It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:32 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
beni hanna wrote:
Love to know what goes into determining each border.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/IL#map

And kirkwood is correct. Chicago wards are probably worse.

In and around Chicago, it's race. It's why Gutierrez' district looks the way it does, and why he's retiring. See Lipinski's as well.

I've heard a lot of rumors about that and none of them have to do with changing demographics.

That everyone talks about the rumors, but no one comes out and details them yet is puzzling.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
beni hanna wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
beni hanna wrote:

In and around Chicago, it's race. It's why Gutierrez' district looks the way it does, and why he's retiring. See Lipinski's as well.

I've heard a lot of rumors about that and none of them have to do with changing demographics.

Is it just me, and not that there is anything wrong with this, does Gutierrez seem to have a little Dennis Hastert in him?

Definitely not. Looie loves the ladies. He used to think he was the world's biggest ladies man when he would come into Quencher's.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:36 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
What's the rumor? Rahm is very happy with the outcome.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:42 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Definitely not. Looie loves the ladies. He used to think he was the world's biggest ladies man when he would come into Quencher's.

I really can think of few politicians who don't/didn't. Even guys that genuinely seem to love and are loyal to their wives always seem to have longtime women friends/advisors around them full time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
pittmike wrote:
Yeah the other article I read on this today said the people appealing (Republicans) are doing so because the state supreme court should not be involved at all. Basically, my read was this is a blue print to revamp districts via the courts which usually does not happen.

Anyway, at first glance the maps appear to be more normal than the usually gerrymandered crazy ass line drawing all over the place. Supposedly, the court used a Stanford law professor to come up with it.

As the other Pennsylvanian on the bored, this is how I read it too. The things about it is that even with the court's drawn map it still 'favors' republicans but that will always happen in this state because of the fact the majority of the state is conservatives (I have hard it called the conservative T because it is shaped like T in Pennsylvania with the edges of the state being democrats (Philly and the Burgh, with another couple of outposts here and there like Montour county).

Personally, I thought the redraw seemed fair, but as Mike said they used a law professor to help draw it up (Geniocracy in action!).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:02 pm 

beni hanna wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Wish they would outlaw gerrymandering in Illinois.

What I found interesting about the article is one could technically apply the same approach to just about any municipality/state and determine if a problem exists. I don't know what organization would go to court in this city/state and have a chance of winning. If they did win, let's talk about getting the case through the appeals process. Just don't see it happening.

They do go to court pretty much every time there is a remap.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:08 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I really can think of few politicians who don't/didn't. Even guys that genuinely seem to love and are loyal to their wives always seem to have longtime women friends/advisors around them full time.

The legacy of doxxing is preventing some fun stories to issue.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:10 pm 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

That's what mults are for. Share some of these stories and stop teasing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:12 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
beni hanna wrote:

There have been aldermanic districts drawn where a single block is included in a particular ward due to a favorable precinct captain.

It can really be used as an effective tool to unseat an irritating office holder.

Daley I greatest fear was the polish vote coalescing and divided it up as best he could during his reign.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:13 pm 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I didn't mean I would know the stories. There is no reason for me to know about that stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Enough said.

You have too much class to share this type of thing publicly. Don't give in to the gossipers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:15 pm 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I didn't mean I would know the stories. There is no reason for me to know about that stuff.

Of course not. You're only an alumni of one of the most politically connected schools in the state.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:21 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Enough said.

You have too much class to share this type of thing publicly. Don't give in to the gossipers.

I've been out of the loop so long, that any of the good stories I was remotely privy to have long been discussed publicly.

And the ones in the game I know now are fairly straight laced. But then again they came of age professionally when smoking a joint was political death. And then were shaped by Whitewater :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Regular Reader wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Enough said.

I've been out of the loop so long, that any of the good stories I was remotely privy to have long been discussed publicly.

And the ones in the game I know now are fairly straight laced. But then again they came of age professionally when smoking a joint was political death. And then were shaped by Whitewater :lol:

JORR has threatened me with physical violence and I still will not share bad stories about local female radio personalities.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
How badly does he need the dirt on Swieca? Geez.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:41 pm 
100000 CLUB

KDdidit wrote:
How badly does he need the dirt on Swieca? Geez.

Hood is good for some of those stories. I don't think anything I heard was surprising

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
If you look at the southwest part of the 4th carefully, from Harlem to the Tri-State, you'll see an amazing set of land uses.

- Businesses (including a couple of shopping centers)
- A Golf course
- Multiple forest preserves
- At least one high school
- I'm pretty sure that Loyola Hospital is in there as well
- And of course the Tri-State Tollway itself.

The only thing you really don't see much of is residents.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
http://www.redistrictinggame.org/game/launchgame.php

This game is really good at explaining gerrymandering and shows you what a challenge it is to implement something that keeps it from happening.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:40 pm 

Personally I think it is another legal overreach that will push the pendulum was to the other side but that seems to be the era we are in. Im more worried about the media narrative that paints this as something only one side does. Divides us further. We have plenty of issues to rally around to pit us against the real assholes. Neither party should be gerrymandering to make up for their years of policy and leadership failures.

- Dan Bernstein, 2016

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
good dolphin wrote:
beni hanna wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Wish they would outlaw gerrymandering in Illinois.

What I found interesting about the article is one could technically apply the same approach to just about any municipality/state and determine if a problem exists. I don't know what organization would go to court in this city/state and have a chance of winning. If they did win, let's talk about getting the case through the appeals process. Just don't see it happening.

They do go to court pretty much every time there is a remap.

I don't believe the scenario in IL when the both parties go to court for approval of district changes is the same as what happened in PA. That would be fairly routine. In this instance, an outside force (League of Women Voters) brought suit and won.

- The legislature was supposed to create their own district boundaries...and shockingly could not agree. So the court determined the boundaries for them as they told the legislature they would do. I find it laughable that the same legislators that could not agree are now crying for the judges heads on a stick. IF the legislature had at any point done their job correctly, they wouldn't be in this mess.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/pennsylvania-gerrymandering-supreme-court-congressional-map-ryan-costello-20180220.html

... the normally mild-mannered congressman lashed out at the state Supreme Court and said he would support impeaching the justices who imposed the map.

Cry more.