It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Who Is The Worst Poster On This Message Board?
Baby McNown 22%  22%  [ 25 ]
chaspoppcap 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Frank Coztansa 7%  7%  [ 8 ]
Long Time Guy 13%  13%  [ 15 ]
Juice's Lecture Notes 16%  16%  [ 18 ]
Terry's Peeps 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Boilmaker Rick 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Beardown 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Seacrest 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
sinicalypse 8%  8%  [ 9 ]
Elmhurst Steve 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
Spanky 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
IMU 7%  7%  [ 8 ]
Panther pislA 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
America 9%  9%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 113
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:34 pm 

No. See waitingforruffcorns posts.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

This discussion was relative to America. When you couldn't refute it you globalized it to include Europeans and presumed that I didn't care about their struggles. That is the epitome of petty and it demonstrates that you have difficulty with conducting this sort of discussion.

I will expound on the point for you.

ON the reasons that slavery was able to continue was due to the "fact" that poor whites supported it almost as much as rich, aristocratic whites

The idea was white privilege, and I related my families person history as it was known to me. Plenty of poor whites took up arms and died to end slavery. So this pushing of guilt on an entire race is "problematic" to borrow a term from your camp, and you really are not understanding my point. You just want to engage in name calling because you are angry about the topic.

The concept of "white guilt" is your problem. Acknowledging that things haven't always been equal and even today some of those inequalities still remain is better than blind defiance, mentioning atrocities in other countries, or minimizing it because your ancestors had other challenges.

You seem to take it personally that inequality has existed and in some ways still does. You don't have to.

Discussing this is "taking it personally"? Why do you always have to take little shots like that?

We all know that only black suffering matters, but here is a point I was making earlier. I know of several local families from Romania and Poland.

Going back to their great grandparents-parents they lived through World War 1, the famine in the years after the war, the Great Depression, the rise of Fascism, the German invasion at the beginning of World War 2, five years of Nazi rule including genocide, the Red Army invasion at the end of the war, the mass rapes carried out by the Soviet army during their occupation, then decades of Soviet rule, which included poverty, famine and killing of land owners and political dissidents.

Telling these families to check their white privilege is absurd. Why does only Jim Crow era oppression "need to be acknowledged" or whatever you want done? Do we need to acknowledge that we bombed or fought wars against most Asian countries in the 20th Century because we did not like their politics?

I am using white guilt as a general term for whatever people want to call this political thought that white people are natural oppressors, and all of the resulting bad ideas that have come as a part of that including choosing to segregate and declaring that speech is violence.

I don't have a clear idea on what you want to remedy past atrocities. Reparations? A change in the laws? I think that's opening quite a Pandora's Box.

My family had plenty of bad things happen to them from the Russians too. It's irrelevant to what happened in this country.

Also you can start to respond to points here rather than things you read on Twitter. I don't think white people are naturally more oppressive. It just happened to be white people here.

As for what should be done it stars with acknowledging the unequal past. Let me know when you are ready to.

Quit with your fake talking points: You are triggered. What you read "on Twitter." This issue is being debated all over the country on college campuses, and there are political rallies and demonstrations to discuss it.

What happens in other countries still matters here because American decisions affects those countries, and we are a nation of immigrants.

I've already acknowledged the Jim Crow past, why is that the only past you are interested in "correcting" or whatever you want to do. Do we need to issue a statement that we meddled in Asia affairs, killed millions of them and set quotas on immigrants from Asia? What about the families affected by the National Guard breaking up strike or demonstrators?

That's my point there are a lot of sins of the past, and to single out the oppression of one group is a disservice to others.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

You are a dishonest person at best. And you know little beyond shallow talking points.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Great talking points today!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:46 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

This discussion was relative to America. When you couldn't refute it you globalized it to include Europeans and presumed that I didn't care about their struggles. That is the epitome of petty and it demonstrates that you have difficulty with conducting this sort of discussion.

ON the reasons that slavery was able to continue was due to the "fact" that poor whites supported it almost as much as rich, aristocratic whites

The idea was white privilege, and I related my families person history as it was known to me. Plenty of poor whites took up arms and died to end slavery. So this pushing of guilt on an entire race is "problematic" to borrow a term from your camp, and you really are not understanding my point. You just want to engage in name calling because you are angry about the topic.

The concept of "white guilt" is your problem. Acknowledging that things haven't always been equal and even today some of those inequalities still remain is better than blind defiance, mentioning atrocities in other countries, or minimizing it because your ancestors had other challenges.

You seem to take it personally that inequality has existed and in some ways still does. You don't have to.

Discussing this is "taking it personally"? Why do you always have to take little shots like that?

We all know that only black suffering matters, but here is a point I was making earlier. I know of several local families from Romania and Poland.

Going back to their great grandparents-parents they lived through World War 1, the famine in the years after the war, the Great Depression, the rise of Fascism, the German invasion at the beginning of World War 2, five years of Nazi rule including genocide, the Red Army invasion at the end of the war, the mass rapes carried out by the Soviet army during their occupation, then decades of Soviet rule, which included poverty, famine and killing of land owners and political dissidents.

Telling these families to check their white privilege is absurd. Why does only Jim Crow era oppression "need to be acknowledged" or whatever you want done? Do we need to acknowledge that we bombed or fought wars against most Asian countries in the 20th Century because we did not like their politics?

I am using white guilt as a general term for whatever people want to call this political thought that white people are natural oppressors, and all of the resulting bad ideas that have come as a part of that including choosing to segregate and declaring that speech is violence.

I don't have a clear idea on what you want to remedy past atrocities. Reparations? A change in the laws? I think that's opening quite a Pandora's Box.

My family had plenty of bad things happen to them from the Russians too. It's irrelevant to what happened in this country.

Also you can start to respond to points here rather than things you read on Twitter. I don't think white people are naturally more oppressive. It just happened to be white people here.

As for what should be done it stars with acknowledging the unequal past. Let me know when you are ready to.

Quit with your fake talking points: You are triggered. What you read "on Twitter." This issue is being debated all over the country on college campuses, and there are political rallies and demonstrations to discuss it.

What happens in other countries still matters here because American decisions affects those countries, and we are a nation of immigrants.

I've already acknowledged the Jim Crow past, why is that the only past you are interested in "correcting" or whatever you want to do. Do we need to issue a statement that we meddled in Asia affairs, killed millions of them and set quotas on immigrants from Asia? What about the families affected by the National Guard breaking up strike or demonstrators?

That's my point there are a lot of sins of the past, and to single out the oppression of one group is a disservice to others.

Keep it to the USA. That's the point. In the United States for pretty much the entire history white people have had a head start for many reasons. Everything you said is just deflecting from that.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

You are a dishonest person at best. And you know little beyond shallow talking points.

Brick is one of the best trolls you will ever see. Have some fucking respect.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:04 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

So the essence of your argument relates other groups not being properly acknowledged in terms of the suffering that they faced? You still don't see how this is a false equivalency on a number of levels. In making this rather fallacious argument you presume to know how others feel about such things too.

Last edited by long time guy on Mon May 07, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:12 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Don’t most people know about the unequal past Rick?

I think the fix for racial issues is perplexing to some because it isn’t a simple problem. If your light bulb burns out fix it. Not this stuff no. Half the time the problem can’t even be correctly identified. It’s like social cancer.

For technical people and even money folks there is a way I look at the solving of race relations. You start with a problem and make exponential strides towards a total solution. The thing is the closer you get to the end the longer it seems to take and the smaller the steps appear.

I am not telling anyone else how to feel certainly but I have to try to be positive. This will never be solved 100% in my lifetime probably but I won’t shit on the progress that’s been made. Also people can talk about white guilt all they want. In everything I control every day I will do the right thing in this regard.

Not much I can do or say really. Might as well retire from racial posts.

No you shouldn't. One of the important things is for everyone to have a space at this table. All honest opinions need to be heard and the diversity of experiences need to be included to have a healthy discussion.

Sometimes it's comfortable just to hear and find even a temporary common middle ground when some take to their talking points

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:13 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Regular Reader wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Don’t most people know about the unequal past Rick?

I think the fix for racial issues is perplexing to some because it isn’t a simple problem. If your light bulb burns out fix it. Not this stuff no. Half the time the problem can’t even be correctly identified. It’s like social cancer.

For technical people and even money folks there is a way I look at the solving of race relations. You start with a problem and make exponential strides towards a total solution. The thing is the closer you get to the end the longer it seems to take and the smaller the steps appear.

I am not telling anyone else how to feel certainly but I have to try to be positive. This will never be solved 100% in my lifetime probably but I won’t shit on the progress that’s been made. Also people can talk about white guilt all they want. In everything I control every day I will do the right thing in this regard.

Not much I can do or say really. Might as well retire from racial posts.

No you shouldn't. One of the important things is for everyone to have a space at this table. All honest opinions need to be heard and the diversity of experiences need to be included to have a healthy discussion.

Sometimes it's comfortable just to hear and find even a temporary common middle ground when some take to their talking points

Ok then.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Great discussion today

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:04 pm 

I am not a great poster but I have the capacity to occasionally be great

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Racism ended a long time ago.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Regular Reader wrote:

Chances are that my grandfather couldn't safely live his peaceful, productive life in your grandfather's neighborhood. And that to many of his neighbors, that was just they way they wanted it. The reverse likely was not true and therefore many of the experiences are not in fact comparable. Hell, when my parents moved us onto our block, we were the second family of color. Within three years, there were only two non-black families on the block, and one of those had older kids who loved to throw rocks at kids barely into kindergarten. That is until other black families with older kids put a stop to it. And fwiw with one exception, those two families were oddly the only ones headed by non-professional fathers.

And what you see as pushing guilt, is from my perspective is promoting a more honest historical discussion. Which makes MANY uncomfortable.

I don't know that you can make that statement with that degree of certainty.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Regular Reader wrote:
As I said my grandfather was a laborer his entire life. Who do you think he had more in common with your grandfather or the Kennedys?

I've never denied that racism was a terrible stain on this country, but why do we want to continue to insist that the only suffering in this country was due to racism and that our experiences are not comparable. It's divisive at best to say all white people have this incredible privilege, and it's putting people into camps along lines that people Richard Spencer would prefer.

There is nothing to be gained by pushing guilt on people for a past they had nothing to do with.

Chances are that my grandfather couldn't safely live his peaceful, productive life in your grandfather's neighborhood. And that to many of his neighbors, that was just they way they wanted it. The reverse likely was not true and therefore many of the experiences are not in fact comparable. Hell, when my parents moved us onto our block, we were the second family of color. Within three years, there were only two non-black families on the block, and one of those had older kids who loved to throw rocks at kids barely into kindergarten. That is until other black families with older kids put a stop to it. And fwiw with one exception, those two families were oddly the only ones headed by non-professional fathers.

And what you see as pushing guilt, is from my perspective is promoting a more honest historical discussion. Which makes MANY uncomfortable.

Go talk to some real old Irish folk about what they went through, you know the indentured servitude thing aka slavery that was done to them along with the Irish need not apply or no Irish allowed stuff. Hell,there are still places in Africa where slavery is still being practiced. I am not even goingto go into the Islamic world cuze yah know they are the religion of peace and tolerance.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:47 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

I don't know that you can make that statement with that degree of certainty.

You'd like to believe that, but racial covenants were embraced in the city until Carl Hansberry went to the Supreme Court and won in the 40s. And you really may want to look into local history for this area until 1970. And urban/suburban planners as well.

I had to do some family work on family property in Park Manor about 20 years ago and got a laugh after pulling title and seeing the covenant in black and white.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:54 pm 

That I believe. I don't think white families or white people in predominately black neighborhoods are very welcome, at least not in my experience or from others I know.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:55 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
leashyourkids wrote:
Racism ended a long time ago.

Yup.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:57 pm 
1000 CLUB

Why the hell do I only have 2 votes?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:59 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
That I believe. I don't think white families or white people in predominately black neighborhoods are very welcome, at least not in my experience or from others I know.

From many (cynical) property owners, they're welcomed with open arms, if only because it fuels a belief in rising property values and increased city service to follow

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:01 pm 

Beardown wrote:

Because Jason and Spiegel only get one vote apiece

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:02 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
chaspoppcap wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
As I said my grandfather was a laborer his entire life. Who do you think he had more in common with your grandfather or the Kennedys?

I've never denied that racism was a terrible stain on this country, but why do we want to continue to insist that the only suffering in this country was due to racism and that our experiences are not comparable. It's divisive at best to say all white people have this incredible privilege, and it's putting people into camps along lines that people Richard Spencer would prefer.

There is nothing to be gained by pushing guilt on people for a past they had nothing to do with.

Go talk to some real old Irish folk about what they went through, you know the indentured servitude thing aka slavery that was done to them along with the Irish need not apply or no Irish allowed stuff. Hell,there are still places in Africa where slavery is still being practiced. I am not even goingto go into the Islamic world cuze yah know they are the religion of peace and tolerance.

Didn't all the Irish become police officers and judges? I mean, stereotypes exist for a reason right?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:13 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

From many (cynical) property owners, they're welcomed with open arms, if only because it fuels a belief in rising property values and increased city service to follow

By using cynical as a qualifier you are saying the white families aren't accepted in or as part of the neighborhood. I can see where that would lead to issues.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:22 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
No posting, just vote your conscience.

I see 19 pages of dumb fucks didn't get the memo.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:25 pm 

I voted for you if that helps anything. It was a write in. You really should be on the list, no need to try any harder, just be yourself.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:45 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Beardown wrote:

Because, try as you might, you're nowhere near as bad as JLN, IMU, or Elmhurst Steve

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:01 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Because, try as you might, you're nowhere near as bad as JLN, IMU, or Elmhurst Steve

JLN and IMU are not bad. They are misunderstood :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:06 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Juiced wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Beardown wrote:

JLN and IMU are not bad. They are misunderstood :lol:

Opinions are like assholes...

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
People have turned on me since March Madness. :(

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Gigio's in Des Plaines
Frank Coztansa wrote:
One Post wrote:
A black child born in Alabama in 1961 was a slave.
...to the rhythm.

My man Frank with the Chuck Chillout reference. Very impressive.

https://youtu.be/D4VxSG3TdoI

Although the vocal sample in the hook is unlistenable. It derails an otherwise classic track.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Spaulding wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

By using cynical as a qualifier you are saying the white families aren't accepted in or as part of the neighborhood. I can see where that would lead to issues.

Most Black Chicagoans want stable and diverse neighborhoods.

Frank's comment was one of his funniest during my time here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next