It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Favorite President?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:14 pm 

Why do working class people seem to think W, a blue blood Chaz (Texas variety version) type, would be so great to hang with. I remember my friend's brother saying that years ago only to have another much more liberal brother laugh in his face and say Bush would never have a drink with you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Caller Bob wrote:
I'm partial to Dick, myself.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:17 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
good dolphin wrote:
Why do working class people seem to think W, a blue blood Chaz (Texas variety version) type, would be so great to hang with. I remember my friend's brother saying that years ago only to have another much more liberal brother laugh in his face and say Bush would never have a drink with you.

He comes off as a regular extroverted guy.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:21 pm 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

but he isn't and there isn't a single thing in his record to indicate it. He has been part of exclusive and insular groups his entire life.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:23 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

but he isn't and there isn't a single thing in his record to indicate it. He has been part of exclusive and insular groups his entire life.

I'm not disputing that.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

After leaving office he still would go and greet troops returning home from overseas. If he is such an elitist what is in it for him to do that?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:51 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

After leaving office he still would go and greet troops returning home from overseas. If he is such an elitist what is in it for him to do that?

Did he invite them to his home?

Ex presidents are expected to be statesman. I guess they don't have to but all of them perform public functions for the good of the country gratis.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

literally every president. it's etched in stone of the post-job playbook.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:

It's the hillbilly accent. When you sound like John Kerry- "Absolutely top drawer, bubby!"- people know you're a douchebag. With a working class accent it's more difficult to tell if you're an elitist asshole. Believe me, I'm speaking from first hand experience.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Could you imagine a campaign slogan of "Good enough for Me" today?

Its almost like there was a time when the USA wasn't a complete trash heap.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
With a working class accent it's more difficult to tell if you're an elitist asshole. Believe me, I'm speaking from first hand experience.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Trump for sure. Love the way he has exposed the idiocy of the american 2 party political system.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Jefferson,Lincoln and Teddy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Hillary.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:58 pm 

Franky T wrote:
Hillary.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
good dolphin wrote:

they don't. redneck working-class people do. most of my relatives who are still working-class thought he was a spoiled rich kid jag.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:52 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

It's the hillbilly accent. When you sound like John Kerry- "Absolutely top drawer, bubby!"- people know you're a douchebag. With a working class accent it's more difficult to tell if you're an elitist asshole. Believe me, I'm speaking from first hand experience.

I always got the feeling that was faked as well, seeing that neither of his parents really has it and he spent a lot of time in Kennebunkport, Maine.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:58 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I always got the feeling that was faked as well, seeing that neither of his parents really has it and he spent a lot of time in Kennebunkport, Maine.

Not to mention elite prep schools in New England, where it would've been laughed at.

My guess is that he picked it up while avoiding Vietnam while protecting Alabama from Louisiana in the Air National Guard part time and drinking with his buddies.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Clinton

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:33 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
HawaiiYou wrote:
Shout out to Reagan too. He was a good president. Probably the best in my lifetime.

He was probably the worst

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:16 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:

Neither of my parents spoke like a Superfan and that doesn't stop me from sounding like Bill Swerski.

Regular Reader wrote:
Not to mention elite prep schools in New England, where it would've been laughed at.

I have a friend who works at his school. The students are from all over the world. I don't think he would have been laughed at in Andover just for sounding like he worked on an oil rig in the summer.

Here's a funny story about accents that involves this same friend of mine. When her son was little, like three or four, a friend of hers would sometimes babysit him. This particular friend of hers was from the deep New England woods and had that very specific accent. Think Carlton Fisk if you've ever really heard him speak. Anyway, one day my friend came home and her friend and her kid were playing with a toy horse. Her son got very excited and started yelling, "Look, Mawmmy! Hawse! Hawsey! My friend was mortified because her first thought was that her son was making fun of her friend's accent. But about a week later he referenced the toy again saying, "hawse". She realized that growing up in New England, her son simply had a similar accent.

Accents are a funny thing. I have a friend who lived in Greece until he was 13 and did not speak a word of English. He has no foreign accent at all. If you met him you would think he grew up on the West side, which he did after emigrating from Greece.

My aunt grew up in Chicago and lived here until she was 18 when she married a guy from Alexandria, Louisiana and moved south. She's about 90 today and she speaks like Scarlett O'Hara. My mom used to say that her accent was fake. I'm sure that's not the truth.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:23 am 

my mawmaw grew up on the south side of chicago, and my whole life i only ever heard her had the thickest cajun accent ever when she moved down to chalmette after getting married. and she was a cubs fan.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:31 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I have seen the funny part of accent accumulation with me and my kids. In my previous position I traveled a lot extensively in the upper Midwest and Canada. I am asked a lot if I an Canadian just from a few simple affectations I have picked up over the 15-18 years I did that. As for my kids, my oldest (moment of silence) spoke just like the sw Polish background she came from. My middle one seemingly speaks with little to no accent at all. My youngest talks as if he has been in Pittsburgh his entire life.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:37 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Neither of my parents spoke like a Superfan and that doesn't stop me from sounding like Bill Swerski.

Regular Reader wrote:

I have a friend who works at his school. The students are from all over the world. I don't think he would have been laughed at in Andover just for sounding like he worked on an oil rig in the summer.

Here's a funny story about accents that involves this same friend of mine. When her son was little, like three or four, a friend of hers would sometimes babysit him. This particular friend of hers was from the deep New England woods and had that very specific accent. Think Carlton Fisk if you've ever really heard him speak. Anyway, one day my friend came home and her friend and her kid were playing with a toy horse. Her son got very excited and started yelling, "Look, Mawmmy! Hawse! Hawsey! My friend was mortified because her first thought was that her son was making fun of her friend's accent. But about a week later he referenced the toy again saying, "hawse". She realized that growing up in New England, her son simply had a similar accent.

Accents are a funny thing. I have a friend who lived in Greece until he was 13 and did not speak a word of English. He has no foreign accent at all. If you met him you would think he grew up on the West side, which he did after emigrating from Greece.

My aunt grew up in Chicago and lived here until she was 18 when she married a guy from Alexandria, Louisiana and moved south. She's about 90 today and she speaks like Scarlett O'Hara. My mom used to say that her accent was fake. I'm sure that's not the truth.

When I attended Grambling Alexandria was known to be the place where all of the nice looking Creole women lived.

Passed through there on the way home one semester with one of the guys who had a chick that lived there. Tried to push up on her cousin who at that particular time was one on the baddest chicks i think i'd seen.

We were flowing but the long distance thing made it difficult. At least that was what i told myself at the time lol.

I just remembered that the chicks from that little town used to have a different look to them than the other women from Louisiana for some reason.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:08 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Accents are weird. My wife picks up hints of them wherever she goes in a very short time. It’s decreased as we’ve gotten older but it used to be very odd. I have, from when I’ve heard it recorded, a very midwestern flat or non accent except for one or two words that come out like a stereotypical chicago accent. I can only assume I picked it up from my mom but she lost hers for the most part too compared to her brother. That all being said I get tagged as “urban” in origin all the time by people fir speech pattern and pace around here.

The New England accent is something. I worked with a gal from backwoods main out west. She would ask me about things and I’d have to get her to repeat over and over sometimes the first few days.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:11 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
My favorite unrelated accent story has to do with Judas Priest. I forget his name but their bass player has a very very heavy accent. So much so that during a documentary I was watching they had to use subtitles for English!

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:17 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

But he is, and often times looks can be deceiving.

And he would have a drink with you. It would be non alcoholic though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:04 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Neither of my parents spoke like a Superfan and that doesn't stop me from sounding like Bill Swerski. .

I question you as well

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:07 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Regular Reader wrote:

All of what you wrote supports what I said.

It's my opinion that after a certain age you only acquire a new accent if you choose to for whatever purpose. Children gain it from what they hear because they are acquiring language.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:09 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Regular Reader wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

My guess is that he picked it up while avoiding Vietnam while protecting Alabama from Louisiana in the Air National Guard part time and drinking with his buddies.

You guys are hilarious. And never let it be said that RR will skip an attempt to throw a shot at a Republican.

W spent has spent the majority of his life living in Texas, which is where his accent comes from.

And when he owned the Rangers, fans could walk right up to him at games and just sit down and chat with him. Like him or his policies, or not, he has been and is still a very approachable guy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next