It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
well if more security will cause more shootings, maybe we should have less security.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:21 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
That's why I think the only answer is the modest proposal of repealing the 2nd Amendment.

Can the Bill Of Rights be repealed? Perhaps it could be legally. But doing so would change the entire basis of our government and the core values of the nation. My understanding is that the rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights, i.e. the first ten Amendments, are not rights granted by the government, but are inalienable rights with which each individual is born. The philosophy behind it is that these basic rights are not something that can be given or taken by other men.
Yes, it can be repealed.

I understand that an amendment can be passed repealing it, though it would be difficult as was the Founders' intention. That's why I said legally. But you do understand that doing so may have all kinds of unintended consequences. I believe it would be the beginning of the end of the United States as a nation.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:28 pm 

This beginning of the end of the USA theme is becoming common with you Joe.

Frankly I thought the shitshow we saw up close in March 2016 was going to be the thing that would've lessened that kind of thinking.

I was wrong. And I've been sharing your thoughts for 16 years now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
The 2nd Amendment will not be repealed, no matter how much Brick wants it to be.

You need 38 states to approve it through their state legislatures (and that's after you get 2/3rds in both houses of congress). I can name 30 states, including some light blue ones like Oregon and Virginia, which will not approve a repeal of the 2nd. You only need 13 states to say no for the repeal to die.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:31 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Things in the Bill of Rights are funny things. They sure get people all fired up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:32 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Things in the Bill of Rights are funny things. They sure get people all fired up.

I know, it's amazing how defensive we get when someone proposes to strip us of our rights.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:32 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
The 2nd Amendment will not be repealed, no matter how much Brick wants it to be.
BRick didn't say he wants it to be repealed. He said the threat of repealing it should be used as a chip to bring gun nuts like you to the bargaining table.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:33 pm 

A great piece from David French

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/02/ ... amendment/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:35 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I wouldn't say never, things could change over the course of a century. Even Mississippi finally abolished slavery and ratified the 13th amendment in 2013.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:35 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Regular Reader wrote:
This beginning of the end of the USA theme is becoming common with you Joe.

:lol: Well, the U.S. has had a long run already. What did Rome go? 600-700 years?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:42 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
BRick didn't say he wants it to be repealed. He said the threat of repealing it should be used as a chip to bring gun nuts like you to the bargaining table.

You realize that's an awful strategy to bring us to the table as we know we have the votes to block it, right? We have more than double the number of states needed to block such an Amendment. There are even blue states that would block it (Oregon, Virginia, Vermont for starters)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:44 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

You need 38 states to approve it through their state legislatures (and that's after you get 2/3rds in both houses of congress). I can name 30 states, including some light blue ones like Oregon and Virginia, which will not approve a repeal of the 2nd. You only need 13 states to say no for the repeal to die.

They said the same about other things.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:46 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

You realize that's an awful strategy to bring us to the table as we know we have the votes to block it, right? We have more than double the number of states needed to block such an Amendment. There are even blue states that would block it (Oregon, Virginia, Vermont for starters)

It may take a while and a lot more dead kids but we can do it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:47 pm 
100000 CLUB

Quote:
At one point there was enough votes to pass an amendment to make America a completely dry country.

Times, people, and thoughts change.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:50 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Quote:
At one point there was enough votes to pass an amendment to make America a completely dry country.

You realize it was only possible to pass that Amendment due to the women's suffrage movement (especially since it was driven by the WCTU)

I have news for you, a repeal of the 2nd Amendment will not happen. There are enough states in rural America where guns are part of the culture and that culture is not changing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:52 pm 
100000 CLUB

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
There are enough states in rural America where guns are part of the culture and that culture is not changing.
There were states in rural America where slavery was part of the culture, and that too changed over time.

Never say never. Trump is President, there is a rocket car in outer space, and the Cubs won a World Series 16 months ago. Stranger things have happened.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:53 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

But silent on gun shows, consistent standards for purchase and registration.

In the interim period I'd love to see an absolute embargo on the importation of all firearms into this country just to see where the gun defenders go next to find colonial era rationale to conceal much of their hypocrisy. And ultimately not to openly disturb the profits of big donors.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:54 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Quote:

You realize it was only possible to pass that Amendment due to the women's suffrage movement (especially since it was driven by the WCTU)

I have news for you, a repeal of the 2nd Amendment will not happen. There are enough states in rural America where guns are part of the culture and that culture is not changing.

We are going to hire the legalize marijuana people.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:57 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
There are enough states in rural America where guns are part of the culture and that culture is not changing.
There were states in rural America where slavery was part of the culture, and that too changed over time.

Never say never. Trump is President, there is a rocket car in outer space, and the Cubs won a World Series 16 months ago. Stranger things have happened.

That's a pretty weak argument to use considering those states lost a Civil War and then were required to vote for the 13th Amendment in order to gain re-admittance into the Union as part of Reconstruction.

It was even a struggle to pass the Amendment amongst the Union in 1865. Read "Team of Rivals" if you have any doubts about that fact.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:59 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Quote:

It's a lot easier to pass laws to grant rights. It's very difficult to do so when the law in question is to restrict rights.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:02 pm 
100000 CLUB

It's not a weak argument at all. The fact is that one thing was endeared to a culture for a long time, and then things changed. Which is the point. Times change, people change, thoughts change. Generally for the better. Let's hope the same thing happens with guns. Levelheaded and rational improvements in the gun laws to make things better in this country.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:05 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
It's not a weak argument at all. The fact is that one thing was endeared to a culture for a long time, and then things changed. Which is the point. Times change, people change, thoughts change. Generally for the better. Let's hope the same thing happens with guns. Levelheaded and rational improvements in the gun laws to make things better in this country.

Did the attitudes really change in the South or was the Union holding something they needed over their heads to force adoption of the Amendment? You're being intentionally dishonest if you think the adoption of the 13th Amendment was via normal means. It literally required secession of the South, a Civil War, the South losing that war, and then the requirement of adopting it in order to regain admission. Is there any way the 13th Amendment gets passed in 1865 without the secession of 11 states who would've blocked it?

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:07 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Quote:

It's a lot easier to pass laws to grant rights. It's very difficult to do so when the law in question is to restrict rights.

Well being obstructionist to any meaningful change will hopefully backfire. It may not be our generation but I didn't grow up doing 'guy with AR15 killing everyone's drills in 3rd grade.

Note to FF and Darkside: That was about the NRA and gun owners in general and not Ogie so save your slander claims.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Did the attitudes really change in the South or was the Union holding something they needed over their heads to force adoption of the Amendment? You're being intentionally dishonest if you think the adoption of the 13th Amendment was via normal means. It literally required secession of the South, a Civil War, the South losing that war, and then the requirement of adopting it in order to regain admission.
Where did I talk about the 13th Amendment? All I did was talk about a culture that changed over time and point out that if it happened before, it absolutely is possible to happen again. You're the one being intentionally dishonest if you truly believe that cultures and people do not change over time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:09 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Did the attitudes really change in the South or was the Union holding something they needed over their heads to force adoption of the Amendment? You're being intentionally dishonest if you think the adoption of the 13th Amendment was via normal means. It literally required secession of the South, a Civil War, the South losing that war, and then the requirement of adopting it in order to regain admission. Is there any way the 13th Amendment gets passed in 1865 without the secession of 11 states who would've blocked it?

Haven't you all but promised an armed revolution in response to gun control?

Note to FF and Darkside: That was about the NRA and gun owners in general and not Ogie so save your slander claims.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:09 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Quote:

Well being obstructionist to any meaningful change will hopefully backfire. It may not be our generation but I didn't grow up doing 'guy with AR15 killing everyone's drills in 3rd grade.

Perhaps in cities and suburban centers you will see that change, but there are enough states in what constitutes rural America to completely block it. I'm willing to hold my ground on this one without fear of losing as I know repeal simply will not happen.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:10 pm 

pizza_Place: My own
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
That's why I think the only answer is the modest proposal of repealing the 2nd Amendment.

Can the Bill Of Rights be repealed? Perhaps it could be legally. But doing so would change the entire basis of our government and the core values of the nation. My understanding is that the rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights, i.e. the first ten Amendments, are not rights granted by the government, but are inalienable rights with which each individual is born. The philosophy behind it is that these basic rights are not something that can be given or taken by other men.
Yes, it can be repealed.

I understand that an amendment can be passed repealing it, though it would be difficult as was the Founders' intention. That's why I said legally. But you do understand that doing so may have all kinds of unintended consequences. I believe it would be the beginning of the end of the United States as a nation.

The fact that people are openly ready to abolish portions of the Bill of Rights shows that the beginning of the end has already begun, for better or for worse. American society does not hold the same values it used to (again, for better or for worse - an observation, not a judgment).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:11 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Haven't you all but promised an armed revolution in response to gun control?

If it comes to literal gun confiscations then yes as it would literally require armed federal agents to enter the homes and property of otherwise law abiding citizens. Do you not see how that can lead to armed confrontation?

Simple gun control measures will be met with a meh, gun confiscations on the other hand will not be met with such a reaction. Of course this is a moot point as I don't see such confiscations happening.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
arming teachers is perhaps the worst idea this idiot president has had yet... would go less than a week before some wacked out teacher kills a bunch of students.... trump should stick to watching fox and friends and eating mcdonalds.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:13 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Perhaps in cities and suburban centers you will see that change, but there are enough states in what constitutes rural America to completely block it. I'm willing to hold my ground on this one without fear of losing as I know repeal simply will not happen.

Way to be part of the solution.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next