It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ask W_Z
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:41 am 

Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
Wharton Zach,

Remember the chick who played Randy in Airplane? Man, she was really hot. In the movie, she didn't have a husband, but I don't know if she was single in real life, too.

Anyway, what's your favorite English-language series that does not feature Ice-T?

He was great in Breakin'. I really connected with his raps, like this one:

Hip-Hopping is a way of life,
With graffiti and rapping on the mic
As the record scratches to the break of beat
The Hip-Hop was sound of the street!
The Hip-Hopping, being around a while
With the serious funk, that people style
A record scratches, a simple rap
A breaker spinning on his back.

english-language series? this would've been an easier answer until rebooting series started getting out of hand.

i think for all-time, it'll be the *original* run of MST3K. seasons 1-10. the rebooted Netflix series (season 11, season 12 "the gauntlet) has decent episodes but it never quite got into rythem. although, i did like jonas as the new guy.

the re-rebooted series on their Gizmodo launch is dreadful. it's sad, really. i like that they've kept up turkey day broadcasts since the late aughts. but that really was enough for me. i don't need new MST since we already have Rifftrax, which is always hit or miss but still is the best reincarnation of the MST spirit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:42 am 

Nas wrote:
I've never watched Stars Wars or Star Trek; which one should I watch first? Why?

2 completely different things. "star trek" is true science fiction; "star wars" is an action western set in space.

and there's no way in hell i believe you haven't seen either at all. LIAR!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:47 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
W_Z wrote:
Nas wrote:
I've never watched Stars Wars or Star Trek; which one should I watch first? Why?

2 completely different things. "star trek" is true science fiction; "star wars" is an action western set in space.

If we went through the list of things that I hadn't seen before covid, you would probably think I was in prison for most of my life. I know the characters because of pop culture, and I've seen bits and pieces of some of the movies, but I've never actively watched any of them.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:56 am 

if you can somehow find the theatrical (pre-special edition) edition of "star wars: a new hope", it's worth watching. you'll know if it's pre-special edition because it won't say "Episode IV" on the opening crawl.

and for "star trek", watch "star trek II: the wrath of khan". if you enjoy that, then try the original series first.

maybe not prison, but you've been raising kids since W's presidency...so i get it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Yeah, Star Trek II:The Wrath of Khan is the best intro to the ST universe. The editing of the first battle with Khan and Kirk is just perfect.

As for Star Wars, I would depart the conventional wisdom, and recommend Rogue One, and then Episode IV.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:31 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Yeah, Star Trek II:The Wrath of Khan is the best intro to the ST universe. The editing of the first battle with Khan and Kirk is just perfect.

Ricardo Montalban should of been nominated for an academy award for that performance and I'm not even a Star Trek fan.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:34 am 
1000 CLUB

You going to do a review of Ant Man's Daughter and Wasp: Quantumania?

Where Avatar 2 was a 3 hour movie that felt like 2 hours this a 2 hour movie that feels like 4.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:09 pm 

I never saw any of the “ant man” movies. Just like when I read comics I picked and chose what I wanted to consume. So in the movies and stuff I might miss a reference but I’m not spending hours of my time watching stuff that doesn’t interest me.

It was also a real odd ad campaign for Heineken 0.0 to partner with the franchise.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:08 pm 
1000 CLUB

We had a couple hours to kill and I wanted to support my local theater. There were only 6 people on a Saturday so not very good. I knew it was going to be bad but I thought there would at least be some fun to be had. There wasn't. I don't know if you know who MODOK is but he should of been a great character but they did him dirty. He looked ridiculous. You aren't missing anything.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:22 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Jaw Breaker wrote:
As for Star Wars, I would depart the conventional wisdom, and recommend Rogue One, and then Episode IV.

That's a pretty good idea.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:28 pm 

W_Z wrote:
Nas wrote:

I’ve never seen any of the Star Trek movies nor than a couple of minutes of any of the tv shows either. Just never had the interest in either. There may be a couple of the newer Star Wars movies that I’ve never seen either.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:47 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Regular Reader wrote:
W_Z wrote:
Nas wrote:

I’ve never seen any of the Star Trek movies nor than a couple of minutes of any of the tv shows either. Just never had the interest in either. There may be a couple of the newer Star Wars movies that I’ve never seen either.

I thought you were sophisticated.

You've never seen Kirk fight the Gorn? One of the most dynamic fight scenes in the history of film....or just history in general. So realistic, ahead of its time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SK0cUN ... hannel=CBS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:57 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
W_Z wrote:
Nas wrote:

I thought you were sophisticated.

You've never seen Kirk fight the Gorn? One of the most dynamic fight scenes in the history of film....or just history in general. So realistic, ahead of its time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SK0cUN ... hannel=CBS

Realistic, sophisticated?!? It was corny and overwrought to me as a yout.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:03 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
You think you could take a Gorn in hand-to-hand combat? They're so quick.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:04 pm 

He's got a phaser. Just use it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Last night, Darth Vader came down from Planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Lorraine out, that he'd melt my brain.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:20 am 

Dear W_Z,

What are your thoughts so far on Picard Season 3?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:20 am 

Dad…dad, daddio.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:21 am 

Dear W_Z,

Season 3? Why I never even got through season 1. I just can’t with it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:23 am 

W_Z wrote:
Dear W_Z,

Season 3? Why I never even got through season 1. I just can’t with it.

1 and 2 are pretty much crap outside of Riker and Troi making pizza.

Give 3 a shot. I think you might like it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:25 am 

You don't need to know anything about 1 & 2 to watch the 3rd season except that the one person you don't know has a drug abuse problem but they are obviously trying to make her heroic.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:26 am 

Oh, and Picard is an android that ages like a normal person. Because, reasons.....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:27 am 

Oh, and Picard is an android that ages like a normal person. Because, reasons.....

But everybody forgot about that and nobody talks about it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:02 am 
1000 CLUB

I've heard Picard Season 3 is a lot better. The hack that ran first 2 seasons was moved to another project and they brought in someone who had worked on Star Trek before. I've heard the new Star Trek and 1st 2 seasons of Picard are among the worst TV ever made.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Are you going to do a review of Scream 6?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:55 pm 

it's coming out at a busy time...i thought the last one was decent but i'm not sure what the point is with this one. the mrs. has no interest in it, so that also factors in.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:27 am 
1000 CLUB

Did you see Hollywood Reporter take down Amazon? Its interesting reading of how Amazon and Hollywood operate and why they're losing so much money.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:05 pm 

Quote:
Another complaint is that Sanders relies heavily on feedback from focus groups, which tend to favor broad and less inclusive programming. Several Amazon insiders say the reliance on testing and data led to a clash late last summer, when an Amazon executive said in a marketing meeting for the series A League of Their Own that data showed audiences found queer stories off-putting and suggested downplaying those themes in materials promoting the show. Series co-creator Will Graham became greatly concerned about bias built into Amazon’s system for evaluating shows, which multiple sources say often ranked broad series featuring straight, white male leads above all others. One executive calls A League of Their Own “a proxy for how diverse and inclusive shows are treated.”

I found this to be remarkably interesting. It seems like they are missing the point of creating content that people want to see rather than creating content they have decided they want to make.

It's like opening a hamburger place, and having a bunch of people try it and say "Your hamburgers are too fancy" and instead of putting in a basic hamburger you pretend they are wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:58 pm 

“A League of Their Own” looked like one of the more disingenuous “checklist plug in diversity” shows. If it failed, that’s why. A lot of shows are compromising good storytelling for trying too hard to be “inclusive”. It’s the new special effects.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:11 pm 
1000 CLUB

Brick wrote:
I found this to be remarkably interesting. It seems like they are missing the point of creating content that people want to see rather than creating content they have decided they want to make.

It's like opening a hamburger place, and having a bunch of people try it and say "Your hamburgers are too fancy" and instead of putting in a basic hamburger you pretend they are wrong.

Yeah its a strange way to run a business. Its more like some kind of artist collective except nobody there has any talent so everything they make flops. I'm sure Salke, the woman who runs Amazon and MGM calls herself a "creative".

It was also interesting that the executives don't have offices or even cubicles. Its some kind of community area with lockers.

It was also interesting they gave Fleabag 60 million to make a Tomb Raider show while Disney is spending 60 million in re-shoots to take her out of the new Indiana Jones because test audiences didn't like her. Amazon gave her 20 million per year and its been 3 years and she hasn't even produced a script yet lol.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next