It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:52 am 

Last 5 years+ , insanely busy

Last 3 months, insanely slow.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
2018-2022 with a brief pitstop in 2020 was gangbusters. Business slowed to a crawl as Spring turned to Summer this year, as I think a lot of budgets for new work are getting slashed or put on hold as everyone has been waiting for the next shoe to drop. New work requests have slowed to a trickle, and those that do pop are sometimes MANY weeks or even months after proposal.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
The company I work for is smart and didn't over-hire the past few years. Things slowed a bit early this year, but I'm able to put OT in consistently if I want to. Still good times!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:09 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Things will pick up as soon as Corporate America is assured Biden will be gone in 2024.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:56 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Things will pick up as soon as Corporate America is assured Biden will be gone in 2024.

It certainly feels like he's been gone for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:03 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
It's never been busier. Can't find guys who wanna work.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:12 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Darkside wrote:

They're coding

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:33 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Nas wrote:
Darkside wrote:

They're coding

They're living at their parents' houses past age 29.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:46 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Darkside wrote:
Nas wrote:
Darkside wrote:

They're coding

They're living at their parents' houses past age 29.

Just waiting for their parents to graduate so they can takeover.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Nun yo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:20 pm 

Nas wrote:
Darkside wrote:

They're coding

At least until they get replaced by Generative AI.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:10 pm 

its a weird time. its clear that ai is a generational changing technology, but it's going to be another decade before we see mass layoffs because of it. right now were just seeing the effects of jacking interest rates too fast. i dont think we will have much problem come christmas. probably another record spending year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:52 am 

IkeSouth wrote:
its a weird time. its clear that ai is a generational changing technology, but it's going to be another decade before we see mass layoffs because of it. right now were just seeing the effects of jacking interest rates too fast. i dont think we will have much problem come christmas. probably another record spending year.

Just my opinion, but its coming sooner than a decade. Right now, anything that is creative is at a high risk. Need to build a marketing deck for a new client? ChatGPT will build you the entire deck of content with just a few questions. Normally you pay thousands of dollars for that, instead you are just paying $20 for a ChatGPT subscription. Image generation will continue to evolve and allow non-creative people to create images and content that looks as good as the stuff they were paying an advertisement or website firm. Almost every client I'm working with is looking to completely replace customer service with chatbots. Is the content perfect? No. But outside of some review for accuracy, its good enough.

That said, I think an AI backlash is coming. I heard an interesting story from this guy in insurance. Basically, nurses and other care providers in some hospitals are being asked to rely completely on the results from their AI engine. A patient was lying on a bed in excruciating pain, but the nurse couldn't give him medication because their system said no more than one pill every five hours. Normally a doctor would be called to escalate to, but the hospital apparently reprimands the nurses for doing it too often due to cost, so the nurses stopped. Imagine a nurse saying, "yeah, I know this is horrible, but the computer told me 3 more hours. Hang in there!" The social engineering aspect is equally frightening.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
IkeSouth wrote:

It's cuz of you. You're the lifeblood and everybody knows it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:11 pm 

Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

Just my opinion, but its coming sooner than a decade. Right now, anything that is creative is at a high risk. Need to build a marketing deck for a new client? ChatGPT will build you the entire deck of content with just a few questions. Normally you pay thousands of dollars for that, instead you are just paying $20 for a ChatGPT subscription. Image generation will continue to evolve and allow non-creative people to create images and content that looks as good as the stuff they were paying an advertisement or website firm. Almost every client I'm working with is looking to completely replace customer service with chatbots. Is the content perfect? No. But outside of some review for accuracy, its good enough.

That said, I think an AI backlash is coming. I heard an interesting story from this guy in insurance. Basically, nurses and other care providers in some hospitals are being asked to rely completely on the results from their AI engine. A patient was lying on a bed in excruciating pain, but the nurse couldn't give him medication because their system said no more than one pill every five hours. Normally a doctor would be called to escalate to, but the hospital apparently reprimands the nurses for doing it too often due to cost, so the nurses stopped. Imagine a nurse saying, "yeah, I know this is horrible, but the computer told me 3 more hours. Hang in there!" The social engineering aspect is equally frightening.

That's the cool part though. It's going to replace most doctors, but it will be decades before machines can replace the nurses. The whole blue collar industry is going to be a lot more valuable soon, because it will be an industry that requires a human to do the job.