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Croissant America is getting stale. Either take it up a couple of notches or find new material.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
conns7901 wrote:
Well he got 3 of his felonies during time he should have been in jail for the first. That is a problem.

That is sickening.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
America wrote:
After three felonies, the third one (not a victimless crime) that he got community service for!, it was time to put him away. No need for him to be out on the streets anymore. Was not going to contribute lawfully to society and at that point was simply a danger to society. "But its only drug possession"--no, its not. Its everything about this guys life that was leading to moment when he killed someone who spent a career protecting the city and left behind a wife and 13 year old daughter.
That just isn't how it works though. We don't sentence people based on what they could do in the future. If we did, we would have to build a lot more prisons and we already have a really high incarceration rate in this country.

Don't make me agree with America :lol: We do do this all the time. Look at even the simplest of offenses where having priors will amp up your punishment because you have a propensity to repeat. DUI, Domestic Violence and many more.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:07 am 

conns7901 wrote:

I was under the impression that parole is served concurrent to the initial sentencing. If that is the case I dont see how one can still wind up serving less time in prison than they were initially sentenced when they are caught with a gun with no serial number, body armor and drugs during the period which they should've been in prison anyways.

I am clearly mistaken somewhere here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:08 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
If you want to be taken seriously

that ship sailed a long time ago

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
We will have to check with JLN on if that is cruel and unusual punishment.

3-Strike type stuff? I don't know, I'd have to do more reading on it. However the Booker decision I showed you yesterday says that enhance penalties need to rest on facts put before a jury and proven beyond a reasonable doubt, so I guess that's our starting point.

Quote:
He got 16 years for armed robbery. The other two were possession charges for drugs and a gun that got him like 5 years combined. He got probation for resisting arrest.

He was found in possession of a gun and body armor after doing 16 years for armed robbery, and got 3 years. Then 4 years later he committed his second violent crime, battery, and got community service. Then the drug charge. A then three-time loser with multiple instances of violence, and two gun charges probably shouldn't be given 2 years on his next offense. And a violent armed robber shouldn't do 3 years when he is found in possession of a gun (State law gives judge 2-10 year range not incorporating previous offenses). And a felon possessing body armor is a Class X felony in Illinois for which the state requires a sentence of no less than 10 years.

He shouldn't have gone away for life, but the gun/armor possession charge in 2007 should have put him away for at least 15 years, and that's using the lower rungs of the sentencing guidelines.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: Gigio's in Des Plaines
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
America wrote:
After three felonies, the third one (not a victimless crime) that he got community service for!, it was time to put him away. No need for him to be out on the streets anymore. Was not going to contribute lawfully to society and at that point was simply a danger to society. "But its only drug possession"--no, its not. Its everything about this guys life that was leading to moment when he killed someone who spent a career protecting the city and left behind a wife and 13 year old daughter.

Don't make me agree with America :lol: We do do this all the time. Look at even the simplest of offenses where having priors will amp up your punishment because you have a propensity to repeat. DUI, Domestic Violence and many more.

You missed the point.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:28 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Yesterday on the news, I saw several residents of his district being interviewed and it seemed as though this cop was definitely one of the good ones. They said he was approachable, friendly, was regularly out and about in the community, and trained his officers to be transparent with good communication skills. Seems like this country needs more cops like Bauer.

Godspeed to his family.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:37 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Yesterday on the news, I saw several residents of his district being interviewed and it seemed as though this cop was definitely one of the good ones. They said he was approachable, friendly, was regularly out and about in the community, and trained his officers to be transparent with good communication skills. Seems like this country needs more cops like Bauer.

Godspeed to his family.

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't interview anyone that would say "that guy was an asshole", Frank.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:45 am 
100000 CLUB

Try to understand something, Bob. When WGN shows multiple interviews with people from different races and walks of life, and they all pretty much say the same thing about the guy, I think its safe to assume that he was pretty good at his job.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:47 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Try to understand something, Bob. When WGN shows multiple interviews with people from different races and walks of life, and they all pretty much say the same thing about the guy, I think its safe to assume that he was pretty good at his job.

You're missing Bob's point. The news is not going to show an interview with someone who says "This cop was an asshole" on the day he was murdered.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:54 am 
100000 CLUB

Well, if Bob gets shot in the face I'll go on the 10:00 news and let the world know he was an asshole.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:54 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Well, if Bob gets shot in the face I'll go on the 10:00 news and let the world know he was an asshole.

What?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:55 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Think they will send a crew up to Wrigleyville?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:04 am 

Less than 24 hours and we're already calling the dead cop an asshole. Did I not fucking call this?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
America wrote:
Less than 24 hours and we're already calling the dead cop an asshole. Did I not fucking call this?

No "we're" not you dumb cocksucker.

Fuck man how do you manage to walk upright?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:09 am 

America wrote:

Before anyone wets their pants over this, let me translate:

"Within 24 hours there was a nearly immediate reaction by some in this thread to discredit reports that the murdered cop was a 'good one'."

And yes, in response to a post about multiple interviews from people that knew the cop and how he conducted himself and his unit, immediately replying with "well, if he was an asshole, it's not like they're going to put that on the news the day he gets killed" is unquestionably attempting to discredit that reporting. It's shameful, you who have done it should be ashamed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:11 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
America wrote:

No "we're" not you dumb cocksucker.

Fuck man how do you manage to walk upright?

The croissant is trolling Peeps, or should I say rolling?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:12 am 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
America wrote:

"Within 24 hours there was a nearly immediate reaction by some in this thread to discredit reports that the murdered cop was a 'good one'."

And yes, in response to a post about multiple interviews from people that knew the cop and how he conducted himself and his unit, immediately replying with "well, if he was an asshole, it's not like they're going to put that on the news the day he gets killed" is unquestionably attempting to discredit that reporting. It's shameful, you who have done it should be ashamed.

Stretch!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:14 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
America wrote:

Stretch!

No, not really. It is casting doubt on the narrative creative by the interviews. Casting doubt on reporting is attempting to discredit it. I should know, I cast doubt as a means to discredit, like, all the time.

Last edited by Juice's Lecture Notes on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:14 am 

America wrote:

Stop doing your fake outrage bit. You're terrible at it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: ....
Psycory wrote:
Nas wrote:
Here's what's unfortunate. I log onto Facebook and most days I see links or memes shared about something a white person did or said that is completely false by blacks. Then later I see a link or meme shared about something a person of color did or said that's completely false by whites. Makes you realize that whoever is creating and distributing this false information are winning. They're getting the hate and division they desire.

Right fucking on! I have tried to point out false info from both sides of the liberal/conservative fight. I stopped doing it after pointing out a picture that was being shared during the Ferguson riots was actually a photo from
Brazil (it showed a cop pepper spraying a woman holding a child). I was called a racist and told that 'just because the picture isn't from Ferguson doesn't mean it isn't happening in Ferguson.' I was done after that.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:16 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
America wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:17 am 

I have no doubt this officer was a solid dude. One of the good guys. I was simply replying to Frank's amazement regarding the positive interviews. Not intended to be a shot at all. Sorry if it came off that way, I do feel bad now, but at least I'm not defending child rapists..so I have that going for me...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Caller Bob wrote:
I have no doubt this officer was a solid dude. One of the good guys. I was simply replying to Frank's amazement regarding the positive interviews. Not intended to be a shot at all. Sorry if it came off that way, I do feel bad now, but at least I'm not defending child rapists..so I have that going for me...

It only came off as a shot to a brain-dead asshole.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:19 am 

Panther pislA wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Ok.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Douchebag wrote:
America wrote:

Stop doing your fake outrage bit. You're terrible at it.

I prefer the other 50% of JLN's posts where he is confused. A better fit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next