It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Furious Styles wrote:
Is there any work involved?

I just saw this thread and the remaining colleges are really uninspiring.

The colleges are totally meaningless -- I am using an aspect of them to form the teams, when you hear what it is you will think it is dumb. In past contests, I had cities, and we used the high temperature in the city to form the teams. It is something extremely similar. The colleges completely go away after we form the teams.

There's not a lot of work involved, especially in the team round. Here's an example from Season 1:

Quote:
Challenge #3 -- Jan 14, 2011

Welcome to the third challenge. On Friday night, the Bulls will take on the Pacers in Indianapolis. The Bulls are coming off a tough road loss in Charlotte, and the Pacers are the winners of two in a row. Will talent determine the winner, or will momentum win out in the end? Tune in to Comcast Sports Net to watch the game at 6pm on Friday.

Your mission is to choose five players to assemble your team. Unlike the football challenge, there is no salary cap to concern yourself with. The challenge here is to assign the players to the right categories. Each player may be active in only one of the following categories:

Points -- Each point your player scores is worth one for your team
Rebounds -- Each rebound your player records is worth two points for your team
Assists -- Each assist your player records is worth two and a half points for your team
Personal Fouls -- Each personal foul committed by your player is worth six points for your team
Three Pointers -- Each three pointer made by your player is worth eight points for your team

You must have a player assigned to each category. You may not have the same player assigned to multiple categories. You may choose from anybody on the Pacers or the Bulls. In this contest, as well as the remaining challenges of CSFMB Survivor, points won for your team by Brian Scalabrine will be doubled.

Tiebreaker #1 -- The total number of three point shots made by the Bulls
Tiebreaker #2 -- The total number of Roy Hibbert rebounds

Shake That won the last challenge, so they can choose a bonus option. Only one of these options may be used, so think about it before you make a selection.
Option A - Exclusive Player. If this option is chosen, you can pick one player to be exclusively yours. The captain (Douchebag) must post in this thread that Shake That is choosing Option A and list the exclusive player by tonight at 9PM. If 9PM passes without a post, this option is no longer available.
Option B - Sixth Man Presence. If this option is chosen, you can pick another player for your team. This player would score 3.5 points for each steal or rebound he records in the game. This player cannot be the same as one of your players in the original categories.
Option C - Straight Up Points. If you take this option, you'll start with a 5 point bonus.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:30 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I was a huge Turner Gill fan as a yout'.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:33 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:
How does it work?

See my previous post for an example. The game starts off with tribes (or teams) that gather ahead of time to figure out who they want to put forward as their predictions for some upcoming sporting event. Everyone but the losing tribe is safe from elimination. The losing tribe then gets to vote on who should get kicked out of the game. As we go on, players will reduce, teams will reduce, and eventually we get to an every man for himself, but by then there are usually some pretty strong behind-the-scenes alliances going on, so even if you don't win a contest, if you've done well with securing some backing amongst your friends, you are safe to go forward.

Once we get to three players left, we more or less stop, then have a little interview segment where we say who did the best -- it can be the best predictions, the best at forming alliances, the best at tricking people about other alliances, etc. Whoever gets the most votes wins. It has been pretty fun in the past, and unlike the TV show, I never find out what was -truly- going on behind the scenes, so it is pretty interesting to watch it unfold.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:34 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
Is there any work involved?

I just saw this thread and the remaining colleges are really uninspiring.

The colleges are just to divide up teams. Like picking a number. I would guess it is so we can't clique up

Yes, that is exactly it, and so I am not accused of rigging the teams.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:36 pm 

pizza_Place: *
William & Mary

No traces of you, what can I do?
Alone and confused

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:46 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
This seems exceedingly difficult.

And I don't like to talk to people.

But I am not going to give up.

I am not going to stop.

I am planning to work harder.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:19 am 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
SpiralStairs wrote:
Gimme Herm Edwards University.

Arizona State?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:30 am 

No one trusted me the first time. Can we just vote me out now?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:32 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
UAB

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:01 pm 

Reposting first post as I will overwrite tonight with the teams...

I'm bringing it back, pending approval of The Three Wisemen of course!

We've done this twice before and after a multi-year hiatus in which multiple children have moved on to college and military activities, I think I have enough free time to run another one of these contests. The idea is much like the show on CBS, although I don't always wear a blue shirt when I am typing. We will initially start off with three tribes... each tribe will participate in a sports related prediction contest. This will involve all sorts of sports - playoff baseball, college football, college basketball, NFL, NBA, and perhaps other random sports things for a change of pace... this is the perfect time of year to be able to hit as wide a variety of sports as we can. The top two tribes in the challenge will retain immunity while the bottom finisher will have to vote off one of their own.

As we go through the game, tribes may be reconstituted, and eventually, eliminated altogether where every challenge becomes an individual immunity challenge. There will be other wrinkles as we go on which include special bonuses for winning players/teams. You may form alliances behind the scenes and target eliminating specific people, you may double cross people along the way. The final three survivors will make it to Judgement Day, where the last nine players to be voted out of the game will have the chance to judge who should be the sole survivor of CFMB Survior Season 3.

There will also be hidden immunity idols along the way... find one of them and send me an email/PM. If you've found a true hidden immunity idol, I will let you know -- you can play it during any voting out period and all votes against you won't count... or if you are feeling really bold, you can play it for someone else and votes against them won't count.

Basic schedule should be a challenge on Saturday or Sunday with results posted later that day, voting will happen throughout the day on Monday, with Tuesday announcement of who is eliminated as well as the Wednesday contest. Results are then posted along with a Thursday voting period. Friday we will announce who was voted out, as well as what the next Sat/Sun contest is. We'll take some time off during the holidays as well, so it isn't a hard and fast schedule. More rules to follow after we have sign-ups full.

Prize for winning is a collection of Visa/AmEx/Other gift cards that I have, and the rights to call yourself a CFMB Survivor Champion!

Rules for entry are:
* Must have at least 1000 posts when signing up
* Must claim to know a little bit about sports
* Must keep CFMB Survivor related chatter to this thread only
* Must be open to having fun

To enter, pick one of these schools - first come, first served (blue = team already taken.) It can be your favorite, or least favorite... it doesn't matter; these will be used to determine the initial tribes (exactly how is a secret that will be revealed later.) Limiting this to the first 27 eligible responders in the thread -- ideally, looking to start on Wednesday with the first challenge.

• Alabama Birmingham - sjboyd0137
  • Arizona State - SpiralStairs
  • Boise State - FavreFan
  • Brown - Nas
  • Buffalo - donspiracy
  • Butler - RFDC
  • BYU
  • Clemson
  • Colorado - Matt Murton's Beard (first reply +350 post bonus)
  • Eastern Michigan - Boilermaker Rick
  • Florida International
  • Georgetown - FrankDrebin
  • Illinois State - America
  • Kansas State
  • Louisville - IMU
  • Marquette
  • Minnesota
  • Nebraska - Dr. Kenneth Noisewater
  • North Dakota State - 312player
  • Ohio State - Joe Orr Road Rod
  • Old Dominion - Don Tiny
  • Texas Tech - Toxic Masculinity
  • Tulane
  • UCSD
  • UNLV - Terry's Peeps
  • Washington State
  • William & Mary - Free Ajent

Last edited by newper on Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:30 pm 

Thanks Newper, don't forget to give Spiral ASU.

Looking forward to it!

SpiralStairs wrote:
Gimme Herm Edwards University.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Really disappointed South Carolina University wasn't a choice.

SCU!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:35 pm 

I will soon post the teams and the first challenge, but here's some rules/guidelines that will apply throughout the game.

Communication
All official communications need to be sent to cfmbsurvivor@email.com. PMs through the site can be sent for unofficial reasons (rule clarifications, complaining about stuff, etc.) but all contest entries and votes need to go through the cfmbsurvivor@email.com address. This is so there is no chance of any tampering with results, and everything is timestamped through the email site. All deadlines will be enforced... if a contest says votes need to be in by Tuesday at 4:30PM Central, anything after that will be disregarded. On your first email, please give me your board name so I can tie the two together. And don't worry, I'm not selling your email addresses to the Russians as a side hustle.

Teams
During the first phase of the game, we will be participating in groups of two teams. As part of the first challenge, your team should get together and determine what your team name will be, and include with your entry to the contest email address. It is possible that team members will switch teams during the contest, and at some point, the contest will transition into an individual only mode. I will post further individual instructions at that time.

Team Captain Rules
Each team will have a team captain that has been determined randomly (the methodology will be explained when teams are revealed.) Each captain will remain the team captain until they are eliminated from the game or transfer their captainship. Transfers can only occur when a vote is not underway, and are completed by the captain posting in the Survivor thread indicating who they are transfering their captainship to. The captain-to-be must respond in the thread accepting the captainship to complete the transfer. If a captain is voted off during a voting session, the player who cast the first vote against the captain will become the new captain. If a captain is otherwise removed (DQ'd from the game), I will use random.org to pick a new captain.

Team Challenges
Roughly twice a week we will be holding a challenge (there will be time off during holidays.) The challenge will be related to the sporting world in some way, and will be touch a variety of sports that are going on at the time. During the team challenge round, the captain will be required to submit an entry which answers the questions asked within the challenge. Team members are encouraged to confer prior to the captain submitting the entry, but the first entry submitted by the captain to the contest email address will be the one that is used. Note: If you accidentally leave a question unanswered, you can submit another email to address those blanks, but you will not be allowed to change previous entries. If the captain does not submit an entry before the entry deadline, the team will score no points for the round, and the captain will get a strike (more on that later.) The team that wins the challenge will be safe for that voting period. The team that loses the challenge will have to vote someone off the team. In some team challenges, there may points awarded by individuals responding to something, so even if you are not the captain, you need to be on your toes.

Challenge Bonuses
If your team wins a challenge (also applies to individual mode when we reach it), the winning team will have a choice between three bonuses in the next challenge. The bonus is going to be a 5%-15% type of bonus point, but in some cases, you may have to declare your bonus option before the challenge happens (for example, you may have the rights to an exclusive claim on a player or team.) If the deadline passes for one of the bonus options, the team (or individual later on) can choose one of the other eligible bonus options.

Brian Scalabrine Challenge Rule
As with all previous versions of this contest, any points earned by choosing Brian Scalabrine count double.

Hidden Immunity Idols

Periodically throughout the game, I will hide immunity idols in the thread. The immunity idols will consist of "Hidden Idol Keyword XXXX" where the XXXX will be a secret word. To claim an immunity idol, send an email to the contest email address with a subject "Hidden Idol Keyword XXXX" and then feel free to write any notes you want in the body. If you are correct, you will receive a reply indicating as such. If not, you will not have a reply. You may transfer an immunity idol to another player by writing the email address and indicating who you wish to transfer it to. I will inform the player that they have inherited an immunity idol, but will not give any further information. All hidden immunity idols are invalid after the game gets down to 5 players or less. To play the idol during a vote, just include that fact in your vote email (more info below.) As of now, there are no hidden idols available. I will not announce when one is made available, but I may mention when there is one or more unclaimed one at my discretion.

Vote Out
The team that loses will hold a vote to eliminate a player from the game. Each member of the team will need to email the player they would like to vote out to the contest email address. Only the first vote received will count. You must vote if you are on the losing team. Failure to vote earns a strike, and this overrides any immunity. If you have played an immunity idol (or have individual challenge immunity) any votes against you will not count. The player with the most votes against them will be out of the game. If there is a tie in voting, whomever had the first vote cast amongst the players involved in the tie will be eliminated. EDIT: The tie situation will change once we go to individual immunity (as I've just now read my notes from the 2011 edition.)

Strikes
This game is a three strikes and you are out. This rule overrides any other rule listed. Each player left in the game will be shown on the first post, and any strikes they have accumulated will show next to their name.

Prize Jury and Winning The Game
Once we are down to the final twelve players, those that are voted out will retain a spot on the jury. We continue this game until there are only three players left. At that point, there will be nine members of the jury and three contestants fighting for the championship. The thread will be open for three days for jurors to ask questions, contestants repsond and make statements, and for the jurors to make up their mind who to vote for. There will then be a 24 hour window where jurors can send their vote of who they want to win to the contest email address. The winner will be the contestant that gets the most votes... if there is a tie, we will eliminate the vote of the first member to join the jury, then the second, etc. until the tie is broken.

Other Stuff
Feel free to ask questions -- a lot of this will make more sense as you start to play. I think the majority have played this before several years ago, so help out your teammates.

Teams and captains coming in a few more minutes....

Last edited by newper on Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:44 pm 

Initial Teams
You were asked to pick a college/university in order to assign teams fairly. We ended up with 18 total players, so we are going to start with two groups of nine players each. The way the groups are determined is based upon the founding date of the school as an independent entity, regardless of name changes along the way. The team captain is the player who is in the middle of each group. Without further ado, here are the teams (*** denotes captain)

Team A
William & Mary (1693) - Free ajent
Brown (1764) - Nas
Georgetown (1789) - FrankDrebin
Louisville (1798) - IMU
Buffalo (1846) - donspiracy ***
Eastern Michigan (1849) - Boilermaker Rick
Butler (1855) - RFDC
Illinois State (1857) - America
Nebraska (1869) - Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Team B
Ohio State (1870) - Joe Orr Road Rod
Colorado (1876) - Matt Murton's Beard
Arizona State (1885) - SpiralStairs
North Dakota State (1890) - 312player
Texas Tech (1923) - Toxic Masculinity ***
Old Dominion (1930) - Don Tiny
Boise State (1932) - FavreFan
UNLV (1957) - Terry's Peeps
Alabama - Birmingham (1969) - sjboyd0137

When your team captain submits your entry for the first challenge, they should also include the team name -- or if you want, captains you can just announce it in this thread. Just make sure you put in "final answer" so I know you aren't just discussing name options with other team members. :) First challenge to be posted in a few minutes -- entry deadline is Saturday at 9AM. It won't be baseball because I know some of you need a cooling off period.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:54 pm 

I feel like having watched the TV show might be an advantage.

I thought my NASCAR rules were detailed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:57 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

:lol:

Yea I have never ever watched one episode of the show so I doubt I'm going to be any good here.

I mean at least I have watched Brad Keselowski go around and around on a track before.

Alone and confused

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:57 pm 

Basically, if your team wins the challenge, you are safe and don't have to worry about anything. If your team loses, hopefully you have formed some alliances on your team that can form a voting bloc and keep you and your allies safe for that vote off. More advanced: if you make it to the end of the game you want to have a good story to tell, so if you are contributing to wins, coordinating votes behind the scenes, or finding immunity idols, it helps with your story.

Quote:

Sometimes people want something to read on the toilet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:06 pm 

Challenge #1 - Saturday, October 6th

Only the emails to cfmbsurvivor@email.com will count from the team captain. All others should certainly get involved in discussions and give your opinion to your team though.

Part 1 - Game Lines - Pick three teams from the list below. Using the pointspread, if you have picked the winning side, you'll get two points per correct pick. If all three of your picks are winners, you will get a bonus two points. If you submit more than three selections, only the first three listed will be used.
Georgia Tech -4.5 vs Louisville
Illinois -4.5 vs Rutgers
Kentucky -5.5 vs Texas A&M
LSU -2.5 vs Florida
Michigan State -10.5 vs Northwestern
Northern Illinois -2.5 vs Ball State
Notre Dame -6.5 vs Virginia Tech
Oklahoma -7.5 vs Texas
South Carolina - 0.5 vs Missouri

Part 2 - Player Props - Pick three of these sides from the props listed below. If you pick the winning side, you'll get two points per correct pick, with a bonus two points if all three of your picks are winners. If you submit more than three, only the first three listed will be used.
A.J. Brown (Ole Miss) - Over or Under 99.5 yards receiving
Bobby Roundtree (Illinois) - Over or Under 0.1 sacks
Byron Murphy (Washington) - Over or Under 0.5 INTs+FFs
Drew Lock (Missouri) - Over or Under 26.5 completions
Jonathon Taylor (Wisconsin) - Over or Under 1.5 touchdowns
Kelvin Harmon (NC State) - Over or Under 5.5 receptions
Kyler Murray (Oklahoma) - Over or Under 265.5 passing yards
Nick Brosette (LSU) - Over or Under 68.5 rushing yards
Paddy Fisher (Northwestern) - Over or Under 6.5 total tackles (solo + assisted)

Part 3 - Points Ladder - Sort these teams in order of least number of points scored to the highest number of points scored. If your second team scores more (or equal) points than your first team listed, you win 2 points. If the third team scores more (or equal) than the second team listed, you get another 2 points. This continues until you run the ladder completely, or you have your first incorrect selection. I'll post an example in the next post -- you can potentially get 16 points if you have everything sorted exactly. The teams you must rank (and rank them all) are:
Alabama
Boise State
Illinois
Iowa
Michigan
Northern Illinois
Northwestern
Stanford
Wake Forest

Bonus Point: For one point, correctly predict if Lee Corso will predict Oklahoma or Texas to win

Tie-breaker: Total points scored in Utah-Stanford game. For the entirety of this contest, the tie-breaker does -not- use Price is Right rules... going over is OK. Closest to the total will win and break any ties.

Entries are due from the team captains by Saturday at 9AM. Don't forget to send your team name in with the entry as well if you haven't already declared.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:07 pm 

Sample Entry
Just for an example, here is what a sample entry might be:
---
Team Name: ISOP
Part 1 - GA Tech, Illinois, Texas A&M
Part 2 - Murray over, Brosette over, Fisher over
Part 3 - Northern Illinois, Stanford, Northwestern, Wake Forest, Iowa, Boise State, Alabama, Illinois, Michigan
Bonus - Oklahoma
Tie Break - 63
---

A little explanation on part 3... so for that part, imagine that NIU scored 13 points, Stanford 20, Northwestern 21, Wake Forest 21, Iowa 18, Boise State 33, etc.

So since I had Stanford second and they scored more than NIU, I get 2 points for that. Northwestern scored more than Stanford, so I get 2 points for that. Wake Forest tied Northwestern which is still good for me, and I get 2 points for that. Unfortunately, Iowa scored less than Wake Forest so that is the end of the scoring for me and I end up with 6 points for that section.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:10 pm 

Well, I didn't realize this was just going to start out with some college football picks.

[Cracks knuckles] - LET'S DO THIS!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:13 pm 

So, with do we debate our ideas in the thread or do we communicate with the Captain privately?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
As of now I like Peep's B Team suggestion but I'm open to any others. I am available by PM or on the Discord all day.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:17 pm 

Well, I didn't realize this was just going to start out with some college football picks.

[Cracks knuckles] - LET'S DO THIS!!

I feel a little better now. :lol:

Alone and confused

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:20 pm 

So, with do we debate our ideas in the thread or do we communicate with the Captain privately?

You can communicate however you like -- there is no restriction from a game rules perspective. There are certain things you might want to keep private, and other things you might want to make public, or bluff publicly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:29 pm 

newper wrote:

You can communicate however you like -- there is no restriction from a game rules perspective. There are certain things you might want to keep private, and other things you might want to make public, or bluff publicly.

Ohhh, it's a deception deal!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:32 pm 

Ohhh, it's a deception deal!!

More of a deception thing, but yeah... there will likely be some deception going on through the contest.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:39 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:03 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
And just a reminder, the amount of people in a single PM chain was raised from 5 to 10 I believe. And so Pittmike doesn't freak out, that was done over a year ago.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
IMU wrote:
And just a reminder, the amount of people in a single PM chain was raised from 5 to 10 I believe. And so Pittmike doesn't freak out, that was done over a year ago.

:lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next