It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hazing in Sports
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:57 pm 

I am assuming most everyone around here played sports growing up, high school, maybe even some college. What was your experiences with any type of hazing? Did you experience it? How bad was it? Did you feel abused?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Post subject: Re: Hazing in Sports
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:01 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
RFDC wrote:
I am assuming most everyone around here played sports growing up, high school, maybe even some college. What was your experiences with any type of hazing? Did you experience it? How bad was it? Did you feel abused?

I can't recall experiencing any hazing beyond carrying equipment. Naked horseplay happened just about every day in high school. None of it appeared to cross any lines, but others may have been uncomfortable with it.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:19 pm 

8th graders used to whip 7th graders with switches from the a tree before football practice. They also duct taped a kid to the tree.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:22 pm 

Nas wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I can't recall experiencing any hazing beyond carrying equipment. Naked horseplay happened just about every day in high school. None of it appeared to cross any lines, but others may have been uncomfortable with it.

No one showered at MC after practice. After games we were required to shower but everyone wore bathing suits

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
High school football and track, nothing. Maybe 1/2 showered after football practices because there was time before the activity bus picked up, maybe some towel snapping, but nobody was touching anything. College baseball, soccer, and cheerleading; baseball had freshman shave their heads, I politely declined without much pushback and nothing in soccer and (sadly) cheerleading.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I never experienced hazing in sports but I have been the low man in a hierarchy that required me to pick up checks. Frankly, I may have preferred a little dry humping.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:12 pm 

I did not really have much in my experience either. In high school baseball when I was a freshman there were 3-4 seniors that would line up the freshman and punch all of us in the arms as we were getting dressed for practice. If you just took it and didnt whine they stopped in a couple days. But if you whined about it they would do it much longer. In basketball there was the occasional wet towel snap intended to catch you in the junk.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:16 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I never experienced hazing in sports but I have been the low man in a hierarchy that required me to pick up checks. Frankly, I may have preferred a little dry humping.

That is a good point, it does happen in situations outside of sports as well.

Now that I think about it the worst "hazing" I experienced was when I worked in a factory. When you were the new guy you would have to get everything set up and endure constant pranks. I had the sleeves of my coat stapled shut. They would put this black tar like stuff on anything you might touch so that it got all over you. They would corner you and spray you with this adhesive stuff.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Top Notch Drive-In
Who the fuck is this Tall Midget pussy?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:35 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
This isn't hazing, but is weird thinking back on it. In middle school we had to take showers after gym class. This was the big open type of shower with no stalls. We had two gym teachers and one would walk around the shower with a big bottle of soap and squirt it on us as we were showering and the other would hand us towels as we walked out. On Fridays Mr. Hedien would walk around with the big bottle of soap saying "it's Friday boys, hot soap today!".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:36 pm 

Franky T wrote:
This isn't hazing, but is weird thinking back on it. In middle school we had to take showers after gym class. This was the big open type of shower with no stalls. We had two gym teachers and one would walk around the shower with a big bottle of soap and squirt it on us as we were showering and the other would hand us towels as we walked out. On Fridays Mr. Hedien would walk around with the big bottle of soap saying "it's Friday boys, hot soap today!".

:lol: That is weird.

We were required to shower, our teacher would wonder thru occasionally to make sure people were doing it, but he never passed out anything

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

Franky T wrote:

Was the soap cold Monday through Thursday?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Franky T wrote:

That’s extremely weird

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:56 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Franky T wrote:

It was warmer on Fridays oddly enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

No hazing went on for me. But I only played baseball as a freshman. On the freshman team. So there was no hierarchy. And soccer for 4 years. We didn’t do anything horrible. We didn’t do anything at all actually. Then again we were just pussy soccer players. We didn’t do the cool g.ay hazing like tough football players.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:41 pm 
100000 CLUB

On second thought, the coaches would announce our hat size every January or February before giving us a new baseball hat. Teenage Nas dreaded that day. The entire team would laugh when my hat size was announced and I had to pretend I didn't care. I didn't wear hats until after 35 because of the trauma.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
One of the benefits of my big high school at least I guess was back in the 90s in sports like football we had Freshman A/B/C, Sophomore A/B, JV, and Varsity football teams so there was less space/opportunities for hierarchy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
conns7901 wrote:
Nas wrote:
RFDC wrote:

No one showered at MC after practice. After games we were required to shower but everyone wore bathing suits

Slap-boxing on the activity bus. That wasn't fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:00 am 
Site Admin

KDdidit wrote:
One of the benefits of my big high school at least I guess was back in the 90s in sports like football we had Freshman A/B/C, Sophomore A/B, JV, and Varsity football teams so there was less space/opportunities for hierarchy.

Seems like the hierarchy was established.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:25 am 

Franky T wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Franky T wrote:

It was warmer on Fridays oddly enough.

that wasn't soap...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:51 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
I remember when I started my first job out in the pressroom right out of HS taking a lot of verbal abuse and pretty much hating everyone I worked with, being the constant target for practical jokes and constantly being yelled at for even the slightest mistakes. I can remember my dad (who was also a printer) warning me about it even before i started and telling me to take it in stride, that it goes with the territory. After a year or so of taking it it eased way back and eventually I was no longer the target and was more than happy to observe the same bullshit pranks pulled on the next wave of guys. One thing I do remember though is that some of the old-timers really leaned into it more than others, took real joy in making other peoples lives miserable. A while back I was out in the shop at my current place talking to one of our floor managers about those "good old days" and he said you don't see a lot of that anymore, people don't fuck around with each other like that any more or HR would be all over them. I mean, that is good i guess, but it kind of made me miss some of those salty old fuckers and wonder whatever became of them. Some of those guys names I'll never forget, but those years getting yelled at out there definitely helped get my ass in gear and jump-started my eventual career.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:49 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Nas wrote:
Naked horseplay happened just about every day in high school.
:shock: Where the heck did you go to high school??

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:51 am 

Franky T wrote:

our high school shower room was a big open space with a couple of metal poles in the middle of the room that had nozzles around it. You pretty much were staring someone in the face when you showered.

We grew up quickly at SICP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:46 am 
100000 CLUB

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Nas wrote:
Naked horseplay happened just about every day in high school.
:shock: Where the heck did you go to high school??

The best sports high school in the state.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Franky T wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK7jIHwEze4&t=102s

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:10 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The varsity baseball and softball teams made homemade shirts that the JV team had to wear a couple of pre-determined Fridays. Nothing crazy, they were just ugly as shit and typically colored pink or orange or another bright color that stuck out.

The freshman on the bowling team would have to carry the gear of the juniors and seniors, and occasionally clean the balls and shoes. However whichever guy you were paired up with essentially became a mentor and trainer for you to bowl better. The coach would pair up better bowlers with not so great bowlers to help everyone out.

I have zero knowledge of any naked or fruity horseplay that may have taken place. Still friends with a bunch of guys from high school who were better at sports than I was and they have never mentioned anything hinky either.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:36 am 

Nas wrote:
On second thought, the coaches would announce our hat size every January or February before giving us a new baseball hat. Teenage Nas dreaded that day. The entire team would laugh when my hat size was announced and I had to pretend I didn't care. I didn't wear hats until after 35 because of the trauma.

No. 2 Washtub?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Running laps and being denied water for fucking up at practice is all the hazing I recall.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
conns7901 wrote:

Last edited by Hussra on Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:50 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Hussra wrote:
Running laps and being denied water for fucking up at practice is all the hazing I recall.

No hazing that I recall from other players. Coaches running you till you dropped? Yes. I remember that well. I seem to remember a basketball team getting stupid hair cuts but that was as a whole and I missed out on that year due to injury and being terrible at basketball.