It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shut up and dribble
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

FF is right. I don't think it's a stretch to say LBJ means African American audiences in particular look him to him for inspiration and perspective. Should they is a different question. But as an influential figure within that community it's absolutely true that he means a lot to people. Laura, perhaps deliberately, totally missed how marginalized communities rally around personalities that they feel represent their interests, that speak for them on public stages, and that give them hope. Whether we like it or not LBJ is that person for a whole lot of people. Much more than that dickhead Jordan. And there's no way LBJ has Jordan in him, politically speaking. The minute he campaigned for Clinton he basically hurt his brand amongst a large segment of the public, even though it won't affect him in the aggregate. Jordan would never do that. Trump supporters buy sneakers too.

You still don't say it like that.

BREAKING NEWS - LeBron James has a high opinion of himself. Full story at 9:00.
What exactly are you defending here? Just looking for an argument?

Ironically, it seems you are. I’m saying this is not big deal. You’re the one who thinks it is.

You need to detect significance better.

You need to parse your words better. “You don’t say that under any circumstances” of course leads a reasonable person to infer its significant to you.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:55 pm 

Well it sounds dumb to say. I laughed at it and moved on. You felt the need to defend him with the Jordan excuse rather than just accept it was dumb for anyone to say that they mean too much to society. I'd probably laugh at the President for saying that and he's probably the closest to it being true.

Last edited by Brick on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:57 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Hang on everyone, JLN is gonna school us on the True meaning of "society".

Do you think LeBron meant "Cleveland, Nike, networks and the NBA" when he used "society"?

Do YOU view society as just "Cleveland, Nike, networks and the NBA"?

Low effort troll post.

Those are Nas' words not Leabron's :roll:

....right. Nas defined "society" improperly given LeBron's, and everyone else's, usage of the term.

Fake news!

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:04 pm 

Poor choice of words and he would have been better served by simply stating that he speaks out because he has an interest in it. It is indicative of a guy in possession of a huge ego. He may get a pass because its not like he hasn't demonstrated it before.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Nas wrote:

He said Chris Jackson had the right to protest the anthem as a player. That was far more controversial back then.

Okay that's semi controversial but not as controversial as the stuff LBJ has said and done. He's clearly come down on one side when it comes to Trayvon Martin, Eric Green, etc. These are highly polarizing issues with clear lines drawn in the sand. Also like i said his open support of Clinton/repudiation of Trump is huge. Savvy business people don't do that, which means he's stuck his neck out further for social issues than Jordan ever did.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:11 pm 

Walt Williams Neck wrote:

Surprised WWN is just ripping slanted FB memes off the net. Here's more of his quote:

"I mean too much to society, I mean too much to the youth, I mean too much to so many kids that feel like they don’t have a way out and they need someone to help lead them out of the situation they’re in,"

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:13 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
veganfan21 wrote:
Nas wrote:

He said Chris Jackson had the right to protest the anthem as a player. That was far more controversial back then.

Okay that's semi controversial but not as controversial as the stuff LBJ has said and done. He's clearly come down on one side when it comes to Trayvon Martin, Eric Green, etc. These are highly polarizing issues with clear lines drawn in the sand. Also like i said his open support of Clinton/repudiation of Trump is huge. Savvy business people don't do that, which means he's stuck his neck out further for social issues than Jordan ever did.

These things are much easier to do when you're worth close to a billion dollars. They may not be as easy to say when you're worth tens of millions of dollars.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
veganfan21 wrote:

Surprised WWN is just ripping slanted FB memes off the net. Here's more of his quote:

"I mean too much to society, I mean too much to the youth, I mean too much to so many kids that feel like they don’t have a way out and they need someone to help lead them out of the situation they’re in,"

Are we intended to read the "youth" and "kids" clauses as limiting the "society" clause? I don't think that's how LeBron meant it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:20 pm 

pizza_Place: My own
SpiralStairs wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Do you think LeBron meant "Cleveland, Nike, networks and the NBA" when he used "society"?

Low effort troll post.

....right. Nas defined "society" improperly given LeBron's, and everyone else's, usage of the term.

Do you sit around in real life and try to correct everyone's word usage?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:22 pm 

storkinastorm wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Low effort troll post.

Do you not?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:25 pm 

pizza_Place: My own
storkinastorm wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Low effort troll post.

Do you not?

No. I usually try not to go out of my way to be insufferable.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:25 pm 

Nas wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Nas wrote:

These things are much easier to do when you're worth close to a billion dollars. They may not be as easy to say when you're worth tens of millions of dollars.

I don't know what money has to do with it. There are people who have more debt than assets who say the same stuff LeBron does. The risk is being perceived as taking sides. Once you do that then you're a target. Jordan evaded that by not really believing in anything other than Benjamins. That's why he's a vanilla personality. LBJ has done the riskier thing by taking clear stances.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:26 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:

Are we intended to read the "youth" and "kids" clauses as limiting the "society" clause? I don't think that's how LeBron meant it.

Sure, that's fine. Ultimately I see this as a really pedantic point with no payoff for anyone in the end.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:27 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Nas wrote:

Yeah. Everyone loves Trump. Going after him is brand suicide.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:28 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Nas wrote:

Trump supporters watch basketball too. Republicans buy sneakers too. Republicans attend Cleveland games.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
LeBron is a shoe in for the Black Panther position if someone tries to make a real Wakanda

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:31 pm 

storkinastorm wrote:
No. I usually try not to go out of my way to be insufferable.

Just a natural byproduct, eh? See that a lot around here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:33 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Sure, that's fine. Ultimately I see this as a really pedantic point with no payoff for anyone in the end.

Yup, that’s what my guy says too.

LeBron is still a bitch though.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:45 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Nas wrote:

Trump supporters watch basketball too. Republicans buy sneakers too. Republicans attend Cleveland games.

I think a very low percentage of people were LeBron fans to such a large degree that their Trump support would cause them to not be LeBron fans.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:47 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Nas wrote:

I think a very low percentage of people were LeBron fans to such a large degree that their Trump support would cause them to not be LeBron fans.

But he’s not kneeling because he doesn’t want to make them mad, right?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:51 pm 

It's more than hardcore Trump supporters who think you should stand for the anthem.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:52 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Nas wrote:

My larger point was taking stances as a public figure = putting yourself at risk in some way. The monetary drawback of LBJ's stances won't matter in the long run, but through his stances he's painted himself into a corner. That corner happens to be BLM- friendly, liberal, multicultural, whatever. Because he's opened his mouth he has been defined this way. MJ doesn't have the same problem because he doesn't open his mouth.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:52 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
It's more than hardcore Trump supporters who think you should stand for the anthem.

Agreed. Even people that agree that there is systemic racial injustice, right?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
veganfan21 wrote:

I don't see the problem with that.....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:04 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Nas wrote:

My larger point was taking stances as a public figure = putting yourself at risk in some way. The monetary drawback of LBJ's stances won't matter in the long run, but through his stances he's painted himself into a corner. That corner happens to be BLM- friendly, liberal, multicultural, whatever. Because he's opened his mouth he has been defined this way. MJ doesn't have the same problem because he doesn't open his mouth.

We live in a time though when it is celebrated. It probably wouldn't be in the 90s. Even Barkley was a bad guy back then and now he's another beloved voice. Ali was hated back then and now he's the most important sports voice of all time.

Once again, there is a reason LeBron didn't kneel. He either thinks kneeling is wrong or he saw the major damage those who did it had to endure.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:06 pm 

He'd kneel if it was the NFL. Anyway I think wearing a can't breathe shirt and/or a hoodie after Trayvon Martin died is pretty much the NBA equivalent of kneeling.

And are.you sure this stuff is celebrated? Kaep can't find a job.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:14 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
He'd kneel if it was the NFL. Anyway I think wearing a can't breathe shirt and/or a hoodie after Trayvon Martin died is pretty much the NBA equivalent of kneeling.

And are.you sure this stuff is celebrated? Kaep can't find a job.

Kneeling isn't because of how most people view the anthem even as others tell them they are wrong.

I don't think wearing a shirt is the same as kneeling. Kaep wore a Castro shirt and no one cared until he kneeled.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:16 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Still waiting for JLNs definitive statement on what constitutes "society".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:30 pm 

There isn't much risk in Lebron taking on Trump. The brand is still protected given the fact that the average Trump supporter isn't a Lebron fan.

That being said it still takes courage to say what he said. He could have easily simply said nothing.

What no one has mentioned ( I think anyway) is that James chose to make his statement while promoting a product that is owned by him. His being provocative could have been an attempt to increase interest in Uninterrupted.

Last edited by long time guy on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:31 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:
Still waiting for JLNs definitive statement on what constitutes "society".

Try holding your breath.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next