It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Hussra wrote:
Once heard Russell Brand, who is annoying AF 99.9% of the time, make the point that the life of a heroin junkie is thoreauean simplicity: do I have my fix or not? Without their dope, their life is hell. But once they secure their fix, unparalleled bliss.

I think it was in that movie with the fat guy from Moneyball who appears to be getting cancelled. iirc, the scene was Brand arguing with an airline attendant lady and he listed all the bullshit she has to deal with everyday in her job/life/marriage/whatever. while, he, Brand only had to worry about where his next fix was and at the moment it was in fat guy's shorts.

Have a similar discussion all the time with people, maybe the idiots that are going to work and paying taxes are the real idiots, many addicts have figured out how to get on disability and spend their days playing video games between quests to score the drug of choice, you have ample access to female addicts who are quite enthusiastic about doing whatever you want as long as you share your drugs, your food, cell phone, and lodging are all either free or at a highly discounted rate, and you hit the local ED for all your medical needs for free, seems to beat working for a living.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Clawmaster wrote:
Hussra wrote:
Once heard Russell Brand, who is annoying AF 99.9% of the time, make the point that the life of a heroin junkie is thoreauean simplicity: do I have my fix or not? Without their dope, their life is hell. But once they secure their fix, unparalleled bliss.

I think it was in that movie with the fat guy from Moneyball who appears to be getting cancelled. iirc, the scene was Brand arguing with an airline attendant lady and he listed all the bullshit she has to deal with everyday in her job/life/marriage/whatever. while, he, Brand only had to worry about where his next fix was and at the moment it was in fat guy's shorts.

Have a similar discussion all the time with people, maybe the idiots that are going to work and paying taxes are the real idiots, many addicts have figured out how to get on disability and spend their days playing video games between quests to score the drug of choice, you have ample access to female addicts who are quite enthusiastic about doing whatever you want as long as you share your drugs, your food, cell phone, and lodging are all either free or at a highly discounted rate, and you hit the local ED for all your medical needs for free, seems to beat working for a living.

Yeah. Its a wonderful lifestyle for someone who doesn't care extending their life which is why the real victims in this are the people who love the addict as in their family and good friends. I have known some addicts who are veterans and have tried to talk them into rehabbing and taking advantage of some good programs to help the homeless and addicted. I do know that it is not an easy or simple task for the addict to turn their life around. It ends up as one of the toughest things that they will ever do in their life.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:50 am 

Gonna get into something that is not widely talked about, but when you enter the military, you are trained for a job based on your ASVAB scores and that job may not or may not be in high demand when you discharge. The military also makes sure you succeed, had several ex military people in RN school, but only one made it, she said that they made sure everyone passed test while she was in MP training, the trainers would sit with you all day if necessary, of course that does not happen in civilian life.

You get a lot of vets that are highly trained in jobs that only exist within the military, these people often struggle when they rejoin civilian life. Have several family members and close family friends that are vets, one was trained to drive forklifts and still does, another was trained as a mechanic and works in college admissions, but the other two were nuclear navy, one became a nuclear engineer and the other a chemical engineer. The first two struggled financially for years while the other two did very well.

There are also vets that lived through things they will never be able to forget, and they will find ways to manage that pain, it might be psych meds and counseling or alcohol and illegal drugs.

It really is an interesting case study in when we see how the management of PTSD has changed, the older people we see were not put on psych meds to manage symptoms, and most turned to alcohol while the younger vets are heavily medicated on meds,but will become severely symptomatic at times because psych meds need to be adjusted frequently to reach the desired therapeutic effect.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Clawmaster wrote:
Gonna get into something that is not widely talked about, but when you enter the military, you are trained for a job based on your ASVAB scores and that job may not or may not be in high demand when you discharge. The military also makes sure you succeed, had several ex military people in RN school, but only one made it, she said that they made sure everyone passed test while she was in MP training, the trainers would sit with you all day if necessary, of course that does not happen in civilian life.

You get a lot of vets that are highly trained in jobs that only exist within the military, these people often struggle when they rejoin civilian life. Have several family members and close family friends that are vets, one was trained to drive forklifts and still does, another was trained as a mechanic and works in college admissions, but the other two were nuclear navy, one became a nuclear engineer and the other a chemical engineer. The first two struggled financially for years while the other two did very well.

There are also vets that lived through things they will never be able to forget, and they will find ways to manage that pain, it might be psych meds and counseling or alcohol and illegal drugs.

It really is an interesting case study in when we see how the management of PTSD has changed, the older people we see were not put on psych meds to manage symptoms, and most turned to alcohol while the younger vets are heavily medicated on meds,but will become severely symptomatic at times because psych meds need to be adjusted frequently to reach the desired therapeutic effect.

I am what you would call an old veteran who has PTSD and has been treated for it and still is. With me, I lived with PTSD for years without realizing I had it. I also didn't get treatment from the VA for other medical problems notably pain management nor some other issues because I took my care from my job health carrier. During this time I was using alcohol and pain meds to deal with my physical pain and pretty well ignored my anger issues and nightmares that affected my life in a bad way.

I happened to begin really my VA treatments as a way to deal with my nightmare and anger issues as well as family problems caused by the anger and alcohol issues. In the years doing this, I found out about PTSD, go help and my life got a lot better including my work career and family life. I have since helped in reaching out to other guys who struggle with the same crap that I dealt with.

i value very much the people like yourself who help try and deal with the addicts and mental health patients. Having someone who is a pro to talk to and offer help and caring is really important to the veteran or other people who are dealing with mental issues including addiction or alcohol related problems. I think for anyone who is a friend or just cares about his fellow man, just talking to a guy and letting them know that you are concerned about them is a good thing to do. I think it is really the least that you can do for a friend.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:43 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's

Last edited by Hussra on Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:09 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Hussra wrote:

Where's good dolphin?

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:01 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
UFO disclosure bills and authorizing magic mushrooms for vets...what's going on in Congress--are they all micro-dosing through their days. maybe they'll all get super high one day, abolish the IRS and put themselves out of jobs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:28 am 
100000 CLUB

Hussra wrote:
UFO disclosure bills and authorizing magic mushrooms for vets...what's going on in Congress--are they all micro-dosing through their days. maybe they'll all get super high one day, abolish the IRS and put themselves out of jobs.

The goverment wants us high. Why? I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: What??
If I've learned anything, it's Trust The Science.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:06 am 
100000 CLUB

Nardi wrote:
If I've learned anything, it's Trust The Science.

It'll open up your brain in ways you didn't think possible. #Microdosing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:11 am 

There certainly is a ton of mistrust and disbelief out there about psych meds, but can assure you from experience that daily life is a struggle for some vets and if they need to walk around stoned to deal with what they saw and experienced as very young men that seems fair to me.

Is a controlled dosage psych meds better than having someone getting drunk every single day and driving, or using street drugs that may contain a lethal dose of a narcotic?

It seems we owe these people whatever they need to get through the day, they have earned it.