It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:09 am 

I asked in another thread and got no answer. I assume I am one who knows nothing about guns so I need an expert!
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
SteveSarley wrote:
A year ago, I wrote a column for the Northwest Herald explaining many of the terms used in arguments for and against gun control, such as "assault weapons" and "automatic weapons."
I received a response from a reader telling me that I should feel very guilty the next time a child was killed by a gun because I was directly at fault and their blood was on my hands.
I find this unfair criticism to be very commonly used by anti-firearms forces.
It's a shame.

It's hilarious how people who know absolutely nothing about firearms (despite repeated efforts to educate) feel they are the ones who should get to dictate what firearm I or anyone else can own.
What firearms should you or anyone else be able to own?

pretty much anything that is not full auto provided I can pass a basic background check. Although, full auto is once again something any trained shooter would avoid anyways as your ability to put a round on target is greatly diminished after the 3rd round due to muzzle climb and recoil.
Why no full auto guns?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:16 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
First step on the way to crushing the people under the jackboots of government.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:19 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Not really. Trained shooters(those who would make up our militia) would use handguns instead of automatic weapons because they greatly diminish after the 3rd round.

Maybe automatic weapons are banned because they suck?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:36 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Not really. Trained shooters(those who would make up our militia) would use handguns instead of automatic weapons because they greatly diminish after the 3rd round.

Like I mentioned in another thread, I know you don't think the U.S. government could ever turn on its people (although you've seen it do exactly that against Randy Weaver and his family and the Branch Davidians). Or minimally you think disarming the public is a worthwhile tradeoff to make in pursuit of limiting gun violence on America's streets. I think that's something to talk about and unlike so many of the emotional screeds currently being pumped into the media- both social and traditional- it's not a dishonest conversation.

I will point out that I watched a show on the 1968 Olympics yesterday. Prior to those Olympics in Mexico City there was widespread unrest among Mexican students who were demonstrating constantly. The government sent soldiers into a plaza where peaceful demonstrations were taking place. At the same time, unbeknownst to the soldiers on the ground, the government had posted snipers in the surrounding buildings and the president ordered the snipers to fire on the ground soldiers. Hundreds of people were killed and the students were blamed. I asked my wife- who has similar views to your own- why she thinks the Mexican government is capable of such a thing while the U.S. government is not. "Are you racist?" Then she got mad. :lol:

Finally, I'll say this. I have no doubt that in 1774 there was a housewife in Lexington, Massachusetts who was baking bread and tending her children. The idea that within a year soldiers and citizens might be battling each other on her front lawn was as outlandish to her then as the idea that agents of the U.S. government might knock on your door and seize your son to conscript him into the Gillibrand Youth program to cure him of his inherent toxic masculinity currently is to you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:44 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Like I mentioned in another thread, I know you don't think the U.S. government could ever turn on its people (although you've seen it do exactly that against Randy Weaver and his family and the Branch Davidians). Or minimally you think disarming the public is a worthwhile tradeoff to make in pursuit of limiting gun violence on America's streets. I think that's something to talk about and unlike so many of the emotional screeds currently being pumped into the media- both social and traditional- it's not a dishonest conversation.

I will point out that I watched a show on the 1968 Olympics yesterday. Prior to those Olympics in Mexico City there was widespread unrest among Mexican students who were demonstrating constantly. The government sent soldiers into a plaza where peaceful demonstrations were taking place. At the same time, unbeknownst to the soldiers on the ground, the government had posted snipers in the surrounding buildings and the president ordered the snipers to fire on the ground soldiers. Hundreds of people were killed and the students were blamed. I asked my wife- who has similar views to your own- why she thinks the Mexican government is capable of such a thing while the U.S. government is not. "Are you racist?" Then she got mad. :lol:

Finally, I'll say this. I have no doubt that in 1774 there was a housewife in Lexington, Massachusetts who was baking bread and tending her children. The idea that within a year soldiers and citizens might be battling each other on her front lawn was as outlandish to her then as the idea that agents of the U.S. government might knock on your door and seize your son to conscript him into the Gillibrand Youth program to cure him of his inherent toxic masculinity currently is to you.

I don't think what you said applies to me besides me not expecting a ground war with the government in the next year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:33 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
They're banned because to do otherwise would level the playing field too much.

As long as the government has bigger guns, they apparently don't care how many citizens have.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:09 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I don't think what you said applies to me besides me not expecting a ground war with the government in the next year.

Nobody ever does, but human beings are always only about nine meals away from anarchy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
The reason automatic weapons are banned is that it was a concession given in the 1986 law in exchange for ammo sales remaining unrestricted. It's simple as that.

I think most gun owners were fine with the trade as automatic fire is pretty useless in most situations. All it does is throw off your aim after the 3rd round (muzzle climb resulting form recoil) and result in you expending your ammunition quickly. About the only tactical situation you would use automatic fire is when you are laying down covering fire.

There is a reason that even the US M16A2 is not a true automatic weapon. It fires in a 3 round burst and that change was made deliberately as they found full auto modes on the earlier M16s had turned the US Army from an army of marksmen into an army of sprayers.

As for my personal experiences, I was trained to use the IMI Galil as part of my 6 month reserve duty with the IDF. They had us try the automatic fire to empty a magazine once just so that we could understand the recoil effect. Using full automatic was strongly discouraged and for good reason. The newer versions had burst fire, but since we were reservists we only received older equipment which lacked this option. For some odd reason the Tavor, which is replacing the Galil, only has auto and semi-auto modes. I expect that will be corrected on the next version.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
HURR WHY CANT PEOPLE HAVE NUCULAR WEAPONS THEN LOL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
I think you would actually see lower fatalities if fully automatic weapons were used. Whenever the shooter is reloading, there is a chance for him to make a mistake or a better chance for the weapon to jam up. Also the more reloads they would take, the more difficult they likely become as the ammo is located to different spots on his body. At some point it will get cumbersome to get the next magazine.

Las Vegas is the only one full auto could have been worse. And that is simply because he wasn't aiming for the most part. We was simply spraying the concert and no one could figure out where it was coming from.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Excellent thoughts! Legalize fully automatic weapons so that mass murderers possibly may have a more difficult time being extremely efficient in their murders.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:41 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
The reason automatic weapons are banned is that it was a concession given in the 1986 law in exchange for ammo sales remaining unrestricted. It's simple as that.

I think most gun owners were fine with the trade as automatic fire is pretty useless in most situations. All it does is throw off your aim after the 3rd round (muzzle climb resulting form recoil) and result in you expending your ammunition quickly. About the only tactical situation you would use automatic fire is when you are laying down covering fire.

There is a reason that even the US M16A2 is not a true automatic weapon. It fires in a 3 round burst and that change was made deliberately as they found full auto modes on the earlier M16s had turned the US Army from an army of marksmen into an army of sprayers.

As for my personal experiences, I was trained to use the IMI Galil as part of my 6 month reserve duty with the IDF. They had us try the automatic fire to empty a magazine once just so that we could understand the recoil effect. Using full automatic was strongly discouraged and for good reason. The newer versions had burst fire, but since we were reservists we only received older equipment which lacked this option. For some odd reason the Tavor, which is replacing the Galil, only has auto and semi-auto modes. I expect that will be corrected on the next version.

So if automatic weapons are useless then we really don't have meaningful gun control in this country. Is that correct?

You seem an expert at downplaying the danger of any gun.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
IMU wrote:
Excellent thoughts! Legalize fully automatic weapons so that mass murderers possibly may have a more difficult time being extremely efficient in their murders.

Along with reducing security measures in schools, we may have totally eliminated the problem!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:45 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

So if automatic weapons are useless then we really don't have meaningful gun control in this country. Is that correct?

"Meaningful gun control" = "ban". I always kinda knew that's what you, and MANY meant, but it's at least nice to hear you say it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:45 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

We do have gun control in this country. It's called background checks. Don't blame gun owners when the government is too incompetent to properly perform them.

Heck, if that asshole sheriff in Broward County did his job on any of his 25-30 calls to the residence his dept received, they could have charged Cruz thus ensuring he would have been prevented from purchasing a firearm. By not doing jack shit about him, they ensured he would pass any background check as he had no record.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:46 am 

Today's left:

Trump is literally Hitler and our government is becoming fascist.

also, only the government should be able to have firearms

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:53 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Today's left:

who said any of that? if anything i can go through your post history with "da gubmint is fascist!11!!" :lol:

Last edited by Kirkwood on Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:54 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Today's left:

who said any of that?

The top part is said by anyone who has #resist in their Twitter profile

The bottom part is said by those same people when they call for a repeal of the 2nd Amendment

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:54 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
We do have gun control in this country. It's called background checks.
What kind of background checks happen at gun shows?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:56 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Today's left:

who said any of that?

The top part is said by anyone who has #resist in their Twitter profile

The bottom part is said by those same people when they call for a repeal of the 2nd Amendment

is there a movement for repeal? seems like most people would like better safeguards: less availability in powerful guns, more thorough vetting of purchasers, restrictions on certain modifications.

i know, radical stuff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:58 am 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

"Meaningful gun control" = "ban". I always kinda knew that's what you, and MANY meant, but it's at least nice to hear you say it.

I'm open to any suggestions on gun control. Maybe we ban something. Ogie just keeps undercutting all of the sensible gun owners with the idea that fully automatic weapons suck anyways.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:59 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

How many weapons used in a mass shooting have been purchased in this manner?

https://www.nationalreview.com/blog/cor ... -loophole/

Seriously, this argument is made after each and every mass shooting yet none of them were purchased via this manner.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:00 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I'm open to any suggestions on gun control. Maybe we ban something. Ogie just keeps undercutting all of the sensible gun owners with the idea that fully automatic weapons suck anyways.

ah, good ole virtue signaling

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:02 am 

These weapons are all the Ruger Mini 14

Please tell me which ones are the "assault weapons" which must be banned by people who know jack shit about firearms and which are the legal to own hunting rifles? Are you starting to see the folly of gun control?

It's worth noting any of these can be fitted with a larger magazine if you desire.

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:04 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Seriously, this argument is made after each and every mass shooting yet none of them were purchased via this manner.
This reply has nothing to do with my post.

Answer the question.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:05 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Answer the question.

The gun control loophole has been shown not to be a problem. Demonstrate there's a problem and I'd consider closing it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:06 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Answer the question.

:lol: I know the legislation for which I advocate would be ineffective, but tell me why we shouldn't do it anyway?!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:07 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Today's left:

Quote:

Got to chuckle at the inherent contradiction found in this statement. It is paradoxically wrong for the left to fear the possibility of a tyrannical Trump presidency yet right for gun owners to fear the possibility of tyrannical govt.

Last edited by long time guy on Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:08 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Darkside provided his input as a gun enthusiast. Agree or disagree his ideas seems more productive to spurring a discussion than Ogie. Ogie seems to be terrified any suggestion for change means he may no longer be able to raise a militia and and shoot the Government™.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:10 am 

long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Today's left:

Quote:

Got to chuckle at the inherent contradiction found in this statement. It is simultaneously wrong for the left to fear the possibility of a tyrannical Trump presidency yet right for gun owners to fear the possibility of tyrannical govt.

Because no organ of the US government or its member states has committed senseless violence against citizens. Chuckles indeed.