It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 846 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 29  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:48 am 

pittmike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
pittmike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I don't understand why people yell "Mental Health!" after these things.

Because that is the current go to talking point for people who don't even want to discuss the possibility that access to guns might be a problem.

Seems like the idea of banning AR-15s and those types of guns is gaining steam. Seeing people on both sides of political spectrum warming to that idea.

This is really the go to for the people that do not want to even discuss that there are larger underlying problems.

No, it's not.

Underlying problems have always, and will always be there. What do you think is going to happen? We're going to cure all mental health issues?

The difference is access to these high capacity guns.

I disagree. Do you think taking away high capacity guns (whatever those are) is going to "cure" all mass killings?

What solution do you have to cure all mass killings?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:48 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
“Guys, gals, now hear this: No one wants to take away your hunting rifles. No one wants to take away your shotguns. No one wants to take away your revolvers, and no one wants to take away your automatic pistols, as long as said pistols hold no more than ten rounds. If you can't kill a home invader (or your wife, up in the middle of the night to get a snack from the fridge) with ten shots, you need to go back to the local shooting range."

“Semi-automatics have only two purposes. One is so owners can take them to the shooting range once in awhile, yell yeehaw, and get all horny at the rapid fire and the burning vapor spurting from the end of the barrel. Their other use – their only other use – is to kill people."

“The idea that America exists in a culture of violence is bullshit. What America exists in is a culture of Kardashian.”

“We're like drunks in a barroom. No one's listening because everyone is too busy thinking about what they're going to say next, and absolutely prove that the current speaker is so full of shit he squeaks.”

“To claim that America’s “culture of violence” is responsible for school shootings is tantamount to cigarette company executives declaring that environmental pollution is the chief cause of lung cancer.”

-Stephen King, "Guns."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:50 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Because that is the current go to talking point for people who don't even want to discuss the possibility that access to guns might be a problem.

Seems like the idea of banning AR-15s and those types of guns is gaining steam. Seeing people on both sides of political spectrum warming to that idea.

Yup. It's mostly a way to deflect from the big issue.

I think that ban would be good.

Why do you think that. Maybe it is because I am infinitely familiar with the weapon in question (AR15) I really do not follow it. I can listen to those that say magazine capacity is an issue but functionally the weapon is just a semi automatic rifle. It looks really mean and cool though. About the only connection I can see in this case is if the kid had several 30 round magazines or if somehow his mentally deranged attraction to this rifle was based on menacing appearance of the gun.

I'm all for alternative solutions to that ban.

In the hunting world generally a weapon is limited by magazine or plug to only load up to 3-5 shots. You could ban any loading mechanism larger than that without taking the lawful users of weapons use away.

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:

“Semi-automatics have only two purposes. One is so owners can take them to the shooting range once in awhile, yell yeehaw, and get all horny at the rapid fire and the burning vapor spurting from the end of the barrel. Their other use – their only other use – is to kill people."

Ya, it's why my brother has one.

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
America wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
America wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
It's access to and higher quality guns that has changed right?

Not that we can really only back now but that's it.

We're not crazier. We're not bullying more. There have always been nuts and nerds.

Firearms technology has been mostly the same for over 50 years. I guess for precision shooting there have been a lot of new cartridges and rifles, but the AR-15 and 5.56 have been around forever. Darkside knows more about this than I, but "assault rifles" like the AK-47 and AR-15 are not modern weapons.

So given the major changes you wanted to make when one cop was killed including life sentences for 3 time felons what changes should be made when about 20 kids are killed?

Also, please include a rant about liberals in your answer.

I proposed no major changes in that thread, or really any thread. Killing all the burrito liberals, or at least sending them to Canada, would be a good idea though.

You wanted 3 felonies = life sentence. That's a major change.

Your posts in this thread are far different. Why is that?

I believe I said that in specific reference to that individual. The good boy, who didn't do nothing.

And Chicago street violence alone claims more lives every year than all school shootings combined. You just can't be bothered to give a shit about Chicago street violence because as long as it's the negroes and Mexicans killing each other you're cool with it. School shootings are high profile and make for great TV, but they pale in comparison to street crime.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:52 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
pittmike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

This is really the go to for the people that do not want to even discuss that there are larger underlying problems.

No, it's not.

Underlying problems have always, and will always be there. What do you think is going to happen? We're going to cure all mental health issues?

I disagree. Do you think taking away high capacity guns (whatever those are) is going to "cure" all mass killings?

Identify and somehow deal with people with that propensity beforehand. I already mentioned limit total capacity of magazines.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:54 am 

“Guys, gals, now hear this: No one wants to take away your hunting rifles. No one wants to take away your shotguns. No one wants to take away your revolvers, and no one wants to take away your automatic pistols, as long as said pistols hold no more than ten rounds. If you can't kill a home invader (or your wife, up in the middle of the night to get a snack from the fridge) with ten shots, you need to go back to the local shooting range."

“The idea that America exists in a culture of violence is bullshit. What America exists in is a culture of Kardashian.”

“We're like drunks in a barroom. No one's listening because everyone is too busy thinking about what they're going to say next, and absolutely prove that the current speaker is so full of shit he squeaks.”

“To claim that America’s “culture of violence” is responsible for school shootings is tantamount to cigarette company executives declaring that environmental pollution is the chief cause of lung cancer.”

-Stephen King, "Guns."

This is not true.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:54 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
pittmike wrote:

-Stephen King, "Guns."

This is not true.

What is the other purpose?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:55 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Mental health facilities are rarely covered by insurance.

There has been a cost cutting fueled deinstitutionalization the last decade not seen since the Reagan years.

Prisons are the new psychiatric facilities.

Plus antidepressants for the wrong people make homicidal urges more prevalent.

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/30/567477160/how-the-loss-of-u-s-psychiatric-hospitals-led-to-a-mental-health-crisis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:55 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
America wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
America wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
America wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
It's access to and higher quality guns that has changed right?

Not that we can really only back now but that's it.

We're not crazier. We're not bullying more. There have always been nuts and nerds.

Firearms technology has been mostly the same for over 50 years. I guess for precision shooting there have been a lot of new cartridges and rifles, but the AR-15 and 5.56 have been around forever. Darkside knows more about this than I, but "assault rifles" like the AK-47 and AR-15 are not modern weapons.

So given the major changes you wanted to make when one cop was killed including life sentences for 3 time felons what changes should be made when about 20 kids are killed?

Also, please include a rant about liberals in your answer.

I proposed no major changes in that thread, or really any thread. Killing all the burrito liberals, or at least sending them to Canada, would be a good idea though.

You wanted 3 felonies = life sentence. That's a major change.

Your posts in this thread are far different. Why is that?

I believe I said that in specific reference to that individual. The good boy, who didn't do nothing.

And Chicago street violence alone claims more lives every year than all school shootings combined. You just can't be bothered to give a shit about Chicago street violence because as long as it's the negroes and Mexicans killing each other you're cool with it. School shootings are high profile and make for great TV, but they pale in comparison to street crime.

this is a strange argument coming from you

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:56 am 

pittmike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
pittmike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

No, it's not.

You disagree with what?

You think access to these guns is not a reason for the spike in Mass shootings? Really?

Do you believe this young man should have been able to purchase an AR-15? If not, how would you propose stopping him?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:58 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
If you wanted to do something serious about gun deaths you'd criminalize handguns, which are definitely much more dangerous and claim many times over the amount of lives than the spooky AR-15. I could actually get behind that, but its really all about image and glocks aren't really that scary looking so I'm probably not going to find much support.

Also, the reason the pro-guns refuse to cede any ground is they are acutely aware that the long-term goal is to just repeal the 2A and ban all guns. Granting any incremental progress or momentum towards that goal brings the day it happens that much closer. They are 100% correct too, you dont have to look very hard to see that the ideological core of the left wants to ban guns as part of their great culture war.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:58 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
pittmike wrote:

-Stephen King, "Guns."

This is not true.

What is the other purpose?

Just one would be competitive shooting which most certainly is not yelling yee haw and rapid firing at beer cans. Look, semi-automatic to me is just a buzzword to me people latch onto. It is really meaningless. Full auto should scare many as well as what I mentioned before about magazine capacity.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:02 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
pittmike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
pittmike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

No, it's not.

You disagree with what?

You think access to these guns is not a reason for the spike in Mass shootings? Really?

Do you believe this young man should have been able to purchase an AR-15? If not, how would you propose stopping him?

Look just simplify it with another killing method and ask yourself the same question. Is the reason a mad man drives a semi truck into a mall full of people because there was a truck or because he was deranged?

As for this guy I am not sure. I am certain of a couple of things though. He was legally old enough to buy the weapon. He showed signs of trouble and even the FBI was contacted on him. Lastly, systems should have been in place that made that aware so he was refused the sale of the gun.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:03 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
Mental health facilities are rarely covered by insurance.

There has been a cost cutting fueled deinstitutionalization the last decade not seen since the Reagan years.

Prisons are the new psychiatric facilities.

Plus antidepressants for the wrong people make homicidal urges more prevalent.

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/30/567477160/how-the-loss-of-u-s-psychiatric-hospitals-led-to-a-mental-health-crisis

So it really isn't just guns. Cool. Now fix all of it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:06 am 

America wrote:

What?

You're a crazy person.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:08 am 

pittmike wrote:
Identify and somehow deal with people with that propensity beforehand. I already mentioned limit total capacity of magazines.
So, instead of banning the weapon that they often use, you want to scan people for a propensity for violence and lock them up?

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
America wrote:

What?

You're a crazy person.

You just now are coming to this realization?

It is a weird thing to me that society attempts one solution of another or consider that more than one fix is needed.

I do own guns, I am NOT an NRA member and I feel terrible when these incidences occur. I simply believe that banning some scary looking weapon that is not functionally different than many others is wrong.

This problem has many causes and without addressing all of them it is a waste of time. People feel they want to do something now. That is not the answer here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:10 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
So, instead of banning the weapon that they often use, you want to scan people for a propensity for violence and lock them up?

You're being an idiot. The mentally deranged identify themselves. In almost all of these cases people say that guy was off and strange. In this case specifically the fucking FBI was called.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:12 am 

America wrote:
If you wanted to do something serious about gun deaths you'd criminalize handguns, which are definitely much more dangerous and claim many times over the amount of lives than the spooky AR-15. I could actually get behind that, but its really all about image and glocks aren't really that scary looking so I'm probably not going to find much support.

Also, the reason the pro-guns refuse to cede any ground is they are acutely aware that the long-term goal is to just repeal the 2A and ban all guns. Granting any incremental progress or momentum towards that goal brings the day it happens that much closer. They are 100% correct too, you dont have to look very hard to see that the ideological core of the left wants to ban guns as part of their great culture war.

The biggest reason to repeal the 2A is if these continue to be an unsolvable problem with extreme resistance to any new legislation about it. If the gun lobby wants to fight any small incremental change then they set themselves up for enough people getting tired of it and changing the "living document" of the Constitution.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:13 am 

pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:

You're being an idiot. The mentally deranged identify themselves. In almost all of these cases people say that guy was off and strange. In this case specifically the fucking FBI was called.
There are hundreds of thousands of people who fit the same profile as this guy. Should we lock them up today?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:16 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
There are hundreds of thousands of people who fit the same profile as this guy. Should we lock them up today?
There is no way that there are "hundreds of thousands" of teenagers who have been expelled from school, and have posted messages online about being a 'professional killer,' and shooting up schools and killing law enforcement officers as this guy did.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:17 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
If people really cared about gun homicides they would be more concerned with handguns. rifles and other long guns account ~3% of annual gun homicides. Literally a drop in the bucket.

Besides, weapons like the AR-15 are the type of weapon needed for the 2nd Amendment to work as intended. It's purpose is to ensure we can adequately repel a tyrannical government, and weapons such as the AR-15 have already proven this capability. Just look at the Bundy Ranch Standoff in Nevada a few years back.

Try to limit magazine sizes, it's useless since they are now very easily 3D printed. Also good luck trying to ban AR-15s when we can now mill them in a garage or basement and actually find it cheaper than buying new by the time we get to the 3rd or 4th weapon.

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:17 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:

An idea that's been building momentum among a certain segment of people is to equip more people with guns to prevent mass killings.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:18 am 

pizza_Place: Amato's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Time to reopen the loony bins and, while we are at it, go back to 3 strikes and you're out for the losers who refuse to stay out of jail.

Last edited by Peter Puck on Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:18 am 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
pittmike wrote:
I am a little troubled about how did this kid get in the school? Maybe warm weather schools are very different but I cannot get into my kid's HS without being buzzed in and going to a security guard. I suppose as he was expelled from here he was able to blend his way in or convince a teacher or student? Or due to climate it is more of an open campus with kids going beack and forth between buildings all day?

At any rate, the usual gun talk will go on here but there has to be a larger issue. I lean toward mental illness in some form. Identifying it is a problem with privacy issues but as was said it is hard to treat effectively. Not the least of which is the "patient" themselves.

With treating people sometimes the biggest obstacle is the patient themselves. Everything from having them keep regular appointments and taking medications to them feeling they are better in some early part of the process makes it a big job.

Yes there are many weapons available to society. That said there are millions of people that never ever consider doing such a thing.

As I said school have a security budget,what is it being spent on in most schools? Parents need to be asking questions.This kind of thing,kids shooting up other kids, is I think a by product of the every child is special give hem a trophy culture. They can;t handle facing the fact that they are not the best in the world so they lash out.Suzie won't go to prom with you so go shoot up the library.Jocks pick on you shoot up the cafeteria.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:20 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Besides, weapons like the AR-15 are the type of weapon needed for the 2nd Amendment to work as intended. It's purpose is to ensure we can adequately repel a tyrannical government, and weapons such as the AR-15 have already proven this capability. Just look at the Bundy Ranch Standoff in Nevada a few years back.

are guns are the only way to overthrow tyrannical governments?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:21 am 

pizza_Place: Amato's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
If people really cared about gun homicides they would be more concerned with handguns. rifles and other long guns account ~3% of annual gun homicides. Literally a drop in the bucket.

Try to limit magazine sizes, it's useless since they are now very easily 3D printed. Also good luck trying to ban AR-15s when we can now mill them in a garage or basement and actually find it cheaper than buying new by the time we get to the 3rd or 4th weapon.

The Bundys are snowflakes who should be in jail.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:22 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
There is no way that there are "hundreds of thousands" of teenagers who have been expelled from school, and have posted messages online about being a 'professional killer,' and shooting up schools and killing law enforcement officers as this guy did.
Go read just about any popular youtube video and you'll see tons of comments that would indicate the person is "dangerous". Social media networks are hiring hundreds or thousands of people to just read these comments and either delete them and/or report them.

Now, maybe the expelled part isn't always there but many of these school shootings don't have that either. It's loner kids who like guns. There are hundreds of thousands of those kids around.

However, even if it's one thousand kids who have been expelled from school, and have posted violent messages online, should we lock them all up?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 846 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 29  Next