It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
It's not a weak argument at all. The fact is that one thing was endeared to a culture for a long time, and then things changed. Which is the point. Times change, people change, thoughts change. Generally for the better. Let's hope the same thing happens with guns. Levelheaded and rational improvements in the gun laws to make things better in this country.

Did the attitudes really change in the South or was the Union holding something they needed over their heads to force adoption of the Amendment? You're being intentionally dishonest if you think the adoption of the 13th Amendment was via normal means. It literally required secession of the South, a Civil War, the South losing that war, and then the requirement of adopting it in order to regain admission.
Where did I talk about the 13th Amendment? All I did was talk about a culture that changed over time and point out that if it happened before, it absolutely is possible to happen again. You're the one being intentionally dishonest if you truly believe that cultures and people do not change over time.

You literally referenced the end of slavery via the amendment process so yes you were trying to use the 13th Amendment as an example here to say that a constitutional Amendment would be something that could eventually be passed.

While the 13th Amendment did abolish slavery, are you going to honestly tell me it was the result of cultures changing? I'd say 90 years of Jim Crow following the 13th Amendment tell us otherwise. I'd argue the cultures there have still not changed re race. See the birther movement.

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:14 pm 

pizza_Place: My own
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Perhaps in cities and suburban centers you will see that change, but there are enough states in what constitutes rural America to completely block it. I'm willing to hold my ground on this one without fear of losing as I know repeal simply will not happen.

Way to be part of the solution.

Repealing the 2nd amendment is the solution?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:15 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
This beginning of the end of the USA theme is becoming common with you Joe.

:lol: Well, the U.S. has had a long run already. What did Rome go? 600-700 years?

But ancient Egyptian society flourished what, 2500 years?

Stop with the low expectations, although we do have our own Nero now :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:15 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Perhaps in cities and suburban centers you will see that change, but there are enough states in what constitutes rural America to completely block it. I'm willing to hold my ground on this one without fear of losing as I know repeal simply will not happen.

I'm just pointing out that you can push repeal, it's not happening, and if that's what you're pushing then I certainly have no reason to compromise as I don't feel threatened by a political course of action that is DOA.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:16 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

:lol: Well, the U.S. has had a long run already. What did Rome go? 600-700 years?

The Roman Empire survived centuries after Nero

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:17 pm 

storkinastorm wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Trying may be.

I mean the answer to guns in school being proposed is MORE guns in school. Asking nicely won't work when tragedies like this are being used to sell more guns.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:17 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I'm just pointing out that you can push repeal, it's not happening, and if that's what you're pushing then I certainly have no reason to compromise as I don't feel threatened by a political course of action that is DOA.

You don't feel the need to compromise now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:19 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

You don't feel the need to compromise now.

I'd go for simple measures like raising the age and comprehensive background checks (but things which disqualify should require due process). Those are pretty much the only things I'm willing to give.

I'm 100% against banning semi-autos or capping magazine sizes.

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:20 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
You literally referenced the end of slavery via the amendment process
Nope.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Regular Reader wrote:

It is sort of like we're living The Satyricon. History repeats itself. That's why we study the classics.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
The 2nd Amendment will not be repealed, no matter how much Brick wants it to be.
BRick didn't say he wants it to be repealed. He said the threat of repealing it should be used as a chip to bring gun nuts like you to the bargaining table.

It’s an empty threat. It’s not gonna bring anyone to the table. Keep calling for it though if it makes you feel better.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:25 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
You literally referenced the end of slavery via the amendment process
Nope.

Except for the fact that you did

Frank Coztansa wrote:
There were states in rural America where slavery was part of the culture, and that too changed over time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:27 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Raising the age? Look, I understand that there aren't any perfect solutions, but are we really going to tell an 18 year old kid that he can fight and die for America but he can't legally buy a gun?

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
tommy wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Nas wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Nas wrote:
NRA wrote:
Crying white mothers are ratings gold.

YIKES!!! Of course the media loves to see kids murdered.

Why do they have to be white?

Ask the NRA. That's a direct quote from them. Did you find this gif on reddit?

By quoting me you should have seen the hyperlink you fucking Wakandan

Wait--we might be crossing some lines here.

When it was decided that an eye roll gif was racist, the line went out the window.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:30 pm 

Even the national Democrat Party doesn't want to touch this one in the midterms as they fear it can cost them what would be an otherwise winnable midterm

Josh Kraushaar‏Verified account
@HotlineJosh
Follow Follow @HotlineJosh
More
Dems' House campaign committee: "Party has no plan for a national messaging strategy on gun reform, citing the 'geographically and culturally diverse House battlefield'"

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/37496 ... m-midterms

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:31 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

It is sort of like we're living The Satyricon. History repeats itself. That's why we study the classics.

:lol: Haven't heard about that book since an English class my junior year in college. My professor got a laugh after she had me read parts of that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:32 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Trying may be.

I mean the answer to guns in school being proposed is MORE guns in school. Asking nicely won't work when tragedies like this are being used to sell more guns.

Honest question:

What are you going to say if some type of sweeping gun reform is passed and the next month, there's a mass shooting?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:33 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
The 2nd Amendment will not be repealed, no matter how much Brick wants it to be.
BRick didn't say he wants it to be repealed. He said the threat of repealing it should be used as a chip to bring gun nuts like you to the bargaining table.

It’s an empty threat. It’s not gonna bring anyone to the table. Keep calling for it though if it makes you feel better.

It's an empty threat right now but this generation is being raised with much more of an impact on their daily lives from guns than we were. They do mass shooting drills while we did tornado drills.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:33 pm 

Nas wrote:
Raising the age? Look, I understand that there aren't any perfect solutions, but are we really going to tell an 18 year old kid that he can fight and die for America but he can't legally buy a gun?

I think exceptions could be made for those with a military ID. Some states have looked into making such exceptions when it comes to alcohol as well

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:34 pm 

storkinastorm wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Trying may be.

Honest question:

What are you going to say if some type of sweeping gun reform is passed and the next month, there's a mass shooting?

Wish we had done it sooner.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:35 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Trying may be.

Honest question:

Wish we had done it sooner.

Change it to a year. What do you say then?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Only losers study classics. In fact most schools ditched those majors and are just letting the tenured profs die in their offices. STEM is where its at now, bro.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

It's an empty threat right now but this generation is being raised with much more of an impact on their daily lives from guns than we were. They do mass shooting drills while we did tornado drills.

Fuck that. We did nuclear bomb drills.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
tommy wrote:
Fuck that. We did nuclear bomb drills.

So did we up in McHenry Co. You never knew when we'd all be incinerated.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

What percentage of 18 year olds currently do you think have been impacted by gun violence? Is that percentage higher or lower than the percent of 18 year olds who were raised using them and would never give them up?

My guess would be the latter is still significantly larger.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:55 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Trying may be.

Yes, unless you can rid the streets of all guns, which in our 2018 view, seems impossible. Even if we banned all gun sales tomorrow there are hundreds of millions already on the streets. And then a black market would be created, wherein guns would come into our country much like illegal drugs do today.

On the violent streets of Chicago, we know there is gun violence. Most think the answer is more police with guns to deter them. Some even suggest a military presence.

Same for schools--don't make it easy for the killers. At a minimum, limit their ability to do mass killings by returning fire.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:01 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

What percentage of 18 year olds currently do you think have been impacted by gun violence? Is that percentage higher or lower than the percent of 18 year olds who were raised using them and would never give them up?

My guess would be the latter is still significantly larger.

It's near 100 percent who are doing AR15 rampage drills. That's going to have an impact.

As for the long term it depends on how much resistance there is to trying to change things to limit them. There will come a time when people get tired of the extreme obstruction of gun law changes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

We need Broken Matt to do away with the DUPLICITOUS Brother NERO!

The confrontashun would be DELIGHTFUL!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:03 pm 

storkinastorm wrote:

I don't think anything can stop all mass shootings. That doesn't mean we should do no meaningful changes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:

I don't think anything can stop all mass shootings. That doesn't mean we should do no meaningful changes.

Can't stop 'em all so why bother!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next