It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 846 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 29  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:45 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Great. Nobody is suggesting regime change though..just stricter laws that prevent 19 year old nut jobs(and JLN) from getting guns.

What do you know that career statisticians who looked at 33,000 yearly cases do not? Nothing, is the correct answer. There are no proposed regulation answers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... bc8dc7c234

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa ... l-n2390230

- Dan Bernstein, 2016

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:53 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
mrgoodkat wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Great. Nobody is suggesting regime change though..just stricter laws that prevent 19 year old nut jobs(and JLN) from getting guns.

What do you know that career statisticians who looked at 33,000 yearly cases do not? Nothing, is the correct answer. There are no proposed regulation answers.

Two opinion pieces. You win?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Nas wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Any time you want to start debating, then, go ahead. I'll recap:

1. "Forfeiting" rights when seeking mental health treatment will surely encourage MANY gun owners to seek treatment (it won't, it will exacerbate the problem).

2. Mental health treatment doesn't culminate in an "all good" certificate or diagnosis, and we're still not really sure which mental illnesses are lifelong, recurring, curable, manageable, or what, to the degree where we can start taking people's rights away for seeking treatment.

3. It was a YouTube comment featuring his name (don't bring up the Insta post, that's unconfirmed and wasn't part of your original argument) made mention of violence, it is unknown whether he was behind the account.

4. Saying he was "given" a gun by the country and "allowed to slaughter children" is disgustingly disingenuous.

So you've told me that I was wrong (not unexpected) but I'm interested in hearing what you to see done. Remember there are no perfect solutions.

You can start by accepting Heller as the law of the land. Then you can try to legislate in the nifty little window Scalia gave and force SCOTUS to actually decide on how to classify "unusually dangerous" weapons. Then, accept that result.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Caller Bob wrote:
JLN has a bumpstock trigger here.

Making fun of people with mental health issues not a joke. Perhaps it’s time to JLN logged off and got more help.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:59 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Nas wrote:
Any time you want to start debating, then, go ahead. I'll recap:

1. "Forfeiting" rights when seeking mental health treatment will surely encourage MANY gun owners to seek treatment (it won't, it will exacerbate the problem).

2. Mental health treatment doesn't culminate in an "all good" certificate or diagnosis, and we're still not really sure which mental illnesses are lifelong, recurring, curable, manageable, or what, to the degree where we can start taking people's rights away for seeking treatment.

3. It was a YouTube comment featuring his name (don't bring up the Insta post, that's unconfirmed and wasn't part of your original argument) made mention of violence, it is unknown whether he was behind the account.

4. Saying he was "given" a gun by the country and "allowed to slaughter children" is disgustingly disingenuous.

So you've told me that I was wrong (not unexpected) but I'm interested in hearing what you to see done. Remember there are no perfect solutions.

You can start by accepting Heller as the law of the land. Then you can try to legislate in the nifty little window Scalia gave and force SCOTUS to actually decide on how to classify "unusually dangerous" weapons. Then, accept that result.

Okay.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:59 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
mrgoodkat wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Im looking for answers just like you are. Simply saying we want something doesn't make it feasible. If we put feelings over facts and statistics we won't ever accomplish anything on this, or anything else. Feelings over facts has become modus operandi for politicians, and our media. We can be better, until they are.

- Dan Bernstein, 2016

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:05 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
mrgoodkat wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
mrgoodkat wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Im looking for answers just like you are. Simply saying we want something doesn't make it feasible. If we put feelings over facts and statistics we won't ever accomplish anything on this, or anything else. Feelings over facts has become modus operandi for politicians, and our media. We can be better, until they are.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... 75fe218a5f

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:05 pm 

pizza_Place: My own
I've never understood the assumption that something MUST be done.

A person is infinitely more likely to die from a number of things than from a school shooting, terrible as they may be.

The gun debate also always surfaces after school shootings even though way more people die every day from street shootings.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

storkinastorm wrote:

A person is infinitely more likely to die from a number of things than from a school shooting, terrible as they may be.

The gun debate also always surfaces after school shootings even though way more people die every day from street shootings.

When kids are frequently being slaughtered in a place that most parents believe to be safe, WE need to try to find a solution.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
How many plane hijackings do we have nowadays? Security measures can be put in place that are highly effective.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Hatchetman wrote:
How many plane hijackings do we have nowadays? Security measures can be put in place that are highly effective.

Those security measures are nothing more than security theater. TSA fails to detect 95% of weapons when tested

http://abcnews.go.com/US/exclusive-unde ... d=31434881

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:16 pm 

well then install security theater because it has worked.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:17 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Making fun of people with mental health issues not a joke. Perhaps it’s time to JLN logged off and got more help.

Come off it, already. I told Nas to fuck off because he was being extra-specially disingenuous to the point of generally insulting.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:18 pm 

pizza_Place: My own
Nas wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:

When kids are frequently being slaughtered in a place that most parents believe to be safe, WE need to try to find a solution.

I don't want this to sound callous, because one death of a youngster is too many, but saying that kids are "frequently being slaughtered" at schools is beyond exaggeration. There are probably higher odds of being struck by lightning.

Again, one death is terrible, but exaggerating these things doesn't help the conversation.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:18 pm 
100000 CLUB

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Those security measures are nothing more than security theater. TSA fails to detect 95% of weapons when tested

I've had my hands wiped and my stuff looked through enough that I wouldn't think about bringing something on a plane. These things act as a deterrent.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:20 pm 
100000 CLUB

storkinastorm wrote:
Nas wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:

I don't want this to sound callous, because one death of a youngster is too many, but saying that kids are "frequently being slaughtered" at schools is beyond exaggeration. There are probably higher odds of being struck by lightning.

Again, one death is terrible, but exaggerating these things doesn't help the conversation.

There are dozens of schools shooting a year probably at least 1 mass shooting. Maybe the word slaughtered was too strong for most but I think you get the point.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:22 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:

Pick any basis you want (per flight, per day of flights, per year of commercial jet air travel, per number of airlines) did we really have that many before 9/11, even when counting it?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:23 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
well then install security theater because it has worked.

It really hasn't worked. The lack of an event occurring does not necessarily mean the security theater is working. It simply means no one has bothered to attempt it and based upon testing someone trying to attempt it would likely succeed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:24 pm 

Nas wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

I've had my hands wiped and my stuff looked through enough that I wouldn't think about bringing something on a plane. These things act as a deterrent.

I think you're getting profiled as that has never happened to me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Seacrest wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Come off it, already. I told Nas to fuck off because he was being extra-specially disingenuous to the point of generally insulting.

If telling someone to fuck off is indicative of mental health issues... we're gonna need a bigger ward.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:
The guy's name is Nikolas. maybe his mama in Cuba got knocked up by a Soviet sailor in Havana and he moved to Florida with a half white mission. Russia!

Cubans have all kinds of wacky Russianesque names now. Every other reliever who comes here is named "Dostoyevsky Hernandez" or something.

He calls his fastball "Crime" and his slider "Punishment".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:30 pm 

I brought a pocket knife on a plane accidentally. It got through on the way there but they caught it on the way back. 50% success.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:32 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
I brought a pocket knife on a plane accidentally. It got through on the way there but they caught it on the way back. 50% success.

anecdote.

Actual studies have proven a 90+% failure rate time and time again

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:35 pm 

Have any of these 3d printing weapons that make gun laws useless actually been used in a mass shooting?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:38 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
Have any of these 3d printing weapons that make gun laws useless actually been used in a mass shooting?

They have not as most of the people who are making such weapons are hobbyists or privacy advocates who do so to demonstrate that they can.

The CNC mill guns are a different story as I'm hearing some of those are being used in crimes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Nas wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:

How about banning all the violent films and ending the glorification of violence in film and on TV for starters? It was not always like this, where human life has been so degraded as to be worthless. And then you have the local news rolling the police report every night, so that the violence is virtually inescapable.

The federal government is just as much to blame for its militarism and endless wars. We need to bring "Make Peace, Not War" back, but peace doesn't sell.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:43 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:
Nas wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:

How about banning all the violent films and ending the glorification of violence in film and on TV for starters? It was not always like this, where human life has been so degraded as to be worthless. And then you have the local news rolling the police report every night, so that the violence is virtually inescapable.

The federal government is just as much to blame for its militarism and endless wars. We need to bring "Make Peace, Not War" back, but peace doesn't sell.

Heck the media plasters the face of the killers all over the news so that you'll never forget their names.

If you're a fucking no good loser you can either kill yourself and be forgotten or pull this shit and become infamous thanks to the media. To say they glorify this would be an understatement

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
I am curious as well.

Speech & assembly, search & seizure, voting. And I didn't say they would be but that they could be. I think it's poignant that it is the 2nd one. The first was rights to live freely and the second was a way for them to ensure and defend the first.
So, how do so many people who have never owned a gun do these things?

Also, let's use search & seizure as an example. Say I was carrying a gun, and a police officer started an illegal search and seizure of my vehicle. Is the expectation that I use my gun to stop it?

If anything, police officers would be safer to deal with in the hypothetical dream world where no civilians have guns. It would solve much of the "feared for his life" line of thinking.

Most cops are all for armed citizens.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:54 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

anecdote.

Actual studies show that a plane hasn't been hijacked in 18 years.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:57 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

anecdote.

Actual studies show that a plane hasn't been hijacked in 18 years.

and before 9/11 how common were hijackings on a US flight? I just checked the list of hijackings and I had to go back to 1987 for a US origin flight

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 846 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 29  Next