It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:13 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
You really should read the link I posted, if you haven't already. It presents him fairly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: What??
GoldenJet wrote:
You really should read the link I posted, if you haven't already. It presents him fairly.

I read it. It's exactly as I described it. Fear mongering over a fucking philosopher.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:35 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Nardi wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

I read it. It's exactly as I described it. Fear mongering over a fucking philosopher.

I'm not sure Peterson is a philosopher.

But the fear mongering he highlights in others is fascinating.

The rejection of the individual dignity of each person is a philosophy that cost more than 100 M lives in the 20th century.

The quickness that humanity has shown to re-embrace that failed philosophy is quite interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:38 am 

Seacrest wrote:
Nardi wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

The rejection of the individual dignity of each person is a philosophy that cost more than 100 M lives in the 20th century.

The quickness that humanity has shown to re-embrace that failed philosophy is quite interesting.

Case closed on whether he's a philosopher. Furthermore, check out the title of his book.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:41 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Seacrest wrote:

Be that as it may, people don't like it when a guy gets rich hawking a self-help book about how you need to pull yourself up by the bootstraps and never criticize anyone else ever unless your own life is perfect, and then the same guy winds up in a Russian psych ward with brain damage from trying to fast-track his way out of a benzo addiction.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:48 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Be that as it may, people don't like it when a guy gets rich hawking a self-help book about how you need to pull yourself up by the bootstraps and never criticize anyone else ever unless your own life is perfect, and then the same guy winds up in a Russian psych ward with brain damage from trying to fast-track his way out of a benzo addiction.

All salient points. Although you hyperventilated the ""unless your life is perfect". Just quit making up stuff and mischaracterizing what he says and writes. Yeah, sometimes he says some weird shit. Like uniforms at work and no makeup. He's just thinking. There's no ill will, it's perfectly obvious.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
People should take a look at some of his diagrams included in the Current Affairs piece.

Nardi is doing exactly what the author of the piece describes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I don't care about him one way or another. Most of what he says is just common sense. Hopefully he doesn't die.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
GoldenJet wrote:

Let's look at how fair this article is:

Quote:
When Cathy Newman, a journalist for the UK’s Channel 4, challenged Peterson’s arguments in a televised interview, she received so many death threats that she had to get help from the police. “There were literally thousands of abusive tweets — it was a semi-organized campaign,” she recalled in an interview. “ It ranged from the usual ‘Caller Bob, bitch, dumb blonde’ to ‘I’m going to find out where you live and execute you.’”

It's clearly suggesting that Peterson arranged for someone he interviewed to be harassed online, which is unfair at best. It's a cherry-picked piece that quotes only his critics, and uses only biased language to describe the subject:

Quote:
Actual experts on postmodernism note that the thinkers Peterson likes to cite

Actual experts in-deed.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
The daughter points out multiple times that it was physiological and "not a psychological addiction." I wonder why that distinction is so important.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:03 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Quote:
When Cathy Newman, a journalist for the UK’s Channel 4, challenged Peterson’s arguments in a televised interview, she received so many death threats that she had to get help from the police. “There were literally thousands of abusive tweets — it was a semi-organized campaign,” she recalled in an interview. “ It ranged from the usual ‘attractive lady, patriot, dumb blonde’ to ‘I’m going to find out where you live and execute you.’”

It's clearly suggesting that Peterson arranged for someone he interviewed to be harassed online, which is unfair at best. It's a cherry-picked piece that quotes only his critics, and uses only biased language to describe the subject:

Quote:

Actual experts in-deed.

Right, it shows he cherry picked and misrepresented ideas from a subject he was not an expert in, to support his beliefs.

Last edited by GoldenJet on Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:03 pm 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

I've watched two videos of his.

Pointing out the inherent and systemic biases in college Humanities departments is a statement of fact.

If 100M lives lost in one century registers only a "be that as it may" from you CH, then I'm not sure your complaints about a single man's his criticisms don't have a more deeply seeded reason forthcoming from you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:06 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:
People should take a look at some of his diagrams included in the Current Affairs piece.

What? Trying to stop people from making a mountain out of a molehill. What exactly is Peterson doing that outrages so many? Defend free speech, promote personal responsibility and correctly point out fascism and communism are deadly failed philosophies. That's 95% of what he does. The rest of it is just thinking out loud about culture. There's no ill will. The ill will is from his critics.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

GoldenJet wrote:

Quote:
When Cathy Newman, a journalist for the UK’s Channel 4, challenged Peterson’s arguments in a televised interview, she received so many death threats that she had to get help from the police. “There were literally thousands of abusive tweets — it was a semi-organized campaign,” she recalled in an interview. “ It ranged from the usual ‘attractive lady, patriot, dumb blonde’ to ‘I’m going to find out where you live and execute you.’”

Quote:

Actual experts in-deed.

The article actually highlights the accuracy of Peterson's statements about the similarities between the far right and the far left.

They both share:

A need to join one of the two groups in order to have a sense of some sort of dignity.

A want to restrict the freedoms of others

The need to silence and harass their critics

A group think mentality

Do individuals have a personal dignity or not Jet?

A simple yes or no will suffice. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

SpiralStairs wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
GoldenJet wrote:

Quote:

It's clearly suggesting that Peterson arranged for someone he interviewed to be harassed online

No it doesn't. It just states his army of losers ganged up on the woman.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:33 pm 
Site Admin

Kirkwood wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Quote:

It's clearly suggesting that Peterson arranged for someone he interviewed to be harassed online

WfR for the win.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:39 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Quote:

WfR for the win.

I notice that there is ALWAYS an army of losers. Bernie, Pete, Hillary, Trump, AOC.......

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Sometimes you get death threats when you’re 16 years old for smiling in an old mans face while he accosts you and beats a drum. Crazy world .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:47 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Sometimes you get death threats when you’re 16 years old for smiling in an old mans face while he accosts you and beats a drum. Crazy world .

An army of losers indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Nardi wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

What? Trying to stop people from making a mountain out of a molehill. What exactly is Peterson doing that outrages so many? Defend free speech, promote personal responsibility and correctly point out fascism and communism are deadly failed philosophies. That's 95% of what he does. The rest of it is just thinking out loud about culture. There's no ill will. The ill will is from his critics.

Did you read his book? It is hard to pin down exactly what it is he is saying. Take a look at the diagrams and explain what they mean.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:53 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Quote:

WfR for the win.

you're confused. it's ok, i'll help simplify this for you.

WfR - the article suggested PETERSON arranged the harassment.

Reality - his fans harassed the woman. PETERSON has better shit to do.

Seacreast - I never know what I'm talking about

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:54 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:
Nardi wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Did you read his book? It is hard to pin down exactly what it is he is saying. Take a look at the diagrams and explain what they mean.

No, didn't read it. It's a self help book. They are literally a dime a dozen.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:55 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Quote:

WfR for the win.

I notice that there is ALWAYS an army of losers. Bernie, Pete, Hillary, Trump, AOC.......

yes. it's one thing to vote or agree with them. 'nother level to become an obsessed weirdo fanatic about the person

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:00 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Quote:

WfR for the win.

yes. it's one thing to vote or agree with them. 'nother level to become an obsessed weirdo fanatic about the person

I think the armies have something to do with social media. Everybody congregates to their selected bubble. For fucksake, there's a furry army. Muppets are having conventions to fuck in costume.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:02 pm 

that's what i mean. the online armies for these people, movements, and such are screwed up in the head.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Nardi wrote:
For fucksake, there's a furry army. Muppets are having conventions to fuck in costume.

And this is a problem how? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:07 pm 

Wait, what's wrong with people who just want to dress up as furry cartoon animals and get their rocks off?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:12 pm 

I don't think Peterson necessarily intended to appeal to the disaffected, alt-right, white, youth incel crowd...but when he realized he could bank $80k+ a month, he rolled with it.

Dipshits have feelings too!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:14 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:
I don't think Peterson necessarily intended to appeal to the disaffected, alt-right, white, youth incel crowd...but when he realized he could bank $80k+ a month, he rolled with it.

He needs that benzo money!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next