It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 846 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 29  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:02 pm 

pizza_Place: *
Don Tiny wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Nothing can be done. This just happens.

You'll never get rid of guns
You'll never eradicate mental health issues

Yep.

This is the new normal and we as a society just have to deal with it.

Truth. Months since Las Vegas massacre we still haven't seen any action.

Ever since we decided slaughtering elementary school children was just cost of business and required no changes the debate was over.

Everybody wants to reduce class sizes but nobody wants to accept the one sure-fire way to do so.

No traces of you, what can I do?
Alone and confused

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:04 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Brings a whole new meaning to "I'm dead bruh" on social media

You're the same nutsack that gave Beardown crap for his post about Goff and Julie.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Caller Bob wrote:
Common Sense doesnt seem so COMMON these days.

This bears repeating, Bob.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:30 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
The shitlibs must be furiously consulting their Pantone swatches to determine whether the shooter was white enough to call him Another White Male Shooter because we haven't heard too much on that front yet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Like JORR, I'm actually happy that these mass shootings are happening while President Trump is serving our country. President Trump is the only man who can solve this gun regulation problem by personally eliminating any and all barriers to gun ownership via executive order and protecting us from liberal Antifa gun-stealing burritos like Anthony Rizzo via a bullet to the head.

http://www.ontheissues.org/Archive/2016 ... _Trump.htm

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:40 pm 

I vaguely remember being taught air raid drills as a kid. I can't comfortably accept that children now have to be taught active shooter drills. Or how wide spread the idea that nothing can (or should?) be done.

17 dead at a school? Because of a nutty asshole who wanted to bring his online tough guy persona to the real world?

As human beings we have to do better.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

Like always, news media will talk about this for a week and go back to Trump. And nothing will change. Then the next one will happen and they'll do the same thing.

Might be less then a week because the news media gets more ratings with Trump. Not the day of these shooting but in the days to follow.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:46 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
I vaguely remember being taught air raid drills as a kid. I can't comfortably accept that children now have to be taught active shooter drills. Or how wide spread the idea that nothing can (or should?) be done.

17 dead at a school? Because of a nutty asshole who wanted to bring his online tough guy persona to the real world?

Well it sounds like this kid used his active shooter training and fired into the wall we are told to keep our students by during these drills.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:48 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
DannyB wrote:
Like JORR, I'm actually happy that these mass shootings are happening while President Trump is serving our country. President Trump is the only man who can solve this gun regulation problem by personally eliminating any and all barriers to gun ownership via executive order and protecting us from liberal Antifa gun-stealing burritos like Anthony Rizzo via a bullet to the head.

Anthony Rizzo doing work! Maybe his prayers will be the ones that bring much needed change.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:51 pm 

Franky T wrote:
DannyB wrote:

Anthony Rizzo doing work! Maybe his prayers will be the ones that bring much needed change.

Well he did give the school 150k in November.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:52 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
2016. The year the Cubs won the World Series and there were no major school shootings.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:52 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Like always, news media will talk about this for a week and go back to Trump. And nothing will change. Then the next one will happen and they'll do the same thing.

Might be less then a week because the news media gets more ratings with Trump. Not the day of these shooting but in the days to follow.

28-30 years ago Laurie Dann walked into a Wilmette grammar school to shoot it up and mental illness was blamed. A week later it wasn't news and cuts to public mental health spending continued on their path, with claims that nothing could be done.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:57 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
conns7901 wrote:
Franky T wrote:
DannyB wrote:

Well he did give the school 150k in November.

But he didn't give his prayers until today.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Regular Reader wrote:
Beardown wrote:

28-30 years ago Laurie Dann walked into a Wilmette grammar school to shoot it up and mental illness was blamed. A week later it wasn't news and cuts to public mental health spending continued on their path, with claims that nothing could be done.

A few years ago I met a guy who attended that grade school when the Dann shooting happened--he was in an older grade so it wasn't that close to him. I ended up reading the book that Eric Zorn co-authored about it -- it was pretty interesting. She had obvious issues but there was an argument that a psychiatrist had totally mis-medicated her & put her over the edge. I think he was also named in the civil suits v. the family. Zorn was weirdly preoccupied with her sexual proclivities.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Regular Reader wrote:

Mental illness and terrible circumstances coupled with schools/law enforcement/families/infringement on individual rights not being able to do anything. If you walked in to most schools and said give me a short list of people that are capable of this or some other horrendous act they could. The way it is set up is to not bother them or find a way to get them out of your school so they can be someone else's problem.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:17 pm 

It's access to and higher quality guns that has changed right?

Not that we can really only back now but that's it.

We're not crazier. We're not bullying more. There have always been nuts and nerds.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
rogers park bryan wrote:

We're not crazier. We're not bullying more. There have always been nuts and nerds.

Firearms technology has been mostly the same for over 50 years. I guess for precision shooting there have been a lot of new cartridges and rifles, but the AR-15 and 5.56 have been around forever. Darkside knows more about this than I, but "assault rifles" like the AK-47 and AR-15 are not modern weapons.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
A
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I'm a hardcore atheist but there's a real discussion to be had about the influence of a belief in God if not the influence of God himself. If you don't believe man is created in God's image what makes him special and immune from being killed on a whim the way one would kill a pig when he wants a BLT for dinner?

[b]B
rogers park bryan wrote:

C
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Yep.

If we can't agree on A, we have to accept C.

I'm not willing to accept C.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:31 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
A
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I'm a hardcore atheist but there's a real discussion to be had about the influence of a belief in God if not the influence of God himself. If you don't believe man is created in God's image what makes him special and immune from being killed on a whim the way one would kill a pig when he wants a BLT for dinner?

[b]B
rogers park bryan wrote:

C
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Yep.

But God forbid someone suggests banning certain types of guns, magazines and ammunition for non hunting weapons. Or closing down gun shows (?). Or bump stocks. Or having consistent background checks on a federal level.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
rogers park bryan wrote:

We were a population of 150 million in 1950, and a population of 309 million in 2010, so you would expect these shootings and stuff to double over that time frame, all else remaining constant. And from my brief wiki research, it appears to be more or less the case when you take it on an incident by incident basis. When you start looking at totals of casualties and injuries though, there's definitely an increase in totals recently as compared to back in the day.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:37 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
A
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

[b]B
rogers park bryan wrote:

C
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Yep.

Doesn't every Islamic terrorist believe in God?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:40 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

But we've never made it so easy for nuts to get semi automatic weapons, nor for cowards to get their jollies glorifying weapons they shouldn't have access to.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Don Tiny wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Yep.

Truth. Months since Las Vegas massacre we still haven't seen any action.

Ever since we decided slaughtering elementary school children was just cost of business and required no changes the debate was over.

Everybody wants to reduce class sizes but nobody wants to accept the one sure-fire way to do so.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:43 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

I don't know how to describe it or if they are mentally ill in the clinical sense. We bully less, I think but are more isolated as people and you feel it more. People aren't told they can't be assholes ever, it damages self esteem. They don't learn social skills and lots of family lives are messed up. They don't have the tools to cope. Could even be environmental factors, idk.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Regular Reader wrote:
I vaguely remember being taught air raid drills as a kid.

In the early 80's, our drills involved us climbing under our desks and holding an open book over our heads.

Regular Reader wrote:
I can't comfortably accept that children now have to be taught active shooter drills.

At my older son's school, the drills aren't taught as active shooter drills, but rather "bad guy" drills. It's unfathomable to me that this is reality now, but I'm glad they have a plan.

The last referendum in our district didn't pass. The bulk of the money was to fix roofs, heating and air conditioning systems, and to put locking doors in every school. MANY of those opposed bitched about lazy teachers and the recliners in their lounges.

Regular Reader wrote:
Or how wide spread the idea that nothing can (or should?) be done.

"It's too soon to talk about this." "We don't need to politicize a tragedy." "Thoughts and prayers." Lather, rinse, repeat.

Regular Reader wrote:

It's my worst nightmare.

Regular Reader wrote:

At the risk of sounding like Pepe Le Pew America, I feel that this is good as it is going to get. Although, I don't think society is doomed because I might see a guy in a dress wearing makeup, or because Lena Dunham something something.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Spaulding wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Mental illness and terrible circumstances coupled with schools/law enforcement/families/infringement on individual rights not being able to do anything. If you walked in to most schools and said give me a short list of people that are capable of this or some other horrendous act they could. The way it is set up is to not bother them or find a way to get them out of your school so they can be someone else's problem.

Part of the problem is that mental illness treatment is extremely expensive and has mixed success. You need to treat with extensive counseling and medications. No one wants to have their taxes increased so little Johnny can go lie down on a school psychiatrist’s couch every day, and then get prescribed free Xanax.

In fact, many of the shooters in the past decade have shown to be on anti-depressants. So much so, that there are theories that theses medications may actually cause some of these events.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
A
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

[b]B
rogers park bryan wrote:

C
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Yep.

Doesn't every Islamic terrorist believe in God?

JORR mentions much more than just a belief in God.

Which is why the belief alone is not enough.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:11 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Shooter purchased the gun legally. Mind boggling..he could purchase an AR-15 but not a beer. The Ammo-Sexual culture in this country is out of control.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:13 pm 

Heisenberg wrote:

Part of the problem is that mental illness treatment is extremely expensive and has mixed success. You need to treat with extensive counseling and medications. No one wants to have their taxes increased so little Johnny can go lie down on a school psychiatrist’s couch every day, and then get prescribed free Xanax.

In fact, many of the shooters in the past decade have shown to be on anti-depressants. So much so, that there are theories that theses medications may actually cause some of these events.

Right.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Regular Reader wrote:
But God forbid someone suggests banning certain types of guns, magazines and ammunition for non hunting weapons.

Miller, Miller, and Miller. (via Heller)

Regular Reader wrote:
Or closing down gun shows (?)

Pretty sure this is a First issue.

Regular Reader wrote:
Or bump stocks.

Maybe. Still could involve Miller.

Regular Reader wrote:
Or having consistent background checks on a federal level.

Which background checks are inconsistent?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 846 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 29  Next