It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:52 pm 

Is this common in non school settings? Our brand new tech guy is instituting this. I guess a positive is I will be less likely to check my work email.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
We pointlessly started it in my non-school work last year.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
I think it is common...not a big thing when it's working...press a button on your computer, then one on your phone

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:20 pm 

Is the 2 Factor Authorization to open an individual email, or to just open your email software (i.e. Outlook)?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
We do not have it for Outlook on our phones, but there is special security software added to your phone to protect the company. We only use two factor when logging into our laptops outside company offices.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
No two factor for email but an insane password requirement and the email closes after about 5 seconds of inactivity. Phone locks and have to start all over.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:07 pm 

THe length requirement for passwords is insane. And we used to create a new one every 30 days. Thankfully they have backed off that 30 day thing.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
for some apps we have to have the microsoft authenticator app on our phone to approve our sign ins. given how many ransomware attacks occur i dont blame IT guys for requiring 2 factor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
RFDC wrote:
THe length requirement for passwords is insane. And we used to create a new one every 30 days. Thankfully they have backed off that 30 day thing.

Yea i dealt w/ a lot of automotive suppliers who forced you to change it ever 30 days. And naturally it couldn't be one that you used previously. Like wtf.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:21 pm 

we have it now as part of opening our network. outlook, etc. it's for all of it, through MS. it's real annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:23 pm 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
I'm sure part of it is simply aging...but I could remember (and still do) a slew of phone numbers...all that space in my head is now occupied by fucking passwords

I hate passwords and I really hate having to change them

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:27 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
It gives me a false sense of security. That's good enough for me.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:12 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
To answer your question...yes, it's common in the corporate world. Not specific to email, but we have to do it for all software on a daily basis.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
OscarTangoEcho wrote:
I'm sure part of it is simply aging...but I could remember (and still do) a slew of phone numbers...all that space in my head is now occupied by fucking passwords

it occurred to me what would happen if my phone got stolen/lost. I don't know anyone's phone # anymore. Like how would I contact anyone.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:26 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Is the 2 Factor Authorization to open an individual email, or to just open your email software (i.e. Outlook)?

To open Gmail.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:34 pm 

basic passwords + two factor is the only decent security these days. complex passwords dont work, as youre constantly forgetting them or they make you change them a lot.

i believe the next big craze is voice authentication. apparently its getting good enough they trust it as a password.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:22 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:

i believe the next big craze is voice authentication. apparently its getting good enough they trust it as a password.

Sounds like something AI would be able to copy easily.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Is everyone's 2FA SMS-based or using some key-generating authenticator? I feel like the services I have that use a key-gen are super secure compared to SMS, but most big name services don't appear to use it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:41 pm 

yea i believe it. SMS i keep getting told is incredibly insecure. but many 2fa use it still. the auth apps seem very good, as they use tokens every signin. many services are jumping on board... i can use google auth app for nextcloud. works perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:00 pm 

Bagels wrote:
OscarTangoEcho wrote:

it occurred to me what would happen if my phone got stolen/lost. I don't know anyone's phone # anymore. Like how would I contact anyone.

222-2222

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:30 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
It's an insurance and customer-relationship thing.

To get Cybersecurity coverage, they require you to have it set. Many customers require that level of insurance coverage so you don't really have much choice.

That may not be all cases but those are the ones I've seen.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:14 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

To get Cybersecurity coverage, they require you to have it set. Many customers require that level of insurance coverage so you don't really have much choice.

Yep. And it's another reason I wish we could abolish insurance.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:02 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Douchebag wrote:

I don't think he's talking about requiring scanning a QR code every individual email or other 2FA, it's a good idea tho: 99% of ransomware/malware/viruses enter networks/pc's via users opening emails and clicking on what they find inside. Google's AI algorithms for scanning email and filtering spam/viruses are no-contest the best; which is why everyone has dumped exchange for gmail or white-labeled gmail under their own domain.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:17 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
IkeSouth wrote:
yea i believe it. SMS i keep getting told is incredibly insecure. but many 2fa use it still. the auth apps seem very good, as they use tokens every signin. many services are jumping on board... i can use google auth app for nextcloud. works perfect.

passwords suck for sure. i try to squirrel them away in keepass and then use either the yubikey or some no-password-required alt method. but yubikey is the best, plug it it in your computer/device and unlock so many apps and websites automagically. i don't think carrying a hardware fob will ever be a mainstream thing, so it's relatively secure due to its obscurity (i.e., the hooker rifling through your shit while you're roofied on the hotel bed doesn't know to take it).

good thing to enable lock-screen lockdown on your android device and activate lockdown mode (no fp/face access) when in questionable company or as you're getting pulled over while muling meth across state lines:

cops can't force you to give up your pin or pattern in any jurisdiction--circuits are split on allowing LE to force your finger on your phone or wave it in front of your face to gain access, some say go ahead, and the rest are dubious that it's not a violation:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:26 am 

I see it as the same as you telling them you can't open your glovebox because it's locked. That's not an excuse. But if they have to destroy it to get in, they better find what they're suspecting.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:30 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

And a lot of businesses which do business with the Feds are required to have similar types of processes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:34 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
We went to it after our Epic systems went down for a few days a while back.

Microsoft office was also removed from all of our workstations and everything was removed from local and regional shared drives to a cloud based system only accessible via teams which requires access to email.

Regularly have to spend time showing people how to access email, quite a pain in the ass.

We also had to reinforce social media rules as most of the younger peeps were using the apps to share info instead of accessing internal two factor systems.

Have found the tech savvy people are usually two steps ahead of anything corporate tries to do to force peeps to read corporate emails.

Also have creepy patients stalking staff on social media, it's quite a thing if you work with the public, especially the criminal element we deal with on a daily basis.