It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:42 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
I've posted my ideas or concessions in the past but I have read more than a few posts saying the gun owners are silent or are unwilling to make concessions so I thought I'd share my thoughts again. I know you can't wait.

Personally, when I think of why I own weapons, I don't think of anything more than holding my own until well trained help can arrive. I don't think I'll need to fight off the us government or a zombie apocalypse but I can see myself needing to fend off a crazed addict looking to score a few bucks for a fix or a crazy person who followed my hot wife home and intends to assault her. Therefore, my weapon needs in this regard are limited to a reliable handgun of suitable caliber to stop a large male suspect under the influence of drugs or alcohol (worst case scenario which I tend to refer to as the "Moro Warrior" scenario).

As a hunter of deer and upland game, I feel that the extent of my hunting requirements are a large caliber shotgun for upland game (using small shot) and a smaller caliber for slugs for deer. Essentially a simple 12 and 20g does just fine.

I never understood the fascination with assault weapons. To clarify, I'm using the term assault weapons as synonymous with the ar15 although that's not exactly what an assault weapon is but as that's becoming a bit of a looser term these days I thought I'd go ahead and just say that.

Therefore, I would be willing to concede that an average citizen doesn't really need that kind of weapon in order to adequately defend himself or his family, and unless a sworn peace officer or a security agent, unnecessary to own. I certainly don't think an 18 year old kid with an 18 year old brain which we know is not fully developed psychologically needs a weapon such as that. Kids of that age do not have full understanding of cause and effect nor do they have impulse control.

Illinois has on average tighter controls of getting credentials to purchase firearms than most states yet there are almost zero training requirements. Before being licensed to own a weapon I would be willing to concede that 20 to 40 hours of training on firearm safety and function should be required. Additional training or demonstration of competency for any particular model or platform you wish to purchase should also be required.

Extend waiting periods until the purchaser clears checks by local, state, and federal agencies. While we're at it run it thru INTERPOL as well because we don't need no fly or terrorist watch list individuals getting weapons either. If it takes 30 days so be it. If you really must have a gun faster than that... I kind of have to wonder why.

Any and all transfer must go thru a FFL. Absolutely no exceptions. None. For any reason. No stupid gun show exceptions, no private transfers none of that shit.

I truly don't believe magazine size is an issue. I've become quite adept in the handling of my firearms and swapping and empty for a full takes me less than a second at this point. Whether I have a Wilson combat 8 round magazine or a 17 round doublestack doesn't change the number of rounds I can fire in a minute significantly. We can talk about that if you like, I'm open to the conversation but I don't think this makes a difference.

The penalties for illegal possession of a firearm need to be stiffened significantly. I have heard of guys carrying and getting caught and essentially paying a fine. That's bullshit. If you have a weapon illegally I have to assume it's because you intend to commit a horrible crime with it. Mandatory sentences or much stiffer penalties are a big need.

These are my starting points. I'm willing to negotiate. Let's reach an accord.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:50 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
:salut: :salut: :salut: :salut:

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
You are more reasonable than most. Thank you. Now if only we were in a position to change these laws.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
IMU wrote:
You are more reasonable than most. Thank you. Now if only we were in a position to change these laws.

Is that a threat?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:56 pm 

Great ideas, but you forgot to call someone a burrito.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Darkside wrote:
I've posted my ideas or concessions in the past but I have read more than a few posts saying the gun owners are silent or are unwilling to make concessions so I thought I'd share my thoughts again. I know you can't wait.

Personally, when I think of why I own weapons, I don't think of anything more than holding my own until well trained help can arrive. I don't think I'll need to fight off the us government or a zombie apocalypse but I can see myself needing to fend off a crazed addict looking to score a few bucks for a fix or a crazy person who followed my hot wife home and intends to assault her. Therefore, my weapon needs in this regard are limited to a reliable handgun of suitable caliber to stop a large male suspect under the influence of drugs or alcohol (worst case scenario which I tend to refer to as the "Moro Warrior" scenario).

As a hunter of deer and upland game, I feel that the extent of my hunting requirements are a large caliber shotgun for upland game (using small shot) and a smaller caliber for slugs for deer. Essentially a simple 12 and 20g does just fine.

I never understood the fascination with assault weapons. To clarify, I'm using the term assault weapons as synonymous with the ar15 although that's not exactly what an assault weapon is but as that's becoming a bit of a looser term these days I thought I'd go ahead and just say that.

Therefore, I would be willing to concede that an average citizen doesn't really need that kind of weapon in order to adequately defend himself or his family, and unless a sworn peace officer or a security agent, unnecessary to own. I certainly don't think an 18 year old kid with an 18 year old brain which we know is not fully developed psychologically needs a weapon such as that. Kids of that age do not have full understanding of cause and effect nor do they have impulse control.

Illinois has on average tighter controls of getting credentials to purchase firearms than most states yet there are almost zero training requirements. Before being licensed to own a weapon I would be willing to concede that 20 to 40 hours of training on firearm safety and function should be required. Additional training or demonstration of competency for any particular model or platform you wish to purchase should also be required.

Extend waiting periods until the purchaser clears checks by local, state, and federal agencies. While we're at it run it thru INTERPOL as well because we don't need no fly or terrorist watch list individuals getting weapons either. If it takes 30 days so be it. If you really must have a gun faster than that... I kind of have to wonder why.

Any and all transfer must go thru a FFL. Absolutely no exceptions. None. For any reason. No stupid gun show exceptions, no private transfers none of that shit.

I truly don't believe magazine size is an issue. I've become quite adept in the handling of my firearms and swapping and empty for a full takes me less than a second at this point. Whether I have a Wilson combat 8 round magazine or a 17 round doublestack doesn't change the number of rounds I can fire in a minute significantly. We can talk about that if you like, I'm open to the conversation but I don't think this makes a difference.

The penalties for illegal possession of a firearm need to be stiffened significantly. I have heard of guys carrying and getting caught and essentially paying a fine. That's bullshit. If you have a weapon illegally I have to assume it's because you intend to commit a horrible crime with it. Mandatory sentences or much stiffer penalties are a big need.

These are my starting points. I'm willing to negotiate. Let's reach an accord.

Well reasoned and well stated.

You're one of the good ones.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
you just copied and pasted that from the last shooting a few weeks ago.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:58 pm 
100000 CLUB

This is easily the most thoughtful response I've seen by a gun guy. Hopefully they'll eventually be MANY more reasonable people on BOTH sides.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:59 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Darko, where do you stand on registration for guns? Something similar to vehicle registration. IMO the training absolutely needs to be implemented, and you can run the background checks to coincide with the training...which takes time.

These are all incredibly reasonable requests. IMO they do not violate my Constitutional rights either.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:01 pm 

Here is my offer.
1) 2nd amendment: Gone.
2) Anyone who has owned or held a gun: Jailed.
3) Rural America: Banned.

I'm willing to negotiate.

Last edited by Brick on Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:02 pm 
100000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Here is my offer.
1) 2nd amendment: gone.
2) Anyone who has owned or held a gun: Jailed.
3) Rural America: Banned.

I'm willing to negotiate.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:06 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
With all due respect Darkside, I don't understand why this tragedy has to be about "You". I honestly don't give a fuck about your right to bear arms. I wouldn't expect anyone to care about mine either.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
dubs

Last edited by KDdidit on Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:09 pm 
100000 CLUB

If ______ people want to own a gun, they must attend an all-day class, pass a written test, and achieve at least 95% accuracy during a shooting-range test. Then they have to pass a mental-health evaluation, which takes place at a hospital, and pass a background check, in which the government digs into their criminal record and interviews friends and family. They can only buy shotguns and air rifles — no handguns — and every three years they must retake the class and initial exam.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:10 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Nas wrote:
If ______ people want to own a gun, they must attend an all-day class, pass a written test, and achieve at least 95% accuracy during a shooting-range test.
Nas saying that women should not be allowed to own guns. SAD!

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Nas wrote:
If ______ people want to own a gun, they must attend an all-day class, pass a written test, and achieve at least 95% accuracy during a shooting-range test. Then they have to pass a mental-health evaluation, which takes place at a hospital, and pass a background check, in which the government digs into their criminal record and interviews friends and family. They can only buy shotguns and air rifles — no handguns — and every three years they must retake the class and initial exam.

you realize that is more rigorous than federal security clearance? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:13 pm 
100000 CLUB

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Nas wrote:
If ______ people want to own a gun, they must attend an all-day class, pass a written test, and achieve at least 95% accuracy during a shooting-range test.
Nas saying that women should not be allowed to own guns. SAD!

:lol: :lol: :lol: #Verdad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Never retreat. Never negotiate. Never surrender.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:15 pm 

To be an Illinois Insurance agent, you are required to have 100+ hours under your belt before you're even allowed to take the exams to get your P/C & L/H licenses ... and you have to be recertified every two years (no testing but still have to acquire 24, I think, hours of continuing education credits). There's more training and separate licensing if you want to sell LTC, not to mention scads more to do anything of value with investment and retirement products.

I think you need some extraordinary amount of hours to be a barber/stylist ... 1500 maybe?

I don't think arranging it so that folks are required to have at least 40 hours of training (using Darko's higher end #) is remotely unreasonable ... nor is it unreasonable to require re-certification on at least a biennial basis.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:16 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Darko, where do you stand on registration for guns? Something similar to vehicle registration. IMO the training absolutely needs to be implemented, and you can run the background checks to coincide with the training...which takes time.

These are all incredibly reasonable requests. IMO they do not violate my Constitutional rights either.

I've always been very much against registration. Being credentialed to carry or own doesn't necessarily mean you do carry or own, and a database of owners, in my opinion, can easily become a database of potential victims. I don't necessarily mean that the government will come after you but after the last few experian and Equifax data breaches I don't believe any list or the contents thereof are secure. My home could be a target for burglary should such a list be stolen from the government and sold to persons interested in the stolen firearms black market which believe it or not is a thing

I realize however that my training requirements concessions can be interpreted as being in conflict with my thoughts on registration. I'll have to think it over some.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:19 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
To be an Illinois Insurance agent, you are required to have 100+ hours under your belt before you're even allowed to take the exams to get your P/C & L/H licenses ... and you have to be recertified every two years (no testing but still have to acquire 24, I think, hours of continuing education credits). There's more training and separate licensing if you want to sell LTC, not to mention scads more to do anything of value with investment and retirement products.

I think you need some extraordinary amount of hours to be a barber/stylist ... 1500 maybe?

I don't think arranging it so that folks are required to have at least 40 hours of training (using Darko's higher end #) is remotely unreasonable ... nor is it unreasonable to require re-certification on at least a biennial basis.

Dude I had to recertify my NATE certification today, second time now since my career change... along with that something like 40 hours of training a year. So far to have a foid and associated hardware I've just had to pay $20.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:21 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Nas wrote:
This is easily the most thoughtful response I've seen by a gun guy. Hopefully they'll eventually be MANY more reasonable people on BOTH sides.

+1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:22 pm 

Well said Darkside.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:23 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
a genius wrote:
Nas wrote:

+1

Agreed.

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Caller Bob wrote:
With all due respect Darkside, I don't understand why this tragedy has to be about "You". I honestly don't give a fuck about your right to bear arms. I wouldn't expect anyone to care about mine either.

You’re a terrible American.

To rock my soul

Nas wrote:

Well... i believe one of the arguments in the supreme court cases recently had something to do with people who wanted to be armed for personal protection and not being physically capable of using a two handed weapon which would necessitate handguns as legal.
Not sure something as subjective as a mental competency hearing should be used either.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:25 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
FavreFan wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

This reaction seems pretty dramatic. Anger and Gun Culture often find themselves in the same room.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:26 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

Dude I had to recertify my NATE certification today, second time now since my career change... along with that something like 40 hours of training a year. So far to have a foid and associated hardware I've just had to pay $20.

Plus the cost of a passport-size picture to send along with your original app .... which they then don't use anyway, they just use whatever's on file with the state from when you get your mugshot for your d/l. Thankfully mine doesn't need to be renewed for MANY years.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:26 pm 
100000 CLUB

Caller Bob wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

This reaction seems pretty dramatic. Anger and Gun Culture often find themselves in the same room.

I love Bob